Apple unveils all new 13-inch MacBook Air with Retina display, Thunderbolt 3 and more

Comments

• Reply 41 of 181
    jcs2305 said:
    So far, a meh presentation with nothing that wasn't already known.
    Isn't that every presentation anymore? With all the "leaks" and Youtube stuff out there daily for months before the actual announcements. Kind of takes the fun out of these things for me.
    I was also referring to the quality of the presentations themselves.

Btw, didn't the rumors hint at some sort of an iMac update as well, or was I imagining it?
  • Reply 42 of 181
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Speegs said:
    $1199 laptop with a base storage of 128gb in 2018 brehs. 

This company is price gouging its customers more than ever before. 
    Don’t buy it then. This is super fast NVMe storage. I rather have fast storage than useless slow storage. 
    Fast is good but let’s face it you can get really fast NVM storage, along with capacity pretty cheap these days.  
    rogifan_newcanukstormirelandelijahg
  • Reply 43 of 181
    Love the new MacMini and will replace my 2012 4-core models right away
    Rayz2016 said:
    Hello. 

New Mac Mini. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 181
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    I agree that the branding of the air and the MacBook don’t make a whole lot of sense. 

The air is heavier. It’s a strange line up. The air might make sense as a sub $1000 machine(or alternatively the cheapest MacBook would be < $1000). 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 181
    Yeah I'm confused. If the Macbook were cheaper than fair enough. Or if it had additional selling points, besides being lighter, like FaceID fine. Is there even a sign it has had a spec bump? Doesn't look like it. Similarly with the iMacs. When do you think is best guess for when both of those will receive an update? And do you think any of the Macs will get FaceID or will Apple use TouchID for for Macs and FaceID for iOS?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 46 of 181
    chia said:
    rMBA! Just what everybody wanted, right? Will be curious to see what happens w/ the MB. 
    Ben Bajarin (@BenBajarin) 10/30/18, 9:25 AM PC OEMs breath a collective sigh of relief there is now lower cost Mac.
    Presentation isn’t over yet! It’s possible the current MacBooks get pushed down in price to below $1000 now that the MacBook Air comes in at $1200 with two Thunderbolt 3 and a larger Retina Display.
    Maybe. Odd that the laptop with Air in its name isn’t the lightest laptop Apple sells. We’ll see how much longer Apple gets away with raising prices. Competition is selling really good devices now at cheaper price points.
    Raising prices? It’s bigger and better in every way than the current MacBook, AND cheaper. 
    How is it better in every way than the current MacBook? And if it is what exactly is the point of the MacBook? And who is the audience for this device? $1200 is expensive for schools and students. The Surface 2 laptop with 8GB RAM and 128GB SSD starts at $999. That’s what this new MBA will be compared to. I’m not arguing whether new products are better. But these days better most of the time new means more expensive. Like the 2nd gen Apple Pencil which is $30 more than the 1st gen.
    elijahg
  • Reply 47 of 181
    Another weird thing, maybe an error on the UK site as they update it: but on the University store, which I use, the new Macbook Air image is showing and begins at £854.40, while the Macbook starts at £1124.40. Now I don't need the extra ports and prefer the lighter weight, but that price differential is nuts.

Apologies...it's slightly misleading. Education Store shows new Macbook Air image and says starts at £854.40, but clicking through that is for the old model. It's £1078.80 for entry level new Air.
    edited October 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 48 of 181
    MtotheHMtotheH Posts: 2unconfirmed, member

MtotheH said:
    This was the announcement I was hoping for, but the price point is not. I had hoped $899 or $999 for the 128Gb. I can't just drop a grand+ when my 2013 model is humming just fine for my needs. Bummer.
    If you don't need the tool, you don't need the tool. 
    But...but...It's shiny, and new, and fast, and retina. But, you are also correct. Heck, I'm still running a 2010 MBP just fine as well. Maybe Santa will bring it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 49 of 181
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    chia said:
    rMBA! Just what everybody wanted, right? Will be curious to see what happens w/ the MB. 
    Ben Bajarin (@BenBajarin) 10/30/18, 9:25 AM PC OEMs breath a collective sigh of relief there is now lower cost Mac.
    Presentation isn’t over yet! It’s possible the current MacBooks get pushed down in price to below $1000 now that the MacBook Air comes in at $1200 with two Thunderbolt 3 and a larger Retina Display.
    Maybe. Odd that the laptop with Air in its name isn’t the lightest laptop Apple sells. We’ll see how much longer Apple gets away with raising prices. Competition is selling really good devices now at cheaper price points.
    Raising prices? It’s bigger and better in every way than the current MacBook, AND cheaper. 
    How is it better in every way than the current MacBook? And if it is what exactly is the point of the MacBook? And who is the audience for this device? $1200 is expensive for schools and students. The Surface 2 laptop with 8GB RAM and 128GB SSD starts at $999. That’s what this new MBA will be compared to. I’m not arguing whether new products are better. But these days better most of the time new means more expensive. Like the 2nd gen Apple Pencil which is $30 more than the 1st gen.
    If you can’t tell why it’s better than the current MB, I honestly don’t know what you’re doing here. It’s better I’m every measurable way except for size/weight. 

The audience is the many millions of people who adore the 13” MacBook Air which is probably one of the most if not the most popular Mac ever and have been waiting for an update. Also why they kept the name I’m guessing. Nobody is going to overthink this and they’re going to sell a shit ton of them. 

The MacBook is now the low end older model, and it serves the same purpose as other devices like it in the past to be just that. 

As for price, go look up the original price for the first gen MacBook Air. We’ll wait. 
    StrangeDaysmwhiterhinotuffelijahgrandominternetpersonpscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 50 of 181
    aknabiaknabi Posts: 211member
    It really seems crowded and confused pricing and feature/function/form-wise between the MB, nMBA and nTB 13 MBP... I didn't catch if the MBA is fanless (don't think so?), if so then I can see it as an alternative to the MB for those wanting a bit more room and 2 ports (and maybe thermals are better to avoid throttling)...

If it does have a fan seems that I'd want the increase performance of the MBP for $100 more (was comparing a 16GB, 256MB)... but of course we're talking 7th Gen on the MBP vs 8th on the MBA...

Anyway if I were Joe/Jane consumer I'd be confused as which one to get and it's seem antithetical to Saint Jobs's product matrix gospels. 

baconstangelijahgwatto_cobra
  • Reply 51 of 181
    chia said:
    If you can’t tell why it’s better than the current MB, I honestly don’t know what you’re doing here. It’s better I’m every measurable way except for size/weight. 

The audience is the many millions of people who adore the 13” MacBook Air which is probably one of the most if not the most popular Mac ever and have been waiting for an update. Also why they kept the name I’m guessing. Nobody is going to overthink this and they’re going to sell a shit ton of them. 

The MacBook is now the low end older model, and it serves the same purpose as other devices like it in the past to be just that. 

As for price, go look up the original price for the first gen MacBook Air. We’ll wait. 
    $1799. So what? I’m comparing it to what’s on the market now. Also the rMB is more expensive than a device you say is better in every way. How does that make sense? Why does the rMB exist? Why did it take Apple 4 years to put a retina screen in the MBA?
    muthuk_vanalingamelijahganantksundaram
  • Reply 52 of 181
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member

MtotheH said:
    This was the announcement I was hoping for, but the price point is not. I had hoped $899 or $999 for the 128Gb. I can't just drop a grand+ when my 2013 model is humming just fine for my needs. Bummer.
    If you don't need the tool, you don't need the tool. 
    Yes, and yes. I am impressed by and interested in the new MBA to replace mine when the time comes. I do expect the price to drop over time with deals. It will be under $1000 in a year or so. Then I'll need the tool. 

And at the risk on incurring the AI wrath, the tariffs are coming, and this consumer tax will cause prices to rise. 
  • Reply 53 of 181

aknabi said:
    It really seems crowded and confused pricing and feature/function/form-wise between the MB, nMBA and nTB 13 MBP... I didn't catch if the MBA is fanless (don't think so?), if so then I can see it as an alternative to the MB for those wanting a bit more room and 2 ports (and maybe thermals are better to avoid throttling)...

If it does have a fan seems that I'd want the increase performance of the MBP for $100 more (was comparing a 16GB, 256MB)... but of course we're talking 7th Gen on the MBP vs 8th on the MBA...

Anyway if I were Joe/Jane consumer I'd be confused as which one to get and it's seem antithetical to Saint Jobs's product matrix gospels. 

Agreed. Especially with keeping the old Air around and charging $999 for it. Nothing makes sense and the die hard Air lovers lose USB-A and the old keyboard style. I really think now was the time to kill the Air. Or they should have introduced a retina Air 3-4 years ago and the rMB shouldn’t exist.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 54 of 181
    MacBook will be the low cost option. Maybe not directly though Apple but I’ve seen Best Buy & others already offer the 256GB version for as low as $850. Expect to to see that sale price more often. 
    edited October 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 55 of 181
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    chia said:
    Crazy nonsense. $1200 is half the price of their beefier MBP. You compare it to a PC laptop, which is only 200 bucks cheaper -- but its a crappy PC laptop! You can keep the 200 bucks... If you want PC prices, buy a PC and stop crying into your cup.
    baconstangrandominternetpersonelijahgwatto_cobra
  • Reply 56 of 181
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member

chia said:

$1799. So what? I’m comparing it to what’s on the market now. Also the rMB is more expensive than a device you say is better in every way. How does that make sense? Why does the rMB exist? Why did it take Apple 4 years to put a retina screen in the MBA?
    The original MBA was $1800 + $1000 for SSD. In today's dollars that's almost $3300. So in ten years it's gotten significantly cheaper. Yet the whining.

Why do you continually make these over-worried arguments questioning why Apple does what it does? Why do their product offerings offend you so much? Don't like them, then buy yourself a PC and be done with it, it's better than whining about being unhappy all the time isn't it? Why do you want to be unhappy? You have the power to change your life. Don't wait!
    edited October 2018 fastasleepbaconstangelijahgpscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 57 of 181

OK, but explain again how the MBA is better than the MBP? 
  • Reply 58 of 181
    chia said:
    Crazy nonsense. $1200 is half the price of their beefier MBP. You compare it to a PC laptop, which is only 200 bucks cheaper -- but its a crappy PC laptop! You can keep the 200 bucks... If you want PC prices, buy a PC and stop crying into your cup.
    Surface Laptop 2 is crappy PC laptop? So that’s why Mashable said it was the best laptop you can buy in 2018.

https://mashable.com/review/microsoft-surface-laptop-2/
    xixoelijahgavon b7
  • Reply 59 of 181
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    wgarym said:

OK, but explain again how the MBA is better than the MBP? 
    I never said it was.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 60 of 181
    What is the difference between the $1,199 and $1,399 base models? The specs on the Apple Store look identical.