Apple's new Mac mini finally arrives with 5X performance, Thunderbolt 3, more

Comments

• Reply 41 of 133
    First one booked with delivery for Nov 16.
    More to follow...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 133
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    grifmx said:
    can we put in our own drives is the question?
    Since all the storage is now all PCIe-based SSDs with a T2 chip to work in conjunction with the SSD, I'm assuming that it's soldered.
    edited October 2018 tenthousandthingswelshdogmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 133
    ElCapitan said:
    More to follow…
    That seems like a long time since they come out Nov 07. Did you get something with a lot of low-volume customizations, like 64 GiB RAM?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 133
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    welshdog said:
    Still sticking with the Intel integrated graphics I see. I suppose all the other improvements somewhat negate the need for a dedicated GFX card, but some won't be happy. Apple definitely got the ports right - all current users should be able to swap one of these in without much hassle. Plus more TB via USB-C. they even kept the Ethernet port.  I like all of this.  My Late 2012 is still running strong, but if it poops the bed, this new model will be a good replacement.
     Vega eGPU. 
  • Reply 45 of 133
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Welp, people got what they wanted. What will the next complaint be? (Price, of course, right)

Recycled aluminium smells funny or some such nonsense.

Stenchgate.

You saw it here first.
    welshdogStrangeDayslkrupphubbaxpscooter63watto_cobraargonaut
  • Reply 46 of 133

Soli said:
    Welp, people got what they wanted. What will the next complaint be? (Price, of course, right)
    Of course!

I love what they did, but, for me, the $799 entry level machine is too rich for my blood to replace my headless Mac mini since I only connect to it a couple times a week via my MBP so it just doesn't warrant the price at the point. (Note: That is not a statement that the prices are too high, that Apple is raping us, or that Apple is greedy, only that it's not the right product for me at this time.)

PS: From the demo it kind of looks like the RAM might be socketed again. I have doubts that it is, but it did look like two RAM sticks overlapping each other on screen.
    Phil literally said SODIMMs in the video. 
    welshdogLinz Henderson
  • Reply 47 of 133
    Rayz2016 said:

Recycled aluminium smells funny or some such nonsense.

Stenchgate.

You saw it here first.
    🤣

That sounds ridiculous and too unreasonable to ever be true… which is why it's entirely possible with whatever-the-fuck has been going on in the Universe for the last 2 years.
    Rayz2016welshdogStrangeDayschia
  • Reply 48 of 133
    Don't need much zip for macOS Server these days. Overkill for a server anyway (kinda like having a Mac Pro as a sever). https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208312
    Kind of depends on the user load, doesn’t it?
  • Reply 49 of 133
    Soli said:
    Of course!

I love what they did, but, for me, the $799 entry level machine is too rich for my blood to replace my headless Mac mini since I only connect to it a couple times a week via my MBP so it just doesn't warrant the price at the point. (Note: That is not a statement that the prices are too high, that Apple is raping us, or that Apple is greedy, only that it's not the right product for me at this time.)

PS: From the demo it kind of looks like the RAM might be socketed again. I have doubts that it is, but it did look like two RAM sticks overlapping each other on screen.
    Phil literally said SODIMMs in the video. 
    He did, but I wasn't aware that a small outline dual in-line memory module wasn't capable of being soldered. Good to know. Thanks.

Is module the key word there? Are all memory modules a reference to socketed-only?
    edited October 2018
  • Reply 50 of 133
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    polymnia said:
    netling said:
    $4,199 for the Maxed out mini! While I'm hopeful that the ram will be upgraded via third party ram (read $1,000 less!), the fact is the SSD is Apple proprietary and so either you upgrade when you order or your pretty stuck until used minis start showing up on eBay. 

Unfortunately, I feel Apple is losing touch with reality and that Tim Cook has surrounded himself with rich "yes" people, as the mini was originally made so the "poor" could afford a entry level computer, today that stopped as $800 is not affordable compared to entry level PC's, this logic also applies to iPads.  Apple needs to introduce a sub-$500 entry level computer that would allow the masses to embrace.  Ie, the mini default ram should be 16 and 8 for a true entry level $499 (today's offer is an insult to anyone with any computer knowledge!!)

Long Live Steve Job and I hope he visits Tim Cook in his dreams to wake Tim up to the masses that need better access... (Tim, this is why Android is still around, offer an actual affordable, true lowend product for the poor!!)
    The US dollar isn’t worth what it used to be. Yesterday’s $500 computer now costs $800 thanks to dollar devaluation. Don’t think even for one minute that purchasing power is unchanging over time.

And if a person is as impoverished as you seem to be suggesting, their last concern is a cheap computer.
    To extend your point about the impoverished not needing to worry about the cost of Macs:

I imagine many people came up like I did, without the money for a Mac. We built crappy PCs or bought them inexpensively from Gateway200. We developed some skill. We translated that skill to a career. And poof, we can afford Macs now.
    That is exactly how it was for me.

StrangeDayspscooter63cornchip
  • Reply 51 of 133
    ipilyaipilya Posts: 195member
    I am very happy with this announcement. This will fit in perfectly with my needs for the type of development I do :)
  • Reply 52 of 133
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Johan42 said:
    Apple ALMOST nailed the Mac Mini. They should have offered one with dual flash SSDs like the iMac Pro and a maybe a SATA bus for 2nd large SATA SSD. An i9 would have been nice. 

However, 64GBs RAM, 2TB flash, 6-Core i7 and the T2, (love all that!), if it’s not $2500 for the high end model I’ll buy a pair. And please, no more soldering parts Apple please. I’m still using modified 2009 Mac Pros for a reason. 

We’ll see. 
    “Our pro customers have been asking for the slower, cheaper performance of SATA-3” 
    Yes, the “slower, cheaper” interface would be great for the average person who doesn’t deal with large data transfers and don’t want to break the bank.
    That's what USB-C is for.
    docno42
  • Reply 53 of 133

So, they went from a base-priced Mac Mini of $499 to a base-priced Mac Mini of $799 (and no one with any sense would buy one with 128GB of storage)? I realize they beefed them up considerably, but at that price-point, I just don't see it being a choice over an iMac or a portable.
    People using bulk external storage or using the mini as a headless renderer or compiler do not care about storage and will definitely buy this. 
    SoliwelshdogStrangeDaysargonaut
  • Reply 54 of 133

So, they went from a base-priced Mac Mini of $499 to a base-priced Mac Mini of $799 (and no one with any sense would buy one with 128GB of storage)? I realize they beefed them up considerably, but at that price-point, I just don't see it being a choice over an iMac or a portable.
    People using bulk external storage or using the mini as a headless renderer or compiler do not care about storage and will definitely buy this. 
    Yes,  I don't know any recent switchers that have gone in and said they want a mac mini... most of the time it is a laptop, and sometimes an iMac... 

The Mac Mini is being repositioned for professional purposes -- and I really really like what they did with it.  I will likely get one at the end of next month.
    argonaut
  • Reply 55 of 133
    Soli said:
    ElCapitan said:
    More to follow…
    That seems like a long time since they come out Nov 07. Did you get something with a lot of low-volume customizations, like 64 GiB RAM?
    Nothing very special apart from the 6-core i7. 
  • Reply 56 of 133
    Does anyone else feel that $4200 is a bit too much for a Mac Mini?
    cornchip
  • Reply 57 of 133
    Johan42 said:
    Apple ALMOST nailed the Mac Mini. They should have offered one with dual flash SSDs like the iMac Pro and a maybe a SATA bus for 2nd large SATA SSD. An i9 would have been nice. 

However, 64GBs RAM, 2TB flash, 6-Core i7 and the T2, (love all that!), if it’s not $2500 for the high end model I’ll buy a pair. And please, no more soldering parts Apple please. I’m still using modified 2009 Mac Pros for a reason. 

We’ll see. 
    “Our pro customers have been asking for the slower, cheaper performance of SATA-3” 
    Yes, the “slower, cheaper” interface would be great for the average person who doesn’t deal with large data transfers and don’t want to break the bank.
    That’s what external drives are for. Get a USB-C 3.1gen2 enclosure and you’re good. 
  • Reply 58 of 133
    aknabiaknabi Posts: 211member
    A fully spec'd out one would likely give my 12-core MP a run for the money (though speaking of money a loaded 6-core Mac Mini would cost about the same as what I was able to score a floor model 64GB 12-core MP for).

Still these are the machines those of us who need build, etc servers wanted.
    Thank you. Wow. Thank you. Thank you. Wow. Wow. Thank you.
    fastasleepargonaut
  • Reply 59 of 133
    Yep! Even my user account is on my external drive. I use hardly anything over the default installation of macOS on my internal drive.

Unfortunately, that's over USB-A on this on this old machine which cause a little slowdown, but I do it because I can use File Vault (via Terminal) on the external drive, but I can't on the internal drive unless I want make it impossible for me to boot the system without having to log-in via an attached display, mouse, and keyboard. I wish that File Vault 1 (which encrypted user accounts) was still an option for my headless Mac mini.

PS: Does anyone else use this feature?

edited October 2018
  • Reply 60 of 133
    I'm looking to configure the Mac Mini for purchase.  Does anyone know if the 32GB option are 2x16 GB modules or a single 32GB module with a socket left over?  Is anyone selling single 32GB modules?  

Should I just go with the 8GB configuration and then purchase 2x32GB modules outside of Apple?  Any advice is appreciated.  Thanks.