Apple updates iWork, iMovie for iOS & Mac, GarageBand for iOS

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2020
Apple on Wednesday released a slew of updates to its iWork suite of Mac and iOS productivity apps, the more important changes affecting GarageBand and iMovie.

iMovie for Mac

iMovie for iOS now supports external displays when connected to 2018 iPad Pros, whether for mirroring or fullscreen previews while editing. Those tablets additionally support uncompressed 4K output.

The Mac edition of the software has actually lost a feature, namely sharing straight to Facebook. In its place is "Prepare for Facebook," which exports a compatible video that must be uploaded separately.

GarageBand for iOS adds a Wah stompbox and Face Control to the Smart Guitar tool, and enables support for "Smart" and Bluetooth keyboards.

The Mac and iOS editions of Pages, Numbers, and Keynote have likewise been updated, but mostly with performance and stability fixes. The one exception is Pages, which now publish straight to Apple Books.

All of the updates can be downloaded free from the Mac and iOS App Stores.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    So macOS has disabled all Facebook sharing but iOS continues to allow it. WHY?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 12
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,556member
    lkrupp said:
    That's a misrepresentation of what's happening. 

On macOS, Apple was providing the Facebook integration and have successively removed it from the OS and now from their apps. 

On iOS, the Facebook App provides the upload functionality into the Sharing menu. 

On my iPhone, where I do not have the Facebook app installed, there is no option to share directly to Facebook from iMovie. 
    lollivern2itivguyfastasleepchasmRayz2016watto_cobradysamoria
  • Reply 3 of 12
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    spheric said:
    lkrupp said:
    That's a misrepresentation of what's happening. 

On macOS, Apple was providing the Facebook integration and have successively removed it from the OS and now from their apps. 

On iOS, the Facebook App provides the upload functionality into the Sharing menu. 

On my iPhone, where I do not have the Facebook app installed, there is no option to share directly to Facebook from iMovie. 
    I totally understand why Apple removed the Facebook hooks.  Why should/would Apple take time and effort into maintaining an interface to another company's API?  I use iMovie often, and use FB and I never used the upload to FB directly.  I always created the file first and then did a separate upload.

The more hooks like this that Apple removes, the better.  I don't want all these social-media hooks engrained into MacOS.  Keep it as vanilla as possible.
    soundsinamotionchialollivermacplusplusrazorpitwatto_cobratoysandmedysamoria
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Authors can now publish directly to Apple Books from Pages. Pretty neat!
    watto_cobratoysandme
  • Reply 5 of 12
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    sflocal said:
    I totally understand why Apple removed the Facebook hooks.  Why should/would Apple take time and effort into maintaining an interface to another company's API?  I use iMovie often, and use FB and I never used the upload to FB directly.  I always created the file first and then did a separate upload.

The more hooks like this that Apple removes, the better.  I don't want all these social-media hooks engrained into MacOS.  Keep it as vanilla as possible.
    Agreed. I thought it was extremely tacky when they first worked it in to the (Mac) OS.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Multiple tab in iWorks for iOS is needed when you mention ipad replace laptop. Pls
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 12
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    I’m not up to play with Mojave but is the share function centrally managed now?  In iOS the app hands off to a ShareSheet which allows 3rd party app extensions.  Extensions are there in macOS but access seems proprietary (before Mojave).
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 12
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,291member
    This is actually pretty huge. Do please remember to have an actual editor take a run on your book before publishing, out of self-respect if not actual respect for the reader. And remember you'll need to put the manuscript into Vellum or some other system if you want the book to appear on Kindle, Nook, etc.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 12

The more hooks like this that Apple removes, the better.  I don't want all these social-media hooks engrained into MacOS.  Keep it as vanilla as possible
    Apple's new Sharing menu is a feature of both iOS & OSX & provides extended app functionality which the user can decide whether or not is needed. Since Apple uses a sandbox model which prevents potentially malicious apps from grabbing data from other apps, this restores functionality which was otherwise band. 
  • Reply 10 of 12
    chasm said:
    This is actually pretty huge. Do please remember to have an actual editor take a run on your book before publishing, out of self-respect if not actual respect for the reader. And remember you'll need to put the manuscript into Vellum or some other system if you want the book to appear on Kindle, Nook, etc.
    Yep. A second (and third) set of eyeballs before publishing is key.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Someone please make a compatibility guide. I can’t be the only user who has devices that I cannot or do not want to update to the newest OS just for an app update. What versions support other versions still being in your workflow, across iOS and Mac OS? If one device is up to date, does that screw all the older devices with older versions of the apps?? Would my Pages or GarageBand documents get trapped being only readable on the newest devices or is there any forward compatibility in place for the file types? Usually there isn’t but surely Apple has considered the situation where not all their customers are independently wealthy and able to keep replacing no longer supported hardware that’s still otherwise perfectly useable... (ha ha ha ha ha ha ha)
  • Reply 12 of 12
    ivanhivanh Posts: 597member
    jwhc said:
    Multiple tab in iWorks for iOS is needed when you mention ipad replace laptop. Pls
    Unlimited multiple windows of overlapping, flexible window size and multiple tabs, and multiple users.