Apple's new 11- & 12.9-inch iPad Pros sport a massive redesign and gain Face ID, USB-C

Comments

• Reply 61 of 136
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,875member
    mario said:
    kruegdude said:
    mario said:
    Give us Terminal, filesystem, Xcode and it could become viable computing device. Until then, this is glorified facebook machine.
    Add in floppy drive and liquid cooling as long as we’re going for completely useless additions. 
    I actually develop software. I use terminal 99% of the time. How about you? Click on pictures to code?
    Who said this form factor is supposed to support your dev use case? I'm a veteran enterprise and web dev (was a lead dev on MarketWatch.com back in the day, among other household names). I wouldn't imagine doing my job on a fucking touchscreen tablet when I have better tools designed for my use case, such as the 27" screens on my desktop right now, and the powerful MBP in my bag for remote work outside the office.

Why don't you start whining about not being able to code on your phone? Your watch? Etc. Get real.
    edited October 2018 tmaybrucemcericthehalfbeeronnchiadoozydozenRayz2016
  • Reply 62 of 136

Every new product Apple announced today is more expensive than what it replaced.
    Every new product Apple announced today does way more than what it replaced.

See how that works? You exchange money, for things of value

Thankfully for you, you aren't required to buy the top of the line offerings. You can buy the regular iPad, which at $329, is *cheaper* than what it replaced. Heavens!
    Hey I’m just making an observation. It wasn’t always the case that a new and better product was more expensive. Apple added retina to the iPhone and iPad without raising the price. Same with adding Touch ID to the iPhone 5S. 
    dysamoriapatchythepiratedoozydozen
  • Reply 63 of 136
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    mario said:
    kruegdude said:
    mario said:
    Give us Terminal, filesystem, Xcode and it could become viable computing device. Until then, this is glorified facebook machine.
    Add in floppy drive and liquid cooling as long as we’re going for completely useless additions. 
    I actually develop software. I use terminal 99% of the time. How about you? Click on pictures to code?

Maybe you need a Mac mini to ssh into?
    edited October 2018 ronn
  • Reply 64 of 136
    GobnuGobnu Posts: 17member
    WTF with the iPad mini A:  Still around, if they plan to kill it, and B: Still rocking the A8 processor?  I don't need FaceID and smaller bezels and super-retina-liquid-whatever display, just a faster iPad in mini size!!

Also, still have to buy the cellular version to get GPS, I see.  Is that integrated in the Qualcomm cellular chip, or why do they always link those to each other?
    edited October 2018 rogifan_new
  • Reply 65 of 136
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    One of the best Apple product updates I've ever seen. What a stunning device, they nailed every aspect. This is like the magical Apple product from my fantasies. 
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 66 of 136
    Rayz2016 said:
    kruegdude said:
    mario said:

A punched card reader.

If there is no punched card reader in the next iPad Pro then Apple is dead to me …

Here ya' go:

Reading the punched card is in the eye of the beholder (according to Chad)  :)
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 67 of 136
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    mac_128 said:
    Seems like the 100 year old headphone jack is gone? But still on the brand new MacBook Air!

Professional audio producers will likely be skipping the iPad Pro, or invest in a lot of dongles ...
    It's really not that hard to figure it out. Apple eliminated the headphones jack on their phone line first, now they're moving to their tablet line, and in another product cycle or two they'll eventually eliminate it from their laptop line as well. User behaviors for use cases for these products are all different, so it makes sense to taper the transition, starting with the products that would benefit the most from losing the jack. 

As for your second statement - no, they won't. 
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 68 of 136
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    With those hardware specs, where is Xcode for iPad Pro?

WWDC19
    macky the mackySpamSandwichdoozydozen
  • Reply 69 of 136
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    kruegdude said:
    mac_128 said:
    Ok. Apple nailed the iPad Pro. They really are listening to us musicians and other creative pros. Everything they added is exactly what we needed. Lightening was too slow as an I/O. It limited how much audio I could stream. USB-C can pass 100s of audio streams, especially with that A12x! 

A12x, USB-C, and what they did what the Apple Pencil! Yeah baby. Now, how much? I’m worried. $1,500 loaded? 

Except they removed the headphone jack. More dongles. I know of no musicians asking for that. Lightning wasn’t the issue, as it can support USB 3 speeds, just Apple limiting it. But USB-C is more universal for a device positioned as a PC replacement.
    Shouldn’t you be moving on from the headphone jack concern? The narrative is getting a bit stale and, as someone mentioned earlier in the comments, “those cheap 3.5mm parts are just not up to pro studio quality in terms of ruggedness. 3.5mm is a nightmare in recording studios and live venues”
    No concern at all. Just stating a fact. It's still a widely used, and necessary connector in audio. Removing it from the iPad Pro which is one of the few portable devices that can run pro audio software definitely makes it a less convenient device for those planning to use it for that purpose. The MacBook Air is better suited for that now. Facts.
  • Reply 70 of 136
    mjtomlin said:
    With those hardware specs, where is Xcode for iPad Pro?

WWDC19
    WWDC19 makes sense... But, to be comparable to Xcode on the Mac it will need a more robust OS -- we have: macOS; iOS; watchOS; tvOS... Why not proOS or some such?
  • Reply 71 of 136
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    MplsP said:
    seankill said:
    sflocal said:
    So finally, an iOS device using USBc.  Bittersweet, but necessary.  Finally just one cable.

This iPad is a beast.
    I’m going to hate it but I hope the iPhone follows, seems dumb not to roll the iPhone to USB-C also. 
    Rayz2016 said:
    So, next year’s iPhone?

Will they move to USB-C, or will the port vanish altogether?

I actually like the lightning cable better than the USB C, but I would also rather they have some consistency across their product line. Honestly, if they were switching to USB C for iPads, why didn’t they switch to USB C for the Xs/Xr/Xs max? 

I doubt they will ditch it all together. It’s still way too functional. 

Also, I’m curious as to what the justification for leaving the headphone jack off the ipad is. It’s not waterproofing. It’s not space. They may argue that it’s outdated, but the fact of the matter is it’s still the single most common headphone connector in the world. Either way, if you want to use wired headphones, you have a choice between 3.5mm, lightning and USB C and we’re going to need a USB C - 3.5mm connector. Things are getting confusing.

Either way, these machines should have awesome performance. My 12” iPad Pro does great as it is, and it only has an A10 processor.
    No, they will likely never put a USB-C connector on an iPhone. For all the iPhone can do, it's still a mobile device. Apple will likely remove the Lightning port, and seal the device up completely as soon as they feel it's possible. Replacing the installed base of Lightning devices worldwide for no particular reason would be a an inconvenient waste, and result in a lot of backlash. Apple is pushing devices like the iPhone to the cloud for storage and backups. The iPad Pro is being repositioned as an alternative to the PC. That's a huge difference in functionality and what kinds of ports they need. 
    tmay
  • Reply 72 of 136
    Another observation: the current iPad Pros are still in the line up but no price change. Even the iPad mini hangs around at the same price. And according to The Verge the new Pencil isn’t compatable with existing iPads and the 1st gen Pencil wont work with the new iPads. WTF.
    edited October 2018 dysamoria
  • Reply 73 of 136
    I wonder if there will finally be a native and seamless support for wired external storage drives? (Seeing the introduction of 1TB option, not very likely). If so, I might upgrade from my current pro. If not, I’m going back to laptops for another cycle or two.

I really wanted to make the iPad my main travel computer, but for photography and video work it’s still an excercise in frustration when trying to manage large files. A cloud-only backup option just doesn’t cut it as soon as you move out of more developed parts of the world, with spotty internet speeds. And the wireless drives are still too slow, complicated and unreliable.

But perhaps I’m getting it all wrong – perhaps it’s a machine aimed squarely at creatives who reside in NYC?
    dysamoria
  • Reply 74 of 136
    jbdragon said:
    I didn't think Apple was going to go the USB-C route and they did, WOW. If I upgrade my iPad, now I'm going to have to deal with 2 different cables to charge with. I don't really see the reason in going to USB-C. But be a big enough one for Apple to do it. Then there's the prices,...ouch.
    I found it a little confusing too, but an audio engineer elsewhere on these forums was making the case that USB-C is superior to both Lightning or 1/8" audio jacks for studio work. The video showed iPads working with USB-C display mirroring, and when USB-C hubs eventually exist (rumored for next year) that'll open the door to quite a lot. 

Also, what if this is a "preparatory round" for the introduction of Thunderbolt 3 in a year or two? iPad Pro with external GPU, anyone…?
  • Reply 75 of 136
    ismofam said:
    Can multiple people use face ID to log in to this often shared device?
    With “alternate appearance” at least 2 people should be. 

P.S. - are iPads really “often shared devices”? I have a family of 6 and 5 of them have their own iPads. I’m the only one without. Most people I know don’t shares their iPads either (anecdotal, of course).
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 76 of 136
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,921member
    Eric_WVGG said:
    jbdragon said:
    I didn't think Apple was going to go the USB-C route and they did, WOW. If I upgrade my iPad, now I'm going to have to deal with 2 different cables to charge with. I don't really see the reason in going to USB-C. But be a big enough one for Apple to do it. Then there's the prices,...ouch.
    I found it a little confusing too, but an audio engineer elsewhere on these forums was making the case that USB-C is superior to both Lightning or 1/8" audio jacks for studio work. The video showed iPads working with USB-C display mirroring, and when USB-C hubs eventually exist (rumored for next year) that'll open the door to quite a lot. 

Also, what if this is a "preparatory round" for the introduction of Thunderbolt 3 in a year or two? iPad Pro with external GPU, anyone…?
    for audio purposes, there isn't necessarily any technical reason the USB C connector should be superior, but in general, the USB C can do everything the lightning port can do plus more, so if I had to pick one, I'd go with USB C, especially if they're trying to position the new iPads as productivity machines.

• Reply 77 of 136
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
  • Reply 78 of 136
    Can anyone comment on the ergonomics of this new design?  The flat sides resemble those of the iPad 1, which has an aesthetic appeal, but might not be as comfortable to grip.  Likewise, with minimal bezel or chin to the frame, it seems like I'll be fighting for an optimal way to lay my hands/fingers on the device when holding it.  Even the promotional photographs show the user uncomfortably pinching the very edges of the frame.  Makes me a cringe a bit.  Currently use a 10.5 inch Pro model, and I'm hesitant of the new design.

Any thoughts from those coming from the bezel-less iPhone X designs?
    dysamoria
  • Reply 79 of 136
    thedbathedba Posts: 763member
    hentaiboy said:
    A $3.5K iPad anyone?

You chose the top of the line iPad (12.9” + 1 TB storage + cell). That comes out to $USD 1899. However this amount does not include any state taxes. 
    Your amount does, thus NZ $3299 - $431 = NZ $2868. Converting that to US funds gives $USD 1892.88. You actually pay $US 6.12 less based on today’s exchange rate of US $0.66 to NZ $1. 
    dysamoriaStrangeDaysdoozydozenRayz2016
  • Reply 80 of 136
    atomic101 said:
    Can anyone comment on the ergonomics of this new design?  The flat sides resemble those of the iPad 1, which has an aesthetic appeal, but might not be as comfortable to grip.  Likewise, with minimal bezel or chin to the frame, it seems like I'll be fighting for an optimal way to lay my hands/fingers on the device when holding it.  Even the promotional photographs show the user uncomfortably pinching the very edges of the frame.  Makes me a cringe a bit.  Currently use a 10.5 inch Pro model, and I'm hesitant of the new design.

Any thoughts from those coming from the bezel-less iPhone X designs?
    I have the iPhone X and I have been using it now for nearly a year.  The design is great, but there is a learning curve for where your hands can go.  This will be similar, though the physics of holding a larger device are drastically different then a device you hold in one hand.  The thinner bezels will require an adustment to where you place your hands and fingers, though it does not look like they eliminated the bezels enough to make it truly problematic.  If you have an Apple store near you, I would say wait until you can see one in person and take it for a spin there.  That's what I plan to do.  Looking to replace my 1st gen iPad Pro 12.9"..  Been waiting to see what they do.  But, with prices on this rivaling a fully loaded MacBook Air, it now becomes a use case arguement for one vs the other.
    dysamoria