Here are all the receivers and speakers that are getting AirPlay 2

Comments

• Reply 21 of 65
    mbenz1962 said:
    Boom! Just like that there is a market for AirPort Express again.  People that have nice speakers that aren't getting AirPlay 2 can add it for about $30-$50 if they go trolling on eBay.
    Couldn’t they use an ATV to do it as well? Provided the ATV outputs to a receiver where the nice speakers are. 
    Yes, but only AppleTV Gen 4 and 4K.  These are normally a bit more pricy than an AirPort Express (on eBay) though.  Additionally, these versions have no optical out, or really any audio out (HDMI only) which further makes them less ideal (likely needing an adapter of some kind) or possibly even unsutable for use with HiFi in a bedroom, bookshelf speakers in a library, stereo in a kids room, etc.
    edited August 2018
  • Reply 22 of 65
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,283member
    ivaua said:
    I wish Apple updated Airport Express with AirPlay 2 at least as a farewell... 
    Poof! Wish granted.
  • Reply 23 of 65
    jdgazjdgaz Posts: 404member
    I have been told by Marantz support that the SR6011 will not be getting Airplay2. They used to show it on their website as going to get it, but I guess they changed their minds.
  • Reply 24 of 65
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    jdgaz said:
    I have been told by Marantz support that the SR6011 will not be getting Airplay2. They used to show it on their website as going to get it, but I guess they changed their minds.
    Strange. Three days ago they told us that it was still coming. We'll call them up again. Thanks!
    edited August 2018
  • Reply 25 of 65
    I'm having this issue where my Apple TV Airplays to my Airport Express, but when I try to Airplay something from the iPhone to the ATV the sound stops. The only way to get audio while streaming from my iPhone is connecting the ATV to my bluetooth speaker. Any ideas for a solution?
  • Reply 26 of 65
    jdgaz said:
    Looks like you're right.  That's strange since other 2016-era products like the 7703 pre-pro (which I own) did get the upgrade.
  • Reply 27 of 65
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    sevenfeet said:
    jdgaz said:
    Looks like you're right.  That's strange since other 2016-era products like the 7703 pre-pro (which I own) did get the upgrade.
    We're still being told that it's coming.
  • Reply 28 of 65
    No Pioneer either :-(
  • Reply 29 of 65
    Airplay 2 does nothing for me without buying new Airplay 2 speakers. Just every AirPlay speaker could be updated, but screwing customers is the priority.
  • Reply 30 of 65
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 879member
    Designing a Home Theatre A/V System using a Sound Bar with two Apple Home Pods, just got a little better, but hella harder to decide which receiver and bar to use! MAN! :( This aint your 2006 A/V system! (12 years later is HUGE!)
  • Reply 31 of 65
    I've always wondered why Apple did not do an iBar, a sound bar. It seems like a no-brainer. To me, at least.
    entropys
  • Reply 32 of 65
    Please note that your list of Marantz supported devices is in conflict with the list on the Marantz web site.
  • Reply 33 of 65
    I still feel Apple is missing the boat on AirPlay. The Apple license to receiver manufacturers for AirPlay 2 is too limited .

I currently have a Denon receiver that supports AirPlay.   I would gladly upgrade the receiver AND buy several HomePods under one condition:  
    The AV receiver needs to SEND AUDIO OUT from all sources to the HomePod.  Specifically from HDMI #1, the cable DVR box from the cable company.   

Motivation:  
    During dinner prep time we are playing back the previously recorded news (we bounce and compare coverage on multiple channels MSNBC’s Rachel and then 11th hour, Fox and CNN,).   We want the audio to play both in the den AND the kitchen AND upstairs in our office.

The Apple TV is no help because MSNBC and other networks don’t provide current shows on the app.   Podcasts through the iPhone or iPad are no help because many of the networks delay access via an app for days.  I want my DVR output as well as output from my iPhone and Apple TV

Apple needs to sell both a “AirPlay 2 sender” license and an “AirPlay 2 receiver” license to the mfgs. 

That’s what it will take to get me to move forward and buy several HomePod speakers.
    rezwits
  • Reply 34 of 65
    IanSIanS Posts: 41member
    Decided to put off replacing my receiver until things shake out more in this space. For a purchase of this magnitude I want to be sure I am getting what I want and that there are no compatibility issues.
  • Reply 35 of 65
    Loving Airplay 2 on my Airport Express. Before v2, would often "lag out" because it couldn't buffer enough audio.

Remember this major upgrade to a discontinued product the next time someone squawks about Apple and planned obsolescence.
  • Reply 36 of 65
    According to Marantz, the SR5011 will not support AirPlay 2: https://marantz.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6713/~/marantz-avrs-supporting-airplay-2
  • Reply 37 of 65
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    Conspicuously absent: Sony
  • Reply 38 of 65
    sevenfeet said:
    jdgaz said:
    Yes, it kind of ticked me off as the Marantz site originally published that the 6011 would be updated. Then they changed it. 
  • Reply 39 of 65
    Crusader87Crusader87 Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    I have been in the market to add more speakers around the house.  So far I have two Sonos One and two airplay express.  I use airfoil to stream music to all the speakers.  I do understand that Apple like to be a premium brand and the HomePod sounds great but I wish they had more products that support airplay2.

I don't understand why their beats brand does not have any  devices with airplay2.  I want to have my whole house with speakers but I have to decide what music eco system I want to run.  I love the Sonos because the music streams from the internet to the speaker, you don't need an intermediate device between the two. At $200 they are at a nice price point. I wouldn't want to spend $350 for a speaker in my small kitchen. 

I think apple needs to make it easier or cheaper what ever it is have more speaker companies add airplay2 to there speakers or create a  $25-$50 dongle that supports airplay2.  
  • Reply 40 of 65
    bitmodbitmod Posts: 267member
    Just get the Bluesound Node and stream to anything you want. Fantastic Hifi device.