2018 iPad Pro: everything you need to know

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 71
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    kevin kee said:
    melgross said:
    Can’t wait until ours get here. Only really annoying thing right now is that unlike past models, there aren’t any cases for this model yet. Apple has a sleeve, and covers, as well as they keyboard cover, but nothing that slips on the back to protect it when you put it down. Checked Amazon, and nothing there either. This has never happened before. I guess the knowledge of what the form would be was too late this year. I was hoping to have a case by the time it arrives on the 7th. Oh well, i’ll Just have to keep checking every day.
    The new folio protects both front and back.
    Are you sure bout that? Because when I asked the guys in the store, they said no.
  • Reply 62 of 71

So, if you connect the new iPad Pro to a 4K or 5K monitor, will you get a fullscreen? I've seen shots of still images and video playing at full screen, but would the home screen and other apps be at fullscreen?
    Yep, I hear you on this. Similar to using AirPlay on my iPad to my TV I'd get two black bars on the sides. Which was disappointing. Not sure if that is still the same. :)
    It depends on the format. Logically, there is no way to display a 4:3 image on a 16:9 screen without distorting the image if you’re going to have it full screen. The edges must have blank spaces. It’s like HD Tv, when you’re looking at old Tv, you have blank edges, unless you stretch it. Then everything gets wider. But sometimes they stretch the edges more in the center so that faces in the center look more natural. But then the edges are stretched even more.

so that’s the way it is. But if you’re watching a modern video on your iPad, and plug it into a modern 16:9 monitor, it will be full screen. Apps will format to the monitor, I would imagine, justbas they do with different format apple devices. Possibly, Apple will give the choice of filling the screen or not.
    edited November 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 63 of 71
    Kyle_Craft_COKyle_Craft_CO Posts: 5unconfirmed, member
    When you guys had your hands on it ... any chance you tested tethering via a cable?  Frankly performance when I tether my iPhone to my MBP via a USB-C to Lightning cable is great.  But tethering to my iPad via WiFi / Bluetooth stinks.  I'm hoping with the new USB-C iPad I'll be able to tether via a cable.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 64 of 71
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member

melgross said:
    kevin kee said:
    melgross said:
    Can’t wait until ours get here. Only really annoying thing right now is that unlike past models, there aren’t any cases for this model yet. Apple has a sleeve, and covers, as well as they keyboard cover, but nothing that slips on the back to protect it when you put it down. Checked Amazon, and nothing there either. This has never happened before. I guess the knowledge of what the form would be was too late this year. I was hoping to have a case by the time it arrives on the 7th. Oh well, i’ll Just have to keep checking every day.
    Are you sure bout that? Because when I asked the guys in the store, they said no.

From the image gallery for the new folios, it does appear that they protect front and back:

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MRXE2ZM/A/smart-folio-for-129-inch-ipad-pro-3rd-generation-white?fnode=9a&fs=f%3Dipadpro_12_9_3%26fh%3D4583%252B4a97

edited November 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 65 of 71
    bancho said:

melgross said:
    kevin kee said:
    melgross said:

From the image gallery for the new folios, it does appear that they protect front and back:

https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MRXE2ZM/A/smart-folio-for-129-inch-ipad-pro-3rd-generation-white?fnode=9a&fs=f%3Dipadpro_12_9_3%26fh%3D4583%252B4a97

It only shows the front image, from what I can see. It does say “now protects the front as well as the back”. But I still don’t know what that means. It could simply mean that the cover flips around better. It still doesn’t seem to be an actual case for the rear.
  • Reply 66 of 71
    melgross said:
    bancho said:

melgross said:
    kevin kee said:
    melgross said:

It only shows the front image, from what I can see. It does say “now protects the front as well as the back”. But I still don’t know what that means. It could simply mean that the cover flips around better. It still doesn’t seem to be an actual case for the rear.
    That's odd. In the gallery for that item on Apple's site, there's multiple images and you can definitely see  the back fully covered. Here's a pic for the 11" version. I believe Apple's using multiple magnets to secure the back of the cover to the iPad (While it's not explicitly stated on the store, I do recall seeing something to that effect in one of the articles).

Inline - 2

• Reply 67 of 71
    bancho said:
    melgross said:
    bancho said:

melgross said:
    kevin kee said:
    melgross said:

That's odd. In the gallery for that item on Apple's site, there's multiple images and you can definitely see  the back fully covered. Here's a pic for the 11" version. I believe Apple's using multiple magnets to secure the back of the cover to the iPad (While it's not explicitly stated on the store, I do recall seeing something to that effect in one of the articles).

Inline - 2

That looks interesting, but I haven’t seen the same for the 12.9. Additionally, that doesn’t look like it’s great. Personally, I don’t trust that. I want something that will wrap around the sides. I don’t need a cover on the front either. I used to get them, and buy a case for the iPad itself. But I stopped buying the front part. I carry mine in an over the shoulder Macbook carrying case, which fits it perfectly, and is thin,  it also has front and rear pockets. So I don’t need front protection, but do want it for the rear. I don’t trust this if I prop the iPad up on something.

I just found the one for the 12.9. It’s one piece, so you can’t use the back by itself. So this is going to have very limited appeal. Normally, you can buy clear cases for $19.95 on Amazon which are perfectly good.
    edited November 2018
  • Reply 68 of 71
    hammerd2 said:
    'As rumored, the 3.5mm headphone jack is gone. Users have to shell out for a pair of Bluetooth headphones -- like Apple's AirPods -- or buy a $9 audio adapter.'

Anyone have a link to where I can buy this $9 audio adapter ? 
    Bluetooth headphones are not necessarily that expensive (here's a clue: don't buy BEATS) - plus it's beyond me why anyone would risk physically attaching a set of cans to an expensive device like this and risk walking off dragging the ipad in tow.
  • Reply 69 of 71
    melgross said:
    bancho said:
    melgross said:
    bancho said:

melgross said:
    kevin kee said:
    melgross said:

Inline - 2

That looks interesting, but I haven’t seen the same for the 12.9. Additionally, that doesn’t look like it’s great. Personally, I don’t trust that. I want something that will wrap around the sides. I don’t need a cover on the front either. I used to get them, and buy a case for the iPad itself. But I stopped buying the front part. I carry mine in an over the shoulder Macbook carrying case, which fits it perfectly, and is thin,  it also has front and rear pockets. So I don’t need front protection, but do want it for the rear. I don’t trust this if I prop the iPad up on something.

I just found the one for the 12.9. It’s one piece, so you can’t use the back by itself. So this is going to have very limited appeal. Normally, you can buy clear cases for $19.95 on Amazon which are perfectly good.
    That's fair. It suits my particular use case since I already have a separate bluetooth keyboard I like using.

I imagine we should be seeing a variety of cases that protect the back specifically (in a variety of materials) pretty soon.
  • Reply 70 of 71
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    zoetmb said:
    hentaiboy said:
    My prediction for March, 2019:

New iPad
    10.5” Retina display
    TrueDepth with FaceID
    A12 Bionic
    Pencil 2 support
    Price = $499

You saw it here first. 
    You mean April 1, 2019 since that's a joke and will never happen.   Apple has been consistently raising prices on new models of everything across the board - what makes you think they're going to have a 10.5" display for $499?   And if my numbers are right, Apple actually raised the price of some of the 10.5" iPad Pro configurations some time back. 
    I was referring to the iPad, not iPad Pro. Current iPad price is $329 remember.
  • Reply 71 of 71
    bancho said:
    melgross said:
    bancho said:
    melgross said:
    bancho said:

melgross said:
    kevin kee said:
    melgross said:

Inline - 2

That's fair. It suits my particular use case since I already have a separate bluetooth keyboard I like using.

I imagine we should be seeing a variety of cases that protect the back specifically (in a variety of materials) pretty soon.
    I expect so. I’m just surprised they aren’t out already. I’m used to buying a case before my iPad comes in, which is due tomorrow. So this is annoying.