Apple activates iPhone X display module replacement program for touch issues

Posted:
in iPhone edited December 2019
Apple on Friday initiated a service program to address an iPhone X display issue that causes the device's touchscreen to behave erratically.

iPhone X
iPhone X

According to a support document posted to Apple's website, the company said it has identified an issue in which "some" iPhone X displays do not respond to touch, respond intermittently to touch or react without human interaction. Part or all of an affected display might exhibit the aberrant behavior, Apple said.

The problem was traced back to a component that might fail on the display module. Apple did not identify the component, nor did it specify the number of iPhone X devices that are affected by the failure.

Owners of iPhone X models who experience the touch issue can visit Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider to receive a free display module replacement.

As usual, Apple or an authorized repair facility will examine customer devices to determine if they are candidates for the service program. If an iPhone does qualify, the faulty part will be replaced free of charge. Owners who already paid for eligible display module repairs can contact Apple to request a refund.

The program is applicable only to iPhone X handsets and covers affected devices for three years after the unit's initial retail sale.

Apple has dealt with a number of hardware and software snags related to last year's flagship iPhone, but today's repair program is a first for the handset.

Earlier this year, Apple acknowledged an issue that would cause iPhone X to become unresponsive to touch when the device was exposed to rapid changes in temperature. Prior to that, the company fielded complaints over GPS accuracy, a problem that was later fixed with a software update.

Most recently, Apple in May launched in-store replacements for iPhone X units experiencing Face ID troubles. Repair facilities were instructed to first run diagnostics and swap out the TrueDepth camera system before handing out replacement hardware.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    It’s posts like this that make me really appreciate my 2015 15” Pro. At some point it won’t be able to handle the video editing requirements I mainly use it for but between the keyboard issues of the newer models and now the HDD issues, the 2015 has fared well. I’ve never had an issue with mine. Hopefully that continues. 
  • Reply 2 of 15
    I had my X replaced in-store back in February because of this exact issue. 
    It started off as an intermittent issue in December which could be resolved by a restart, but steadily got worse. Until, by the beginning of February the touch screen was completely dead. 
    GeorgeBMacbb-15
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Good job Apple. These issues need to be fixed.
    bb-15
  • Reply 4 of 15
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    I know it’s just me, but given all the issues recently I wish Apple would slow down and not release products until they’re sure there are no problems. Of course it’s strange that this issue with the X didn’t show up for over a year. 
  • Reply 5 of 15
    maxitmaxit Posts: 222member
    There must be very few affected since there wasn't any ridiculous #gate involved...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 15
    maxitmaxit Posts: 222member
    fred1 said:
    I know it’s just me, but given all the issues recently I wish Apple would slow down and not release products until they’re sure there are no problems. Of course it’s strange that this issue with the X didn’t show up for over a year. 
    All the issues?
    Any commercial product manufactured in tens of millions will have defective units, no matter how long you delay production.
    GeorgeBMacStrangeDaysbb-15watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 15
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,563member
    There are no more active Extended Repair Programs than at most points in the last twenty years of Apple’s history. 

You can check the last twelve years, at least, for yourself:

https://web.archive.org/web/*/https://www.apple.com/support/exchange_repair/
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 15
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    maxit said:
    fred1 said:
    All the issues?
    Any commercial product manufactured in tens of millions will have defective units, no matter how long you delay production.
    That's true.   But equally true is that Apple is designing and building high performance, cutting edge sports cars rather than basic, time tested Toyota Corolla's.   With that in mind, I find their reliability record to be extraordinary.
    bb-15mocsegwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 15
    I still have an iPad Mini 2 that does the same:  Touch still works but works too well.  It responds and jumps around without being touched at all, particularly if you get your fingers near the screen.  It has no direct, obvious cause but seems to happen more when the unit gets warm.   I wonder if it's the same problem?
  • Reply 10 of 15
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    It’s posts like this that make me really appreciate my 2015 15” Pro. At some point it won’t be able to handle the video editing requirements I mainly use it for but between the keyboard issues of the newer models and now the HDD issues, the 2015 has fared well. I’ve never had an issue with mine. Hopefully that continues. 
    Yep, I happily still use 2015 MBP.   I'm hoping that when Intel finally delivers a 10 nm chips we will finally see a MBP which restores MagSafe and SD card reader because of extra room in the chassis.    Ideally they would provide a little more travel on the butterfly keyboard which is definitely finally in Beta.  MBP 2016 and 2017 had crappy alpha keyboards.
  • Reply 11 of 15

ManicMoov said:
    I had my X replaced in-store back in February because of this exact issue. 
    It started off as an intermittent issue in December which could be resolved by a restart, but steadily got worse. Until, by the beginning of February the touch screen was completely dead. 
    This is why I always try to avoid the first two years of any new architecture/major redesign.   Takes a little bit of time to work out the bugs (See butterfly keyboard for best example of a component which shouldn't have gone to production till this year.).
  • Reply 12 of 15

maxit said:
    fred1 said:
    All the issues?
    That's true.   But equally true is that Apple is designing and building high performance, cutting edge sports cars rather than basic, time tested Toyota Corolla's.   With that in mind, I find their reliability record to be extraordinary.
    I due tend to think that Apple is trying to become the Mercedes/Toyota/Lexus of personal electronics (and with that picking up big profits formats.    Classic design like MB with reliability like Toyota/Lexus (or the Toyota of old because I think they are slipping).     That's why they aren't for many people and why the new MacMini's start off at a higher price point and really go up.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 13 of 15
    k2kw said:
    Yep, I happily still use 2015 MBP.   I'm hoping that when Intel finally delivers a 10 nm chips we will finally see a MBP which restores MagSafe and SD card reader because of extra room in the chassis.    Ideally they would provide a little more travel on the butterfly keyboard which is definitely finally in Beta.  MBP 2016 and 2017 had crappy alpha keyboards.
    Don't hold your breath.
    Apple seems to have a singular, narrow design focus for the Mac line these days.

Personally I much prefer the design of the Lenovo Thinkpad T series.  They aren't as thin, light and mobile - but I value other stuff more highly -- particularly the great keyboards, flexibility, maintainability and upgradability.  Unfortunately, they don't provide the single biggest selling point of the Macs:  The Mac OS and Apple ecosystem.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    bb-15bb-15 Posts: 283member
    k2kw said:

maxit said:
    fred1 said:
    All the issues?
    I due tend to think that Apple is trying to become the Mercedes/Toyota/Lexus of personal electronics (and with that picking up big profits formats.    Classic design like MB with reliability like Toyota/Lexus (or the Toyota of old because I think they are slipping).     That's why they aren't for many people and why the new MacMini's start off at a higher price point and really go up.

I’m not denying that customers can have problems with Apple products. It is a fact that repair services have existed since the beginning of personal tech. 

But imo anti-Apple comments, such as about quality, should compare products between different OEMs. To me the best measure quality between OEMs is to look at customer surveys. 

- Apple has some of the highest rated smartphones. 

http://www.jdpower.com/press-releases/jd-power-2017-full-service-smartphone-satisfaction-study

- Apple has some of the highest rated laptops/desktops. 

http://www.theacsi.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=147&catid=&Itemid=212&i=Personal+Computers

* As for profits; my approach is again to compare Apple with other companies; Google makes plenty of money mining user data to send ads. And Microsoft also makes lots of money with a high profit to income ratio.

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/investing/020515/business-google.asp ;

https://bgr.com/2016/02/11/why-facebook-and-google-mine-your-data-and-why-theres-nothing-you-can-do-to-stop-it/  

https://phys.org/news/2018-07-microsoft-profit-climbs-cloud.html

watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 15
    ChelereneeChelerenee Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Does anyone have experience or suggestions on how to handle the rear camera and face ID suddenly quit working? Yesterday out of the blue an alert saying face ID cannot be recognized at this time popped up only to find that the rear camera is not working So neither is Face ID. I chatted online immediately with a tech-support and they said it was a hardware issue and I need to go to the Apple Store.  They informed me that the rear facing camera had failed and needs to be replaced with a $549 plus tax price tag.... since my warranty was up two months ago ....I see other people are having issues similar and I am wondering if anyone was able to have Apple replaced their phone or if they just had to purchase a new one as I was informed....I told the guy helping me at the Genius Bar that I have had every iPhone since day one and I have never had as many issues as I have had with the iPhonex...In November I was highly surprised when my screen cracked with a $311 repair fee attached to it… At that point I said That advertising the X with its ultra high price tag as shatterproof or shatter resistant as they call it Should be covered by apple....I could throw my iPhone 7 or iPhone 8 against a wall and it wouldn’t break and a 2 foot drop with a case on it and I have a $300 repair screen bill.  It is absolutely absurd they are charging $549 to repair a camera that I see according to Forbes and blogs is an issue with this phone in general and I am hoping someone will give me advice or suggestions on a way around having to pay for it and having apple replace their faulty product