Apple's new 11- & 12.9-inch iPad Pros sport a massive redesign and gain Face ID, USB-C

Comments

• Reply 41 of 136
    mariomario Posts: 348member
    Give us Terminal, filesystem, Xcode and it could become viable computing device. Until then, this is glorified facebook machine.
  • Reply 42 of 136
    crudman said:
    Seriously considering selling my 2015 13" rMBP (16GB / 256GB) and 2018 iPad (128GB) and replacing both with a new 12.9" iPad Pro + Pencil + Keyboard. Net cost might even be a wash...so, could I actually make the switch...hmmm...
    I’d do it. Considering selling my current model iPad Pro, older model iPad Air 2 and older iPhone and getting the 12.9” iPad Pro and new Pencil...
  • Reply 43 of 136
    melgross said:
    ascii said:
    How much RAM will it have, more than 4?
    My own guess would be at least 6GB and possibly 8GB if they're showing desktop versions of Autocad and Photoshop + Xbox One S level games. 
    Yeah. Adobe was showing a 3Gig file running - quickly!
    Yeah, and Adobe is not known for svelte code  :D
    SpamSandwichdoozydozen
  • Reply 44 of 136
    Just to clarify something, the new iPads are 1000x the ORIGINAL iPad. A 1000x improvement over the last generation would be incredible.
    fastasleepemoellerchiaradarthekat
  • Reply 45 of 136
    Every new product Apple announced today is more expensive than what it replaced.
    muthuk_vanalingampatchythepirateradarthekatdoozydozendhawkins541
  • Reply 46 of 136

melgross said:

I’m almost terrified to see the price of these new iPads. 
    Top of the line 12.9” plus the new cables you’ll need puts it close to $2,000.

I’m seriously considering that bigger size. Looks fantastic.
    Yep, and about $2400 if you go with 1TB and WiFi/Cellular. It's a fantastic device, but my Air 2 is still going strong.
    With the amount of processing power in these new models, I suspect it won’t be much longer until they announce both Logic Pro and Final Cut Pro for iPad.
    At least Logic. We’ll have to see if they think the screen size is too small for FCP.
    Used in combination with a 5K monitor, as shown in the presentation would be a great combo.
    It looks like it’s just mirrored and doesn’t even use the entire display because of that aspect ratio. It would’ve been something else entirely if it ran a separate secondary 5K display and the iPad was its own control surface. Wonder if that’s possible or could be with a software update?
    A mirrored iPad Pro display will be a disappointment without multiple overlapping windows open at the same time...   That would require macOS running on ARM.

It certainly seems possible/likely that Apple can do that.  My biggest letdown is there is no real Xcode on the iPad Pro.
  • Reply 47 of 136
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    mario said:
    Give us Terminal, filesystem, Xcode and it could become viable computing device. Until then, this is glorified facebook machine.
    Another nutty post from someone who doesn’t know what a computer is.
    StrangeDaystmayandrewj5790ericthehalfbeechiaSpamSandwichdoozydozen
  • Reply 48 of 136
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Every new product Apple announced today is more expensive than what it replaced.

You forgot your 'up-sell 'whine.

fastasleepStrangeDaysandrewj5790ericthehalfbeeronn
  • Reply 49 of 136
    melgross said:
    ascii said:
    My own guess would be at least 6GB and possibly 8GB if they're showing desktop versions of Autocad and Photoshop + Xbox One S level games. 
    Or having excellent multicore performance. Maybe that changed here. The idea of running a complex 3Gig comp on an iPad is crazy!
    fastasleeptmaychiaSpamSandwich
  • Reply 50 of 136

Just to clarify something, the new iPads are 1000x the ORIGINAL iPad. A 1000x improvement over the last generation would be incredible.
    It’s incredible enough that it’s just 8 years.
    muthuk_vanalingamchiaSpamSandwich
  • Reply 51 of 136
    I’d like to see the 12.9 running Office 365 (web).  It might be a business laptop replacement...
  • Reply 52 of 136
    mario said:
    Add in floppy drive and liquid cooling as long as we’re going for completely useless additions. 
    andrewj5790ronnanomechiamacky the mackypatchythepirateradarthekatdoozydozen
  • Reply 53 of 136
    melgross said:
    melgross said:
    ascii said:
    Or having excellent multicore performance. Maybe that changed here. The idea of running a complex 3Gig comp on an iPad is crazy!
    The Adobe AR [aptly yclept] Arrow Demo was even more crazy augmenting that same 3Gig comp. 
  • Reply 54 of 136
    aknabiaknabi Posts: 211member
    Nice job on the new iPads (though the price points are getting a bit painful)... BUT!!!! The keep the iPad mini 4 in the presentation... no upgrade at all, no price drop... what the??? And did it with a totally straight face.

It seems it would have been less insulting to drop it from the line up.

It's actually the one I need right now for my bedtime safari-on-line subscription tech book reader (and in general the weight/size is just right for some of us)... so will continue to wait and hope for a processor bump (or grab one when they drop it).
    razorpit
  • Reply 55 of 136
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    kruegdude said:
    mario said:
    Add in floppy drive and liquid cooling as long as we’re going for completely useless additions. 

A punched card reader.

If there is no punched card reader in the next iPad Pro then Apple is dead to me …

andrewj5790ronnanomechiamacky the mackyradarthekatdoozydozen
  • Reply 56 of 136
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    seankill said:
    sflocal said:
    So finally, an iOS device using USBc.  Bittersweet, but necessary.  Finally just one cable.

This iPad is a beast.
    I’m going to hate it but I hope the iPhone follows, seems dumb not to roll the iPhone to USB-C also. 
    Rayz2016 said:
    So, next year’s iPhone?

Will they move to USB-C, or will the port vanish altogether?

I actually like the lightning cable better than the USB C, but I would also rather they have some consistency across their product line. Honestly, if they were switching to USB C for iPads, why didn’t they switch to USB C for the Xs/Xr/Xs max? 

I doubt they will ditch it all together. It’s still way too functional. 

Also, I’m curious as to what the justification for leaving the headphone jack off the ipad is. It’s not waterproofing. It’s not space. They may argue that it’s outdated, but the fact of the matter is it’s still the single most common headphone connector in the world. Either way, if you want to use wired headphones, you have a choice between 3.5mm, lightning and USB C and we’re going to need a USB C - 3.5mm connector. Things are getting confusing.

Either way, these machines should have awesome performance. My 12” iPad Pro does great as it is, and it only has an A10 processor.
    edited October 2018
  • Reply 57 of 136
    With those hardware specs, where is Xcode for iPad Pro?
    razorpitmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 58 of 136
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member
    mario said:
    Total bullshit. Not being a dev machine in no way makes it not a computer or powerful device.

You're making the neckbeard mistake of believing *your* use case is equal to *all* use cases. Ego thinking.
    fastasleeptmayandrewj5790ronndoozydozenRayz2016
  • Reply 59 of 136
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member

Every new product Apple announced today does way more than what it replaced.

See how that works? You exchange money, for things of value

Thankfully for you, you aren't required to buy the top of the line offerings. You can buy the regular iPad, which at $329, is *cheaper* than what it replaced. Heavens!
    edited October 2018 fastasleeprazorpitandrewj5790brucemcRayz2016ronnmacky the mackypatchythepiratedoozydozen
  • Reply 60 of 136
    mariomario Posts: 348member
    kruegdude said:
    mario said:
    I actually develop software. I use terminal 99% of the time. How about you? Click on pictures to code?
    tht