Comcast to launch video streaming product for broadband customers in 2019, report says

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
According to a report Wednesday, Comcast is looking to field a new streaming device in 2019 that offers existing broadband customers app-based access to online services like Netflix and Amazon Prime.

Apple TV
Apple TV provides access to hundreds of streaming channels and services.

Citing sources familiar with the matter, CNBC reports the streaming platform will debut some time next year as a set-top box with voice-activated remote control, much like devices from Apple and Amazon.

Comcast's product will present broadband customers a selection of online streaming services including Netflix, Amazon Prime and YouTube, the report said. Executives have not decided on the final number of apps and services that will be made available through the unannounced product, which is expected to debut as a set-top box, though the selection will likely be dwarfed by similar market offerings like Apple TV.

The supposed solution is said to build on X1, Comcast's existing digital platform that combines cable TV channels with streaming apps. While the new product will lack access to cable bundles, users will be able to rent content and upgrade to a video package, the report said.

As noted in the report, Comcast's platform is not designed to challenge devices like Apple TV and Amazon's Fire TV line, as offering a full host of video services through the new platform would cannibalize its bundled video products. Instead, the company is presenting the solution as an add-on for internet subscribers.

Similar to Apple TV, Comcast envisions the device as a hub for the connected home. Users will be able to control smart home appliances and other internet-connected devices, presumably through the voice-activated remote.

A timeline for release was not disclosed, though sources claim Comcast intends to market the set-top box to internet-only customers. Pricing is likewise unknown. It appears Comcast plans to sell access on a subscription basis, but has not yet decided on a monthly fee for the device.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    I can just imagine.  Ask it for help and it will bite your head off and double your fees.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    Nope. No freaking way. Last thing I need is Comcast with anymore control. 
  • Reply 3 of 16
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    Comcast has got to be sweating bullets the last few years - the only reliable product they have anymore is broadband. We dumped Comcast for everything except broadband several years ago and haven't looked back.

It's kind of ironic how the on-demand model is ultimately making things more fragmented and complex for people and may even end up leading to higher total fees, just divided among multiple providers.
    davgreg
  • Reply 4 of 16
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,273member
    Why am I not surprised that Comcast is being stupid? Why develop your own, crappy/underfeatured device when the Apple TV or some similar device is right there and does more? Oh wait ... spyware! What was I thinking!
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Right... because there aren’t enough streaming devices on the market...

so a compsny thats Not a hardware manufacturer is going to give people a compelling way to stream that beats what already out there (Apple TV, Roku —funny my iPhone pretends it doesn’t know how to spell roku—, Chromecast, etc.). 

Its not a matter of a compelling device and service combo. It’s just a way to milk customers. 

“No. We don’t want to have our content on this great hardware that you prefer mr. And ms. Customer. We want you to use our crappy device to view our content. And we want you to pay extra to do that.”

comcast is going to disappear if they go this route. It’s super old school thinking. And when I say that, I mean the old school that now defunct businesses went to. 

If you are a content company then focus on focus on compelling content and easy access. not sandbox thinking. 

I cant believe they’d be this stupid. 
  • Reply 7 of 16
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,564member
    Betamax.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    They just need an Apple TV app!
  • Reply 9 of 16
    An app to watch Netflix and Amazon Prime. What a novel idea.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Comcast will need to prepare itself to transition from the 1980's technology it (and other cable providers) have been living off of for the last 40 years and prepare for the future:
    -- Transition from cable TV to internet based apps
    -- IoT controlling the home demanding new technologies
    -- 5G making even its broadband customers able to cut their cord and go completely wireless

The first two they can probably manage -- or should be able to.
    The last could devastate them.  Just as millions first dropped their copper wires and later dropped even their internet based landlines completely, 5G could spur another wave of those dropping their cable/fiber optic tether completely.

Will the cable TV providers go the way of the buggy whip?
    We watched American basic industries ravaged and decimated by newer techniques back in the 80's while they sat on their laurels thinking they were invincible.  Will cable companies do likewise? 
  • Reply 11 of 16
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,036member
    mercel said:
    Comcast would have to pay me to sign up for any of their services.  Never seeing another bill from the crap company is on my bucket list.
    Actually, competition has made them improve greatly in my area. The arrival of AT&T Fiber has caused them to speed bump their service a number of times- better than 3x the speed for the same money. I have no doubt that if AT&T was not building out fiber here we would not be seeing it.

Their service has improved greatly, but the normal model of customer service is not very good.

I will offer this. If you use @comcastcares instead of calling or using the regular website's chat, you will get better and faster service and not be on hold for an eternity. It is responded to from Philly- not your local office and they have proved much more capable and far less frustrating.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    5G and beyond will bring Comcast extinction. The best they will likely have is business customers. I can’t wait.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    chasm said:
    Why am I not surprised that Comcast is being stupid? Why develop your own, crappy/underfeatured device when the Apple TV or some similar device is right there and does more? Oh wait ... spyware! What was I thinking!
    Because with out the protections of Net Neutrality, Comcast can now ensure their box gets priority service and the Apple TV will be lucky to get a usable video stream. 
  • Reply 14 of 16
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    So you will be able to subscriber to a Comcast system that will let you stream Netflix, Amazon Prime and such. 

Dollars to donuts if you try to subscribe through your own broadband connection like you do now, Comcast will either throttle or block it to force you to use their service. Net Neutrality is gone. It's legal now.

Thank you Ajit Pai
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 15 of 16
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Betamax.
    OT but I had to respond.  

Really bad analogy. JFYI  Betamax was far superior even if the home buyer went for the crappy cheap VHS rival. Beta lived on until digital video in the form of the professional market as BetaSP.  We had $65,000 Sony cameras than ran on BetaSP tape format as did multiple BetaSP editing decks costing $12-20,000 each (dubbing and all that good fun). Most of the TV you ever watched in the 90's was shot, edited and distributed using Sony's beta tape format.  Not so much VHS.
    edited November 2018 GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 16 of 16
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    MacPro said:
    Betamax.
    OT but I had to respond.  

Really bad analogy. JFYI  Betamax was far superior even if the home buyer went for the crappy cheap VHS rival. Beta lived on until digital video in the form of the professional market as BetaSP.  We had $65,000 Sony cameras than ran on BetaSP tape format as did multiple BetaSP editing decks costing $12-20,000 each (dubbing and all that good fun). Most of the TV you ever watched in the 90's was shot, edited and distributed using Sony's beta tape format.  Not so much VHS.
    Yeh, the better mouse trap doesn't always win...   Sad.