Apple, Samsung beaten to foldable phone by clunky Royole FlexPai

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,273member
    Props to Slurpy for hitting the entire checklist of troll content. Well done.
    lolliverRayz2016klock379magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 44
    slurpy said:
    Apple out-innovated YET AGAIN!11 Tim Cook, what are you doing??! How will you compete with this??!! I've been an Apple veteran Since the Apple ][, have owned every single Apple product ever made, and clearly this is yet more evidence of Apple losing it's way and continuing on it's downward spiral.
    I’m sorry, what are you even talking about? If you have been buying apple forever you know that apple is consistently beaten to the market on technology. If you wanna just go back 1 year let’s talk about Face ID. Samsung has been scanning faces for 3 (or 4?) years now to Apples 1 year, but Samsung’s is woerthless for security. Apple’s solution actually works and is secure and was “late” to the market. Quite frankly for all you or I know, Steve Jobs could be buried with an iPhone from Jonny’s lab that folds and was out in 2001 before anyone thought of a smartphone, let alone alone with a folding screen. This phone even existing signifies nothing other than it shows that you can fold a screen. It also says nothing about it usability, longevity or actual purpose for exsisting.

At 5,000 posts, I don’t think your post was a troll job. Was it supposed to be sarcastic? I really can’t understand given many many examples from the last 10 years how Apple has ever been first. Touch screen? Not first but showed everybody how to do it. Touch ID? Not first, most secure implementation. Oled? Not even close to first, but the best oled screen when they finally got it out. There are more, but you get the idea.
    badmonkwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 44
    M68000M68000 Posts: 719member
    Well, when It breaks it could be a conversation piece as a money clip?    Not getting why some company wants to make something like this or who would want to buy such a thing. I look at some people who have "folio" cases on their phones which open like a book or unfold and have to wonder if that is annoying to use, seems like it would be.  this idea reminds me of those cases.
    dysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 44
    There's some guy on Youtube who is always going bat-sh!t-crazy about Samsung being the first to have some foldable smartphone and I really don't understand what's so great about having one. At this point in time, they're really some quite impractical and unnecessarily bulky. I certainly have no interest in owning some floppy smartphone. I honestly like the traditional slab and don't see any practical reason for a smartphone that folds and becomes wider than a slim smartphone. A folding smartphone might have some use if when it snapped open it would be almost solid like a slab but I don't want any smartphone that's like a limp magazine when it's open. I'm sure the folding technology is going to be expensive, so I wouldn't want to own the earliest models. I guess it's great for being the first one on your block to have one, but other than that, I'll pass. I honestly like having a big slab of a smartphone even if folding ones were available.
    dysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 44
    slurpy said:
    Apple out-innovated YET AGAIN!11 Tim Cook, what are you doing??! How will you compete with this??!! I've been an Apple veteran Since the Apple ][, have owned every single Apple product ever made, and clearly this is yet more evidence of Apple losing it's way and continuing on it's downward spiral.
    Yeah, I'm sure Royole is going to put Apple out of business with its folding smartphone... NOT! There's good innovation and bad innovation. Let's see exactly how great this foldable smartphone sells and how well it functions over the long-term. Just because it folds, it doesn't make it into being a good smartphone.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 44
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    pbrutto said:
    slurpy said:
    I’m sorry, what are you even talking about? If you have been buying apple forever you know that apple is consistently beaten to the market on technology. If you wanna just go back 1 year let’s talk about Face ID. Samsung has been scanning faces for 3 (or 4?) years now to Apples 1 year, but Samsung’s is woerthless for security. Apple’s solution actually works and is secure and was “late” to the market. Quite frankly for all you or I know, Steve Jobs could be buried with an iPhone from Jonny’s lab that folds and was out in 2001 before anyone thought of a smartphone, let alone alone with a folding screen. This phone even existing signifies nothing other than it shows that you can fold a screen. It also says nothing about it usability, longevity or actual purpose for exsisting.

At 5,000 posts, I don’t think your post was a troll job. Was it supposed to be sarcastic? I really can’t understand given many many examples from the last 10 years how Apple has ever been first. Touch screen? Not first but showed everybody how to do it. Touch ID? Not first, most secure implementation. Oled? Not even close to first, but the best oled screen when they finally got it out. There are more, but you get the idea.
    At what number of posts are you able to figure out sarcasm?  Op is having some fun with the silly troll nonsense that flows through here all the time.  B)
    lolliverdysamoriamuthuk_vanalingammagman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 44
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    It's a good proof of concept but possibly not a good product.
  • Reply 28 of 44
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    ascii said:
    It's a good proof of concept but possibly not a good product.
    Yeah, Looking at the pics, I'm sure Apple was happy to be 'beaten' by that phone!  I'll take an Xs or Xr any day. (and not just because I wouldn't have to run Android)

So what happens the first time someone puts that in their back pocket and sits on it?
    dysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 44
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    “Beaten” is a curious word to use. 
    Because there is no evidence that Apple is planning to release a phone with a folding screen, even though they’ve had flexible OLED technology in their devices for quite some time. 

edited November 2018 dysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 44
    Wow. It folds! ZOMGZ!

Um... why does it fold? 

How does that impact the life of the screen?

how does it handle unintended screen touches, since you can’t help but touch the screen even when you don’t want to...

does this actially provide a better better experience than a solid phone? 

LOL. I think we know the answers to each question. It’s not rocket science. 

Its cool that a screen screen can fold. It really is. But this isn’t a use case. Better to do digital ads on cylindrical columns, smart screen on convex or concave objects, etc. 

the Samsung galaxy edge has already proven that bendy screen parts are useless in a phone. 

edited November 2018 asciidysamoriamagman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 44
    I have seem the advantage of using dual screen or foldable devices in the new series of Westworld.
    seems fine to me!😉
  • Reply 32 of 44
    I wasn’t going to comment on this supposed new entry to the market, but just thinking about how one is supposed to grip the phone (while folded) highlights how ridiculous this design is.  The oils and dirt from a hand gripping the folded screen edge  which becomes the center portion (that is, focal point) for the devices display when unfolded, not to mention inevitable damage by jewelry on fingers...this concept is a disaster!
    magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 44
    But is it any good?
    How many open/closes will it be guaranteed for (before the material in the flexible bit work hardens)?

We shall have to wait and see.
    Quality, durability don’t matter. What matters is it beat Apple because...

1. Clicks are needed so an Apple reference, comparison must be made to get the money flowing. 

2. Apple has been linked to LG via rumors for designing, developing a foldable display so if there is smoke created from the crack of somebody’s a** then there must be fire. 

2. Apple has patents for foldable displays so it must be working on the technology to make it happen even though caution dictates Apple patents a lot of technology that never materializes. 

3. Even though Apple has never announced anything about a foldable display, it is okay to imply Apple might announce a foldable display sometime in the next to never future. 

Happy Friday. 🤡

dysamoriaRayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 44
    The value of flexible screens shouldn't be in how they can fold up, but how durable they can be when dropped.  I don't want a phone that can fold up, I already don't carry a wallet because it's too bulky.  But if a screen can be flexible enough that it can handle a drop and be used without a case then sign me up!
  • Reply 35 of 44
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,544member
    slurpy said:
    LOL. 

They have also been out-innovated by Yamaha in the digital workstation market, by Ikea in the desktop market, and by Rügenwalder in the vegan sausage market. 

For somebody else’s innovation to have relevance, it does need to be something A company would actually have to want to build. 

It’s like the “wildly innovative” Samsung curved display edges, that they desperately tried to make up a functionality for, but that is ultimately just a pointless but pretty design detail. 

Yeah, Apple was totally out-innovated there. Wr all remember how sales collapsed, and Apple sold off their iPhone business to Chinese investors. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 44
    But is it any good?
    How many open/closes will it be guaranteed for (before the material in the flexible bit work hardens)?

We shall have to wait and see.
    Of course, it is good. It has (in the folded state) the whole edge that, when being dinged/damaged automagically destroys the center of the screen! 👹
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 44
    Apple doesn't do first. Apple does the best and I'm sure they don't care.

Rayz2016watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 44
    The phone’s site shows a disclaimer at the bottom that reads “The images above are for reference only. The actual product may differ in terms of (not only) appearance and color.”

If it’s shipping soon, how come they don’t have pictures of an 
    actual phone yet?
    edited November 2018 dysamoriamagman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 44
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    This is like saying someone beat me to the pile of dog crap they just ate. No really, I’m happy you “got there first”. 
    magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 44
    pbrutto said:
    slurpy said:

He was being sarcastic :)
    watto_cobra