Comparing photography: iPhone XS Max versus Google Pixel 3 XL

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 45
    meh13 said:
    This article and the comments that follow remind me of a hillarious SNL skit "The Champ" with Jonah Hill.  The iPhone xs being Jonah Hill when he exits the car with all the well wishing friends (this article and commenters) telling him he is the best, that he saved the day, the man!   But then of course Jonah Hill's character goes inside where the local news is telling a feel good story about the other team throwing the match, about all the high school kids playing along to give the town loser a great day, making him feel like a winner if for only just a little while.  

So, this is literally the only review I've seen that gives apple the win over the pixel 3.  Of course the entire rest of the internet are paid shills for Google.  The iPhone and the Pixel 3 are two very different takes on smartphone experience.  One being better at some things doesn't make the other a loser that is not worthy of purchase.  It just means some people value different things.  Not sure why so many iPhone owners are so threatened by Pixel phones.  The iPhones still do some things very well, or even better than the Pixel, just not the things I care about.  But that doesn't mean the iphone wasn't the right purchase for you.
    Actually, if you look at media and Youtubers (see links above in my post), then it is not that great for Pixel.

For pictures, a toss up...some like Xs camera for the shadow details...some like Pixel 3 high contrast.  If you add in Night Sight, then yeah Pixel 3 may have edge......if Night Sight is used often enough.

For video, there is no question which is better...by a fairly wide margin.  Xs video capability is far better than P3 in basically every aspect.

So, yeah, i think that THIS year, iPhone overall camera capability has surpass Pixel 3.
    tmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 45
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    Google Pixel has an edge because of Night Sight? Well, that's only the case if we are comparing the AI tech for night shot, but for majority of users in real life usage, is this something that's important enough to be used frequently? Most people would take photos in a well lit area or under a light source such as sun or light, which is why iPhone XS has a better edge IMHO.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 45
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    Thanks for the video.   If you listen to other YouTube reviewers they always say the Pixel is better (and then 6 months later are complaining about problems with the phone).

I would really be interested in seeing a comparison between the iPhoneXSMax camera and video to the same on the iPhone 7Plus and iPhone 6Plus.   (Likewise the single camera XR compared to iPhone 7 and iPhone 6Plus).    There really are not many switchers between the iOS and Android platforms now.    The real question is when is there enough of a difference between your current phone to make it really worth it to upgrade.   I like waiting at least 3 years because the improvements then seem worth it.  The incremental changes from one year to the next really aren't compelling.