Apple's new 11- & 12.9-inch iPad Pros sport a massive redesign and gain Face ID, USB-C

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 136
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,700member
    melgross said:

Another observation: the current iPad Pros are still in the line up but no price change. Even the iPad mini hangs around at the same price. And according to The Verge the new Pencil isn’t compatable with existing iPads and the 1st gen Pencil wont work with the new iPads. WTF.
    WTF what? New things don't work with old things all the time in computing. Are you new to computers or something?
    You really can be an ass you know. I have a perfectly good Pencil that is now useless with the new Pro I ordered. And the new Pencil is $30 more. So did the engineers and designers working on the Pencil not know anything about the iPad Pro pipeline and that lightning would be replaced by USB-C? Did anybody say hey, maybe paring via lightning port isn’t the best idea? Isn’t Apple supposed to be all about the best user experience?
    My daughter and I also have perfectly good Pencils. But it is what it is. We’re spending $1,250, plus $129 AppleCare for each of these things. Another $129 for the Pencil doesn’t seem like a problem. If you’re a real pro, I’ll say what I always do, have your accountant write this off as with any expense, capital, or otherwise. If you’re not a pro, then it’s an expense for your hobby, and hobbies cost money.
    Well if you’re already spending X what’s the problem with spending an extra Y. This is how Apple gets people to spend more money. Like with the RAM. Is there a technical reason the non terabyte models only get 4GB RAM while the 1TB model gets 6GB? More RAM is never a bad thing but now to get it you have to spend $400 more than the base model even if you don’t need 1TB of storage. I ordered a new iPad Pro because I use my iPad all the time and it really looks like a fantastic device. But the price increases and nickel and diming is getting annoying. The new Pro I ordered with pencil, case and Apple Care was close to $1600. That’s a lot of money and every year now prices go up. :(
    On the bright side, at least you'll have an iPad that will be powerful enough to give you 4 years of solid useful life.  By that time, iPad Pros will come with 8GB RAM.
  • Reply 122 of 136
    melgross said:

Another observation: the current iPad Pros are still in the line up but no price change. Even the iPad mini hangs around at the same price. And according to The Verge the new Pencil isn’t compatable with existing iPads and the 1st gen Pencil wont work with the new iPads. WTF.
    WTF what? New things don't work with old things all the time in computing. Are you new to computers or something?
    You really can be an ass you know. I have a perfectly good Pencil that is now useless with the new Pro I ordered. And the new Pencil is $30 more. So did the engineers and designers working on the Pencil not know anything about the iPad Pro pipeline and that lightning would be replaced by USB-C? Did anybody say hey, maybe paring via lightning port isn’t the best idea? Isn’t Apple supposed to be all about the best user experience?
    My daughter and I also have perfectly good Pencils. But it is what it is. We’re spending $1,250, plus $129 AppleCare for each of these things. Another $129 for the Pencil doesn’t seem like a problem. If you’re a real pro, I’ll say what I always do, have your accountant write this off as with any expense, capital, or otherwise. If you’re not a pro, then it’s an expense for your hobby, and hobbies cost money.
    Well if you’re already spending X what’s the problem with spending an extra Y. This is how Apple gets people to spend more money. Like with the RAM. Is there a technical reason the non terabyte models only get 4GB RAM while the 1TB model gets 6GB? More RAM is never a bad thing but now to get it you have to spend $400 more than the base model even if you don’t need 1TB of storage. I ordered a new iPad Pro because I use my iPad all the time and it really looks like a fantastic device. But the price increases and nickel and diming is getting annoying. The new Pro I ordered with pencil, case and Apple Care was close to $1600. That’s a lot of money and every year now prices go up. :(
    On the bright side, at least you'll have an iPad that will be powerful enough to give you 4 years of solid useful life.  By that time, iPad Pros will come with 8GB RAM.
    Current models have 4GB. Definitely a step up from the days of a paltry 1GB where Safari tabs would constantly re-load. 6GB would’ve been great but I don’t need 1TB storage.
    canukstorm
  • Reply 123 of 136
    USB-C......WHY?! 
  • Reply 124 of 136
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,700member
    USB-C......WHY?! 
    USB-C is Apple telegraphing intent.  The iPad Pro is on the path become more "computer-like".
    applefanpro
  • Reply 125 of 136
    melgross said:

In Rogi's case, she'll have an iPad that she can get 4 years of solid complaining out of.
    brucemcfastasleep
  • Reply 126 of 136
    Supplying power to the iPad Pros is an 18-Watt USB-C adapter, one that Apple was previously rumored to be working on, but doesn't appear to be available separately from the devices. Battery life is rated at 10 hours for both models.

Well, the 18W charger has come to pass. I am really scratching my head at the recently released 30W now. So their line-up is 5W with all iPhones, 12W with iPads (and presumably continuing with the previously released Pro models), 18W for the new Pros, and a 30W for people who, what, want to shell out $50 for the slight decrease in charging time vs the 18W for Pros.
    I have to think that eventually the 18W will be available for sale separately, so I’m not sure who else the market for the 30W could be for because if an iPhone user wants to buy up to the faster charging, wouldn’t he buy the 18W? Maybe other iPad users (particularly of the older Pro models) would buy it as replacements since there probably won’t be a big price difference from the 18W to the 30W, but that still doesn’t seem like such a big market.
  • Reply 127 of 136
    melgross said:

In Rogi's case, she'll have an iPad that she can get 4 years of solid complaining out of.
    Well I’ve had my current Pro for 2 years and never complained about it so I’m not sure what you’re talking about.
  • Reply 128 of 136

mbenz1962 said:
    Supplying power to the iPad Pros is an 18-Watt USB-C adapter, one that Apple was previously rumored to be working on, but doesn't appear to be available separately from the devices. Battery life is rated at 10 hours for both models.

Well, the 18W charger has come to pass. I am really scratching my head at the recently released 30W now. So their line-up is 5W with all iPhones, 12W with iPads (and presumably continuing with the previously released Pro models), 18W for the new Pros, and a 30W for people who, what, want to shell out $50 for the slight decrease in charging time vs the 18W for Pros.
    I have to think that eventually the 18W will be available for sale separately, so I’m not sure who else the market for the 30W could be for because if an iPhone user wants to buy up to the faster charging, wouldn’t he buy the 18W? Maybe other iPad users (particularly of the older Pro models) would buy it as replacements since there probably won’t be a big price difference from the 18W to the 30W, but that still doesn’t seem like such a big market.
    What does the new MBA ship with?
    mbenz1962
  • Reply 129 of 136
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    melgross said:

Well I’ve had my current Pro for 2 years and never complained about it so I’m not sure what you’re talking about.
    Perhaps you are not aware of it, but you come here almost EVERY DAY and complain about Apple...
    fastasleep
  • Reply 130 of 136

mbenz1962 said:

You are bang on the nose and if I had a cookie I’d send it to you. I didn’t check the newly released MBA because I figured it would come with the same 45W brick as the previous one (just with USB-C). Good call!
    edited October 2018
  • Reply 131 of 136
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    MplsP said:
    melgross said:

If you can afford $1300 for an iPad, yes, you can probably afford another $130 for a pencil, but that's not pocket change and it is galling that they make the old pencil incompatible for no apparent reason. Some people here seem to think people should be happy to spend however much Apple wants us to spend and if we complain then we're just a bunch of trolls or haters. 
    I just hate it when people say “for no apparent reason”. Do you know the hardware and software designs of these? No? Why am I not surprised? I doubt very much that Apple deliberately made things incompatible just because. I also doubt that the Pencil is such a great money maker for them that they decided to deliberately disable compatibility because they were so excited to make so much money on the new Pencil.

ive been using Wacom tablets going back to the early 1980’s. Over the years, I’ve found that older styli no longer work with newer tablets, and sometimes the other way around. That’s what happens when you do something newer, and better. There are professional tools. They evolve. We’re going through the same thing in photography now with the new mirrorless cameras. Some companies have a lot of their older lenses work with an adapter, but not all. Some make them all work. Back in the late 1980’s, Canon discontinued their breechlock mount for the electronic EOS mount. None of the old lenses could work on the new cameras, and the other way around. There was a great deal of,gnashing of teeth, mine too. But Canon thrived after that.

sometimes you just have to do it.
    edited October 2018
  • Reply 132 of 136
    MplsP said:
    tmay said:
    MplsP said:
    tmay said:

The Apple Pencil is a digital stylus pen that works as an input device for the iPad Pro and the 2018 iPad, both tablet computers. Designed by Apple Inc., it was announced on September 9, 2015 alongside the iPad Pro, and released in conjunction with it on November 11, 2015.

Lots of technology evolution in 3 years. 

You need to move on.
    And a USB mouse that was introduced in 1998 still works just fine with every computer on the market today. And the bluetooth in a 10 year old car still works with an iPhone Xs. I don't expect the old iPad to be able to use the new pencil, but I do expect the new iPad to work with the old pencil. Just because technology advances doesn't mean the old tech is obsolete or necessarily needs to be incompatible.

I didn't expect the new iPad Pro to work with my first generation Pencil, and I'll have to wait until more details are uncovered to make a judgement of Apple's motive for that.

But feel free to continue your rant unabated.
    Not ranting, just responding to your flawed logic.
    Your logic is flawed because you think you can equate all types of technology as though they’re all the same. They’re not. Some things that are simple, low performance devices can have continuity over generations, and some are too complex for that. Is Apple still using scsi drives? No, they aren’t. Are parallel ATA drives compatible? No. Are SATA drives compatible with either? No. Are new SSDs that mount directly to the mobo through the pci bus compatible with any of those? No. And what about the now 4 different types of board mounted SSDs? Not compatible with each other.

that’s the way it is.
  • Reply 133 of 136

mbenz1962 said:

I assumed the same charger the Macbook came with. I’m one of those who bought that 29 watt USB C  Macbook charger for my iPad Pro 12.9”. But the Air is showing a 30 watt USB C charger. That’s interesting, because the page for the Macbook now shows 30 Watts for that too.

because that’s confusing, I just checked the Macbook charger I bought. Yup. It says 29 Watts. I guess they changed it to sell the same charger and have one less SKU to stock.
    edited October 2018
  • Reply 134 of 136
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    melgross said:
    MplsP said:
    tmay said:
    MplsP said:
    tmay said:

The Apple Pencil is a digital stylus pen that works as an input device for the iPad Pro and the 2018 iPad, both tablet computers. Designed by Apple Inc., it was announced on September 9, 2015 alongside the iPad Pro, and released in conjunction with it on November 11, 2015.

You need to move on.
    And a USB mouse that was introduced in 1998 still works just fine with every computer on the market today. And the bluetooth in a 10 year old car still works with an iPhone Xs. I don't expect the old iPad to be able to use the new pencil, but I do expect the new iPad to work with the old pencil. Just because technology advances doesn't mean the old tech is obsolete or necessarily needs to be incompatible.

I didn't expect the new iPad Pro to work with my first generation Pencil, and I'll have to wait until more details are uncovered to make a judgement of Apple's motive for that.

Your logic is flawed because you think you can equate all types of technology as though they’re all the same. They’re not. Some things that are simple, low performance devices can have continuity over generations, and some are too complex for that. Is Apple still using scsi drives? No, they aren’t. Are parallel ATA drives compatible? No. Are SATA drives compatible with either? No. Are new SSDs that mount directly to the mobo through the pci bus compatible with any of those? No. And what about the now 4 different types of board mounted SSDs? Not compatible with each other.

that’s the way it is.
    I did not equate all technology any more than tmay did - s/he implied that one has no right to expect technology to work for more than 3 years and I pointed out that there are plenty of examples of technology that has evolved while still maintaining backward compatibility.

The Apple Pencil uses a 3-axis accelerometer and a pressure-sensitive conductive tip. It communicates the relevant data back to the iPad via a bluetooth connection. None of these should pose any issues for the new iPad. Since you seem to have such an intricate knowledge of how the apple pencil works, I'd be interested in hearing why the old pencil can't work with the new iPads. For all we know it may be as simple as the fact that they didn't want people using a pencil with a lightning connector with a USB C iPad. 

Ultimately, this costs me nothing. I have a 2017 12" iPad pro with the appropriate pencil and they both work great. I have no need/justification to upgrade to the new iPad, so my hardware will continue to work fine. The new pencil definitely looks nice and a clear step up from the old one but I'll be happy with what I've got.

edited October 2018 mac_128
  • Reply 135 of 136
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    MplsP said:
    melgross said:
    MplsP said:
    tmay said:
    MplsP said:
    tmay said:

You need to move on.

that’s the way it is.
    I did not equate all technology any more than tmay did - s/he implied that one has no right to expect technology to work for more than 3 years and I pointed out that there are plenty of examples of technology that has evolved while still maintaining backward compatibility.

The Apple Pencil uses a 3-axis accelerometer and a pressure-sensitive conductive tip. It communicates the relevant data back to the iPad via a bluetooth connection. None of these should pose any issues for the new iPad. Since you seem to have such an intricate knowledge of how the apple pencil works, I'd be interested in hearing why the old pencil can't work with the new iPads. For all we know it may be as simple as the fact that they didn't want people using a pencil with a lightning connector with a USB C iPad. 

Ultimately, this costs me nothing. I have a 2017 12" iPad pro with the appropriate pencil and they both work great. I have no need/justification to upgrade to the new iPad, so my hardware will continue to work fine. The new pencil definitely looks nice and a clear step up from the old one but I'll be happy with what I've got.

My actual statements:

"The Apple Pencil is a digital stylus pen that works as an input device for the iPad Pro and the 2018 iPad, both tablet computers. Designed by Apple Inc., it was announced on September 9, 2015 alongside the iPad Pro, and released in conjunction with it on November 11, 2015.

Lots of technology evolution in 3 years". 

You need to move on.

"I didn't expect the new iPad Pro to work with my first generation Pencil, and I'll have to wait until more details are uncovered to make a judgement of Apple's motive for that.

But feel free to continue your rant unabated."

The first generation Pencil requires a Lightning connection for initial pairing; now that the iPad Pro's have USB C, that pairing mode isn't available. Maybe Apple could have created a workaround so that the user could enjoy an impaired experience with the current generation iPad Pro, though I'm guessing that no creative would want to put up with that for any length of time.

Since we don't yet know what technological improvements have been implemented by Apple for the second generation Pencil, nor the underlying iPad Pro screen technology that supports it, and since I was specifically speaking of the the Pencil and current iPad Pro's, I'm happy to stick with my original statement.

The bottom line of all this, is that no one in this community has any idea of what advances have been made to the current Pencil and its embedded support in the new generation of iPad 
    Pro's, but it would be unlikely that Apple wouldn't have made improvements.
  • Reply 136 of 136
    tmay said:
    MplsP said:
    melgross said:
    MplsP said:
    tmay said:
    MplsP said:
    tmay said:

You need to move on.

that’s the way it is.

My actual statements:

"The Apple Pencil is a digital stylus pen that works as an input device for the iPad Pro and the 2018 iPad, both tablet computers. Designed by Apple Inc., it was announced on September 9, 2015 alongside the iPad Pro, and released in conjunction with it on November 11, 2015.

Lots of technology evolution in 3 years". 

You need to move on.

"I didn't expect the new iPad Pro to work with my first generation Pencil, and I'll have to wait until more details are uncovered to make a judgement of Apple's motive for that.

But feel free to continue your rant unabated."

The first generation Pencil requires a Lightning connection for initial pairing; now that the iPad Pro's have USB C, that pairing mode isn't available. Maybe Apple could have created a workaround so that the user could enjoy an impaired experience with the current generation iPad Pro, though I'm guessing that no creative would want to put up with that for any length of time.

Since we don't yet know what technological improvements have been implemented by Apple for the second generation Pencil, nor the underlying iPad Pro screen technology that supports it, and since I was specifically speaking of the the Pencil and current iPad Pro's, I'm happy to stick with my original statement.

The bottom line of all this, is that no one in this community has any idea of what advances have been made to the current Pencil and its embedded support in the new generation of iPad Pro's, but it would be unlikely that Apple wouldn't have made improvements.
    This is certainly one good reason all by itself. I’m also LED to believe that the new technology makes it difficult to transfer between the two. I’m sure more technical info will be coming out over the next few days and weeks.

https://www.macworld.com/article/3318218/iphone-ipad/old-apple-pencil-a-sacrifice-for-a-usb-c-future.html