Apple unveils all new 13-inch MacBook Air with Retina display, Thunderbolt 3 and more

Comments

• Reply 61 of 181
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,241member
    I'm sure nobody will read my comment but Apple just released the perfect government and enterprise laptop for confidential and classified storage. With the T2 chip, I don't believe there's any way someone can open up the laptop and read the data on the flash storage. Every laptop should come with full storage encryption turned on by default. Whenever we sent an employee on business travel, especially to a foreign country, the laptop was physically inspected. When the laptop was returned, it was physically inspected again. The good thing about the newer Apple laptops is that they don't come apart easily, making it very easy to notice any attempts at opening the case. With TouchID, no matter what crazy people say, it will be easy to wipe old fingerprints and add new ones specific to the current owner. Same with re-imaging every time it goes out to make sure there's only what's necessary on the laptop. I read another idiot lost their laptop with multiple millions of user account information on it. Why aren't they using a laptop engineered from the beginning to be secure out of the box? When it comes to cost, there's a tremendous cost when you lose customer accounts (like having your business closed) compared to the "free" cost of an ~$1000 laptop. 
    baconstangmuthuk_vanalingamchiaxixopscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 62 of 181
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    RIP MagSafe.
    baconstangirelandxixo
  • Reply 63 of 181

chia said:
    rMBA! Just what everybody wanted, right? Will be curious to see what happens w/ the MB. 
    Ben Bajarin (@BenBajarin) 10/30/18, 9:25 AM PC OEMs breath a collective sigh of relief there is now lower cost Mac.
    Presentation isn’t over yet! It’s possible the current MacBooks get pushed down in price to below $1000 now that the MacBook Air comes in at $1200 with two Thunderbolt 3 and a larger Retina Display.
    Maybe. Odd that the laptop with Air in its name isn’t the lightest laptop Apple sells. We’ll see how much longer Apple gets away with raising prices. Competition is selling really good devices now at cheaper price points.
    Raising prices? It’s bigger and better in every way than the current MacBook, AND cheaper. 
    How is it better in every way than the current MacBook? And if it is what exactly is the point of the MacBook? And who is the audience for this device? $1200 is expensive for schools and students. The Surface 2 laptop with 8GB RAM and 128GB SSD starts at $999. That’s what this new MBA will be compared to. I’m not arguing whether new products are better. But these days better most of the time new means more expensive. Like the 2nd gen Apple Pencil which is $30 more than the 1st gen.
    If you can’t tell why it’s better than the current MB, I honestly don’t know what you’re doing here. It’s better I’m every measurable way except for size/weight. 

The audience is the many millions of people who adore the 13” MacBook Air which is probably one of the most if not the most popular Mac ever and have been waiting for an update. Also why they kept the name I’m guessing. Nobody is going to overthink this and they’re going to sell a shit ton of them. 

The MacBook is now the low end older model, and it serves the same purpose as other devices like it in the past to be just that. 

As for price, go look up the original price for the first gen MacBook Air. We’ll wait. 
    $1799. So what? I’m comparing it to what’s on the market now. Also the rMB is more expensive than a device you say is better in every way. How does that make sense? Why does the rMB exist? Why did it take Apple 4 years to put a retina screen in the MBA?
    The original MBA was $1800 + $1000 for SSD. In today's dollars that's almost $3300. So in ten years it's gotten significantly cheaper. Yet the whining.

Why do you continually make these over-worried arguments questioning why Apple does what it does? Why do their product offerings offend you so much? Don't like them, then buy yourself a PC and be done with it, it's better than whining about being unhappy all the time isn't it? Why do you want to be unhappy? You have the power to change your life. Don't wait!
    Do you work for Apple or something? You defend every single thing the company does as if it’s signing your paycheck.

I’m not in the market for a PC or a Mac. Doesn’t mean I can’t comment on what Apple just announced. When Kuo and others rumors were predicting a sub $1000 Mac laptop I don’t remember anyone here (or anywhere else) saying it was nonsense or impossible or anything like that. Who cares what the original MBA cost. The comparison is going to be to other products on the market. Every product Apple announced today is more expensive than the product it’s replacing. Even the new Apple Pencil which only works with the new iPads and is $30 more expensive. 
    elijahganantksundaramxixo
  • Reply 64 of 181
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member

chia said:
    rMBA! Just what everybody wanted, right? Will be curious to see what happens w/ the MB. 
    Ben Bajarin (@BenBajarin) 10/30/18, 9:25 AM PC OEMs breath a collective sigh of relief there is now lower cost Mac.
    Presentation isn’t over yet! It’s possible the current MacBooks get pushed down in price to below $1000 now that the MacBook Air comes in at $1200 with two Thunderbolt 3 and a larger Retina Display.
    Maybe. Odd that the laptop with Air in its name isn’t the lightest laptop Apple sells. We’ll see how much longer Apple gets away with raising prices. Competition is selling really good devices now at cheaper price points.
    Raising prices? It’s bigger and better in every way than the current MacBook, AND cheaper. 
    How is it better in every way than the current MacBook? And if it is what exactly is the point of the MacBook? And who is the audience for this device? $1200 is expensive for schools and students. The Surface 2 laptop with 8GB RAM and 128GB SSD starts at $999. That’s what this new MBA will be compared to. I’m not arguing whether new products are better. But these days better most of the time new means more expensive. Like the 2nd gen Apple Pencil which is $30 more than the 1st gen.
    If you can’t tell why it’s better than the current MB, I honestly don’t know what you’re doing here. It’s better I’m every measurable way except for size/weight. 

The audience is the many millions of people who adore the 13” MacBook Air which is probably one of the most if not the most popular Mac ever and have been waiting for an update. Also why they kept the name I’m guessing. Nobody is going to overthink this and they’re going to sell a shit ton of them. 

The MacBook is now the low end older model, and it serves the same purpose as other devices like it in the past to be just that. 

As for price, go look up the original price for the first gen MacBook Air. We’ll wait. 
    $1799. So what? I’m comparing it to what’s on the market now. Also the rMB is more expensive than a device you say is better in every way. How does that make sense? Why does the rMB exist? Why did it take Apple 4 years to put a retina screen in the MBA?
    Why do you ask so many questions? Maybe this is the last rMB ever. Maybe Phil ate some mushrooms in the desert and a crystalline fox wearing a black turtleneck told him to keep the Air alive. Maybe they realized they needed to change their approach to the MacBook market and they pivoted just like they’re doing with the entire fucking Mac lineup the last couple years.  Maybe you worry too much. 
    StrangeDaysrandominternetpersonelijahguniscapepscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 65 of 181
    So if I were in the market for a new MacBook and iMac (which I kind of am), what should I do after today? Presumably the iMac will get a spec bump but not this year, so when? Will the desktop systems have touchID added to the bundled keyboard (seems unlikely) or will they add FaceID? And what of the laptop. At present it seems I can pay a bit more for a smaller, lighter form factor with more storage, but otherwise lower specs and no TouchID. Does anyone expect the MacBook to get a speed bump and TouchID or FaceID soon? Or do you think it will be left to wither on the vine with gradual price drops, as used to happen to the Air?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 66 of 181
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    asdasd said:
    I agree that the branding of the air and the MacBook don’t make a whole lot of sense. 

The air is heavier. It’s a strange line up. The air might make sense as a sub $1000 machine(or alternatively the cheapest MacBook would be < $1000). 
    It's all marketing. There's a huge faction of Apple's MacBook fans that are specifically craving the "Air" moniker. I suspect whatever Apple slapped the "Air" name onto would result in cheers and applause from the name alone, regardless what the device was. This new "Air" is a brand new device they could have called anything.
    Yeah I'm confused. If the Macbook were cheaper than fair enough. Or if it had additional selling points, besides being lighter, like FaceID fine. Is there even a sign it has had a spec bump? Doesn't look like it. Similarly with the iMacs. When do you think is best guess for when both of those will receive an update? And do you think any of the Macs will get FaceID or will Apple use TouchID for for Macs and FaceID for iOS?
    I'm really surprised about the lack of FaceID. But I suspect Apple is holding back on that one more year before they introduce it to lower-end devices. Right now it's only on their flagship phones and "Pro" level pads. I suspect we'll see it on the MB Pros next year, so maybe two more years before it shows up on the Air. Hard to believe they would redesign a brand new Mac designed to last several years on the market right as they're introducing FaceID as the replacement to TouchID, without planning to integrate it in the near future.
    fastasleepdocno42
  • Reply 67 of 181
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    The vast improvements to every aspect of Apple maps since it launched has been stunning.
    lkrupp said:
    The presenter seems to be uncomfortable on stage. She sounds canned like she is reading from a teleprompter. I don't see the unbridled enthusiasm that Jobs projected. But to be honest, there was only one Steve Jobs and he’s gone now. 
    Thanks for that incredible fucking insight. We're all the more enlightened for it. Do you shit on everyone in your life that doesn't have the charisma of Steve Jobs?
    edited October 2018 baconstangStrangeDayselijahgpscooter63
  • Reply 68 of 181
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    mac_128 said:
    Still has a 100 year old headphone jack. Curious to see if the iPad rumors come true now ...

But no FaceID. Maybe next year...

Edit: yup. No headphone jack on the iPad Pro. Gonna be a lot of dongles hanging off that sucker ... 
    In how many threads do you need to post the exact same shit? Odds are 95% of people won't have a damn thing "hanging off that sucker" You're a grotesque troll.
    StrangeDayselijahguniscapewatto_cobra
  • Reply 69 of 181

chia said:

Why do you ask so many questions? Maybe this is the last rMB ever. Maybe Phil ate some mushrooms in the desert and a crystalline fox wearing a black turtleneck told him to keep the Air alive. Maybe they realized they needed to change their approach to the MacBook market and they pivoted just like they’re doing with the entire fucking Mac lineup the last couple years.  Maybe you worry too much. 
    I’m not worried. It’s just observations.
    elijahgavon b7anantksundaramxixo
  • Reply 70 of 181
    jimh2jimh2 Posts: 611member
    chia said:
    Except that they do not run MacOS.
    baconstangelijahgwatto_cobra
  • Reply 71 of 181
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,103member
    mac_128 said:
    Still has a 100 year old headphone jack. Curious to see if the iPad rumors come true now ...

Edit: yup. No headphone jack on the iPad Pro. Gonna be a lot of dongles hanging off that sucker ... 
    100 y.o. headphone jack?  IKR?
    Even more unbelievable is my new car has these ANCIENT 3k-4K y.o.wheels on it.  Where's the innovation?
    dsdrandominternetpersonxixopscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 72 of 181

mac_128 said:
    asdasd said:
    I agree that the branding of the air and the MacBook don’t make a whole lot of sense. 

The air is heavier. It’s a strange line up. The air might make sense as a sub $1000 machine(or alternatively the cheapest MacBook would be < $1000). 
    It's all marketing. There's a huge faction of Apple's MacBook fans that are specifically craving the "Air" moniker. I suspect whatever Apple slapped the "Air" name onto would result in cheers and applause from the name alone, regardless what the device was. This new "Air" is a brand new device they could have called anything.
    Yeah I'm confused. If the Macbook were cheaper than fair enough. Or if it had additional selling points, besides being lighter, like FaceID fine. Is there even a sign it has had a spec bump? Doesn't look like it. Similarly with the iMacs. When do you think is best guess for when both of those will receive an update? And do you think any of the Macs will get FaceID or will Apple use TouchID for for Macs and FaceID for iOS?
    I'm really surprised about the lack of FaceID. But I suspect Apple is holding back on that one more year before they introduce it to lower-end devices. Right now it's only on their flagship phones and "Pro" level pads. I suspect we'll see it on the MB Pros next year, so maybe two more years before it shows up on the Air. Hard to believe they would redesign a brand new Mac designed to last several years on the market right as they're introducing FaceID as the replacement to TouchID, without planning to integrate it in the near future.

Yeah it seems like Apple feels the Air branding isn’t something they can retire. Makes me wonder if the rMB will eventually become Apple’s ARM laptop.
  • Reply 73 of 181
    jimh2 said:
    chia said:
    Except that they do not run MacOS.
    I’m specifically referring to hardware.
    elijahg
  • Reply 74 of 181
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    chia said:
    Crazy nonsense. $1200 is half the price of their beefier MBP. You compare it to a PC laptop, which is only 200 bucks cheaper -- but its a crappy PC laptop! You can keep the 200 bucks... If you want PC prices, buy a PC and stop crying into your cup.
    Surface Laptop 2 is crappy PC laptop? So that’s why Mashable said it was the best laptop you can buy in 2018.

https://mashable.com/review/microsoft-surface-laptop-2/
    Yup. You'd have to pay me a lot more than a paltry 200 bucks to starting using Windows for my personal computing needs.
    baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 75 of 181
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member

chia said:

The original MBA was $1800 + $1000 for SSD. In today's dollars that's almost $3300. So in ten years it's gotten significantly cheaper. Yet the whining.

Why do you continually make these over-worried arguments questioning why Apple does what it does? Why do their product offerings offend you so much? Don't like them, then buy yourself a PC and be done with it, it's better than whining about being unhappy all the time isn't it? Why do you want to be unhappy? You have the power to change your life. Don't wait!
    Do you work for Apple or something? You defend every single thing the company does as if it’s signing your paycheck.

I’m not in the market for a PC or a Mac. Doesn’t mean I can’t comment on what Apple just announced. When Kuo and others rumors were predicting a sub $1000 Mac laptop I don’t remember anyone here (or anywhere else) saying it was nonsense or impossible or anything like that. Who cares what the original MBA cost. The comparison is going to be to other products on the market. Every product Apple announced today is more expensive than the product it’s replacing. Even the new Apple Pencil which only works with the new iPads and is $30 more expensive. 
    If that's what you believe, then you haven't been paying attention to my posts. I make criticisms too. But most of the time there are so many absurdly stupid things being said and whined about that it's easy to spend most of my time pointing out how incredibly stupid they are. Whining about the MBA price while ignoring how much cheaper it's gotten over time (which requires taking inflation and spending power into account) is clearly in that camp. 

And with concern trolls like you, you cherry pick your points and ignore what doesn't align with your narrative. Example, I've already said that while today's new announcements (ex: iPad Pro) is more expensive, you conveniently leave out their other previously-new products, like the new $329 iPad which is cheaper than the original. You simply refuse to address that. You have an absurd entitled sense that has you believing you should get the brand-new, top-of-the-line tier products for the cheaper prices. It's quite silly.

Don't ever buy a new car -- you'll clutch your pearls and have a heart attack on the spot.
    docno42elijahgstompyuniscapewatto_cobra
  • Reply 76 of 181
    mac_128 said:

Wireless but dongle til you bongle bro.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 77 of 181
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    This is more like a 13” MB. They should get rid of the 12” MB.

Keyboard, MagSafe, SD Card reader and long battery life in a non-chubby form factor are the reasons why I personally like my MBA. Three of those things are now gone on this model.

Also, dongletown has many streets, but I’d rather not live there. 
    edited October 2018 canukstormmuthuk_vanalingamdocno42baconstang
  • Reply 78 of 181
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,695member
    lewchenko said:
    In the uk it’s 1199 to start with only 8Gb and 128Gb. 
    And a ridiculous £200 to upgrade to the next model which has a 256Gb drive (nothing else different).  Go to 16Gb and it’s £1579. Wow. 
    All dual core processors too. 
    Silly money.

My 2013 dual core Mac book pro with retina , 16Gb, 512Gb SSD cost less than these. 

You can buy a MS Surface Laptop 2 with 8GB, 128GB SSD, Retina-class display for $999 USD (base model).  Granted it doesn't have TB3 / USB-C and it runs Windows 10 but still that's a good value.
    elijahgrogifan_new
  • Reply 79 of 181
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,695member
    chia said:
    I agree with this. If you look at the specs of this new MBA, it's really just a bigger rMB.  The next step up is the MBP Escape which has a faster 2.3Ghz dual-core CPU and faster Intel Iris graphics

"The Surface 2 laptop with 8GB RAM and 128GB SSD starts at $999." => On top of that the Surface Laptop 2 has a quad-core CPU.
    elijahg
  • Reply 80 of 181
    sflocal said:
    MtotheH said:
    This was the announcement I was hoping for, but the price point is not. I had hoped $899 or $999 for the 128Gb. I can't just drop a grand+ when my 2013 model is humming just fine for my needs. Bummer.
    You can always sell your 2013 model to offset the cost of the new one.  It's what I do.  At least Apple laptops have a decent resale value compared to Windows machines.
    I've done the same thing for 12 computers starting with the Apple ][ plus. Unlike PC's they hold their value.
    baconstangStrangeDaysxixowatto_cobra