New iPad Pro benchmarks are very close to the 2018 15-inch MacBook Pro

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 53
    Didn’t Apple confirm at the keynote that like 20% of PC sales.(100 million vs 400 million). Sure it’s not a majority of Intel sales, but if Apple switches that’s at least 1/5th and probably closer to 1/3 when you account not all PCs aren’t Intel in the first place, I think they will care.
  • Reply 42 of 53
    MacPro said:
    MacPro said:
    I would not be surprised to see some Mac laptops with all Apple chips next year and seriously wonder if the new Mac Pro due hopefully in 2019 may be a hybrid with Intel for virtualization and Apple for all else, dual or quad Apple CPUs?  In that scenario, the Intel chips would become the equivalent of the Apple ][ language card we used in the 1970's and early 80's.  In fact, it could easily be done as a BTO option on high-end Macs.

Think of not only the performance but also the margin increase for Apple not buying Intel chips and the effect on AAPL.
    ^^^ This.

Yes for multiple A13X CPUs, combined iOS/macOS == mOS (Mobile O S) or somesuch, and an external Intel card for those who need/want it.

One big benefit is that Apple will be able to introduce Macs, iPads, etc. on Apple's schedule -- Not Intel's schedule!
    Excellent point.  The optional language card doesn't need to be the very latest Intel hardware and can always be upgraded.  In fact, if they make the card with a 'pull out-able' chip you could buy a new Intel CPU and upgrade the card yourself.

p.s. I wondered about 13 being used ... superstition and all that ... maybe they start over with AX 1Z Bionic or similar lol.

Mmm...

https://sottyreview.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/lucky-and-unlucky-numbers.png
  • Reply 43 of 53
    Yamcha67 said:
    If this is legit, then there're people at Intel pissing their pants right now... 
    When Apple decides they will make a processor for mac, intel and all others are doomed.
    Intel is far from doomed. You have to remember Apple will only ever create chipsets for the iPads, iPhones and potentially Macs. That means Intel will continue to be the leader in the market.

Not to mention Intel will hit back and it's still the leader in performance but Apple is getting there. I just don't think it'll have an impact on PCs at all. Yes, Apple may transition over to their own chips and that would be a loss for Intel and the money they make with the partnership but Apple wouldn't begin to sell processors to the masses... They've always been closed, it would be odd to start now.
    Not so sure about intel still leading performance when the constraints are so different between a tablet chip and a laptop/desktop chip. What might these chips be able to do if designed for a laptop/desktop power supply?
    I'm impressed with the benchmarks but skeptical about real-world performance in a true desktop/laptop Mac OS environment.  Not saying that the results are misleading, but that they currently exist within the confines of the more bare bones iPad environment without the overhead of a workstation platform.  Would an A-Series chip have to compromise on some of its efficiencies if adapted for a laptop/desktop operating system?

Truly curious of what Apple engineers are doing/have done differently to so quickly ramp up performance within the thermal limited environment of a tiny, fan-less, and enclosed chassis of the iPad and IPhone.  At surface level, it almost seems unbelievable.  Perhaps a great idea for a future in-depth article to ascertain what is going on?
    MisterKitrogifan_newwatto_cobramacike
  • Reply 44 of 53
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    If this is legit, then there're people at Intel pissing their pants right now... 
    When Apple decides they will make a processor for mac, intel and all others are doomed.

Apple's chips will be damn fast, and given they can optimise the processors for running their operating systems then I'm pretty sure that even if the chips aren't as fast on paper, they will smoke any other processor when running Apple-native apps.

But what Apple won't do is sell these chips to anyone else, which means the other 90% of the market will continue to buy Intel chips.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 53
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    netmage said:
    For those complaining about iOS, this is about the transition of MacOS to ARM.
    For those wondering how Intel will be hurt, theyve already been hurt by ARM'S dominance of mobile and are being hurt by iPad's increasing share of low end computing.
    A Mac running Apple ARM with far greater performance than Intel (remember this is comparing a fanless low TDP Apple A-series to a laptop Intel - a laptop A series is probably already faster than Intel all the time) will start taking away the x64 high end and bring back designers, video and other high performance users to Apple. Intel won't have many niches left.
    As someone who thinks Intel is pants, I have to disagree.

As great as MacOS is, the majority will always favour knockdown prices over quality, or, and I know this may be hard to believe, may just have a preference for Windows. This alone will make keep Intel swimming in cash as it aims for the dizzy heights of technological mediocrity.

Unless Windows make a massive future commitment to ARM, then Intel is quite safe.
  • Reply 46 of 53
    BxBorn said: I'm with you, almost $2Gs to package a tablet to replace a laptop is crazy..
    Well... please point me to the Mac laptop that allows direct manipulation of data with pencil support.

I also suspect that it's a mix of apples and oranges. Artists probably want the iPad with pencil and could do fine w/o the keyboard. People who want the keyboard for typing and "laptop" replacement don't necessarily need the pencil. Musicians, people editing film clips, and so on probably want the power but don't really need either.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 47 of 53
    Apple without native Windows would lose its foothold in the corporate marketplace. Now it sells by tens of thousands to corporations, but then?

A bare WinARM is not enough. All of those itty bitty utilites, drivers, in-house applications, you name it... must be transferred to Windows on ARM.

Consider at least ten years for the establishment of a viable MacARM platform given these prerequisites.
    edited November 2018 dewme
  • Reply 48 of 53
    Rayz2016 said:
    netmage said:
    For those complaining about iOS, this is about the transition of MacOS to ARM.
    For those wondering how Intel will be hurt, theyve already been hurt by ARM'S dominance of mobile and are being hurt by iPad's increasing share of low end computing.
    A Mac running Apple ARM with far greater performance than Intel (remember this is comparing a fanless low TDP Apple A-series to a laptop Intel - a laptop A series is probably already faster than Intel all the time) will start taking away the x64 high end and bring back designers, video and other high performance users to Apple. Intel won't have many niches left.
    As someone who thinks Intel is pants, I have to disagree.

As great as MacOS is, the majority will always favour knockdown prices over quality, or, and I know this may be hard to believe, may just have a preference for Windows. This alone will make keep Intel swimming in cash as it aims for the dizzy heights of technological mediocrity.

Unless Windows make a massive future commitment to ARM, then Intel is quite safe.
    Intel is quite safe on the Apple side too. As the new i5-8210Y shows, Intel almost always fulfills Apple’s requests and Apple wouldn’t leave Intel go away. Thunderbolt is their common achievement. Then there are patent issues, that may make the no-Intel situation worse than with-Intel...

So, enough of urban legends...
    edited November 2018
  • Reply 49 of 53
    MacPro said:
    MacPro said:
    So that means Logic, Final Cut and Xcode are coming to iPad?
    Logic Pro coming out for iOS would mean instant buy for me.  I already have the dongles for an MBP USB-C for all the audio gear, I'd assume even with the restrictive file transfer with iOS, thanks to USB-C files would be easily shared with other Macs on the LAN or WAN easily enough and offloaded to free up space.
    I wonder if an app like Pro Tools would ever come to iPad. Or Premier.
    I suspect they will.  This thing is a beast.  File transfer with iOS is obviously different but app developers can deal with that.
    Apple should allow external drives to show up in the files app.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 50 of 53
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,361member
    MacPro said:
    MacPro said:
    Logic Pro coming out for iOS would mean instant buy for me.  I already have the dongles for an MBP USB-C for all the audio gear, I'd assume even with the restrictive file transfer with iOS, thanks to USB-C files would be easily shared with other Macs on the LAN or WAN easily enough and offloaded to free up space.
    I suspect they will.  This thing is a beast.  File transfer with iOS is obviously different but app developers can deal with that.
    This would be a very straightforward software enhancement to Files. The iDUO Drive app for supporting Lightning-USB jump drives already provides network drive mapping in addition to support for the directly connected storage device. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 51 of 53
    Pretty impressive, especially since the iPad is passively cooled and must have a way lower wattage than the 45W Intel chip in the 15" MacBook Pro. That should enable tapered Air-like designs with Pro level performance within a few years. With the "Marzipan" project bringing iOS apps to Mac, and with apps like Photoshop going to the iPad, it seems like only a matter of time before developers will need to recompile all their Mac apps for ARM-based laptops. Or will we see the return of Rosetta to smooth out the transition? Exciting times!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 52 of 53
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    dewme said:
    MacPro said:
    MacPro said:
    This would be a very straightforward software enhancement to Files. The iDUO Drive app for supporting Lightning-USB jump drives already provides network drive mapping in addition to support for the directly connected storage device. 
    I could well be wrong but I suspect DRM may be involved here.
    williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 53 of 53
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    hmlongco said:
    BxBorn said: I'm with you, almost $2Gs to package a tablet to replace a laptop is crazy..
    Well... please point me to the Mac laptop that allows direct manipulation of data with pencil support.

I also suspect that it's a mix of apples and oranges. Artists probably want the iPad with pencil and could do fine w/o the keyboard. People who want the keyboard for typing and "laptop" replacement don't necessarily need the pencil. Musicians, people editing film clips, and so on probably want the power but don't really need either.
    I would love if the next MBP allowed the Pencil to work on the trackpad. 
    watto_cobra