Apple's new 11- & 12.9-inch iPad Pros sport a massive redesign and gain Face ID, USB-C

Comments

• Reply 81 of 136
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    Rayz2016 said:
    kruegdude said:
    mario said:
    Give us Terminal, filesystem, Xcode and it could become viable computing device. Until then, this is glorified facebook machine.
    Add in floppy drive and liquid cooling as long as we’re going for completely useless additions. 

A punched card reader.

If there is no punched card reader in the next iPad Pro then Apple is dead to me …

I'm still waiting for my Vampire Tap for Thick Ethernet. I've got legacy gear I need to keep using 25+ years since anyone took it seriously.
  • Reply 82 of 136
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Here goes iPad to USB-C, there goes 2019 iPhones to USB-C. Looks trend, inevitable.
  • Reply 83 of 136
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    mac_128 said:
    Seems like the 100 year old headphone jack is gone? But still on the brand new MacBook Air!

Professional audio producers will likely be skipping the iPad Pro, or invest in a lot of dongles ...
    I'd imagine pro audio producers will be using digital I/O transfers rather than analog. But your "concern" over a problem you do not have has been noted.
    Is there a device that supplies the requisite connections? Power, audio, MIDI, USB... It seems the iPad Pro now needs a dock.
  • Reply 84 of 136
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    wood1208 said:
    Here goes iPad to USB-C, there goes 2019 iPhones to USB-C. Looks trend, inevitable.
    Not likely. Apples and oranges use cases. The iPad as a PC replacement and 1TB storage really needs to be industry standard compliant. The iPhone on the other hand is moving toward wireless everything, with no ports at all. I'd expect they will keep Lightning until they drop the port completely, so as not to force a massive installed user base the unnecessary effort of switching to USB-C for only a brief time. There's virtually no reason for USB-C on an iPhone.
  • Reply 85 of 136
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    melgross said:

mac_128 said:
    Seems like the 100 year old headphone jack is gone? But still on the brand new MacBook Air!

Professional audio producers will likely be skipping the iPad Pro, or invest in a lot of dongles ...
    It’s not nearly 100 years old, though analog is. Look, no pro uses that for anything other than headphones these days. Ior at least, they shouldn’t. The quality of the DACs are decent, but not up to pro quality. That may work for a DJ, but not for high quality work, such as recording, which the iPad Pro is used for in mobile a lot more than you would think.

Edoi: Just saw the AI article. Apple has a $9 adapter for the headphone jack, it you really want it. Also an adapter for SD cards.
    The headphone adapter doesn’t have a charging port on it, does it? This is the problem with the one port and the dongles. People need more than one thing to connect there.
  • Reply 86 of 136
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    thedba said:
    hentaiboy said:
    A $3.5K iPad anyone?
    You chose the top of the line iPad (12.9” + 1 TB storage + cell). That comes out to $USD 1899. However this amount does not include any state taxes. 
    Your amount does, thus NZ $3299 - $431 = NZ $2868. Converting that to US funds gives $USD 1892.88. You actually pay $US 6.12 less based on today’s exchange rate of US $0.66 to NZ $1. 
    Yes I understand exchange rates. Just wondering if anyone would be daft enough to spend that much on an iPad.
  • Reply 87 of 136
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    hentaiboy said:
    thedba said:
    hentaiboy said:
    A $3.5K iPad anyone?
    You chose the top of the line iPad (12.9” + 1 TB storage + cell). That comes out to $USD 1899. However this amount does not include any state taxes. 
    Your amount does, thus NZ $3299 - $431 = NZ $2868. Converting that to US funds gives $USD 1892.88. You actually pay $US 6.12 less based on today’s exchange rate of US $0.66 to NZ $1. 
    Yes I understand exchange rates. Just wondering if anyone would be daft enough to spend that much on an iPad.
    Peter Jackson could and likely would, as a tool for his directing, so there's one.
  • Reply 88 of 136
    hentaiboy said:
    A $3.5K iPad anyone?

Might be worth a vacation to the US!
  • Reply 89 of 136
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member

Every new product Apple announced today is more expensive than what it replaced.
    Every new product Apple announced today does way more than what it replaced.

See how that works? You exchange money, for things of value

Thankfully for you, you aren't required to buy the top of the line offerings. You can buy the regular iPad, which at $329, is *cheaper* than what it replaced. Heavens!
    Hey I’m just making an observation. It wasn’t always the case that a new and better product was more expensive. Apple added retina to the iPhone and iPad without raising the price. Same with adding Touch ID to the iPhone 5S. 
    Let me re-paste this, since you ignored it:

You can buy the regular iPad, which at $329, is *cheaper* than what it replaced. Heavens!

...the new iPad came in at $329, far less than the original $499 of the original iPads. Better, but cheaper. So what the fuck are you talking about? 

brucemcfastasleep
  • Reply 90 of 136

mac_128 said:
    kruegdude said:
    mac_128 said:
    Ok. Apple nailed the iPad Pro. They really are listening to us musicians and other creative pros. Everything they added is exactly what we needed. Lightening was too slow as an I/O. It limited how much audio I could stream. USB-C can pass 100s of audio streams, especially with that A12x! 

A12x, USB-C, and what they did what the Apple Pencil! Yeah baby. Now, how much? I’m worried. $1,500 loaded? 

Except they removed the headphone jack. More dongles. I know of no musicians asking for that. Lightning wasn’t the issue, as it can support USB 3 speeds, just Apple limiting it. But USB-C is more universal for a device positioned as a PC replacement.
    Shouldn’t you be moving on from the headphone jack concern? The narrative is getting a bit stale and, as someone mentioned earlier in the comments, “those cheap 3.5mm parts are just not up to pro studio quality in terms of ruggedness. 3.5mm is a nightmare in recording studios and live venues”
    No concern at all. Just stating a fact. It's still a widely used, and necessary connector in audio. Removing it from the iPad Pro which is one of the few portable devices that can run pro audio software definitely makes it a less convenient device for those planning to use it for that purpose. The MacBook Air is better suited for that now. Facts.
    More facts -- using a digital I/O such as USB-C is better than a 3.5mm analog out for transfers. And if you need to plug in the iPad to a legacy sound system such use an adapter for that use case. 
  • Reply 91 of 136

Another observation: the current iPad Pros are still in the line up but no price change. Even the iPad mini hangs around at the same price. And according to The Verge the new Pencil isn’t compatable with existing iPads and the 1st gen Pencil wont work with the new iPads. WTF.
    WTF what? New things don't work with old things all the time in computing. Are you new to computers or something?
    brucemc
  • Reply 92 of 136

supadav03 said:
    ismofam said:
    Can multiple people use face ID to log in to this often shared device?
    With “alternate appearance” at least 2 people should be. 

P.S. - are iPads really “often shared devices”? I have a family of 6 and 5 of them have their own iPads. I’m the only one without. Most people I know don’t shares their iPads either (anecdotal, of course).
    Agreed, in my household we have separate iPads and theyre often used simultaneously. 
  • Reply 93 of 136
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    ascii said:
    I'm excited to see some independent benchmarks of that amazing CPU, seems like the most exciting thing so far today.
    For iPad A12X appears to be the most exciting thing in years.  It was expecting some minor tweaks and a few more GPU cores like so many of the past X variants.  

After buying my iPhone XS I was going to hold off on a new iPad.  This new guy looks like a beast if it lives up to its billing.  Hopefully it doesn’t throttle much.  As such I hope there is plenty of testing and benchmarking real soon now.  
  • Reply 94 of 136

supadav03 said:
    ismofam said:
    Can multiple people use face ID to log in to this often shared device?
    With “alternate appearance” at least 2 people should be. 

P.S. - are iPads really “often shared devices”? I have a family of 6 and 5 of them have their own iPads. I’m the only one without. Most people I know don’t shares their iPads either (anecdotal, of course).
    Agreed, in my household we have separate iPads and theyre often used simultaneously. 
    When they first came out we got an iPad for each member of the household.  One of the major reasons was for reading comprehension.  We would sit around in the family room reading an iBook on our iPads:

• one person would read aloud 
    • the others would follow along listening and reading on their iPads
    • periodically, the person reading aloud would select another person to continue reading aloud (expected to pick up immediately)
    • at any time anyone could interrupt and ask the meaning of a word, phrase or what the author was intending to get across
    • the same for pronunciation or emphasis

It was fun, like a competition, and improved everyone's reading skills.  It helped one of my grandson's fear of speaking/reading aloud because of a speech impediment.

It made us experience and appreciate good books and new authors...

I still smile when I think of ty (then) 10-year-old grandson reading aloud from The Ballad Of The  Ice-Worm Cocktail:  "The hell I won't!" said Deacon White.

To Dawson Town came Percy Brown from London on the Thames.
    A pane of glass was in his eye, and stockings on his stems.
    Upon the shoulder of his coat a leather pad he wore, To rest his deadly rifle when it wasn't seeking gore; The which it must have often been, for Major Percy Brown, According to his story was a hunter of renown, Who in the Murrumbidgee wilds had stalked the kangaroo And killed the cassowary on the plains of Timbuctoo.
    And now the Arctic fox he meant to follow to its lair, And it was also his intent to beard the Artic hare. *

By gosh! it seems to me that some of extra size
    Were picked and put away to show the scientific guys.
    " Then deeply in a drawer he sought, and there he found a jar, The which with due and proper pride he put upon the bar; And in it, wreathed in queasy rings, or rolled into a ball, A score of grey and greasy things, were drowned in alcohol.
    Their bellies were a bilious blue, their eyes a bulbous red; Their back were grey, and gross were they, and hideous of head.
    And when with gusto and a fork the barman speared one out, It must have gone four inches from its tail-tip to its snout.
    Cried Deacon White with deep delight: "Say, isn't that a beaut?"
    "I think it is," sniffed Major Brown, "a most disgustin' brute.
    Its very sight gives me the pip.
    I'll bet my bally hat, You're only spoofin' me, old chap.
    You'll never swallow that.
    " "The hell I won't!" said Deacon White.
    "Hey! Bill, that fellows fine.
    Fix up four ice-worm cocktails, and just put that wop in mine.
    "
    edited October 2018
  • Reply 95 of 136
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Rayz2016 said:
    kruegdude said:
    mario said:
    Give us Terminal, filesystem, Xcode and it could become viable computing device. Until then, this is glorified facebook machine.
    Add in floppy drive and liquid cooling as long as we’re going for completely useless additions. 

A punched card reader.

If there is no punched card reader in the next iPad Pro then Apple is dead to me …

Would you believe?   There’s an app for that, sort of...

• Reply 96 of 136
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    melgross said:
    Ok, just ordered two new 12.9” models. Space Grey fior the first time. Two new Pencils too. Surprised at the increases in prices though, particularly for the Pencil.

but, we’re really stoked at what we saw in the presentation. The new A12X chip is really powered up this year. I was thinking they may go to 4 hi performance cores and 4 hi efficiency cores. Happy to see that’s right. Impressed by the GPU as well. New Pencil looks great. Wonder how many levels? Also, how much RAM. Have to check Apple’s site to see if that’s listed.

intereasted that they did go USB C. I hope its actually more compatible with normal drives, etc.
    That dry last comment is key.  USB-C will be a huge win IF it isn’t locked down.  That right now is my biggest fear, I’d hate to have to shop for USB-C devices with an AppleID chip.   Perhaps worse would be hardware tied to specific software.  Apple didn’t spend a lot of time on USB-C so lots of questions to be answered.  

As for A12X it looks like the biggest X delta ever.   Hopefully it can sustain performance in the iPad.  In any event A12X is exactly why I wanted to see Apple produce an ARM based laptop running MacOS.  
  • Reply 97 of 136
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    mario said:
    Total bullshit. Not being a dev machine in no way makes it not a computer or powerful device.

You're making the neckbeard mistake of believing *your* use case is equal to *all* use cases. Ego thinking.
    I don’t even think it’s that. It’s that some people are not able to understand new concepts. So they give us silly things instead. I suppose that if a device can’t do everything a mainframe can, it’s not a real computer. They were actually saying that when the first mini computers came out.
    tmay
  • Reply 98 of 136

mario said:
    kruegdude said:
    mario said:
    I actually develop software. I use terminal 99% of the time. How about you? Click on pictures to code?
    Meaningless. A computer is a device that computes. My Watch is also as much a computer as the one you develop with.
  • Reply 99 of 136

Another observation: the current iPad Pros are still in the line up but no price change. Even the iPad mini hangs around at the same price. And according to The Verge the new Pencil isn’t compatable with existing iPads and the 1st gen Pencil wont work with the new iPads. WTF.
    WTF what? New things don't work with old things all the time in computing. Are you new to computers or something?
    You really can be an ass you know. I have a perfectly good Pencil that is now useless with the new Pro I ordered. And the new Pencil is $30 more. So did the engineers and designers working on the Pencil not know anything about the iPad Pro pipeline and that lightning would be replaced by USB-C? Did anybody say hey, maybe paring via lightning port isn’t the best idea? Isn’t Apple supposed to be all about the best user experience?
  • Reply 100 of 136

Every new product Apple announced today is more expensive than what it replaced.
    Every new product Apple announced today does way more than what it replaced.

See how that works? You exchange money, for things of value

Thankfully for you, you aren't required to buy the top of the line offerings. You can buy the regular iPad, which at $329, is *cheaper* than what it replaced. Heavens!
    Hey I’m just making an observation. It wasn’t always the case that a new and better product was more expensive. Apple added retina to the iPhone and iPad without raising the price. Same with adding Touch ID to the iPhone 5S. 
    Some things cost more to implement, and so the price rises. Some things don’t, and so the price remains the same. Some things cost less, and so the price drops. Look at the price of the original MacBook Air.