Analyst fears over iPhone XR shipments, future sales figures prompt AAPL sell-off

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    600k units short out of 47.5 million is a Slump in sales . And these reporters still hold jobs as credible journalists!. Journalism has become one if the most corrupt and manipulative institutions...
  • Reply 22 of 33
    sirozha said:
    Anyone is courageous enough to jump in a big way? Price is good, and in the past, AAPL always recovered from these catastrophic-looking dips. Will it this time?
    I gladly bought some more, at $199.75. I have no idea where the bottom is, but this looked plenty low for me give my valuation of the company (and my investing horizon).

I have no doubt that Apple is repurchasing the heck out of the shares, at these prices. I think that it has another $70B left of its previously announced repurchase program.
    They are restrictions on buybacks at earnings time. they cant buy till 48 hours past earnings..that ends today (where apple got even some more duscount) Lets see what they do starting tomorrow...
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 23 of 33
    sirozha said:
    Anyone is courageous enough to jump in a big way? Price is good, and in the past, AAPL always recovered from these catastrophic-looking dips. Will it this time?
    I would, because I like what I see here as far as opportunities go, but I don't feel that it's ethical for me to do so.

To each his own.. But i do not agree with your ethics concern. This envirnoment does not reward ethical approach... specially one that is realy not unethical to start with. You have the legal rights.. you are in it to make money... and here is an opertunity. Ethics does not belong to this picture ..IMO
  • Reply 24 of 33
    quinney said:
    sirozha said:
    I would, because I like what I see here as far as opportunities go, but I don't feel that it's ethical for me to do so.

How so? Do you have information not available to the public?
    I do not. There is no legal obligation for me to NOT buy, but I personally feel that it is unethical to do so, given that AI is my job, Apple is my beat, and our audience is not small.
    Plus.. for most us Apple is our beat ... and some of us may even have biger audiences. Is it your opinion that if Buffett bought more now he Is unethical. His audiance is massivly bigger than yours. I absolutly dont u derstand your reasoning. But hey as I mentioned before.. to each his own.....
  • Reply 25 of 33
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,294member
    I kind of wish it had been noted more strongly in the article that this particular analyst has an exceptionally terrible track record on predictions, and is consistently very negative/bullish on Apple. His track record and stock predictions have no relationship with reality whatsoever (AI has written about this fact before, and the story does mention that he’s “pessimistic”).

I’m not sure why he gets so much ink when he’s so consistently wrong, but then sites like this one used to give a lot of free press to Rob Enderle and John Dvorak, so let’s hope more people who run these Mac sites start to realise that Jun Zhang is another of that ilk.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 26 of 33
    I think Apple is just going to ride the current wave until either: people stop buying and shop elsewhere, or some other company emerges that threatens Apple's consumer market. My bet is on Microsoft to do just that and that is where my money is right now. I will sell off my Apple shares and wait and see where the bottom is and then scoop them up only to flip them again down the road. They clearly have no visionary at the company thus their long term outlook doesn't bode well for them.
  • Reply 27 of 33
    sirozha said:
    quinney said:
    sirozha said:

Although AppleInsider has in the past at various times said they are a rumor site, a news site and not a news site (depending on who was saying it at the time), they are a quoted source of STORIES and speculation on Apple, which has the potential to influence investors and markets. It’s unethical for a “news site” or one involved in reporting to promote or attack a stock and company with the intent to inflate or knock down that stock, without informing the public of any financial interest in that stock. I’ve been informed at times that none of the staff at AI hold any AAPL stock. I assume that is still the case.
    If anyone of them owns a mutual fund via a conventional investment account or a retirement account, they own AAPL. It's hard nowadays not to own AAPL if you are investing in retirement unless you choose not to be in any tech mutual funds.
    Even still, having an invisible portion of a mutual fund that you do not control and can’t increase stake in individual stocks in is not the same as owning stock in a single company.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 28 of 33

avon b7 said:
    quinney said:
    sirozha said:

I do not. There is no legal obligation for me to NOT buy, but I personally feel that it is unethical to do so, given that AI is my job, Apple is my beat, and our audience is not small.
    It's a personal decision and that has to be respected but I don't see anything unethical.

It's your private investment and if you don't have insider information, then AI being your job and having a large audience shouldn't be considerations IMO. Apple being your beat, if anything, makes any purchase more informed. 

But whatever you do, don't forget to inform the wife! 
    That isn’t how it works. Writers can’t have personal stock in companies they cover because then their fortunes are tied to the company’s, blowing any idea of being impartial. You can’t be expected to criticize or expose a company if it’s against your financial interests to do so. This is a fundmental pillar in conflict of interest ethics. 
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 29 of 33
    sirozha said:

To each his own.. But i do not agree with your ethics concern. This envirnoment does not reward ethical approach... specially one that is realy not unethical to start with. You have the legal rights.. you are in it to make money... and here is an opertunity. Ethics does not belong to this picture ..IMO
    It does when you’re a writer covering these companies.

Don’t quit your day job...
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 30 of 33

quinney said:
    sirozha said:

Plus.. for most us Apple is our beat ... and some of us may even have biger audiences. Is it your opinion that if Buffett bought more now he Is unethical. His audiance is massivly bigger than yours. I absolutly dont u derstand your reasoning. But hey as I mentioned before.. to each his own.....
    Buffet is not a journalist covering Apple and at no point will be ever be asked to report on them unfavorably or asked to potentially expose bad things with the company as a journalist may. 

I’m stunned that the very basic idea of conflict of interest has to be explained. 
    roundaboutnowSpamSandwichmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 31 of 33
    sirozha said:

It does when you’re a writer covering these companies.

Don’t quit your day job...
    Nope it absolutely does not..
    and if u have any reading comprehension skills... ..right at the begining i said” to each his own” ....but  dont pretend it a universal law/code of ethics. ! 

That said,, i wont quit my day job.... but i i suggest u get one !
  • Reply 32 of 33

quinney said:
    sirozha said:

Buffet is not a journalist covering Apple and at no point will be ever be asked to report on them unfavorably or asked to potentially expose bad things with the company as a journalist may. 

I’m stunned that the very basic idea of conflict of interest has to be explained. 
    First off if u start off with rude tone u will get it back.
    Your conflict of interest is a personal  one in your mind...  there is absolutely zero law out there saying that a journalist , let alone an Appleinsider article writer  can not buy stocks at anypoint they desire to. 
     Your conflicts  and codes of ethics are creations of your own mind... and again  i did POLITLY  suggest “to each his own” .    You chose to mock my comment! ....Yup, now that  is very civil/ cool and ethical of you..🤦‍♂️

As for Buffett .... he has infinitly  more  influance  on how a  stock will perform with one singular word ( journolist or not ) out of his mouth  than  you will ever have even if you wrote whole volumes of book ... ... so dont tooth your  own horn. 

As for ethics.. dont  mock others when u are cluless and choose to attack other who dont share your personal feelings..... rather try and   respond civily! ... now there u can use some ethics. 

Ps.. i and many along with me have lost all faith in so called ethical journalist/media  institution! Such instituation ‘for the most part’ , does not exist anymore.  
    Its nothing more than tenticas of the powerful to control and manipulate.... so spare me the ethical journalist  rant.  (Wolf in sheep skin) 

And try and apply ethics where it counts.. dont mock those who dont think like u do... 
    and ohh... do get a day job. ! ;)

• Reply 33 of 33
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member

avon b7 said:
    quinney said:
    sirozha said:

It's a personal decision and that has to be respected but I don't see anything unethical.

It's your private investment and if you don't have insider information, then AI being your job and having a large audience shouldn't be considerations IMO. Apple being your beat, if anything, makes any purchase more informed. 

But whatever you do, don't forget to inform the wife! 
    That isn’t how it works. Writers can’t have personal stock in companies they cover because then their fortunes are tied to the company’s, blowing any idea of being impartial. You can’t be expected to criticize or expose a company if it’s against your financial interests to do so. This is a fundmental pillar in conflict of interest ethics. 
    You are very much mistaken. That is what disclosure is for (if you consider it necessary in the first place). As I said, this is a personal decision.

We are talking about a private, risk based investment. It would be very different of a writer were being paid by the company or seeing privileges.

It could be argued that just being a simple fan of the company (or hating a competitor) blows any idea of being impartial, too.

As a tech writer (reviews etc), credibility is earned and only earned. It is something you gain precisely by being as impartial as possible. You can be a fan, you can hate another company, but your ability to write on both companies in one or various pieces and set aside any underlying bias is key to your ability to earn credibility.

No one is perfect and readers are fully capable if factoring that into their conclusions.

If in doubt, disclosure sets things very straight.
    muthuk_vanalingam