New iPad Pro benchmarks are very close to the 2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    jume said:
    400$ for a keyboard and a pencil ?? Apple still milking it's customer like it's a joke
    Are you looking at prices outside of the USA ?  Because $179.00 and $129.00 don’t equal $400.00
    netmageSpamSandwichchiawatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 53
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    So that means Logic, Final Cut and Xcode are coming to iPad?
    ...and Mathematica hopefully - one day...
    SpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 53
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    oneota said:
    I think the worst part for me would be losing BootCamp and VMware/Parallels - unless there's some sort of Intel-compatibility mode switch that the chips could flip.
    Good point about VMware/hypervisors. The last few generations of x86 chips have a good amount of virtualization stack in silicon. If ARM follows the same strategy the migration to to ARM would accelerate rapidly. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 53
    MacPro said:
    Logic Pro coming out for iOS would mean instant buy for me.  I already have the dongles for an MBP USB-C for all the audio gear, I'd assume even with the restrictive file transfer with iOS, thanks to USB-C files would be easily shared with other Macs on the LAN or WAN easily enough and offloaded to free up space.
    I wonder if an app like Pro Tools would ever come to iPad. Or Premier.
  • Reply 25 of 53
    Diegous98Diegous98 Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Usefulness > speed
    Android tablets = surface tablets > iPad with no multitasking

edited November 2018
  • Reply 26 of 53
    FatmanFatman Posts: 513member
    It's great that the A-series chips has caught up to the speed of Intel's hot/inefficient chips. When A14 is released two years from now, will Intel's chips still be relevant? But as we all know it's about the software. Very encouraging that Adobe is bringing Photoshop to iOS, but what about the rest of the creative suite? Will Microsoft offer a more robust office solution? Will Apple port their own apps to iOS? Will Apple make the same mistake of offering an 'emulation layer' (Motorola/PowerPC/Intel transitions) that will allow developers to drag their feet for years before they create native apps. Only time will tell.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 53
    jume said:
    400$ for a keyboard and a pencil ?? Apple still milking it's customer like it's a joke
    They are.

Bean counter vs the Product Guy.  I miss the Product Guy.  He recognised a 'fair price' vs a 'Greedy' price.

The original fall out over the Mac was about making it more affordable.

400$ for a keyboard.  (and a pencil.)  That tells you all you need to know.  The price increase for the iPad Pro and the Mac Mini were unnecessary. 

Pure greed...to keep shareholders, wall street and their new friends, Goldman Sachs, happy.

Lemon Bon Bon.

PS.  Steve left Apple debt free.  Well done, Tim on taking on £100 billion of debt.
  • Reply 28 of 53
    As for the iPad Pro.

Impressive machine.  Single core and multi-core.

I'd like one.  But I'm going to keep my wallet closed...as a response to the greedy price increases on the iPhone, iMac, iPad and Mac Mini.  All up by hundreds in the last few years.

But since it's £575 inc Vat price (yes, for the 12.5 inch model) in the UK, it's nearly doubled in price now.

The pencil went up by £45-50.

Just pure greed.  People's wages didn't go up by that inflation busting price increase.

1 trillion dollar company.  It's never enough for the corporation?  Apple have become just another corporation.  Remember the ad' for 1984?

'Huh.'

Lemon Bon Bon.
    bonobob
  • Reply 29 of 53
    netmagenetmage Posts: 314member
    For those complaining about iOS, this is about the transition of MacOS to ARM.
    For those wondering how Intel will be hurt, theyve already been hurt by ARM'S dominance of mobile and are being hurt by iPad's increasing share of low end computing.
    A Mac running Apple ARM with far greater performance than Intel (remember this is comparing a fanless low TDP Apple A-series to a laptop Intel - a laptop A series is probably already faster than Intel all the time) will start taking away the x64 high end and bring back designers, video and other high performance users to Apple. Intel won't have many niches left.
    MisterKitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 53
    thttht Posts: 5,444member
    tipoo said:
    Anyone sneak a GPU compute test in yet? The A10X was already impressive at 30K, pretty well matching Iris Plus 640, if they doubled that it's going to be an absolute beast. 

I just feel like the RAM, as usual, will be the limit before these insane processors are for future editing programs, 6GB for every model would have been nice, as evidently they don't think it hurts battery life to put it on the 1TB. But ah well, iOS does still feel great with 4GB. 

Insane as Apple silicon is though...This is just a mental barrier I can't cross for a tablet with iOS's limits no matter how powerful the silicon, still the clamshell life for me. Maybe 13 will continue to free up some restrictions, like allow direct external hard drive support. 
    From 9to5mac: https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/compute/3135166, there is Geekbench Compute score of 42038. There is surely more as I found 8 iPad8,8 CPU results.

Nice. Just search for iPad8,8 or iPad8,4 in the primatelabs Geekbench browser. It’s basically a 28 W Coffee Lake Core i5 or i7 with an Iris Plus GPU, sitting inside a 5 to 7 W TDP envelop. Intel still has a clear lead on AVX2 stuff. But strangely, the A12X has better memory performance resulting in it it catching up a little in multicore on the sub benches that it lost a lot in single core (versus a Core i7-8559U). Or, having small efficiency cores adds a better uplift than Hyperthreading for a few of the workloads. Who knows.

Anyways, the iPad Pros will generally outperform 15 W Intel processors or lower, which is used for basically all the thin, light, 2-in-1, foldables, detachables, ultrabooks in the market. Definitely agree with you on RAM being the biggest impediment for iPad Pros being able to do some of the workflows used on these devices. Was hoping that they’ll have a 8 GB RAM tier, but not yet. Maybe next year, they have an 8 GB tier or 8 GB, 16 GB RAM options for something something hundreds of dollars.

Apple just needs to update the software now, as has been the big issue since the beginning.
    edited November 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 53
    jcs2305 said:
    jume said:
    Are you looking at prices outside of the USA ?  Because $179.00 and $129.00 don’t equal $400.00
    It doesn't matter where you look at them.

The prices for the iPhone, iPad, Mac Mini, iMac are all up, greedily, not by £20 here or there...but hundreds...in the last few years.

I remember the Apple of 2001...who gave us kick ass design for a fair price.  A tower for a fair price.  Sure, weren't the cheapest, but we're not talking about a 10% premium now?

The Mac Mini nearly doubles in price and still can't give you 256 SSD or an i5 processor...or dedicated graphics like the original could.

They're run by a bean counter trying to keep Wall Street happy.  He aint a product guy.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 32 of 53
    MacPro said:
    I would not be surprised to see some Mac laptops with all Apple chips next year and seriously wonder if the new Mac Pro due hopefully in 2019 may be a hybrid with Intel for virtualization and Apple for all else, dual or quad Apple CPUs?  In that scenario, the Intel chips would become the equivalent of the Apple ][ language card we used in the 1970's and early 80's.  In fact, it could easily be done as a BTO option on high-end Macs.

Think of not only the performance but also the margin increase for Apple not buying Intel chips and the effect on AAPL.
    ^^^ This.

Yes for multiple A13X CPUs, combined iOS/macOS == mOS (Mobile O S) or somesuch, and an external Intel card for those who need/want it.

One big benefit is that Apple will be able to introduce Macs, iPads, etc. on Apple's schedule -- Not Intel's schedule!
    edited November 2018 SpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 53
    And Xcode... WWDC2019... about 8 months away...
    SpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 53
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,700member
    If they're not, the should.  We're at a point with the new iPad Pros and iOS that we should begin to see desktop-level applications come to the iPad Pro.
  • Reply 35 of 53
    Yamcha67Yamcha67 Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    If this is legit, then there're people at Intel pissing their pants right now... 
    When Apple decides they will make a processor for mac, intel and all others are doomed.
    Intel is far from doomed. You have to remember Apple will only ever create chipsets for the iPads, iPhones and potentially Macs. That means Intel will continue to be the leader in the market.

Not to mention Intel will hit back and it's still the leader in performance but Apple is getting there. I just don't think it'll have an impact on PCs at all. Yes, Apple may transition over to their own chips and that would be a loss for Intel and the money they make with the partnership but Apple wouldn't begin to sell processors to the masses... They've always been closed, it would be odd to start now.
    edited November 2018
  • Reply 36 of 53
    As for pro apps, they briefly demo'd a full bore Autocad, doesn't get much more pro than that (well, Photoshop too).  The transition will be slow but it will happen, I would guess the biggest inhibitor being OS and not hardware.  I also think Apple will appease Intel by going full Intel modems on all iPhone/iPad, which is a significant piece of marketshare, unlike desktop processors.  It will be interesting to see if they go A-line w/ Intel or are working behind the scenes for ARM-based windows optimization.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 53
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    MacPro said:
    Logic Pro coming out for iOS would mean instant buy for me.  I already have the dongles for an MBP USB-C for all the audio gear, I'd assume even with the restrictive file transfer with iOS, thanks to USB-C files would be easily shared with other Macs on the LAN or WAN easily enough and offloaded to free up space.
    I wonder if an app like Pro Tools would ever come to iPad. Or Premier.
    I suspect they will.  This thing is a beast.  File transfer with iOS is obviously different but app developers can deal with that.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 53
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    MacPro said:
    I would not be surprised to see some Mac laptops with all Apple chips next year and seriously wonder if the new Mac Pro due hopefully in 2019 may be a hybrid with Intel for virtualization and Apple for all else, dual or quad Apple CPUs?  In that scenario, the Intel chips would become the equivalent of the Apple ][ language card we used in the 1970's and early 80's.  In fact, it could easily be done as a BTO option on high-end Macs.

Think of not only the performance but also the margin increase for Apple not buying Intel chips and the effect on AAPL.
    ^^^ This.

Yes for multiple A13X CPUs, combined iOS/macOS == mOS (Mobile O S) or somesuch, and an external Intel card for those who need/want it.

One big benefit is that Apple will be able to introduce Macs, iPads, etc. on Apple's schedule -- Not Intel's schedule!
    Excellent point.  The optional language card doesn't need to be the very latest Intel hardware and can always be upgraded.  In fact, if they make the card with a 'pull out-able' chip you could buy a new Intel CPU and upgrade the card yourself.

p.s. I wondered about 13 being used ... superstition and all that ... maybe they start over with AX 1Z Bionic or similar lol.
  • Reply 39 of 53
    Yamcha67 said:
    If this is legit, then there're people at Intel pissing their pants right now... 
    When Apple decides they will make a processor for mac, intel and all others are doomed.
    Intel is far from doomed. You have to remember Apple will only ever create chipsets for the iPads, iPhones and potentially Macs. That means Intel will continue to be the leader in the market.

Not to mention Intel will hit back and it's still the leader in performance but Apple is getting there. I just don't think it'll have an impact on PCs at all. Yes, Apple may transition over to their own chips and that would be a loss for Intel and the money they make with the partnership but Apple wouldn't begin to sell processors to the masses... They've always been closed, it would be odd to start now.
    Not so sure about intel still leading performance when the constraints are so different between a tablet chip and a laptop/desktop chip. What might these chips be able to do if designed for a laptop/desktop power supply?
    MisterKitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 53
    tipoo said:
    Anyone sneak a GPU compute test in yet? The A10X was already impressive at 30K, pretty well matching Iris Plus 640, if they doubled that it's going to be an absolute beast. 

I just feel like the RAM, as usual, will be the limit before these insane processors are for future editing programs, 6GB for every model would have been nice, as evidently they don't think it hurts battery life to put it on the 1TB. But ah well, iOS does still feel great with 4GB. 

Insane as Apple silicon is though...This is just a mental barrier I can't cross for a tablet with iOS's limits no matter how powerful the silicon, still the clamshell life for me. Maybe 13 will continue to free up some restrictions, like allow direct external hard drive support. 
    No automatic alt text available
    I'm with you, almost $2Gs to package a tablet to replace a laptop is crazy...and after my first smart keyboard rendered obsolete after an iOS update, I'd be even more gun shy. I mean, Apple did right by me by acknowledging the issue was on their end and gave me a new one but that was after jumping through some hoops. There were a lot of people who ended up having to buy new ones because they either didn't know there were hoops or decided not to jump through them.