Apple's new 11- & 12.9-inch iPad Pros sport a massive redesign and gain Face ID, USB-C

Comments

• Reply 21 of 136
    I’m almost terrified to see the price of these new iPads. 
    Top of the line 12.9” plus the new cables you’ll need puts it close to $2,000.

I’m seriously considering that bigger size. Looks fantastic.
    edited October 2018
  • Reply 22 of 136
    ascii said:
    How much RAM will it have, more than 4?

Apple never says how much RAM is in an iOS device.
    I bet it's at least 6 gigs though usually pro iPads are higher than top iPhones
  • Reply 23 of 136

Yep, and about $2400 if you go with 1TB and WiFi/Cellular. It's a fantastic device, but my Air 2 is still going strong.
  • Reply 24 of 136
    mac_128 said:
    Ok. Apple nailed the iPad Pro. They really are listening to us musicians and other creative pros. Everything they added is exactly what we needed. Lightening was too slow as an I/O. It limited how much audio I could stream. USB-C can pass 100s of audio streams, especially with that A12x! 

A12x, USB-C, and what they did what the Apple Pencil! Yeah baby. Now, how much? I’m worried. $1,500 loaded? 

Except they removed the headphone jack. More dongles. I know of no musicians asking for that. Lightning wasn’t the issue, as it can support USB 3 speeds, just Apple limiting it. But USB-C is more universal for a device positioned as a PC replacement.
    Shouldn’t you be moving on from the headphone jack concern? The narrative is getting a bit stale and, as someone mentioned earlier in the comments, “those cheap 3.5mm parts are just not up to pro studio quality in terms of ruggedness. 3.5mm is a nightmare in recording studios and live venues”
    tmayStrangeDaysJWSCshark5150doozydozen
  • Reply 25 of 136
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    ascii said:

Yep but if people are going to start using them for Pro apps they may have to.
    SpamSandwichdysamoriacanukstormdhawkins541
  • Reply 26 of 136
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    Well, I was wrong on the USB-C and the placement of the Smart Connecter it seems. I don't really get why they moved the Smart Connecter away from the edge, or even kept it given the changes they made. Presumably the keyboard folio is using it.
  • Reply 27 of 136
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Ok, just ordered two new 12.9” models. Space Grey fior the first time. Two new Pencils too. Surprised at the increases in prices though, particularly for the Pencil.

but, we’re really stoked at what we saw in the presentation. The new A12X chip is really powered up this year. I was thinking they may go to 4 hi performance cores and 4 hi efficiency cores. Happy to see that’s right. Impressed by the GPU as well. New Pencil looks great. Wonder how many levels? Also, how much RAM. Have to check Apple’s site to see if that’s listed.

intereasted that they did go USB C. I hope its actually more compatible with normal drives, etc.
    edited October 2018 patchythepirate
  • Reply 28 of 136
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    I didn't think Apple was going to go the USB-C route and they did, WOW. If I upgrade my iPad, now I'm going to have to deal with 2 different cables to charge with. I don't really see the reason in going to USB-C. But be a big enough one for Apple to do it. Then there's the prices,...ouch.
  • Reply 29 of 136

Yep, and about $2400 if you go with 1TB and WiFi/Cellular. It's a fantastic device, but my Air 2 is still going strong.
    With the amount of processing power in these new models, I suspect it won’t be much longer until they announce both Logic Pro and Final Cut Pro for iPad.
    razorpit
  • Reply 30 of 136
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,309member

I have the first generation iPad Pro 12.9 and I'll be keeping it for at least one more generation, giving time for developers to drop a whole lot of new pro apps. 

AutoCAD will be useful for a whole lot of people, but Fusion 360 on the iPad Pro would definitely be of interest to me.
  • Reply 31 of 136

mac_128 said:
    Seems like the 100 year old headphone jack is gone? But still on the brand new MacBook Air!

Professional audio producers will likely be skipping the iPad Pro, or invest in a lot of dongles ...
    It’s not nearly 100 years old, though analog is. Look, no pro uses that for anything other than headphones these days. Ior at least, they shouldn’t. The quality of the DACs are decent, but not up to pro quality. That may work for a DJ, but not for high quality work, such as recording, which the iPad Pro is used for in mobile a lot more than you would think.

Edoi: Just saw the AI article. Apple has a $9 adapter for the headphone jack, it you really want it. Also an adapter for SD cards.
    edited October 2018 StrangeDays
  • Reply 32 of 136
    ascii said:
    ascii said:

Yep but if people are going to start using them for Pro apps they may have to.
    Well, as soon as the embargo is over, maybe today, or the 6th, we’ll know, I don’t know why Apple just doesn’t put it down in the tech space since its not a secret.
  • Reply 33 of 136
    ascii said:

I bet it's at least 6 gigs though usually pro iPads are higher than top iPhones
    Yeah, based on the Adobe demo, I suspect there is at least 6 GB RAM!
    dhawkins541
  • Reply 34 of 136

With the amount of processing power in these new models, I suspect it won’t be much longer until they announce both Logic Pro and Final Cut Pro for iPad.
    At least Logic. We’ll have to see if they think the screen size is too small for FCP.
  • Reply 35 of 136
    ascii said:
    My own guess would be at least 6GB and possibly 8GB if they're showing desktop versions of Autocad and Photoshop + Xbox One S level games. 
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 36 of 136
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    It’s a little weird though that there are zero Apple wired headphones that will work with this thing. Is there a USB adapter for the Lightning EarPods?
  • Reply 37 of 136
    melgross said:

At least Logic. We’ll have to see if they think the screen size is too small for FCP.
    Used in combination with a 5K monitor, as shown in the presentation would be a great combo.
  • Reply 38 of 136
    ascii said:
    My own guess would be at least 6GB and possibly 8GB if they're showing desktop versions of Autocad and Photoshop + Xbox One S level games. 
    Yeah. Adobe was showing a 3Gig file running - quickly!
    edited October 2018 SpamSandwich
  • Reply 39 of 136
    Seriously considering selling my 2015 13" rMBP (16GB / 256GB) and 2018 iPad (128GB) and replacing both with a new 12.9" iPad Pro + Pencil + Keyboard. Net cost might even be a wash...so, could I actually make the switch...hmmm...
  • Reply 40 of 136
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    melgross said:

Used in combination with a 5K monitor, as shown in the presentation would be a great combo.
    It looks like it’s just mirrored and doesn’t even use the entire display because of that aspect ratio. It would’ve been something else entirely if it ran a separate secondary 5K display and the iPad was its own control surface. Wonder if that’s possible or could be with a software update?
    emoeller