Samsung's 'Infinity Flex Display' demo shows future of foldable smartphones

Comments

• Reply 21 of 77
    mac_128 said:
    bluefire1 said:
    They’ve created an option that no one asked for or particularly wants. 
    Watch WESTWORLD. They use foldable devices to great advantage. You state "no one" wants this, yet there's a whole very popular TV series which demonstrates the use cases perfectly. Somebody clearly wants this, and there's clearly good reason for it as showcased by this series. I'm always astounded how some on these forums will completely discount an idea, just because Apple isn't demonstrating the concept first ... 
    FYI, Westworld isnt real. ;)

Foldable parts = more repairs, joint wear and tear etc. Best of luck to them. This seems like a tough product to get right.
    watto_cobravukasika
  • Reply 22 of 77
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,299member
    To me would work better as trifold instead of bifold.

Bifold the screen is either internal and protected but has to be unfolded to be used or external, unprotected needs to be completely switched on to use as the phone won't know which way you pick it up.

Trifold - in folded candy bar phone mode 2/3 on screen are hidden inside only the outside 1/3 of screen needs to turn on in phone mode. 2 segments for battery.
    Although how thick will these devices be folded. If say 3-4mm flat and 3mm minimum bend bifold will be 12mm+ at thickess point, trifold 15-17mm thick.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 77
    What’s Samsung’s motivation for showing of a prototype like this?  What do they get out of it?

The comments section of The Verge full of posts claiming Samsung is more innovative than Apple. Heck someone on MacRumors called this “bone crushing” innovation.
    vukasikatmay
  • Reply 24 of 77
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    mknelson said:
    mac_128 said:
    bluefire1 said:
    Watch WESTWORLD. They use foldable devices to great advantage. You state "no one" wants this, yet there's a whole very popular TV series which demonstrates the use cases perfectly. Somebody clearly wants this, and there's clearly good reason for it as showcased by this series. I'm always astounded how some on these forums will completely discount an idea, just because Apple isn't demonstrating the concept first ... 
    It's the clear devices that Sci-fi shows love that I don't understand. Sure, it's a useful dramatic tool (and the prop designers are probably drooling) so the audience can see what the character is seeing, but that's also the problem. Everybody can see what you're doing!
    Just as someone would see what you're doing on a laptop or iPad at a coffee shop. Instead of carrying a phone around in your jacket, and a tablet or laptop in your hands, such a foldable device allows the user the option of carrying one device, using it discreetly while folded, and unfolding it for a larger workspace, which everyone would see anyway if you were using such a large device. My takeaway is that such a device allows the characters to use a full-sized screen to work with several different items at once, solving complex problems, rather than a single item, one at a time, on a phone, without the need to carry around another device to allow them to do the same thing. I can't imagine anyone who wouldn't want this flexibility, which is one of the issues driving the debate over whether an iPad Pro should be able to use a mouse, or a Mac should have a touch screen. Why carry multiple devices around to be prepared for any situation when one device could actually do it all?
    muthuk_vanalingammocseg
  • Reply 25 of 77
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    What’s Samsung’s motivation for showing of a prototype like this?  What do they get out of it?

The comments section of The Verge full of posts claiming Samsung is more innovative than Apple. Heck someone on MacRumors called this “bone crushing” innovation.
    Yes, Samsung has lost face with recent ho hum product releases and no credible response to the A10 let alone A12. So to show what they are working on to prove they are innovative.  And it is to be honest, just no where near a product yet. 
    It is a difference in approach to secretive Apple. Google does tech previews too.
    watto_cobrarandominternetpersonStrangeDays
  • Reply 26 of 77
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,275member
    Hurrah for new technology, but I predict this will sell about as well as 3-D TVs, and I'd really need to see long-term (greater than a year) studies on durability before I'd get too excited about it. That said, this technology could lead to other things of more practical interest, so yay!
    watto_cobraargonautravnorodomvukasika
  • Reply 27 of 77
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    mac_128 said:
    bluefire1 said:
    Your argument is that if Hollywood does it then it's a great idea for users?

When you watch '24' you don't understand that hacking gov't servers doesn't begin and end with telling someone to open a new socket on a port, right?

How about when someone on CSI tells someone to repeatedly enhance the image which miraculously makes a shitty image into a very clear one?

You honestly can't think of a single reason why a transparent display has drawbacks or why it's not the future of display technology?

edited November 2018 watto_cobraargonautrandominternetpersonStrangeDaysvukasikaspheric
  • Reply 28 of 77
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member

There is a certain value to the brand in coming out with new, gee-whiz products, even if they never go anywhere. Samsung also has curved TVs - I never saw the point in those, either.

The concept is great - have a big screen when you need it and a little screen that folds so it fits in your pocket. The problem is I can even envision a design that would make that useable. Maybe that's just be being closed minded; who knows, but a foldable phone seems like a cool gimmick with little true use.
    watto_cobrarandominternetperson
  • Reply 29 of 77
    I could be wrong but looking at the perspective, it seems a lot of content would end up with black bars along the top and bottom so you end up with the opposite problem that most tall phones have these days. Regardless, whoever can execute this well, will have a very interesting device. It seems like this would be the most logical future form factor if the price/performance/thickness is right.
    You’re correct regarding the black bars, this aspect ratio is horrible for cinema formatting.  By extension, I’m not sure what this concept provides, seems like it would canabilize future Note sales.  Individuals that utilize their iPad in a professional manner, would most likely pass on this as it provides no real value outside of replacing 2 devices with 1.  As a professional, I keep my work devices separate from my personal devices and prefer a larger screen when actually doing work.  For example, my work laptop is the same screen size as my iPad Pro, which is fine for mobile work but my iPad is for my side company.  I understand some people would prefer one device, except for not running iOS, personally I prefer this technology for an iPad mini that can become large format.

This technology might never gain mass market appeal or be over quickly, due to augmented reality becoming ubiquitous.  I would rather put on a pair of glasses and have a screen of any size, on any surface, without the limitations of a physical screen.  Not to mention the numerous other features that AR allows.

Last but not least, I applaud Samsung for developing a new material for the “cover window”.  That being said, considering my background in advanced engineered materials, glass cannot currently bend enough for this concept, not even close.  That leaves a specialty plastic with a vapor deposited abrasion resistant coating.  Translated, this will not have a very long service life (max # of bends) nor will it be very durable.  There’s a reason the prototype was unveiled in the dark, and if you believe Samsung’s “design protection statement”, PM me because I have some great real estate to sell you.
    watto_cobrarandominternetperson
  • Reply 30 of 77
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Soli said:
    mac_128 said:
    bluefire1 said:
    Your argument is that if Hollywood does it then it's a great idea for users?

When you watch '24' you don't understand that hacking gov't servers doesn't begin and with telling someone to opening a new socket on a port, right?

How about when someone on CSI tells someone to repeatedly enhance the image which miraculously makes a shitty image into a very clear one?

You honestly can't think of a single reason why a transparent display has drawbacks or why it's not the future of display technology?

Nex week, Samsung will be announcing that the new phone will be powered by Unobtainium. 
    watto_cobraargonautStrangeDays
  • Reply 31 of 77
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member

Which will probably lead to “toe stubbing” sales. 

To me, this looks like a classic case of compromising two devices in search of a new market. But that’s not to say such a market doesn’t exist. 

https://techcrunch.com/2018/11/07/samsungs-dual-screen-folding-phone-is-very-strange-and-probably-doomed/

Though some one may disagree. 
    edited November 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 77
    mac_128 said:
    bluefire1 said:
    No one’s discounting the idea, we’re discussing the limitations that prove this is simply vaporware.  It’s a stretch to imply that Samsung is demonstrating the concept first, because plenty of prior art exists.  Samsung has done nothing unique, only showcased an incomplete concept that is not ready for the consumer.  At this point, there’s no indication that this Frankenstein device can effectively replicate  the original devices features and functions.  The aspect ratio is wrong for movies/TV, screen is small for desktop class applications, and dropping it will destroy it, but at least they can use it as a prop in Westworld...

For decades, exotic concepts like these have captured our imaginations, by solving problems that we perceived in those moments.  At our current intersection of the internet, artificial intelligence, augmented reality and advanced mobile processors & sensors, we can leave the humble screen behind.  Like phonographs, records, tapes, and CDs before, we’ve assimilated and transcended these static mediums.  A paradigm shift in technology, it’s application, and the way it fundamentally changes humanity.  Consumer AR devices are expected in 2020, allowing screens to be any size, shape, form, placed anywhere, and allow infinite collaboration & interaction.

I suppose an average person might mistaken Samsung for innovating, by demonstrating a half baked concept that’s been around for decades.  Perhaps I will get lucky, and Samsung will demonstrate the ability to manufacture something that’s not a POS.  Until then, I will keep coaxing along my failing 18 month old Samsung washer, dryer, fridge, and big screen.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 77
    mac_128 said:
    bluefire1 said:
    That somebody is Samsung, obviously...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 77
    FatmanFatman Posts: 513member
    Kudos to Samsung for thinking outside of the (rounded rectangle) box - even though it has a ways to go and borrows from the clamshell / flip phone / game boy designs of the past. At least it’s an attempt to solve the need for displaying more content while keeping the device conveniently portable - the increasing size of phablets is becoming a bit absurd. Will Apple counter with a design or be a fast follower if it succeeds in the market?
    mocseg
  • Reply 35 of 77
    Won't distorting a battery create the risk of explosion?

And, coming from Samsung, the master of exploding phones, it might be a slight cause for worry.
    Not if the battery is split up into two banks. 
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 77
    Fatman said:
    Kudos to Samsung for thinking outside of the (rounded rectangle) box - even though it has a ways to go and borrows from the clamshell / flip phone / game boy designs of the past. At least it’s an attempt to solve the need for displaying more content while keeping the device conveniently portable - the increasing size of phablets is becoming a bit absurd. Will Apple counter with a design or be a fast follower if it succeeds in the market?
    Apple won't follow it. Apple doesn't follow making netbook and touch screen laptop. I think Apple thinks the flexible screen is meant for bending at a set position and stay there..... like wrapping around something and permanently stay that way. Not for constantly bending and unbending until it breaks (there's no hinge on this thing). Samsung is asking for trouble. There will be lots of returned products.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 77
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    I've done fake demos before and that was pretty fake, about the fakest I have seen. Didn't even launch an app. 

I suppose it does show off the foldable technology though but the holy grail of foldable phones is surely one that folds the other way. 
    randominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 77
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member

dewme said:
    I like the technology tremendously. A roll up high definition TV or monitor. Lots of wearable potential. If you made a full body suit from this flexible material and had multiple cameras on all sides could this not be used to form a cloaking device. Or maybe just upgrade your appearance. Full face video bag. Hmmm. Maybe something simpler, like window shades that always show a bright and sunny image on the inside regardless of the actual weather. 
    Id love an LCD screen that folds up too, like a projector screen,  but this is a ways away from that. 
    edited November 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 77
    cornchip said:
    Material fatigue is going to be a challenge.
    This. 

Thete is no no way around it. 

If you fold plastic, you will create a crease. It will then break completely in short order. 

There is no truly foldable material in which s screen can be produced that can fold in this way. Until a screen can be made with cloth, it isn’t happening. Sure, it’s impressive that many other challenges have been figured out. But that’s the realm of R&D, skunkworks, and pet project vaporware. 

I belirve it when samsung says that they can mass produce this foldable display soon. What I don’t believe is that their business will escape a sound thrashing for the utter horror that such s thing would unleash upon initially excited customers. 

The thought of “oh wow, a foldable screen!” Would be replaced quickly by “what s piece of junk.”

props to Samsung (and another company that actually beat them to the punch) for figuring out out to make it function. Now, let’s hope someone figures out how to make it useful. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 77
    “First!”

“look at me! I’m first!”

whether they actually are or not. 

Thats their whole marketing strategy. 

Where Apple prefers to ship something and let you become convinced by how great it is, Samsung tells you way in advance how great their vaporware is, whether it actually ends up being what they said or not. 
    ravnorodomrandominternetpersonwatto_cobra