Samsung's foldable display smartphone could launch in March for over $1700

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    MacPro said:
    I think this particular Samsung department will fold.
    Boom!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 44
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    thrang said:
    Is this needed? And I suppose it’s a prototype, but it looks as thick as a waffle
    Is it needed? Some would say yes. I'd buy a foldable phone that doubled my screen size -- but in the same size folded as my iPhone SE. As a proof of concept, this is one thing, as an actual product for $1700 -- that's a completely different matter. 

On the other hand, bringing such a product to market and learning how it fares in actual field use gains valuable insight for future developments. The original iPad was thick, and heavy, and had limited functionality compared to the iPad 2 a year later. But I'm sure Apple gained valuable insight from that first model. While I can't imagine the adoption rate would be massive here, especially for this price, perhaps there's some merit in offering it as an actual product. And who knows, despite it being the size of a Belgian waffle when folded, there might be some use case out there which makes sense. 
    avon b7watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 44
    mike54 said:
    Early days for folding phones. The first rocket failed, yet later it took men to the moon, and there are thousands more examples. Strange that followers of tech have their minds closed to the possibilities, and think that this is the final product of a folding phone that will be ever be made and that no improvements are possible, forever.

Is it needed someone asked. The way tech blogs and the vocal users of smartphones have been pushing for larger and larger phones, I'll say it's needed, as it could be the only way to get a smaller phone.
    It’s OK to be a fan of technology development over spans of time, but also to say this looks like a POS as an actual consumer good. We don’t have to bless every single product because technology. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 44

badmonk said:
    The name “Galaxy F” is a fail.
    Lots of fun with that one...

Galaxy Fail
    Galaxy FML
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 44
    mac_128 said:
    thrang said:
    Is this needed? And I suppose it’s a prototype, but it looks as thick as a waffle
    Is it needed? Some would say yes. I'd buy a foldable phone that doubled my screen size -- but in the same size folded as my iPhone SE. As a proof of concept, this is one thing, as an actual product for $1700 -- that's a completely different matter. 

On the other hand, bringing such a product to market and learning how it fares in actual field use gains valuable insight for future developments. The original iPad was thick, and heavy, and had limited functionality compared to the iPad 2 a year later. But I'm sure Apple gained valuable insight from that first model. While I can't imagine the adoption rate would be massive here, especially for this price, perhaps there's some merit in offering it as an actual product. And who knows, despite it being the size of a Belgian waffle when folded, there might be some use case out there which makes sense. 
    The original iPad wasn’t that thick or heavy, especially compared to the PC tablets of the day. I still fire mine up from time to time and admire its shape. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 44
    Is that your new foldable phone or are you just happy to see me?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 44
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    I look forward to seeing how one of these (or the Huawei one) look after a few months or a year of frequent use. See how well the screen is holding up over that hinge.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 44
    mike54 said:
    Early days for folding phones. The first rocket failed, yet later it took men to the moon, and there are thousands more examples. Strange that followers of tech have their minds closed to the possibilities, and think that this is the final product of a folding phone that will be ever be made and that no improvements are possible, forever.

Is it needed someone asked. The way tech blogs and the vocal users of smartphones have been pushing for larger and larger phones, I'll say it's needed, as it could be the only way to get a smaller phone.

More like people who understand engineering know this won't go anywhere for a LONG time.

Yes, we have rockets. You ever fly on one? Ever tried a flying car? How about a personal jet pack? There are just as many examples of technology that didn't go anywhere, even though it's "possible".
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 44
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    mike54 said:

More like people who understand engineering know this won't go anywhere for a LONG time.

Yes, we have rockets. You ever fly on one? Ever tried a flying car? How about a personal jet pack? There are just as many examples of technology that didn't go anywhere, even though it's "possible".
    Remember this is the consumer electronics space and Samsung says it will produce at least a million of the panels. It is a completely different situation to jet packs, rockets, and flying cars although Huawei has already presented a Digital Sky proposal for consideration which would control everything airborne up to 300m using 5G.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 30 of 44
    mike54 said:

That is very true.

However, I want to point out that original iPhone is not the first or even the 10th smart phone, but it is the first one that work/click with the mass.  

Elecrtic car had been around for 100 years but it is Tesla that makes it popular.  

And usually the first one get burn pretty bad.  
  • Reply 31 of 44
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    viclauyyc said:
    Elecrtic car had been around for 100 years but it is Tesla that makes it popular.  
    It's much more impressive than that. We're only a decade away from the bicentennial of the electric automobile.

edited November 2018
  • Reply 32 of 44
    madanmadan Posts: 103member
    Soli said:
    MacPro said:
    🤣 Nice!

I'm not a Samsung proponent at all and they can be pretty scummy but it's important to note that the same S-AMOLED screen in the X and XS/Max were touted * in this exact way * by Samsung about 5 years ago.  Most Apple fans poo-pooed it as inferior to IPS...until Samsung made it ready for prime time and Apple decided to jump ship from the IPS LCD in previous iPhones.

95% of phone/tablet screens come from Samsung.  They're very good at that.  Instead of mocking the technology, we should just realize that it needs more "time in the oven", so to speak, before Apple comes up with their own foldable concept.  A lot of bad AMOLEDs shipped for android before Samsung perfected the process and created a great screen.  A great screen...that current iPhones use to best effect.

Apple isn't stupid.  LG still isn't ready to create small AMOLEDs.  Samsung will be a partner for a while and if this technology becomes available for future products...Apple will use it.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 33 of 44
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Use experience will suck and aspect ratio is messed up in tablet mode...pretty much square!
  • Reply 34 of 44
    madan said:
    Soli said:
    MacPro said:
    🤣 Nice!

I'm not a Samsung proponent at all and they can be pretty scummy but it's important to note that the same S-AMOLED screen in the X and XS/Max were touted * in this exact way * by Samsung about 5 years ago.  Most Apple fans poo-pooed it as inferior to IPS...until Samsung made it ready for prime time and Apple decided to jump ship from the IPS LCD in previous iPhones.

95% of phone/tablet screens come from Samsung.  They're very good at that.  Instead of mocking the technology, we should just realize that it needs more "time in the oven", so to speak, before Apple comes up with their own foldable concept.  A lot of bad AMOLEDs shipped for android before Samsung perfected the process and created a great screen.  A great screen...that current iPhones use to best effect.

Apple isn't stupid.  LG still isn't ready to create small AMOLEDs.  Samsung will be a partner for a while and if this technology becomes available for future products...Apple will use it.
    1) Apple didn't move to OLED because Samsung phones were popular. They moved to OLED when newer technologies used with OLED made it possible for them to create the iPhone X.

2) As you note, most OLEDs come from Samsung and Samsung used most OLEDs which is why it was never going to be viable "5 years ago' for Apple to use OLEDs along their iPhone line.

3) Note that Apple used OLED displays in their Apple Watch over 3 years ago because it made the most sense for a variety of battery life and aesthetic reasons. Luckily, being such a small display and having a near existent volume compared to the iPhone in 2015 there was more than enough supply for Apple.

4) I also assume Samsung will be a core supplier for a fair while, if not indefinitely as one of several, as they have more experience with the tech and the foundries to make them now, but just like other components that Apple contracted Samsung manufacturer they will surely be marginalized as time goes on (just as new components from Samsung will likely get contracted out).

5) It wouldn't be smart for Apple to get beholden to a single vendor. This isn't an Apple v Samsung issue. It's an Apple as a client losing negotiating control from a contractor. The same applies for all contractors, even though not all are as reputable as others in certain arms of their business practices.
  • Reply 35 of 44
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Well, it will be interesting to see a sudden retreat from jokes about older people having flip phones, because this is what this is.
    No it’s not. For this, the phone mode is in folded state.
  • Reply 36 of 44
    Soli said:
    madan said:
    Soli said:
    MacPro said:
    🤣 Nice!

1) Apple didn't move to OLED because Samsung phones were popular. They moved to OLED when newer technologies used with OLED made it possible for them to create the iPhone X.

2) As you note, most OLEDs come from Samsung and Samsung used most OLEDs which is why it was never going to be viable "5 years ago' for Apple to use OLEDs along their iPhone line.

3) Note that Apple used OLED displays in their Apple Watch over 3 years ago because it made the most sense for a variety of battery life and aesthetic reasons. Luckily, being such a small display and having a near existent volume compared to the iPhone in 2015 there was more than enough supply for Apple.

4) I also assume Samsung will be a core supplier for a fair while, if not indefinitely as one of several, as they have more experience with the tech and the foundries to make them now, but just like other components that Apple contracted Samsung manufacturer they will surely be marginalized as time goes on (just as new components from Samsung will likely get contracted out).

5) It wouldn't be smart for Apple to get beholden to a single vendor. This isn't an Apple v Samsung issue. It's an Apple as a client losing negotiating control from a contractor. The same applies for all contractors, even though not all are as reputable as others in certain arms of their business practices.

1. Did you even read what I posted?  Apple didn't move to AMOLED because Samsung presented it FIVE years ago.  They moved to it when it was ready and better than IPS LCD.  My point is clear...if this foldable screen does the same, Apple will move to that too.

2. Thanks for repeating my point.  That's exactly what I said.  Twice.

3. OLED made the most sense for the watch due to battery, size and shaping concerns.  I never referred to the watch.  I referred to the iPhone.  The article is about a PHONE/TABLET screen.

4.  Apple will continue to use Samsung as long as they have the best components.  The reason they moved to TSMC is because they had a functional 7 nm process and because they design their own SoC.  CPU & GPU.  They don't design their own screens.  And from the looks of it, since there aren't any rumors abounding about that possibility, they don't look like they will for any time.  Which means that the company capable of producing the best product, will get Apple's business.  And for the foreseeable future...that's Samsung.

5.  No one said they should.

Thanks for the 0 calorie reply.
    avon b7
  • Reply 37 of 44
    madan said:
    Soli said:
    madan said:
    Soli said:
    MacPro said:
    ߤ㠎ice!

1. Did you even read what I posted?  Apple didn't move to AMOLED because Samsung presented it FIVE years ago.  They moved to it when it was ready and better than IPS LCD.  My point is clear...if this foldable screen does the same, Apple will move to that too.

3. OLED made the most sense for the watch due to battery, size and shaping concerns.  I never referred to the watch.  I referred to the iPhone.  The article is about a PHONE/TABLET screen.

4.  Apple will continue to use Samsung as long as they have the best components.  The reason they moved to TSMC is because they had a functional 7 nm process and because they design their own SoC.  CPU & GPU.  They don't design their own screens.  And from the looks of it, since there aren't any rumors abounding about that possibility, they don't look like they will for any time.  Which means that the company capable of producing the best product, will get Apple's business.  And for the foreseeable future...that's Samsung.

Oh, I read what you wrote, which is I why I made a detailed reply pointing out issues with your premise.

PS: Obviously Apple does design their own screens, or are you actually trying to argue that Samsung came up with the notch and chin-less design for the iPhone X which they then shared with Apple? What you're probably referring to is Apple designing their own OLED display tech for the current lot of devices, but you'd still need to modify that statement to denote Apple is rumoured to be designing their own display tech -and- that they also designed their own tech to make Samsung's middling display tech function at Apple-level standards.
    edited November 2018 StrangeDays
  • Reply 38 of 44
    Soli said:
    madan said:
    Soli said:
    madan said:
    Soli said:
    MacPro said:
    ߤ㠎ice!

Oh, I read what you wrote, which is I why I made a detailed reply pointing out issues with your premise.

PS: Obviously Apple does design their own screens, or are you actually trying to argue that Samsung came up with the notch and chin-less design for the iPhone X which they then shared with Apple? What you're probably referring to is Apple designing their own OLED display tech for the current lot of devices, but you'd still need to modify that statement to denote Apple is rumoured to be designing their own display tech -and- that they also designed their own tech to make Samsung's middling display tech function at Apple-level standards.

You read it so carefully, you repeated everything I said...and then had nothing to add. Kudos.
    Btw, the screen technology that Apple is using in the X is developed by Samsung.  The shape of the screen and the case are Apple but the SCREEN was Samsung.  I'm sorry that bugs you.  But it's true.

The point still stands.  Apple will continue to use Samsung for the foreseeable future.  For a variety of components.  For MOST components in the iPhone XS and XI actually.  And that won't change as long as Samsung continues to lead with world class screens.

Whether it twists panties or not.
    avon b7muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 39 of 44
    madan said:
    Soli said:
    madan said:
    Soli said:
    madan said:
    Soli said:
    MacPro said:
    ߤ㠎ice!

You read it so carefully, you repeated everything I said...and then had nothing to add. Kudos.
    Btw, the screen technology that Apple is using in the X is developed by Samsung.  The shape of the screen and the case are Apple but the SCREEN was Samsung.  I'm sorry that bugs you.  But it's true.

The point still stands.  Apple will continue to use Samsung for the foreseeable future.  For a variety of components.  For MOST components in the iPhone XS and XI actually.  And that won't change as long as Samsung continues to lead with world class screens.

LOL Ladies and gentleman, for his next trick Madan will further his argument that Apple doesn't make anything and that Foxconn and suppliers should get all the credit for Apple products. (Waits for a comment about how Apple is only good at marketing.)
    edited November 2018 StrangeDays
  • Reply 40 of 44
    Soli said:
    madan said:
    Soli said:
    madan said:
    Soli said:
    madan said:
    Soli said:
    MacPro said:
    ߤ㠎ice!

LOL Ladies and gentleman, for his next trick Madan will further his argument that Apple doesn't make anything and that Foxconn and suppliers should get all the credit for Apple products. (Waits for a comment about how Apple is only good at marketing.)

You do know that Galaxy S9s have comparable screens to the X-XS right?  And that their TVs, with the exception of LG are the best in the market by far.  And that Sony thought Samsung had such great engineering and IP that they contracted all Sony panels to be Samsung-designed/made about 3-4 years ago right?

Right? Right?

Right.
    muthuk_vanalingam