Apple's iPhone beat Huawei, Xiaomi on China's 11/11 record-breaking Singles Day

Posted:
in iPhone
An annual "Singles Day" sales event held by China's search giant Alibaba racked up record-breaking sales, countering the idea that consumer sales in China are weak. But more importantly to Apple observers: iPhone sales lead other smartphone brands, pushing Huawei into second place and Xiaomi into third place.

A report earlier today by CNBC noted that Alibaba's annual event, "known as 'Double 11' because it falls on Nov. 11, raked in record GMV of 213.5 billion yuan ($30.8 billion). In 24 hours, thousands of brands put massive discounts on their products."

The holiday, which began as an "anti-Valentine's Day" for singles to socialize and celebrate with their single friends, takes its name from the 11/11 date, which in Chinese is "Guanggun Jie," or literally "bare sticks," also a slang term for bachelors. Alibaba has commercialized the event as a shopping day similar to Amazon's Prime Day or the West's industry-wide Black Friday.

Despite a media narrative suggesting that Apple's sales are particularly troubled in China due to large volumes of lower-end models sold outside of Apple's core markets among mostly affluent urban Chinese by domestic brands lead by Huawei and Xiaomi, the fact remains that Apple is moving the most premium products by a huge margin, and is vastly more profitable than any other brand in China (or elsewhere).

Apple itself reported a 16 percent increase in revenues from Greater China during the quarter that ended in September, despite intense competition from domestic brands selling phones with average selling prices around $200. Huawei and other Chinese brands have attempted to sell more expensive models to appeal to Apple's audience, but simply raising prices has not allowed them to copy Apple's success.

Counterpoint Research Market Monitor Q2 2018
Source: Counterpoint Research Market Monitor Q2 2018

South Korea's Samsung, which has long offered even more expensive smartphone models than Apple, has also not been able to match the volumes of high-end sales that Apple regularly achieves each year. And in China, where Samsung's phones have little differentiation from Chinese Androids, the company's high-priced models are not performing well at all. Alibaba reported that Samsung's Singles Day sales only reached eighth place.

Neil Shah, a research director for Counterpoint Research, noted to CNBC that iPhone's leading Singles Day sales were "a positive sign for Apple because normally Xiaomi or Huawei has been the top brand." He also stated his opinion that "this shows the Chinese smartphone users are maturing fast and they are looking to buy more high-end devices, which is a good sign not only for Apple but other brands."

However, that hasn't been the case for Samsung in China over the last decade, and Chinese brands are still in the early stages of making any progress in selling more expensive models next to their high volume, very cheap offerings. Apple is the only company selling only premium new models, with refurbished and second-hand models making up a more affordable alternative for buyers on a budget.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    Is anyone surprised?

What else would make the perfect gift for Singles Day?

Everyone wants an iPhone, not everyone has one.
    magman1979racerhomie3watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 2 of 31
    No surprises here, 

The general public wants an iPhone, 

People only buy Android for one reason, PRICE.

Everyone I know that has an Android in Brazil, is because prices on Apple products are CRAZY.

Of course you have the small percentage of people who "love"Android and messing with settings and customization.

Most people won't open advanced setting in the lifetime of the device.
    edited November 2018 lostkiwiStrangeDaysmagman1979AppleExposedradarthekatwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 3 of 31
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    No surprises here, 

Everyone I know that has an Android in Brazil, is because prices on Apple products are CRAZY.

Of course you have the small percentage of people who "love"Android and messing with settings and customization.

Huawei Mate 20 Pro is not cheap. It sells for $999. 
    racerhomie3
  • Reply 4 of 31
    tzeshan said:
    No surprises here, 

But it's not something people want.

And even so, in Brazil the mate is more than a thousand Reais (brasil currency) cheaper then the iPhone XR. 

People want Apple.
    anantksundarammagman1979AppleExposedbb-15radarthekatwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 5 of 31
    vmarksvmarks Posts: 762editor
    tzeshan said:
    No surprises here, 

And even so, in Brazil the mate is more than a thousand Reais (brasil currency) cheaper then the iPhone XR. 

People want Apple.
    Not entirely true. There are people in the US who bought into android because it was cheap, but now that they have money, will buy a more expensive android device. Ecosystem lock-in and familiarity go a long way. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 31
    tzeshan said:
    No surprises here, 

LOL. Someone buys a $999 Huawei product?!

I guess it takes all types...
    magman1979AppleExposedracerhomie3watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 7 of 31
    But Mingchi said the iPhone was doomed!
    AppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 31
    tzeshan said:
    No surprises here, 

You know why Huawei Mate 20 Pro, Google Pixel 2 XL, Samsung Note 9 all listed for $999?  This is marketing fooling new buyers. A new buyer has no previous experience with the phone he is looking at. How he judges the quality of a product? Pretty simple, by price. 
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 9 of 31
    Let me hypothesize that we will see an accelerated target of false stories to raise and lower the stock periodically now that ``numbers'' aren't in the mix?

Now it will be the phantom % of parts only by third party suppliers from prior quarters, only to be slammed later when those become ``former'' suppliers and new suppliers arrive just before the next earnings report, right?

When does the SEC crack down on this? The level of speculation seems to be triggered with staged computer sell offs.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 31
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,622member
    I was following this news from China early today but in the articles that came my way, It was specifically stated that Alibaba had not given any individual amounts for the brands (not in revenue or unit sales).

Now I read this piece which throws in this:

"Despite a media narrative suggesting that Apple's sales are particularly troubled in China due to large volumes of lower-end models sold outside of Apple's core markets among mostly affluent urban Chinese by domestic brands lead by Huawei and Xiaomi"

Was that just added in spite of having no connection with the news itself or has Alibaba now actually released its brand numbers?
  • Reply 11 of 31
    tzeshan said:
    No surprises here, 

From what I hear it's the closest iPhone knockoff to iPhone.And yes android devices are overpriced to hell and back. No android should exceed 500 bucks.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 31
    tzeshan said:
    No surprises here, 

Well, Huawei sells models for over $2,000 and people buy them.

In the $800-$1,000 band they sell in the millions.

They 'take all types' as they have phones for every price band.
  • Reply 13 of 31
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Huawei and other Chinese brands have attempted to sell more expensive models to appeal to Apple's audience, but simply raising prices has not allowed them to copy Apple's success. 

No one buys an iPhone simply because it's the most expensive phone you can buy!

I'd love to buy a cheaper Android phone. The problem is, I don't like them, so I can't. It sucks, but there it is …

So many Android makers, and very little to separate them.

bb-15tmaywatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 14 of 31
    Rayz2016 said:
    Huawei and other Chinese brands have attempted to sell more expensive models to appeal to Apple's audience, but simply raising prices has not allowed them to copy Apple's success. 

No one buys an iPhone simply because it's the most expensive phone you can buy!

I'd love to buy a cheaper Android phone. The problem is, I don't like them, so I can't. It sucks, but there it is …

So many Android makers, and very little to separate them.

Android manufacturers believe if they raise prices, they are suddenly Apple. That's the poster's point.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 31
    tzeshan said:
    tzeshan said:
    No surprises here, 

You know why Huawei Mate 20 Pro, Google Pixel 2 XL, Samsung Note 9 all listed for $999?  This is marketing fooling new buyers. A new buyer has no previous experience with the phone he is looking at. How he judges the quality of a product? Pretty simple, by price. 
    Not to mention retailer can offer heavy discounts compared to iphone and make these high price android phone looks much better deal.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 31
    viclauyyc said:
    tzeshan said:
    tzeshan said:
    No surprises here, 

Not to mention retailer can offer heavy discounts compared to iphone and make these high price android phone looks much better deal.
    Right. these MSRPs are fraudulent, deceptive. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 31
    avon b7 said:
    I was following this news from China early today but in the articles that came my way, It was specifically stated that Alibaba had not given any individual amounts for the brands (not in revenue or unit sales).

"Despite a media narrative suggesting that Apple's sales are particularly troubled in China due to large volumes of lower-end models sold outside of Apple's core markets among mostly affluent urban Chinese by domestic brands lead by Huawei and Xiaomi"

Was that just added in spite of having no connection with the news itself or has Alibaba now actually released its brand numbers?

No connection? Apple outsold Huawei and Xiaomi to take first place during this sales event. This despite the doom & gloom announcements from many that companies like Huawei and Xiaomi are "eating Apples lunch" in China.

Look, I get it. Having Huawei end up in second (in China) behind Apple must be heart-breaking to you. There's no way you can spin this to make Apple look like they lost, despite your attempts to do so. Alibaba stated Apple was first. They didn't release specific numbers. If you have a problem with their claim, then take it up with them.
    tmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 31
    avon b7 said:

No connection? Apple outsold Huawei and Xiaomi to take first place during this sales event. This despite the doom & gloom announcements from many that companies like Huawei and Xiaomi are "eating Apples lunch" in China.

Look, I get it. Having Huawei end up in second (in China) behind Apple must be heart-breaking to you. There's no way you can spin this to make Apple look like they lost, despite your attempts to do so. Alibaba stated Apple was first. They didn't release specific numbers. If you have a problem with their claim, then take it up with them.
    Sales in what terms? Units? Orders for xx amount in monetary terms?

Are you confirming that 'large volumes of lower end phones' has nothing to do with what was being reported?

Why are you so concerned with 'winning' or 'losing'? You do realise this entire piece is based on just ONE event. Sales for ONE day and we don't even know what those sales mean because almost nothing has been detailed about them. Still, if you think it has that much relevance, fine.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 19 of 31
    I remember years back when Japan was a tough market. Pundits were saying Apple is having trouble cracking the market b/c They used their phones to pay for the trains and as small TV's.

Hmmm...
    radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 31
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    vmarks said:
    tzeshan said:
    No surprises here, 

People want Apple.
    Not entirely true. There are people in the US who bought into android because it was cheap, but now that they have money, will buy a more expensive android device. Ecosystem lock-in and familiarity go a long way. 
    Apple has other products that bring people into the Apple ecosystem.  I have two friends here within the expat community in The Philippines who grew frustrated with Android media streamers and bought AppleTV on my advice.  Not only do they love AppleTV but one of them has now switched from a Samsung Galaxy to an iPhone.  I have other friends who I hang out with regularly and it’s now the default that pics taken of our group are taken with my iPhone and then shared to the group.  As Cesar says, everyone wants an iPhone, as desired here in The Philippines, among both the locals and the expat community as it seems to be in his experience there in Brazil.  Those I see defending Android are doing so because it’s what they can afford and they are more defending the particular Android model (and their self-ascribed acuity in having chosen it) than any suggestion it’s actually better in any aspect than an iPhone. 
    racerhomie3watto_cobrajony0