Apple's new Mac mini finally arrives with 5X performance, Thunderbolt 3, more

Comments

• Reply 21 of 133
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Okay, no iMac refresh, no mention of Mac Pro. I’m currently using a Late 2013 iMac 27” 14,2 with the Core i7 Haswell 3.5Ghz and it’s running Mojave just fine. I suppose I’ll just keep waiting for a new iMac for now. 
    Scot1docno42pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 133
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    lkrupp said:
    Okay, no iMac refresh, no mention of Mac Pro. I’m currently using a Late 2013 iMac 27” 14,2 with the Core i7 Haswell 3.5Ghz and it’s running Mojave just fine. I suppose I’ll just keep waiting for a new iMac for now. 
    The Mac mini now has more cores than the iMac!
  • Reply 23 of 133
    ascii said:
    lkrupp said:
    And the iPad Pro has more cores than the Mac mini!
    radarthekatandrewj5790magman1979fastasleepcornchipwatto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 24 of 133
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    ascii said:
    lkrupp said:
    And the iPad Pro has more cores than the Mac mini!
    And the Apple Watch, oh wait...
    radarthekatgrifmxMplsPdtb200pscooter63
  • Reply 25 of 133
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    Still sticking with the Intel integrated graphics I see. I suppose all the other improvements somewhat negate the need for a dedicated GFX card, but some won't be happy. Apple definitely got the ports right - all current users should be able to swap one of these in without much hassle. Plus more TB via USB-C. they even kept the Ethernet port.  I like all of this.  My Late 2012 is still running strong, but if it poops the bed, this new model will be a good replacement.
    watto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 26 of 133
    Apple ALMOST nailed the Mac Mini. They should have offered one with dual flash SSDs like the iMac Pro and a maybe a SATA bus for 2nd large SATA SSD. An i9 would have been nice. 

However, 64GBs RAM, 2TB flash, 6-Core i7 and the T2, (love all that!), if it’s not $2500 for the high end model I’ll buy a pair. And please, no more soldering parts Apple please. I’m still using modified 2009 Mac Pros for a reason. 

We’ll see. 
    “Our pro customers have been asking for the slower, cheaper performance of SATA-3” 
    In some cases yes, when size matters more than speed, and vice versa: dual drive bays for raid, for those that need drive speed, or redundancy, or an internal Time Machine backup.  I can imagine an SSD fusion drive setup for example, with a pricey high speed 256 paired with a 2TB SATAIII ssd for storage for a couple of hundred dollars - for all the minimalism there seem so many add ons required, again like an eGPU vs an internal discrete option...

I harken back to the 2011 mini, which had the most versatile 'clean' setup of any mini I know, including clear (vs grey) aluminum, which shows scratches less...

"Note: Mac mini storage is not user accessible. If you think you may need more storage capacity in the future, consider upgrading at the time of purchase." 

Is storage fixed or just 'user inaccessible' like the iMac Pro ram, or even the 2011 mini...?  

If connected hopefully industry standard, vs the freak show that Apple 'design' became since, well, you know... : 
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Description=pcie ssd&Submit=ENE

edited October 2018
  • Reply 27 of 133
    $4,199 for the Maxed out mini! While I'm hopeful that the ram will be upgraded via third party ram (read $1,000 less!), the fact is the SSD is Apple proprietary and so either you upgrade when you order or your pretty stuck until used minis start showing up on eBay. 

Unfortunately, I feel Apple is losing touch with reality and that Tim Cook has surrounded himself with rich "yes" people, as the mini was originally made so the "poor" could afford a entry level computer, today that stopped as $800 is not affordable compared to entry level PC's, this logic also applies to iPads.  Apple needs to introduce a sub-$500 entry level computer that would allow the masses to embrace.  Ie, the mini default ram should be 16 and 8 for a true entry level $499 (today's offer is an insult to anyone with any computer knowledge!!)

Long Live Steve Job and I hope he visits Tim Cook in his dreams to wake Tim up to the masses that need better access... (Tim, this is why Android is still around, offer an actual affordable, true lowend product for the poor!!)
  • Reply 28 of 133
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,036member
    Ordered one and it is supposed to deliver next week.

3.2GHz 6‑core 8th‑generation Intel Core i7 (Turbo Boost up to 4.6GHz)
    16GB 2666MHz DDR4
    256 GB SSD

I have decided to trade in my trusty but infrequently used MacBook Pro 13" and am getting a decent trade in.

It should make a nice replacement for the 2014 Mac mini sitting in the home office and already have a nice 32" UHD display for it.
    GHammer
  • Reply 29 of 133
    OMG. Finally. The wait is over! The new Mac mini.... sold!
    watto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 30 of 133
    ascii said:
    Same chassis after all this time, whaaaaa?
    I prefer same chassis. No change. The form factor fits well on my desk. Why change? It's a mini Mac. Only Mac Pro will change.
    watto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 31 of 133
    Johan42Johan42 Posts: 163member
    Apple ALMOST nailed the Mac Mini. They should have offered one with dual flash SSDs like the iMac Pro and a maybe a SATA bus for 2nd large SATA SSD. An i9 would have been nice. 

However, 64GBs RAM, 2TB flash, 6-Core i7 and the T2, (love all that!), if it’s not $2500 for the high end model I’ll buy a pair. And please, no more soldering parts Apple please. I’m still using modified 2009 Mac Pros for a reason. 

We’ll see. 
    “Our pro customers have been asking for the slower, cheaper performance of SATA-3” 
    Yes, the “slower, cheaper” interface would be great for the average person who doesn’t deal with large data transfers and don’t want to break the bank.
    sflocal said:
    nightwatch said:

We’ll see. 
    SATA is obsolete.  TB3 is where it's all at.  Besides, you can get a TB3-Sata adapter (usually via a dock) if you must use those old drives.  I'm surprised they still put legacy USB ports in there.  

This is a solid machine.  I'm may seriously consider one of these for the office but will wait to see what the new iMacs look like first.

SATA isn’t obsolete and it isn’t going anywhere anytime soon.
  • Reply 32 of 133
    netling said:
    $4,199 for the Maxed out mini! While I'm hopeful that the ram will be upgraded via third party ram (read $1,000 less!), the fact is the SSD is Apple proprietary and so either you upgrade when you order or your pretty stuck until used minis start showing up on eBay. 

Unfortunately, I feel Apple is losing touch with reality and that Tim Cook has surrounded himself with rich "yes" people, as the mini was originally made so the "poor" could afford a entry level computer, today that stopped as $800 is not affordable compared to entry level PC's, this logic also applies to iPads.  Apple needs to introduce a sub-$500 entry level computer that would allow the masses to embrace.  Ie, the mini default ram should be 16 and 8 for a true entry level $499 (today's offer is an insult to anyone with any computer knowledge!!)

Long Live Steve Job and I hope he visits Tim Cook in his dreams to wake Tim up to the masses that need better access... (Tim, this is why Android is still around, offer an actual affordable, true lowend product for the poor!!)
    The US dollar isn’t worth what it used to be. Yesterday’s $500 computer now costs $800 thanks to dollar devaluation. Don’t think even for one minute that purchasing power is unchanging over time.

And if a person is as impoverished as you seem to be suggesting, their last concern is a cheap computer.
    edited October 2018 JonInAtlRayz2016fastasleepStrangeDayschiapscooter63brucemcwatto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 33 of 133
    So, they went from a base-priced Mac Mini of $499 to a base-priced Mac Mini of $799 (and no one with any sense would buy one with 128GB of storage)? I realize they beefed them up considerably, but at that price-point, I just don't see it being a choice over an iMac or a portable.
  • Reply 34 of 133
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 878member
    So, they went from a base-priced Mac Mini of $499 to a base-priced Mac Mini of $799 (and no one with any sense would buy one with 128GB of storage)? I realize they beefed them up considerably, but at that price-point, I just don't see it being a choice over an iMac or a portable.
    For a quick little zippy server the $799 is mighty fine... with 128GB?  A yeah very usable, I have projects that need the 3.6GHz and only use 30GB...
    fastasleepwatto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 35 of 133
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    I love the 180° turn in Mac design. Maybe I'm living in the reality distortion field, but the last few Mac hardware updates seem much more substantial. I love seeing them move their T chip technology through the Mac line. One could argue that the most likely Mac to leave off the T chip is the Mini—its (traditionally) such minimalist Mac. Putting a T chip in the Mini sends a signal that this is a core component fo the Mac platform moving forward.

When Intel leaves Apple with no significantly new tech for years, Apple has gotten resourceful and developed some great supporting technology. Best part about it is no other vendor can just order T chips from Intel to make equivalent secure machines. Apple is designing they own differentiating tech and they don't have to share it. Apple has been crafting a PR story about privacy and security for years. Now they have that strategy baked into silicon that will soon be shipping in every Mac.

Puling in a tangential story: The way the iPad Pro is evolving points to a possible future where Macs and iOS devices are less separate systems designed to communicate with each other and become planets orbiting the binary star of MacOS & iOS. Some devices are close in to their host star (Macs, iPhones) some will orbit both as a binary system (iPad Pro). As time & tech move forward, it seems likely that more devices will jump to the higher orbit. Longer term, perhaps the distinction between MacOS & iOS will become insignificant for all but the most technical users.

To sum up: It appears to me that Apple is navigating its own path and developing its own technology to get it where it's going. I'm happy to be on board the platform that makes it's own OS's, develops almost all its own processing chips and isn't afraid to charge what the resulting products are worth, ensuring viability of the platform long-term.
    fastasleeptoysandmegeorgecreedled_2dtb200cornchipsarricawatto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 36 of 133
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    netling said:

The US dollar isn’t worth what it used to be. Yesterday’s $500 computer now costs $800 thanks to dollar devaluation. Don’t think even for one minute that purchasing power is unchanging over time.

And if a person is as impoverished as you seem to be suggesting, their last concern is a cheap computer.
    To extend your point about the impoverished not needing to worry about the cost of Macs:

I imagine many people came up like I did, without the money for a Mac. We built crappy PCs or bought them inexpensively from Gateway200. We developed some skill. We translated that skill to a career. And poof, we can afford Macs now.
    StrangeDaysdocno42pscooter63cornchipsarricabrucemcbkkcanuckwatto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 37 of 133
    Don't need much zip for macOS Server these days. Overkill for a server anyway (kinda like having a Mac Pro as a sever). https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208312
    edited October 2018
  • Reply 38 of 133
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Welp, people got what they wanted. What will the next complaint be? (Price, of course, right)
    Of course!

I love what they did, but, for me, the $799 entry level machine is too rich for my blood to replace my headless Mac mini since I only connect to it a couple times a week via my MBP so it just doesn't warrant the price at the point. (Note: That is not a statement that the prices are too high, that Apple is raping us, or that Apple is greedy, only that it's not the right product for me at this time.)

PS: From the demo it kind of looks like the RAM might be socketed again. I have doubts that it is, but it did look like two RAM sticks overlapping each other on screen.
    edited October 2018 muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 133
    Soli said:
    Welp, people got what they wanted. What will the next complaint be? (Price, of course, right)
    Of course!

I love what they did, but, for me, the $799 entry level machine is too rich for my blood to replace my headless Mac mini since I only connect to it a couple times a week via my MBP so it just doesn't warrant the price at the point.

PS: From the demo it kind of looks like the RAM might be socketed again. I have doubts that it is, but it did look like two RAM sticks overlapping each other on screen.
    I love it too. Long time coming, just to much "ching"
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 133
    can we put in our own drives is the question?