Apple unveils all new 13-inch MacBook Air with Retina display, Thunderbolt 3 and more

Comments

• Reply 141 of 181
    So, can this edit 4K video? I really want a tiny comp to be able to do that. 
  • Reply 142 of 181
    samrod said:
    So Apple's still selling the previous MBA for $999 just to have a bogus sub-$1,000 option. 
    And to offer one last laptop with a decent keyboard!
    irelandbaconstang
  • Reply 143 of 181
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    My current 2014 MBA has 256GB storage and only 20GB left. 125GB is just too small. You have to add about $300 for 256GB and another $200 for 512. Any other solutions?
    They still sell the last gen model. My suggestion would be to get that. Wish they lowered the price on it, but greed is good on Wall St.

https://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_air
    edited October 2018
  • Reply 144 of 181
    My current 2014 MBA has 256GB storage and only 20GB left. 125GB is just too small. You have to add about $300 for 256GB and another $200 for 512. Any other solutions?
    Do what I did, vote with your wallet and get a PC. I was way deep in the apple eco system especially with software. OS-X is still the best operating system but I found windows 10 has come a long way and is mostly good enough. For all my UNIX needs I either run a VM or use the inbuilt Ubuntu subsystem build into windows 10. Moving my lightroom collection over was seemless and Apple provides iCloud and ITunes for windows. With those major points sorted I slowly transitioned my other devices away from apple. Still like my iPad Pro but with the new released line up that is the next piece of Apple Kit scheduled to be replaced by a Microsoft Surface Pro. Only thing I dig out my Mac Book Pro for is "Final Cut Pro" as I shelled out fair bit for the license and I love that tool. Although I am sure moving to premiere will only take a couple of weeks effort.

It takes a bit of effort to get out of the eco system, but the alternatives are way better than they were 10 years ago.

I mainly just come to appleinsider out of habbit as I'm just used to visit the site couple of times a day to see what apple stuff I could order, now I am here to watch my ex favourite tech company systematically rape its customers with junk. 
     Yes I am very bitter about what apple has become.
    edited October 2018 avon b7
  • Reply 145 of 181
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    Well, I guess no Touch Bar in the MBA means the Touch Bar is dead from here on. 

I've found the Touch Bar useful in many cases, while Apple and most others didn't find it was worth it. 
  • Reply 146 of 181
    elijahg said:
    Speegs said:
    $1199 laptop with a base storage of 128gb in 2018 brehs. 

This company is price gouging its customers more than ever before. 
    If true then surely the market will respond by shunning it. But nah, thy won't, because they aren't gouging. Value != "cheap". Stick to your Dell, bro.

They're gouging. You can get the same specs elsewhere for $999. People will pay a bit more for the Apple premium, but not a lot more. If Apple charged $3999 for this you'd still say it's good value. 128GB SSD on a $1199 computer is good value? You've gotta be a troll. 

Speegs said:

If true then surely the market will respond by shunning it. But nah, thy won't, because that isn't happening. Value != "cheap". Stick to your Dell, bro.
    So what happened to Kuo’s prediction of a sub $1000 laptop? Also Windows laptops have gotten much better over the past few years. They’re not just cheap plastic anymore.

The rMB & rMBA positioning is very odd. Unless the rMB will be the first Apple laptop to go ARM I don’t see what the point of it is anymore.

It may well have have a $999 tag courtesy of marketing, but Cook saw this and couldn't resist another of his yearly $$$ bumps while rubbing his hands with glee.

I also questioned why the rMBA is still around. It was a pretty pointless device anyway, essentially a slower MBA with a better screen. Weird.

As others have said, PCs are nowhere as near as crap as they used to be. We're well past the bad press around Win 8, people are "alright" with Win 10. Build quality of midrange $799 PCs is still nowhere near Apple's, but it's good enough for most. Meanwhile Apple continues raising prices. Apologists can't use that as an excuse any more to justify Apple's prices. It used to be the case 5 or so years ago that people here complained about missing ports/RAM/CPU/GPU options, with the odd concern about price. Now it's predominantly a debate on how expensive Apple gear has become. That proves what a high proportion of people now think Apple's overpricing their gear. 

Apple doesn't drop prices as devices age. Instead, they used to spec bump and keep prices the same. Cook's Apple doesn't drop prices as products age, but it does bump prices each time there's a spec bump. Will he ever be satisfied with the vast profits Apple makes?
    What’s embarrassing is the non-retina MBA is still in the lineup but at $999. 
    Embarrassing to whom? Not to Apple if people are continuing to buy it as the cheap option.

You keep bringing up how PCs are cheaper (200 bucks, big whoop), as if that should be proof that Apple should match them dollar for dollar. They don't, they never have, and they likely never will. Macs are premium. PCs are cheap.
    Have you seen the price of PC's these days? They're anything but cheap. They are premium-priced and very well-made.
    freethinkingrogifan_new
  • Reply 147 of 181
    larryjw said:
    Well, I guess no Touch Bar in the MBA means the Touch Bar is dead from here on. 

I've found the Touch Bar useful in many cases, while Apple and most others didn't find it was worth it. 

Nah I’m sure it’s just reserved for the Pro laptops. Would be too expensive for the Air.
  • Reply 148 of 181
    elijahg said:
    Speegs said:

If true then surely the market will respond by shunning it. But nah, thy won't, because they aren't gouging. Value != "cheap". Stick to your Dell, bro.

They're gouging. You can get the same specs elsewhere for $999. People will pay a bit more for the Apple premium, but not a lot more. If Apple charged $3999 for this you'd still say it's good value. 128GB SSD on a $1199 computer is good value? You've gotta be a troll. 

Speegs said:

If true then surely the market will respond by shunning it. But nah, thy won't, because that isn't happening. Value != "cheap". Stick to your Dell, bro.
    So what happened to Kuo’s prediction of a sub $1000 laptop? Also Windows laptops have gotten much better over the past few years. They’re not just cheap plastic anymore.

The rMB & rMBA positioning is very odd. Unless the rMB will be the first Apple laptop to go ARM I don’t see what the point of it is anymore.

It may well have have a $999 tag courtesy of marketing, but Cook saw this and couldn't resist another of his yearly $$$ bumps while rubbing his hands with glee.

I also questioned why the rMBA is still around. It was a pretty pointless device anyway, essentially a slower MBA with a better screen. Weird.

As others have said, PCs are nowhere as near as crap as they used to be. We're well past the bad press around Win 8, people are "alright" with Win 10. Build quality of midrange $799 PCs is still nowhere near Apple's, but it's good enough for most. Meanwhile Apple continues raising prices. Apologists can't use that as an excuse any more to justify Apple's prices. It used to be the case 5 or so years ago that people here complained about missing ports/RAM/CPU/GPU options, with the odd concern about price. Now it's predominantly a debate on how expensive Apple gear has become. That proves what a high proportion of people now think Apple's overpricing their gear. 

Apple doesn't drop prices as devices age. Instead, they used to spec bump and keep prices the same. Cook's Apple doesn't drop prices as products age, but it does bump prices each time there's a spec bump. Will he ever be satisfied with the vast profits Apple makes?
    Embarrassing to whom? Not to Apple if people are continuing to buy it as the cheap option.

You keep bringing up how PCs are cheaper (200 bucks, big whoop), as if that should be proof that Apple should match them dollar for dollar. They don't, they never have, and they likely never will. Macs are premium. PCs are cheap.
    Have you seen the price of PC's these days? They're anything but cheap. They are premium-priced and very well-made.
    Yes. Windows aside the hardware on these machines isn’t crap anymore. Though I did get a kick out of the MBA presenter saying the webcam is at the top where it belongs. ;)
    elijahg
  • Reply 149 of 181
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,334member
    So glad I purchased two 2017 edition MacBook AIR's this summer for my kid's educational needs.  I pretty much knew Apple would gut the AIR like they did all the other notebook models.  No SD card slot is the epitome of stupidity, not to mention the lack of MagSafe and the addition of that horrid keyboard (3rd gen or no).  My kids use USB-A devices all the time, making the 2017 edition AIR a very practical machine.  I wish it came with a Retina display, but there's no way I would be willing to sacrifice all those other important features for that.  The 2017 AIR is adequate for education.
    baconstang
  • Reply 150 of 181
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Sure but OS preference is subjective.
    And the sky is blue?  

Reading your posts... why the heck are you here?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 151 of 181
    rogifan_new said:
    Not everyone needs higher end stuff.  Like schools. 

Not everything is about you.  Or me.  Or even the other users of this forum.

I never understand comments like yours.  People need to seriously get over themselves. 
    edited October 2018 baconstangelijahgyvo84watto_cobra
  • Reply 152 of 181
    If you were a serious audio person making recordings (which you aren't), you'd opt for an all-digital connector, not an analog one.
    lol - at some point audio is analog. And Apple's built in stuff was actually more than pretty good.  It was beyond asinine for them to drop the headphone jack.  It's not like space was an issue.  Someone just has a bug up their ass about minimalism for the sake of minimalism - functionality be damned.   

I always figured Apple would go out with a wimpier, not a bang - it sucks that it's happening so soon with the Macs. 
    edited October 2018 baconstangirelandelijahg
  • Reply 153 of 181
    docno42 said:
    rogifan_new said:
    Not everyone needs higher end stuff.  Like schools. 

Not everything is about you.  Or me.  Or even the other users of this forum.

I never understand comments like yours.  People need to seriously get over themselves. 
    Of course. But $999? That’s probably why schools are on the Chromebook bandwagon.
    elijahg
  • Reply 154 of 181
    Speegs said:

But the market will catch up, we're already seeing a real strong push against Apple from all corners of consumers. But honestly, shouldn't you be knowledgable about this by now? or you just a dumb millennial? When apple actually put out quality products with value people like me were still buying and saying the Apple Tax was reasonable for the value you got. This is not the case anymore since most companies have the design aspect to go a long with the strong internals. We're not in 2005 anymore kiddo. 
    edited October 2018 freethinkingelijahgavon b7
  • Reply 155 of 181
    lkrupp said:
    The presenter seems to be uncomfortable on stage. She sounds canned like she is reading from a teleprompter. I don't see the unbridled enthusiasm that Jobs projected. But to be honest, there was only one Steve Jobs and he’s gone now. 
    Stop. She's nervous, not bored. Public speaking is a skill, and skills have to practiced (I'd wager you'd suck at it in her shoes). Apple speakers are always their real team members. Craig was nervous and forced when he began as well, but is now one of their better public speakers.
    When a person is nervous, there can be no "please stop cut her/him some slack". A person is either comfortable and that helps sell the product. Or, you have to get another person who can do that. What is the point of even presenting it like that, then? This is supposed to be a high skill level presentation, not some highshool project level presentation. 
    freethinkingelijahg
  • Reply 156 of 181
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,699member
    lkrupp said:
    The presenter seems to be uncomfortable on stage. She sounds canned like she is reading from a teleprompter. I don't see the unbridled enthusiasm that Jobs projected. But to be honest, there was only one Steve Jobs and he’s gone now. 
    Stop. She's nervous, not bored. Public speaking is a skill, and skills have to practiced (I'd wager you'd suck at it in her shoes). Apple speakers are always their real team members. Craig was nervous and forced when he began as well, but is now one of their better public speakers.
    When a person is nervous, there can be no "please stop cut her/him some slack". A person is either comfortable and that helps sell the product. Or, you have to get another person who can do that. What is the point of even presenting it like that, then? This is supposed to be a high skill level presentation, not some highshool project level presentation. 
    Do you remember when Craig Federighi gave his first presentation? He was such a nervous wreck that his nickname was Shaky Hands because his hands shook so much when he was moving the mouse during a demo.  Now, he's one of Apple's best presenters.  People should be given a chance & they can improve as time goes by.  Not everybody is or ever will be a Steve Jobs caliber presenter.
    baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 157 of 181
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    $1199 Ouch. So what’s the point of the retina MacBook now? No mention of it on stage yet so I assume it’s just getting a spec bump unless Apple is killing it?
    The retina MacBook (US$1299) is only more expensive because pricing starts with a 256GB SSD, whereas the MacBook Air (US$1199) pricing starts with a 128GB SSD.

Apple could have easily offered a 128GB retina MacBook at the (US$1199). I think Apple intentionally withheld a 128GB MacBook so the 13.3 inch retina Air could launch at the lowest price point, fulfilling the 'Air' promise.

In reality the 13.3 inch retina Air is being strategically massaged into a non-entry-level price bracket.

The legacy Air ($999) received no update marking it as end-of-life. When that goes what is being called the new Air will functionally be a 13 inch retina MacBook. The 12 inch MacBook model has a smaller display, slower processor, fewer ports, and no Touch ID. A price drop is the only thing holding it back from being the entry-level laptop.

baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 158 of 181
    I'm still in shock. Honestly. I've waited a long time for a new MacBook Air and this is what they put out at $1199 price point? People need to let apple start sinking because they are out of their minds. Seriously, this computer is $100 less than a pro, it has that crappy keyboard no one likes, and it's base model starts at 128gb which may not even be enough to backup an iPhone lol It used to be haters that said "sheeple" to every Apple consumer but honestly now people are truly sheeple for still supporting this company. This has gone way too far
  • Reply 159 of 181
    lkrupp said:
    Do you remember when Craig Federighi gave his first presentation? He was such a nervous wreck that his nickname was Shaky Hands because his hands shook so much when he was moving the mouse during a demo.  Now, he's one of Apple's best presenters.  People should be given a chance & they can improve as time goes by.  Not everybody is or ever will be a Steve Jobs caliber presenter.

People seem to dislike the fact that Tim is allowing the people responsible to talk about the products. I think it is very nice to see all these new people on the stage. Sure, most of the first-timers were nervous, but as you pointed out, they will get better.

baconstangcanukstormwatto_cobra
  • Reply 160 of 181
    If you were a serious audio person making recordings (which you aren't), you'd opt for an all-digital connector, not an analog one.
    I blocked StrangeDays a long time ago because s/he insists on being insulting and arrogant, but if I'd known I was missing gems like this I might have reconsidered!

I wonder how the Serious Audio Person listens to a digital signal? Transducers are about as definitively analog as it gets.

But seriously, it's a fucking headphone jack. I don't want to dig out a goddam Apogee every time I need to make a quick edit, nor does it make any sense to have an external I/O box hanging from a device that is designed specifically for hand-held use.

I'm not tilting at windmills anymore -- I have wireless cans for consumption -- but I still spend a lot of my life plugging the old 7506's into "inferior" 3.5mm holes. It seems like an odd choice to remove that hole from a device that's ostensibly aimed at "creators."

docno42 said:
    lol
    You didn't need to type anything else after the bit quoted above! That says it all.
    baconstangelijahgdocno42