Here are the best external drive enclosures for your new MacBook Air or Mac mini

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    mbenz1962 said:
    MacPro said:
    mbenz1962 said:
    Using OWC's SoftRaid to give back RAID support that was stripped from macOS
    I’m not sure exactly what is meant by this rather vague statement, but if the allusion is to MacOS’s ability to create a software RAID, this is not only out dated info, but was only ever half true to begin with. Due to some “makeover” work for Disk Utility in El Capitan, the GUI version of Disk Utility did indeed have the features for RAID management (including creation of Software RAIDs) altered and reduced. The ability to make a software RAID from the command line was never removed (or “stripped from macOS in the author’s parlance).

Most RAID management features were readded with Sierra over 2 years ago.

Apple has a knowledge base article with the steps For creating disk sets with Disk Utility in High Sierra and Mojave here https://support.apple.com/guide/disk-utility/create-a-disk-set-dskua23150fd/mac
    I used to use ATTO SoftRAID now I use both Apple's Disk Utilities and also SoftRAID.  SoftRAID was slow to catch up with support for APFS which is why I went back to Apple's in-house variety and have yet to go back to SoftRAID.  What are your thoughts on which is better?  I always liked the advance warning of hardware failures in SoftRAID.
    I have never used anything other than macOS’s built in Disk Utility (or the command line) for software RAID management. The built in tools don’t have much in the way of reporting/warnings and are not exactly “feature rich” as the revised article now indicates. The big advantages are, of course, cost and support from Apple.

I have a hardware RAID from G-Tech now, but previously I built and used a software RAID out of two old Seagate Goflex Desk units. I had some issues with the drives a few times due to power outages and Disk Utility always managed the rebuild with no issues. Like with nearly everything in life YMMV, but Disk Utility always served my needs.
    Yes, Disk Utilities directly or via command line (all the features do have GUI)  seem very good.  I was testing the developer version of DiskUtilities when they first released APFS and I still have it.  It can do a ton more than the standard release.  BTW I have found that if I install SoftRAID drivers I can still take advantage of their reporting their software provides albeit manually while still running on Apple's drivers.

edited November 2018 williamlondon
  • Reply 22 of 25
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    nht said:
    I'm surprised you didn't mention the Mantiz Venus as it has a bay for a SATA SSD.  It's an odd duck when discussing external drive bays but so is the Node Lite.  Presumably you can stick an optane drive in the Mantiz instead of a video card AND have a SSD.

I wonder if you can make a fusion drive out of a 480GB optane and a cheaper 2TB SSD....
    We recommend the Mantiz Venus in a different piece about eGPUs. It's a good eGPU, it is less efficient as a storage enclosure. I tried pci-E NVMe storage in my Mantiz, and it didn't work. Beyond a simple plug-in and connection effort, I didn't try that much harder beyond that, though.
    I guess with 2 TB3 controllers having an all in one enclosure with both a SSD and eGPU is less attractive.  When I thought there was only 1 it was more attractive as an option.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 25
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    mbenz1962 said:
    I have a hardware RAID from G-Tech now, but previously I built and used a software RAID out of two old Seagate Goflex Desk units. I had some issues with the drives a few times due to power outages and Disk Utility always managed the rebuild with no issues. Like with nearly everything in life YMMV, but Disk Utility always served my needs.
    In my experience, there are +/- to each. With a hardware RAID, sometimes they can get really picky about everything being exact in terms of replacing a drive that has gone out (i.e. you almost have to keep exact spares on-hand), and if the hardware breaks, you might have a hard time getting the data back. With software, things can go wonky with the software, making it hard to deal with. Rebuilds and such can be glacially slow w/ software RAID too. Apple's RAID stuff I'd classify as a bit wonky, but I haven't spent much time with OWCs software yet.

michelb76 said:
    I have been using http://jon.stovell.info/software/keep-drive-spinning/ for years now with no issues. It will write a small file in a user-specified interval preventing it from spinning down. Which I think is better for the drive. I'm using it with mechanical drives, not SSD's. His support forums answers a lot of questions as well.
    Thanks! I'll take a look at that. I just can't understand why Apple refuses to address it. I've reported it a number of times... have read about others frustrated with it too. Each OS update, I keep hoping, but nothing.
  • Reply 24 of 25
    Alan cAlan c Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Something like the TerraMaster D5-300C if you dont need raid.
    Wish somebody would make an economical 4-bay enclosure for JBOD. I don't need RAID, but I do have a bunch of 3.5" drives full of media. Don't need high performance for those kinds of files.
    How about the TerraMaster D5-300C, thats usb c and has optional raid only on 2 bays.

or ORICO 4-Bay Aluminium  which is a just USB enclosure for 4 disks.
    edited March 2019