Apple unveils all new 13-inch MacBook Air with Retina display, Thunderbolt 3 and more

Comments

• Reply 81 of 181
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,694member
    mac_128 said:
    asdasd said:
    I agree that the branding of the air and the MacBook don’t make a whole lot of sense. 

The air is heavier. It’s a strange line up. The air might make sense as a sub $1000 machine(or alternatively the cheapest MacBook would be < $1000). 
    It's all marketing. There's a huge faction of Apple's MacBook fans that are specifically craving the "Air" moniker. I suspect whatever Apple slapped the "Air" name onto would result in cheers and applause from the name alone, regardless what the device was. This new "Air" is a brand new device they could have called anything.
    Yeah I'm confused. If the Macbook were cheaper than fair enough. Or if it had additional selling points, besides being lighter, like FaceID fine. Is there even a sign it has had a spec bump? Doesn't look like it. Similarly with the iMacs. When do you think is best guess for when both of those will receive an update? And do you think any of the Macs will get FaceID or will Apple use TouchID for for Macs and FaceID for iOS?
    I'm really surprised about the lack of FaceID. But I suspect Apple is holding back on that one more year before they introduce it to lower-end devices. Right now it's only on their flagship phones and "Pro" level pads. I suspect we'll see it on the MB Pros next year, so maybe two more years before it shows up on the Air. Hard to believe they would redesign a brand new Mac designed to last several years on the market right as they're introducing FaceID as the replacement to TouchID, without planning to integrate it in the near future.
    FaceID requires the Neural Engine.  You won't see it on Macs until it makes its way over to Macs. Who knows, that may require Macs moving to ARM
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 82 of 181
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,400member
    rob53 said:
    I'm sure nobody will read my comment but Apple just released the perfect government and enterprise laptop for confidential and classified storage. With the T2 chip, I don't believe there's any way someone can open up the laptop and read the data on the flash storage. Every laptop should come with full storage encryption turned on by default. Whenever we sent an employee on business travel, especially to a foreign country, the laptop was physically inspected. When the laptop was returned, it was physically inspected again. The good thing about the newer Apple laptops is that they don't come apart easily, making it very easy to notice any attempts at opening the case. With TouchID, no matter what crazy people say, it will be easy to wipe old fingerprints and add new ones specific to the current owner. Same with re-imaging every time it goes out to make sure there's only what's necessary on the laptop. I read another idiot lost their laptop with multiple millions of user account information on it. Why aren't they using a laptop engineered from the beginning to be secure out of the box? When it comes to cost, there's a tremendous cost when you lose customer accounts (like having your business closed) compared to the "free" cost of an ~$1000 laptop. 
    Apple + hardware encrypted hard drives are relatively new, while Thinkpads have been offer them for many years.  Plus Windows 8 had many security features Apple now include with the T2 chip.  Maybe that's one of the reasons Thinkpads are the most popular notebooks in business, enterprises and government.
  • Reply 83 of 181
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,694member

mac_128 said:
    asdasd said:
    I agree that the branding of the air and the MacBook don’t make a whole lot of sense. 

The air is heavier. It’s a strange line up. The air might make sense as a sub $1000 machine(or alternatively the cheapest MacBook would be < $1000). 
    It's all marketing. There's a huge faction of Apple's MacBook fans that are specifically craving the "Air" moniker. I suspect whatever Apple slapped the "Air" name onto would result in cheers and applause from the name alone, regardless what the device was. This new "Air" is a brand new device they could have called anything.
    Yeah I'm confused. If the Macbook were cheaper than fair enough. Or if it had additional selling points, besides being lighter, like FaceID fine. Is there even a sign it has had a spec bump? Doesn't look like it. Similarly with the iMacs. When do you think is best guess for when both of those will receive an update? And do you think any of the Macs will get FaceID or will Apple use TouchID for for Macs and FaceID for iOS?
    I'm really surprised about the lack of FaceID. But I suspect Apple is holding back on that one more year before they introduce it to lower-end devices. Right now it's only on their flagship phones and "Pro" level pads. I suspect we'll see it on the MB Pros next year, so maybe two more years before it shows up on the Air. Hard to believe they would redesign a brand new Mac designed to last several years on the market right as they're introducing FaceID as the replacement to TouchID, without planning to integrate it in the near future.

Yeah it seems like Apple feels the Air branding isn’t something they can retire. Makes me wonder if the rMB will eventually become Apple’s ARM laptop.
    Given the amount of performance in the new iPad Pros, I actually think that Apple is positioning that eventually become their ARM laptop.  Apparently some configurations of the new iPad Pros have 6GB of RAM.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 84 of 181
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,753member
    Speegs said:
    $1199 laptop with a base storage of 128gb in 2018 brehs. 

This company is price gouging its customers more than ever before. 
    If true then surely the market will respond by shunning it. But nah, thy won't, because they aren't gouging. Value != "cheap". Stick to your Dell, bro.

They're gouging. You can get the same specs elsewhere for $999. People will pay a bit more for the Apple premium, but not a lot more. If Apple charged $3999 for this you'd still say it's good value. 128GB SSD on a $1199 computer is good value? You've gotta be a troll. 

Speegs said:
    $1199 laptop with a base storage of 128gb in 2018 brehs. 

This company is price gouging its customers more than ever before. 
    If true then surely the market will respond by shunning it. But nah, thy won't, because that isn't happening. Value != "cheap". Stick to your Dell, bro.
    So what happened to Kuo’s prediction of a sub $1000 laptop? Also Windows laptops have gotten much better over the past few years. They’re not just cheap plastic anymore.

The rMB & rMBA positioning is very odd. Unless the rMB will be the first Apple laptop to go ARM I don’t see what the point of it is anymore.

It may well have have a $999 tag courtesy of marketing, but Cook saw this and couldn't resist another of his yearly $$$ bumps while rubbing his hands with glee.

I also questioned why the rMBA is still around. It was a pretty pointless device anyway, essentially a slower MBA with a better screen. Weird.

As others have said, PCs are nowhere as near as crap as they used to be. We're well past the bad press around Win 8, people are "alright" with Win 10. Build quality of midrange $799 PCs is still nowhere near Apple's, but it's good enough for most. Meanwhile Apple continues raising prices. Apologists can't use that as an excuse any more to justify Apple's prices. It used to be the case 5 or so years ago that people here complained about missing ports/RAM/CPU/GPU options, with the odd concern about price. Now it's predominantly a debate on how expensive Apple gear has become. That proves what a high proportion of people now think Apple's overpricing their gear. 

Apple doesn't drop prices as devices age. Instead, they used to spec bump and keep prices the same. Cook's Apple doesn't drop prices as products age, but it does bump prices each time there's a spec bump. Will he ever be satisfied with the vast profits Apple makes?
    edited October 2018
  • Reply 85 of 181
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    lkrupp said:
    The presenter seems to be uncomfortable on stage. She sounds canned like she is reading from a teleprompter. I don't see the unbridled enthusiasm that Jobs projected. But to be honest, there was only one Steve Jobs and he’s gone now. 
    You’d be uncomfortable too if it was your first Apple announcement and you knew thousands of neckbeards were simultaneously critiquing your public speaking skills in tech forums. 
    I dunno - public speaking is hard and takes practice for most people.  It comes naturally to very few people.  Look at the first few years Federighi was on stage compared to now...
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 86 of 181
    dsddsd Posts: 186member
    fastasleep said:

Maybe Phil ate some mushrooms in the desert and a crystalline fox wearing a black turtleneck told him to keep the Air alive.

And here I thought I was the only one who saw that fox.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 87 of 181
    rogifan_new said:
    Also Windows laptops have gotten much better over the past few years. They’re not just cheap plastic anymore.
    But they still, you know, run Windows

If I wanted to run Windows for my primary machine, I wouldn't be here.  I have a windows box for gaming.  I have another to run my home automation stuff on.  I have one from work for work and that's fine.  I admin Windows networks and that's fine too.  But for my personal machine I vastly prefer macOS which I can only get (legally) on Apple hardware.  The price creep up is disappointing, but not surprising.  Apple has never cared about the low end.  And for what you get it's not too bad a deal either.   

I'm typing right now on an Early 2015 MacBook Air I got new off eBay for $750 two years ago.  In a a few years when I'll be ready to replace this machine I'll hopefully be able to find a similar deal on the new MBAir.  Or I may just say "screw it" and splurge for the vastly better screen and 16GB of RAM.  If they keys are reliable I do prefer the feel of the new keyboard, but every single person I know that owns a machine with the butterfly keyboards, even the latest ones, has had issues which is still deeply disconcerting. 
    baconstangStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 88 of 181
    rogifan_new said:
    I’m specifically referring to hardware.
    Which isn't very useful since HW without software might as well be a plain slab of metal or glass. 
    elijahgbaconstangStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 89 of 181
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,241member
    danvm said:
    rob53 said:
    I'm sure nobody will read my comment but Apple just released the perfect government and enterprise laptop for confidential and classified storage. With the T2 chip, I don't believe there's any way someone can open up the laptop and read the data on the flash storage. Every laptop should come with full storage encryption turned on by default. Whenever we sent an employee on business travel, especially to a foreign country, the laptop was physically inspected. When the laptop was returned, it was physically inspected again. The good thing about the newer Apple laptops is that they don't come apart easily, making it very easy to notice any attempts at opening the case. With TouchID, no matter what crazy people say, it will be easy to wipe old fingerprints and add new ones specific to the current owner. Same with re-imaging every time it goes out to make sure there's only what's necessary on the laptop. I read another idiot lost their laptop with multiple millions of user account information on it. Why aren't they using a laptop engineered from the beginning to be secure out of the box? When it comes to cost, there's a tremendous cost when you lose customer accounts (like having your business closed) compared to the "free" cost of an ~$1000 laptop. 
    Apple + hardware encrypted hard drives are relatively new, while Thinkpads have been offer them for many years.  Plus Windows 8 had many security features Apple now include with the T2 chip.  Maybe that's one of the reasons Thinkpads are the most popular notebooks in business, enterprises and government.
    Would you care to elaborate? A comparison chart would be nice. Don't bother including anything about Windows 8 since the end of mainstream support ended January 2018. I really don't care is government and enterprise installations are still using it. That's the biggest vulnerability right there.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 90 of 181
    samrodsamrod Posts: 60unconfirmed, member
    For only 0.72 lbs more mass, you get a MacBook Air with a larger screen, a TB3 port, another TB3 port, a headphone jack, longer battery life, and a faster processor than a Retina MacBook:
    13” MBA 128 GB /  8 GB: $1,200
    13” MBA 128 GB / 16 GB: $1,400
    13” MBA 256 GB /  8 GB: $1,400
    13” MBA 256 GB / 16 GB: $1,600
    13” MBA 512 GB /  8 GB: $1,600
    13” MBA 512 GB / 16 GB: $1,800
    13” MBA 1.5 TB /  8 GB: $2,400
    13” MBA 1.5 TB / 16 GB: $2,600

12” rMB 256 GB /  8 GB / 1.2 Ghz m3: $1,300
    12” rMB 256 GB / 16 GB / 1.2 Ghz m3: $1,500
    12” rMB 256 GB /  8 GB / 1.3 Ghz m3: $1,400
    12” rMB 256 GB / 16 GB / 1.3 Ghz m3: $1,600
    12” rMB 256 GB /  8 GB / 1.4 Ghz i7: $1,550
    12” rMB 256 GB / 16 GB / 1.4 Ghz i7: $1,750
    12” rMB 512 GB /  8 GB / 1.3 Ghz i7: $1,600
    12” rMB 512 GB / 16 GB / 1.3 Ghz i7: $1,800
    12” rMB 512 GB /  8 GB / 1.4 Ghz i7: $1,750
    12” rMB 512 GB / 16 GB / 1.4 Ghz i7: $1,950

So Apple's still selling the previous MBA for $999 just to have a bogus sub-$1,000 option. Since releasing the iMac, Apple has excelled at focusing products and simplifying its product grid. But this lineup confuses consumers. It seems that the rMB is just an experiment in miniaturization at all costs, while the MBA's 2 x TB3/USB-C ports and faster speed make it productive. With its single non-TB, USB-C port, smaller display and slower speed, the rMB makes sense as an $800 economy Mac to distinguish it from the Air. If Apple shed $500 off the base rMB, only its top configs would overlap the Air's base price point, and the higher Air configs would overlap the 13" MBP's prices. So from the base rMB to the top 15" MBP, you'd have a wide pricing spread with overlaps only at the ends. But the following spreads have far to much overlap:
    12" rMB: $1.3k - $1.95k
    13" MBA: $1.2k - $2.6k
    13" MBP: $1.3k - $3.7k
    15" MBP: $2.4k - $6.7k

3 overlap between $1.3k  - $1.95k
    3 overlap between $1.95k - $2.6k
    2 overlap between $2.4k  - $3.7k

Consumers should think "for a little more, I get a lot more" rather than "for a little less, it's almost as good."
    edited October 2018
  • Reply 91 of 181
    metrixmetrix Posts: 256member
    I haven't been happy last few years on Apple's events but I am sure the mega campus was sucking the development dry. Finally up to par with what Apple events should look like. This was a home run for hardware. I still was hoping for some other color on the AirPods than white.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 92 of 181
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,753member

chia said:
    rMBA! Just what everybody wanted, right? Will be curious to see what happens w/ the MB. 
    Ben Bajarin (@BenBajarin) 10/30/18, 9:25 AM PC OEMs breath a collective sigh of relief there is now lower cost Mac.
    Presentation isn’t over yet! It’s possible the current MacBooks get pushed down in price to below $1000 now that the MacBook Air comes in at $1200 with two Thunderbolt 3 and a larger Retina Display.
    Maybe. Odd that the laptop with Air in its name isn’t the lightest laptop Apple sells. We’ll see how much longer Apple gets away with raising prices. Competition is selling really good devices now at cheaper price points.
    Raising prices? It’s bigger and better in every way than the current MacBook, AND cheaper. 
    How is it better in every way than the current MacBook? And if it is what exactly is the point of the MacBook? And who is the audience for this device? $1200 is expensive for schools and students. The Surface 2 laptop with 8GB RAM and 128GB SSD starts at $999. That’s what this new MBA will be compared to. I’m not arguing whether new products are better. But these days better most of the time new means more expensive. Like the 2nd gen Apple Pencil which is $30 more than the 1st gen.
    If you can’t tell why it’s better than the current MB, I honestly don’t know what you’re doing here. It’s better I’m every measurable way except for size/weight. 

The audience is the many millions of people who adore the 13” MacBook Air which is probably one of the most if not the most popular Mac ever and have been waiting for an update. Also why they kept the name I’m guessing. Nobody is going to overthink this and they’re going to sell a shit ton of them. 

The MacBook is now the low end older model, and it serves the same purpose as other devices like it in the past to be just that. 

As for price, go look up the original price for the first gen MacBook Air. We’ll wait. 
    $1799. So what? I’m comparing it to what’s on the market now. Also the rMB is more expensive than a device you say is better in every way. How does that make sense? Why does the rMB exist? Why did it take Apple 4 years to put a retina screen in the MBA?
    The original MBA was $1800 + $1000 for SSD. In today's dollars that's almost $3300. So in ten years it's gotten significantly cheaper. Yet the whining.

Why do you continually make these over-worried arguments questioning why Apple does what it does? Why do their product offerings offend you so much? Don't like them, then buy yourself a PC and be done with it, it's better than whining about being unhappy all the time isn't it? Why do you want to be unhappy? You have the power to change your life. Don't wait!
    Do you work for Apple or something? You defend every single thing the company does as if it’s signing your paycheck.

I’m not in the market for a PC or a Mac. Doesn’t mean I can’t comment on what Apple just announced. When Kuo and others rumors were predicting a sub $1000 Mac laptop I don’t remember anyone here (or anywhere else) saying it was nonsense or impossible or anything like that. Who cares what the original MBA cost. The comparison is going to be to other products on the market. Every product Apple announced today is more expensive than the product it’s replacing. Even the new Apple Pencil which only works with the new iPads and is $30 more expensive. 
    If that's what you believe, then you haven't been paying attention to my posts. I make criticisms too. But most of the time there are so many absurdly stupid things being said and whined about that it's easy to spend most of my time pointing out how incredibly stupid they are. Whining about the MBA price while ignoring how much cheaper it's gotten over time (which requires taking inflation and spending power into account) is clearly in that camp. 
    Really, what's the last criticism you made of Apple? I'd wager it was on the level of "I'd rather the box it came in was white instead of black". Just because you think something is so doesn't mean you're right. Since there's pretty much only you and one other defending Apple's pricing, surely that should make you realise you're in the tiny minority - the same minority you claim is irrelevant most of the time when they ask for something like non-soldered RAM, because it's not what the majority (or rather, you) wants. Funny how when the boot is on the other foot all that can be ignored, don't you think?
  • Reply 93 of 181
    chia said:
    rMBA! Just what everybody wanted, right? Will be curious to see what happens w/ the MB. 
    Ben Bajarin (@BenBajarin) 10/30/18, 9:25 AM PC OEMs breath a collective sigh of relief there is now lower cost Mac.
    Presentation isn’t over yet! It’s possible the current MacBooks get pushed down in price to below $1000 now that the MacBook Air comes in at $1200 with two Thunderbolt 3 and a larger Retina Display.
    Maybe. Odd that the laptop with Air in its name isn’t the lightest laptop Apple sells. We’ll see how much longer Apple gets away with raising prices. Competition is selling really good devices now at cheaper price points.
    Raising prices? It’s bigger and better in every way than the current MacBook, AND cheaper. 
    How is it better in every way than the current MacBook? And if it is what exactly is the point of the MacBook? And who is the audience for this device? $1200 is expensive for schools and students. The Surface 2 laptop with 8GB RAM and 128GB SSD starts at $999. That’s what this new MBA will be compared to. I’m not arguing whether new products are better. But these days better most of the time new means more expensive. Like the 2nd gen Apple Pencil which is $30 more than the 1st gen.
    I agree with this. If you look at the specs of this new MBA, it's really just a bigger rMB.  The next step up is the MBP Escape which has a faster 2.3Ghz dual-core CPU and faster Intel Iris graphics

"The Surface 2 laptop with 8GB RAM and 128GB SSD starts at $999." => On top of that the Surface Laptop 2 has a quad-core CPU.
    Then that makes the $1199 pricing even more ridiculous.
    elijahgcanukstorm
  • Reply 94 of 181
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Guess they're gonna force feed a loud, gotta bang on it KB at us until we all say uncle....  ...I've finally been able to type a paragraph without too many errors, but I hardly love it, and not ready to trust it until the '18 MBP's have been out there a while longer.

....and I haven't seen the bill of materials and labor or anything, but I'm betting their gross margins on this machine aren't hurting after raising their base notebook by 20%.

But what caught my eye was the very limited config options which makes me wonder yet again how committed they are to the Mac. No i7 (or any other processor option), no quad core (which would still leave them a step below the Pro), storage jumps from 512 GB (already a $400 option) by another $800 to 1.5TB - so that's the base price of the computer just to upgrade onboard storage....! 

Wha' happen to 1TB (which is what I need)...??  Anyway with 512 and the 16GB of Ram it's $1800.

I was ready to order, but now - if I'm gonna pay the Apple tax, gonna hope for a CPU upgrade on the Pro which will allow it to have 32GB of low power DDR 4 RAM and blow the bank on that.  Plus still hoping they're continuing to get the KB more together.

I really don't have that many Mac-specific programs (mostly Office, Photoshop, DropBox, FireFox), so switching in that sense wouldn't be that painful, but at this point it's only how much I dislike Windows and Apple's hardware build quality (KB aside) that's keeping me on the Mac....

edited October 2018
  • Reply 95 of 181
    chia said:
    How is it better in every way than the current MacBook? And if it is what exactly is the point of the MacBook? And who is the audience for this device? $1200 is expensive for schools and students. The Surface 2 laptop with 8GB RAM and 128GB SSD starts at $999. That’s what this new MBA will be compared to.
    That is exactly the machine for schools and students with its eGPU support and 5K and two 4K display support. Schools and students supposedly Surface 2 targets have already bought their Chromebooks. If it is not Thunderbolt then it is Chromebook, not Surface 2.
    edited October 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 96 of 181
    I have a mid 2012 MacBook Air with 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD which I, even though it worked fine except battery change, wanted to update since 2016. All I wanted was a solid update for this good machine. No update in 2016 but a MBP with things I don't need and without the things I need (MagSafe, USB, SD Card, reliable keyboard).

I hoped till today and waited. The new MacBook Air is a disappointment. Still only 2 USB-C connectors, no SD, no MagSafe, no reliable keyboard for a hefty price. Additionally no possibility for upgrade or replacement of battery or SSD or RAM as with the 2012 machine.

The base version of this new MacBook Air costs in Germany 1550 USD. I have the money and i just paid  over 1000 USD for a new iphone XR, but the new MBA is not worth the money. Yes, I do get a better screen, Touch ID (good!), but still only 8GB RAM and only a 128 GB SSD, a keyboard which is worse and less connections. With an "old" keyboard and the connectors and 200 USD less I even might have bought one.

But why should I upgrade to this machine? Therefore I just ordered a new battery for my old machine and will keep it. Sadly as it is, in the next months will look for a Windows Machine. Perhaps a Hackintosh as macOS is the only reason I haven't switched yet.

I feel a lot of people think similar, I just don't get why Apple doesn't get it...

baconstangcropr
  • Reply 97 of 181
    docno42 said:
    rogifan_new said:
    I’m specifically referring to hardware.
    Which isn't very useful since HW without software might as well be a plain slab of metal or glass. 

Sure but OS preference is subjective.
  • Reply 98 of 181
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    mac_128 said:
    Still has a 100 year old headphone jack. Curious to see if the iPad rumors come true now ...

But no FaceID. Maybe next year...

Edit: yup. No headphone jack on the iPad Pro. Gonna be a lot of dongles hanging off that sucker ... 
    Wireless but dongle til you bongle bro.
    Haha ... clever. But wireless won't cut it for gaming and audio recording. Unless Apple has implemented low-latency in their wireless tech recently? 
    baconstang
  • Reply 99 of 181
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    ZeGerman said:
    I have a mid 2012 MacBook Air with 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD which I, even though it worked fine except battery change, wanted to update since 2016. All I wanted was a solid update for this good machine. No update in 2016 but a MBP with things I don't need and without the things I need (MagSafe, USB, SD Card, reliable keyboard).

I hoped till today and waited. The new MacBook Air is a disappointment. Still only 2 USB-C connectors, no SD, no MagSafe, no reliable keyboard for a hefty price. Additionally no possibility for upgrade or replacement of battery or SSD or RAM as with the 2012 machine.

The base version of this new MacBook Air costs in Germany 1550 USD. I have the money and i just paid  over 1000 USD for a new iphone XR, but the new MBA is not worth the money. Yes, I do get a better screen, Touch ID (good!), but still only 8GB RAM and only a 128 GB SSD, a keyboard which is worse and less connections. With an "old" keyboard and the connectors and 200 USD less I even might have bought one.

But why should I upgrade to this machine? Therefore I just ordered a new battery for my old machine and will keep it. Sadly as it is, in the next months will look for a Windows Machine. Perhaps a Hackintosh as macOS is the only reason I haven't switched yet.

I feel a lot of people think similar, I just don't get why Apple doesn't get it...

Mostly with you, but Hackintoshes may be dead as dodos soon with the proliferation of the T2 chip....
  • Reply 100 of 181
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    mac_128 said:
    Still has a 100 year old headphone jack. Curious to see if the iPad rumors come true now ...

But no FaceID. Maybe next year...

Edit: yup. No headphone jack on the iPad Pro. Gonna be a lot of dongles hanging off that sucker ... 
    So first you complain that they're using a 100-year-old technology (which isn't accurate anyway) and when you find out that they're not, you're complaining that you have to have dongles.   So what is it that you actually want aside from the ability to complain?  
    baconstangwatto_cobra