2018 iPad Pro: everything you need to know

Comments

• Reply 41 of 71
    dewme said:
    Stunning product updates, at least on paper. I love my current 12.9” iPad Pro but it is truly unwieldy to use in portrait orientation. The new design looks like it addresses this very nicely and bumps up performance and capacities significantly. The iPad Pro products are definitely in a class by themselves with nothing remotely in sight.

Microsoft is tethered to its legacy and seems incapable of covering the last mile to deliver a fully touch optimized user experience in a tablet form factor without a mouse dependency.

Who knows, maybe google will finally slough off the half baked Android tablet user experience to the Android ankle biter minions and do something real with Chrome on a tablet - and in three to five years has a critical mass of tablet optimized apps to make it a worthy alternative. Of course this assumes Apple immediately halts any further refinements and innovations for iPad. Unlikely. 
    Well said...I like how you think. :)
    edited October 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 71
    Someone apparently snuck a USB-C flashdrive in and yeah, apparently the only file types currently recognized are photos and videos, exactly like the camera connection kit.

C'mon, Apple, if you want me to take this seriously as a computer let me copy a Pages file onto a USB stick and have the files app be able to take it off.
    Apple knows what's best for you...
  • Reply 43 of 71

So, if you connect the new iPad Pro to a 4K or 5K monitor, will you get a fullscreen? I've seen shots of still images and video playing at full screen, but would the home screen and other apps be at fullscreen?
    Yep, I hear you on this. Similar to using AirPlay on my iPad to my TV I'd get two black bars on the sides. Which was disappointing. Not sure if that is still the same. :)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 71
    MisterKit said:
    Certainly looks like Adobe is on board full steam. Full Photoshop alone puts iPad Pro in a new league. iPad Pro looks to have enough power to run anything that a desktop can. The surprise would be if more and more high end software does not come over.
    Agreed. Didn't Apple say the iPad is now faster/more powerful than 92% of other laptops on the market? Quite a feat! :)

watto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 71
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    qwwera said:
    hammerd2 said:
    'As rumored, the 3.5mm headphone jack is gone. Users have to shell out for a pair of Bluetooth headphones -- like Apple's AirPods -- or buy a $9 audio adapter.'

Anyone have a link to where I can buy this $9 audio adapter ? 
    Amazon.com
    https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MU7E2AM/A/usb-c-to-35-mm-headphone-jack-adapter?fnode=85&fs=fh=3038%2B4891%2B45b0
    hammerd2
  • Reply 46 of 71
    MisterKit said:
    Certainly looks like Adobe is on board full steam. Full Photoshop alone puts iPad Pro in a new league. iPad Pro looks to have enough power to run anything that a desktop can. The surprise would be if more and more high end software does not come over.
    Agreed. Didn't Apple say the iPad is now faster/more powerful than 92% of other laptops on the market? Quite a feat! :)

A few days ago AI had an article going over performance benchmarks of the A12 iPhone processor and it was already giving a lot of laptops and desktops a run for their money. Yes, it is definitely a very impressive piece of technology.

I feel like Apple needs to put some work into iOS to catch up to the hardware capabilities of the iPad. I bought my 2017 iPad pro as a laptop replacement but found myself repeatedly going back to my old MacBook air because it was just too cumbersome to do things on the iPad. iOS 11 defiantly was a big step forward. If they just keep up the progress they will have a killer tablet.

GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 47 of 71
    does anyone know what the 3 dots on the back by the USB C port are for?
  • Reply 48 of 71
    jdb8167jdb8167 Posts: 626member
    MplsP said:
    does anyone know what the 3 dots on the back by the USB C port are for?
    Keyboard connection. I’m sure there will be portrait charging stands in the future too. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 49 of 71
    Nice upgrades, but a bummer that the Apple Pencils are not inter-workable between generations.  That seems a bit of a marketing move.
  • Reply 50 of 71
    Has Apple learned nothing from history? Counting on Adobe to deliver professional grade applications on the iPad Pro while not delivering a single pro Apple application of its own for the iPad Pro is pure insanity. Before Steve jobs came back Adobe delivered unoptimized applications and and focused most of their energy on Windows applications. That's obviously changed. But the lesson Apple supposedly learned from that was that they also had to invest in creating some of their own software in order to stay independent of companies like Microsoft and Apple and not being complacent and reliant. That lesson seems lost.

I own a second generation iPad Pro and am happy with the hardware but to me the entire Pro label is a joke. It's not an iPad Pro if Apple doesn't deliver it's own professional applications (or new applications) such as Final Cut, Logic, Motion, etc. Couldn't agree more with a previous poster who said that Apple announcements used to be about the great software released in tandem with the hardware ... that it was about something greater. At this point Apple is fighting a war on specs (faster, better, boring) and that makes them attackable and seem like they have no soul. That Apple magic is lost if it's just about faster hardware and whatever Adobe or Autocad does.
  • Reply 51 of 71
    Nice upgrades, but a bummer that the Apple Pencils are not inter-workable between generations.  That seems a bit of a marketing move.
    Apple Pencil is not a dumb stylus, it requires appropriately designed display to work with. The new Pencil is totally redesigned from scratch to support tap gestures and wireless charging. It is understandable that it may not work with previous generations. It has no Lightning, how would you charge it on previous iPad Pros? Besides, such a “marketing move” for $30 difference makes no sense.
    edited November 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 52 of 71
    mac_128 said:
    hammerd2 said:
    'As rumored, the 3.5mm headphone jack is gone. Users have to shell out for a pair of Bluetooth headphones -- like Apple's AirPods -- or buy a $9 audio adapter.'
    Anyone have a link to where I can buy this $9 audio adapter ? 

Did you check Apples website?
    Yes, I couldn't see a USB-C to lightning adapter anywhere. That's why I asked if anyone had a link. What type of adapter is this fabled $9 audio adapter - a cable, a dongle, BT, etc ? If it's $9 it sure as hell isn't coming from Apple !
  • Reply 53 of 71
    Mplsp - I stand corrected on the $9 Apple price !! 

Unfortunately that cable is USB-C to 3.5mm.

As Apple don't do 3.5mm headphones for phones any longer I had to go down the lightning connector headphone route and spent a pretty sum.  Without a USB-C to lightning adapter (for headphones, not for charging before someone else starts up) then lightning headphones can't be used with the new iPad Pro models. 
  • Reply 54 of 71
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,400member
    dewme said:
    Stunning product updates, at least on paper. I love my current 12.9” iPad Pro but it is truly unwieldy to use in portrait orientation. The new design looks like it addresses this very nicely and bumps up performance and capacities significantly. The iPad Pro products are definitely in a class by themselves with nothing remotely in sight.

Microsoft is tethered to its legacy and seems incapable of covering the last mile to deliver a fully touch optimized user experience in a tablet form factor without a mouse dependency.

Who knows, maybe google will finally slough off the half baked Android tablet user experience to the Android ankle biter minions and do something real with Chrome on a tablet - and in three to five years has a critical mass of tablet optimized apps to make it a worthy alternative. Of course this assumes Apple immediately halts any further refinements and innovations for iPad. Unlikely. 
    I have zero issue navigating the internet, doing handwritten notes, annotating PDF file, and watching social sites with the touch UI in my Surface device.  Even Apple had to copy some elements from MS, like the Pencil, side-by-side applications and two angles with the keyboard attach. The only negative I see vs an iPad is the lack of apps.  A part from that, the touch UI works very nice.  For MS, the mouse is an optional input device for tasks that touch is not the best option.  In an iPad, you have you replace your device for a PC to complete the tasks.
    edited November 2018
  • Reply 55 of 71
    Question I have a iPad 12.9 pro the second gen and I have a Smart Keyboard if I bought the new 12.9 pro would my old Smart Keyboard work with it?
  • Reply 56 of 71
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,141member
    I was excited to read that as well. A google search on other publications point out that Apple stated external storage would not work over the usb-c. I'm wondering if it would be the same thing with lightening where Apple means its not baked in but require a half-assed third party app. Apple keeps toting the iPad as a laptop replacement or as powerful as a regular computer yet allows such glaring issues to persist such as file access, storage, transfer, etc.
    Shane_H said:
    "This means users can connect an external 5K display, extra storage or even charge their iPhone with a USB-C to Lightning cable." Define extra storage? I cannot find anything about that on Apples Site. Looks like it can see the same external devices as before, Like cameras, keyboards and such. USB-C Hard drives and Flash drives are not mentioned.

Yeah, I would quite love it if they removed the restriction on external drives. 

It's so powerful now, it would be nice if you could edit videos off it, then move old projects directly to an external drive, rather than doing it over finicky wifi with a crappy third party app. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 57 of 71
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,100member
    Very nice. I’ll stick with my iPad air 2 for a few more years until it is no longer supporter by iOS. Still runs great.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 58 of 71
    tipoo said:
    I was excited to read that as well. A google search on other publications point out that Apple stated external storage would not work over the usb-c. I'm wondering if it would be the same thing with lightening where Apple means its not baked in but require a half-assed third party app. Apple keeps toting the iPad as a laptop replacement or as powerful as a regular computer yet allows such glaring issues to persist such as file access, storage, transfer, etc.
    Shane_H said:
    "This means users can connect an external 5K display, extra storage or even charge their iPhone with a USB-C to Lightning cable." Define extra storage? I cannot find anything about that on Apples Site. Looks like it can see the same external devices as before, Like cameras, keyboards and such. USB-C Hard drives and Flash drives are not mentioned.

Yeah, I would quite love it if they removed the restriction on external drives. 

It's so powerful now, it would be nice if you could edit videos off it, then move old projects directly to an external drive, rather than doing it over finicky wifi with a crappy third party app. 
    There is no restriction on external storage, managing the external storage is the job of the vendor, not of iOS. Don’t drive producers deliver their own USB drivers on desktop platforms? The same on iOS, at least you don’t deal with drivers, kernel extensions and alike. iOS offers more elegant document management than desktop platforms, and the external storage is not excluded from that architecture. This is not a “crappy third party app” like a hack or patch, this is a valid, legitimate software from the vendor. And if that vendor’s software is crappy you just don’t buy that storage, that’s it.

And as a last resort, if none of the external storage meets you needs, maybe because of crappy software, slow read/write, reliability and alike, you have your own computer. Is there any better “external storage” than your own computer? Just plug your iPad and launch iTunes on the Mac or PC, then copy your video masterpiece to your computer over USB.
    edited November 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 59 of 71
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    MplsP said:
    MisterKit said:

A few days ago AI had an article going over performance benchmarks of the A12 iPhone processor and it was already giving a lot of laptops and desktops a run for their money. Yes, it is definitely a very impressive piece of technology.

I feel like Apple needs to put some work into iOS to catch up to the hardware capabilities of the iPad. I bought my 2017 iPad pro as a laptop replacement but found myself repeatedly going back to my old MacBook air because it was just too cumbersome to do things on the iPad. iOS 11 defiantly was a big step forward. If they just keep up the progress they will have a killer tablet.

Yes, I have to wonder if Apple's promise to make it a laptop killer was ill advised.   Was it a mistake?   Was it a come on?   Or are they just being really slow about getting there....

This edition is just more of the same -- limited to tablet functionality.   Yes, its a great piece of equipment.   It does what it does supremely well.   But, it's limited.  And, I believe, limited unnecessarily.
  • Reply 60 of 71
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Apple Pencil is not a dumb stylus, it requires appropriately designed display to work with. The new Pencil is totally redesigned from scratch to support tap gestures and wireless charging. It is understandable that it may not work with previous generations. It has no Lightning, how would you charge it on previous iPad Pros? Besides, such a “marketing move” for $30 difference makes no sense.
    Do we know the new Pencil was redesigned from scratch, using completely different wireless protocols than he previous pencil? No one really expects the new Pencil to be backward compatible, but the old Pencil should be supported, unless a radical redesign in the way they work. Otherwise, there’s seemingly nothing preventing a USB-C to Lightning adapter to allow the old Pencil to pair, and charge from the new iPad Pro — except Apple intentionally preventing it. The new Pencil is a bit more of challenge, but again, a Lightning dongle that allows wireless pairing and charging seems possible, though perhaps impractical due to cost.

hammerd2 said:
    Mplsp - I stand corrected on the $9 Apple price !! 

Unfortunately that cable is USB-C to 3.5mm.

As Apple don't do 3.5mm headphones for phones any longer I had to go down the lightning connector headphone route and spent a pretty sum.  Without a USB-C to lightning adapter (for headphones, not for charging before someone else starts up) then lightning headphones can't be used with the new iPad Pro models. 
    You weren’t clear on what kind of adapter you wanted. But you are correct, there is no Lightning headphone to USB-C adapter and never has been. In fact there’s no Lighting headphone to anything adapter. Lightning headphones can only be used on Lightning devices, and nothing else, including Macs. If you want one set of wired headphones to use on your iPhone, Mac, and now iPad Pro, you will need to go back to a 3.5mm equipped set of headphones (using old 140 year old tech — thank you Phil!), and buy a 3.5mm to Lightning adapter for your iPhone, a 3.5mm to USB-C adapter for your iPad Pro, and carry around and keep track of both, when not using them with the other, or Macs and other non-Apple devices. I wonder if these USB-C to 3.5mm adapters are even fully compatible with the new MacBooks as well?
    edited November 2018