First Look at Apple's new 2018 iPad Pros, Apple Pencil, and Smart Keyboard

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    Incredible.  More than 20 years after Steve killed the Newton, Apple is still afraid to try handwriting recognition.  Innovation?  Not so much.
  • Reply 22 of 34
    Incredible.  More than 20 years after Steve killed the Newton, Apple is still afraid to try handwriting recognition.  Innovation?  Not so much.
    The Apple notes app has handwriting recognition. Hand written notes are scanned and indexed, and will show up in search.  Maybe not what you were hoping for, but clearly they are not “afraid” of it. 
    chiarandominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 34
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    I think the new iPad Pro is going to be a hit. I just bought a 12.9 with 256G, the sweet spot for all I need: books library, music library, photo library, games and a few misc apps. The pencil and cover are more expensive, but for me they are necessary, so I bought them all. Delivery would be 7th of Nov, can't wait!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 34
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member

just use Nebo for handwriting recognition in documents, conversion to text etc. it’s pretty good and worth the few dollars it charges.
    and get the stylus keyboard feature for system wide use of the Apple Pencil.

i wonder if the USB C to 3.5mm aux adapter works in MBPs as well?
    edited October 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 34
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,644member
    I’m not even done paying off my iPad Pro 256GB, Pencil 1.0, and keyboard from last year (18mo, 0%).  

I’m impressed, but ouch those prices.  Oh, well.  Good for my stock.  

Plus, wife wants a new iPad MINI.  Is it too much to ask for an A10-11 or 12 in the same form factor?   She’s still using a mini 2.  
    watto_cobrafirelock
  • Reply 26 of 34
    Handwriting is not a standard input method, if it is an input method at all. Do you use handwriting recognition on your desktop computer? Wouldn't it be better that you write comfortably on your desk and the computer recognizes what you write?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 34
    bathurststbathurstst Posts: 5unconfirmed, member
    For those wondering how FaceID will work if you’re covering it with your fingers... As someone once said, “You’re holding it wrong...”
    MplsPmuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 34
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,929member
    For those wondering how FaceID will work if you’re covering it with your fingers... As someone once said, “You’re holding it wrong...”
     :D 

I’m trying to figure out why you would want handwriting recognition? I had a palm pilot back in the day, and the modified alphabet system Palm developed worked, but a keyboard, either physical or touch screen, is orders of magnitude more efficient than handwriting. For stuff that doesn’t lend itself to typing, like equations, the pencil works fine and text recognition wouldn’t work anyway. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 34
    Jobs never actually said that. It was "Just avoid holding it in that way".
    randominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 34
    I'm dying to know if I can now tether (lightening-USB-C) my iPhone to my new USB-C iPad to share the internet connection rather than having to personal hotspot via WiFi / Bluetooth
    I'll be shocked if that's an option (at this time).
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 34
    dysamoria said:
    hammerd2 said:
    So if I buy a new iPad Pro and want to watch a video or listen to music while travelling do I now also have to buy AirPods ? So another £159 on top. Have I missed something glaringly obvious ?
    Yes, the fact fact you can use:

- USB-C headphones
    - an adapter
    - existing BT headphones of any price point

...so your claim that one must 159 is bunk. 
    But that adapter doesn’t permit charging/powering through that port, right? It’s just Lightning to headphone connector?
    USB-C to headphone (no lightning).  https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MU7E2AM/A/usb-c-to-35-mm-headphone-jack-adapter?fnode=91
  • Reply 32 of 34
    entropys said:

i wonder if the USB C to 3.5mm aux adapter works in MBPs as well?
    No reason it shouldn't.  The description says for use with all your "USB-C devices" so presumably that includes MacBooks.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 34
    YupaYupa Posts: 6unconfirmed, member
    dysamoria said:
    mjtomlin said:
    dysamoria said:
    How does Face ID work when holding the iPad results in blocking the requisite hardware by holding the device with your hands on its tiny bezel?

They went over that in the article and the video.... It alerts you that you’re covering the camera.
    Thank you for that info, I missed it in the article and hadn’t watched the video.

It doesn’t seem like an ideal design, so I’m eager to hear from people who end up using them. I wont be. I’m too poor to replace my existing iPad Pro, and I’m not keen on how they haven’t replaced that slippery Pencil tip (and it’s infuriating how Apple refuses to fix bugs). Who knows, though, what the future will bring. All I know for sure is that my device will be considered obsolete and all the interesting software will be unavailable on it. :-/
    Shouldn't be a problem. When you grab the device in landscape, you just avoid to hide the camera with your thumb for one second.
    - slippery pencil is a controversial subject. It tries to recreate the feel of a graphite pencil, but the display is glass. I'm not sure I would like the kind of brush from wacom for example.
    "All I know for sure is that my device will be considered obsolete and all the interesting software will be unavailable on it. "
    you should have a few years before it became a real problem. No reason to believe photoshop, affinity and ambitious software like that will be unusable on your previous ipad pro.
    ios 13 shouldn't break compatibility. Of course I know nothing about the Future and Apple, but if past is an indication, you don't need to worry today or whole 2019.
    edited November 2018
  • Reply 34 of 34
    Am I the only one here that thinks $179 for the goddamn cover is absolute fucking insanity?     I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here!

Image result for zoolander crazy pills gif
    toomanynotesdysamoria