iPhone XR demand reportedly forcing Apple to cut production expansion plans

Comments

• Reply 21 of 71
    While I don’t consider myself a fanboy, I do appreciate Apple quality.  While I have a 12.9 iPad Pro on the way, I just can’t find a reason to upgrade my 7Plus.  I was interested in the XR until I saw I would lose camera quality over my 7+.  I think if they would put the same camera that’s at “least” in the 7+, if not one of the newer models, XR would draw more interest (not saying it’s not, but based on the amount of recent Apple commercials I’m seeing for it, seems it’s not).  

Wife and I both have 7+, she has 2017 10.5 iPad Pro, I’m replacing 2015 iPAD Pro with 2018 arriving Wednesday.  Both are wearing Watch 3.  5 HomePods and uncountable iPods laying around in drawers going back to first edition.  IPhone owner since first release (and it still plays music for me!).  So I’m not bashing Apple.  I just think they didn't hit the right marketing spot with the XR. In my opinion, it needs to be about $100 less across all storages and it needs a better camera.
    avon b7muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 22 of 71
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    We don't know if such news is fake or partial picture of what exactly going on. Like previous time, this will affect Apple stock to go lower. You buy. This is how you make money.
    edited November 2018
  • Reply 23 of 71
    Every potential Apple investor should be cheering this on if they think it is inaccurate.  Analyst reports affect the stock price in the short-term.  Long-term prices depend much more on actual results as reported by Apple.  If investors think actual results are going to be better than the analyst reports say then they should be confident the stock price will eventually reflect the official numbers.  Buy and hold and be rewarded.
  • Reply 24 of 71
    confirms what Apple said in their guidance during the earnings report, so I don't think a total earth-shattering surprise. However Apple clearly does need release other products that rival the iPhone in their popularity and cost to keep the company momentum going.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 25 of 71
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,111member
    designr said:
    lewchenko said:
    There could still be truth to it. 

$750 is still expensive. Flagship prices only 2 years ago for the mid range phone option if you consider the XS and XS Max the flagships now. 

Broadly speaking , Apple might be finding that less people than expected are willing to shell out top money when cheaper options are available (iPhone 8)

The XR’s biggest problem is its size. I know people who have said they no longer have an upgrade path from either a 6/6S/7 etc as they don’t want a bigger phone and the XS is too expensive. The 8 is the only option for them and it’s not much of an upgrade. My wife is one of them. She would (and is) buying nothing instead which is a lost sale for Apple as she really wanted to upgrade. 
    Agreed. I predict a smaller (6/7/8-sized) and cheaper (maybe $650) Xr variant next year. But I think that was planned all along anyway. They just wanted to see if they could sell the larger $750 version first.
    My guess is an SE-sized phone with updated internals and Face ID, sometime around March, to boost sales in the post-holiday lull. It would have lower margins than the existing line-up, but the pricing on some of the components will have had a chance to go down a bit by then. 
    edited November 2018 muthuk_vanalingambikertwin
  • Reply 26 of 71
    M68000 said:
    lewchenko said:

$750 is still expensive. Flagship prices only 2 years ago for the mid range phone option if you consider the XS and XS Max the flagships now. 

Broadly speaking , Apple might be finding that less people than expected are willing to shell out top money when cheaper options are available (iPhone 8)

The XR’s biggest problem is its size. I know people who have said they no longer have an upgrade path from either a 6/6S/7 etc as they don’t want a bigger phone and the XS is too expensive. The 8 is the only option for them and it’s not much of an upgrade. My wife is one of them. She would (and is) buying nothing instead which is a lost sale for Apple as she really wanted to upgrade. 
    Agree with most of what you say but to say that the 8 is not much of an upgrade I have to disagree.   The 8 has the same A11 chip used in the X phone which is faster than nearly everything on the market except the newest iPhones.   It has wireless charging which I love.   It has much better speakers than previous 6/6s/7 phones.   It also is smaller and lighter than the new "flagship" XS and XR phones.
    I actually agree with you. It’s the wife who thinks the 8 doesn’t seem much of an upgrade over her 7. She considered the 8 not worth the extra above the 7 at launch so opted for the cheaper 7 at the time. 
    It’s not like there is anything wrong with her 7 though , she wants something new and shiny. 
  • Reply 27 of 71
    lewchenko said:

In general the pricing does suck.  

But You're really saying price for the desired phone dimensions is the issue.
    if size is an issue the XS is the option... 8 for cheap (and an 8 is pretty fast compared to a 6/6S), XS for power, capabilities and size.
    Small is always more expensive that bigger, until it's huge (Ala iPhone XS Max)

The XR is the 'cheap' 6/6s/7/8 Plus replacement.  

• Reply 28 of 71
    Stock down 4% as a second firm downgrades the stock warning about soft iPhone sales. Market cap now down to $961B. It’s going to be a brutal few months for the stock.
    edited November 2018
  • Reply 29 of 71
    mrboba1mrboba1 Posts: 276member
    lewchenko said:

Agreed. My daughter has a 7 which is losing its battery capacity but does not want anything bigger. The 8 is the end of the (current) road for her.
  • Reply 30 of 71
    Hey, look! It’s “Crap On Apple Week”!
    edited November 2018
  • Reply 31 of 71
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    lewchenko said:
    The XR’s biggest problem is its size. I know people who have said they no longer have an upgrade path... as they don’t want a bigger phone and the XS is too expensive [and too big!].
    This is my position. I had a 5s since Day One and loved the size. It got slower with iOS 10 and 11. It died before 12, so I got an SE. The 8 would be an upgrade but the size... The size...

I'll likely keep the SE until 'its wheels fall off'. The Xs is attractive but much bigger than I want. I don't expect an SE2, and if I did I wouldn't expect all the bells and whistles of the Xs. That would be ok by me, as long as there was something new and improved in SE skin. LOVE that the new iPad Pros have the same edge of the 4~SE lineup
    edited November 2018 atomic101bikertwinmattinoz
  • Reply 32 of 71
    I'd bet if they (Apple) knocked a hundred dollars off of the price, they'd have trouble keeping up production with demand...
    elijahg
  • Reply 33 of 71
    I might spring for one if I could get the 128GB model for $700 plus a $200 trade-in for my 6s...
  • Reply 34 of 71
    I might spring for one if I could get the 128GB model for $700 plus a $200 trade-in for my 6s...
    Apple isn’t a non-profit. If a product cannot support their margins, they won’t manufacture or sell it.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 35 of 71
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    My guess is an SE-sized phone with updated internals and Face ID, sometime around March...
    From your lips to Tim's ear. I'd be all over that phone in a heartbeat. Jason Snell of Six Flags said the SE wasn't necessarily done, and I tried not to let that get my hopes up. But still...
    bikertwin
  • Reply 36 of 71
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,101member
    The coral is beautiful, but I refuse to buy a full screen iPhone until they get rid of the notch, like they did wih iPad
  • Reply 37 of 71
    mrboba1 said:
    lewchenko said:

Agreed. My daughter has a 7 which is losing its battery capacity but does not want anything bigger. The 8 is the end of the (current) road for her.
    Sounds like a fresh battery may be a good way to tide her over until new models crop up next year.  If you act before the end of the year you can get the battery replaced directly from Apple for $29 (and $49 thereafter).  I'll likely be doing the same for my wife's SE (creeping up on that 80% threshold after 2 years).
    edited November 2018 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 38 of 71
    dws-2dws-2 Posts: 276member
    The trouble with crap like this is that we have no idea if it's true (reports like this tend to be 50/50), so we just impart our personal experience and opinions to decide what to believe. It reminds me of a Colbert quote, which (badly paraphrased) is, "I don't care about facts. Facts change. But my opinions will never change, no matter what the facts are."
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 39 of 71
    Going back to the early days of the Mac, Apple has always been something of an overpriced luxury brand. They just didn't have the sales to make money on volume. That changed a bit with the rise of the iPhone and the iPad, as they sold so many that they could make them affordable by Apple standards. But now that sales have plateaued and may decline in the future, Apple seems to have regressed back to what it knows best: making incredible products that are just too expensive for many. They seem to realize that they can't make money selling Chevys, so they are selling only BMW's and Mercedes now. Many will buy them, but many more just won't be able to. I, for one, am sad to see that.
    indieshack
  • Reply 40 of 71
    seankill said:
    Going to be interesting to see Apple find that market ceiling for phone prices. 

Nah, I don't really want to see what you look like having an orgasm.

Luckily I won't have to worry.
    elijahg