Latest watchOS 5.1 update pulled after bricking some Apple Watch units [u]

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited October 2018
It appears Apple has another software issue on its hands with the release of watchOS 5.1, as a small number of Apple Watch owners are reporting the update renders their device useless.

Apple Watch Series 4Apple Watch Series 4 displaying Apple's new Infograph watch face.

According to a handful of reports posted to social media outlets and forums like Reddit, Apple's just released watchOS 5.1 software update "bricks" some Apple Watch hardware.

Users impacted by the apparent bug are able to download the update and begin the installation. The process seems to get stuck when Watch displays the Apple logo, which remains onscreen for hours.

The complications appear restricted to Apple Watch Series 4, though other Apple Watch models might also be affected. So far, however, reports are limited to Series 4 devices including Nike+ versions.

While some Series 4 owners have reported the bricking issue, others sailed through the watchOS 5.1 installation process with nary a hiccup.

Whether the problem is local -- perhaps a non-compliant Watch configuration -- or an issue with the update itself is likewise unknown. Apple has not commented on the reports and continues to host watchOS 5.1 on its servers.

With reports of bricked devices in the wild, users would be well served to hold off on updating their unit until the problem is rectified.

The watchOS 5.1 difficulties come on the heels of a separate bug that earlier this month caused Series 4 devices in Australia to enter a reboot loop when country switched over to daylight savings time.

Update: Apple has temporarily pulled watchOS 5.1 from circulation.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    my update was installing until I read about this on another site....
    to stop update while it's installing:

General>Usage>Software Update>Delete

i was able to delete in time
    edited October 2018 bcodeGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 2 of 41
    I was lucky apparently. No issues here. :)
  • Reply 3 of 41
    NY1822 said:

i was able to delete in time
    I updated my Series 4 and my wife’s Hermès Series 4. No problem with either watch. 
  • Reply 4 of 41
    No issues here.  Installed extremely quickly on my Series 4 from my iPhone X after the download. 
    edited October 2018 caladanian
  • Reply 5 of 41
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    No problem with my 4. Disappointed though that the ECG that I read today was coming with this update, apparently isn’t.
    caladanianGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 6 of 41
    Miked in NCMiked in NC Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Mine bricked.
    christophbGeorgeBMacpkguy323
  • Reply 7 of 41
    mwhitemwhite Posts: 287member
    Didn't brick my series 1.
  • Reply 8 of 41
    roakeroake Posts: 809member
    Updated my LTE Series 4 using my XS Max.  Bricked.

i called Apple.  They said the engineers knew of the issue but were still trying to collect info.

They asked me to hold down both volume controls and briefly press (half a second) the main button on the other side, causes it to briefly vibrate.  They said this would cause the phone to generate diagnostic logs.

The technition said he would call me back in a few minutes after the logs have had time to generate.
    edited October 2018 racerhomie3caladanianGeorgeBMacpkguy323
  • Reply 9 of 41
    My 4 bricked. Crap. 
    GeorgeBMacpkguy323
  • Reply 10 of 41
    Update pulled?  I’m not seeing the update in the Apple Watch app
  • Reply 11 of 41
    jdb8167jdb8167 Posts: 626member
    deefnasty said:
    Update pulled?  I’m not seeing the update in the Apple Watch app
    I downloaded it earlier but was away from the charging puck. Now it is not showing up. Looks like it was pulled. 
  • Reply 12 of 41
    My S4 bricked.  I’m told to take it in to my  store and they will have to send it out for repair/replacement - a minimum of five days for turn around.  As it is only a month old I’m told it’s covered under Applecare but would count as one of my two covered repairs??? WTF...
    GeorgeBMacgatorguypkguy323
  • Reply 13 of 41
    emoeller said:
    My S4 bricked.  I’m told to take it in to my  store and they will have to send it out for repair/replacement - a minimum of five days for turn around.  As it is only a month old I’m told it’s covered under Applecare but would count as one of my two covered repairs??? WTF...

That BS if it does. Shouldn’t it be covered under the regular warranty regardless?
    racerhomie3chiaGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 14 of 41
    tzm41tzm41 Posts: 95member
    My series 4 bricked too
    GeorgeBMacpkguy323
  • Reply 15 of 41
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    emoeller said:
    usmccop said:
    emoeller said:

That BS if it does. Shouldn’t it be covered under the regular warranty regardless?
    Hey, this just happened. Give Apple a few days to get its shit together and the narrative will change. Only Apple knows how many are affected so far and may not even know what the problem is yet. The first go around with level 1 support is always flakey when something like this happens.
    andrewj5790lolliverdtb200
  • Reply 16 of 41
    My S4 also bricked during the 5.1 upgrade. Chat had Apple Support call me because “multiple customers are impacted by the same thing” and I was transferred to a senior advisor. David will call me on Saturday to advise me of the engineer’s recommended course of action.
  • Reply 17 of 41
    My update was successful. Disappointed that the ECG was not included. How can I add a contact on my watch face like in the picture? 
    caladanianGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 18 of 41
    Yep. Happened to my wife's Watch. Luckily, I was out canvassing for Democrats and did not update my iPhone or Watch. Apple is going to express replace a new Watch for her. Sheesh!
  • Reply 19 of 41
    muadibemuadibe Posts: 134member
    Upgraded S4 cellular and S2 WiFi only with no issues. The S4 update was relatively quick.
  • Reply 20 of 41
    tzm41tzm41 Posts: 95member
    My update was successful. Disappointed that the ECG was not included. How can I add a contact on my watch face like in the picture? 
    Have to be in your favorite list I think, then you can see them in the list of options.
    lolliver