Samsung's foldable display smartphone could launch in March for over $1700

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 44
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,358member
    I don't follow Samsung's development process. Is there anything that says this will absolutely be the phone/form factor that will be their first retail foldable phone?

That design is fairly clunky, but it's saying 'We're doing it before anybody else, especially Apple'. It doesn't have to be the finished product. 

Regardless of what eventually ships, I like the idea of a folding screen. Folded, you see a small SE sized screen, then opened you'd get a double-wide (lol) screen with the same resolution. (That would be my pick, others would want more real estate.)

But the execution has to be much nicer than what's been shown. I don't know how seamless expansion could be, but I'd put up with a small screen long before getting a folding screen that's less than incredibly seamless.
  • Reply 42 of 44
    madanmadan Posts: 103member
    macgui said:
    I don't follow Samsung's development process. Is there anything that says this will absolutely be the phone/form factor that will be their first retail foldable phone?

That design is fairly clunky, but it's saying 'We're doing it before anybody else, especially Apple'. It doesn't have to be the finished product. 

Regardless of what eventually ships, I like the idea of a folding screen. Folded, you see a small SE sized screen, then opened you'd get a double-wide (lol) screen with the same resolution. (That would be my pick, others would want more real estate.)

But the execution has to be much nicer than what's been shown. I don't know how seamless expansion could be, but I'd put up with a small screen long before getting a folding screen that's less than incredibly seamless.

That's ok. According to Soli, Apple designs the IGPU in its Intel motherboards and Apple, not AMD creates the designs for the Vega 64s in the iMac pro.;)
  • Reply 43 of 44
    madan said:
    Soli said:
    madan said:
    Soli said:
    madan said:
    Soli said:
    MacPro said:
    I think this particular Samsung department will fold.
    ߤ㠎ice!

I'm not a Samsung proponent at all and they can be pretty scummy but it's important to note that the same S-AMOLED screen in the X and XS/Max were touted * in this exact way * by Samsung about 5 years ago.  Most Apple fans poo-pooed it as inferior to IPS...until Samsung made it ready for prime time and Apple decided to jump ship from the IPS LCD in previous iPhones.

95% of phone/tablet screens come from Samsung.  They're very good at that.  Instead of mocking the technology, we should just realize that it needs more "time in the oven", so to speak, before Apple comes up with their own foldable concept.  A lot of bad AMOLEDs shipped for android before Samsung perfected the process and created a great screen.  A great screen...that current iPhones use to best effect.

Apple isn't stupid.  LG still isn't ready to create small AMOLEDs.  Samsung will be a partner for a while and if this technology becomes available for future products...Apple will use it.
    1) Apple didn't move to OLED because Samsung phones were popular. They moved to OLED when newer technologies used with OLED made it possible for them to create the iPhone X.

2) As you note, most OLEDs come from Samsung and Samsung used most OLEDs which is why it was never going to be viable "5 years ago' for Apple to use OLEDs along their iPhone line.

3) Note that Apple used OLED displays in their Apple Watch over 3 years ago because it made the most sense for a variety of battery life and aesthetic reasons. Luckily, being such a small display and having a near existent volume compared to the iPhone in 2015 there was more than enough supply for Apple.

4) I also assume Samsung will be a core supplier for a fair while, if not indefinitely as one of several, as they have more experience with the tech and the foundries to make them now, but just like other components that Apple contracted Samsung manufacturer they will surely be marginalized as time goes on (just as new components from Samsung will likely get contracted out).

5) It wouldn't be smart for Apple to get beholden to a single vendor. This isn't an Apple v Samsung issue. It's an Apple as a client losing negotiating control from a contractor. The same applies for all contractors, even though not all are as reputable as others in certain arms of their business practices.

1. Did you even read what I posted?  Apple didn't move to AMOLED because Samsung presented it FIVE years ago.  They moved to it when it was ready and better than IPS LCD.  My point is clear...if this foldable screen does the same, Apple will move to that too.

2. Thanks for repeating my point.  That's exactly what I said.  Twice.

3. OLED made the most sense for the watch due to battery, size and shaping concerns.  I never referred to the watch.  I referred to the iPhone.  The article is about a PHONE/TABLET screen.

4.  Apple will continue to use Samsung as long as they have the best components.  The reason they moved to TSMC is because they had a functional 7 nm process and because they design their own SoC.  CPU & GPU.  They don't design their own screens.  And from the looks of it, since there aren't any rumors abounding about that possibility, they don't look like they will for any time.  Which means that the company capable of producing the best product, will get Apple's business.  And for the foreseeable future...that's Samsung.

5.  No one said they should.

Thanks for the 0 calorie reply.
    Oh, I read what you wrote, which is I why I made a detailed reply pointing out issues with your premise.

PS: Obviously Apple does design their own screens, or are you actually trying to argue that Samsung came up with the notch and chin-less design for the iPhone X which they then shared with Apple? What you're probably referring to is Apple designing their own OLED display tech for the current lot of devices, but you'd still need to modify that statement to denote Apple is rumoured to be designing their own display tech -and- that they also designed their own tech to make Samsung's middling display tech function at Apple-level standards.

You read it so carefully, you repeated everything I said...and then had nothing to add. Kudos.
    Btw, the screen technology that Apple is using in the X is developed by Samsung.  The shape of the screen and the case are Apple but the SCREEN was Samsung.  I'm sorry that bugs you.  But it's true.

The point still stands.  Apple will continue to use Samsung for the foreseeable future.  For a variety of components.  For MOST components in the iPhone XS and XI actually.  And that won't change as long as Samsung continues to lead with world class screens.

Whether it twists panties or not.
    Wrong. Apple designed their X screen tech, and contracted Samsung to produce the panels. That’s it. Gruber has talked about it on his podcast (he has friend inside Apple hardware). Manufacturing and designing are two different things. The samsung-made OLED panels in the X series look better than samsung’s because of it. 
    edited November 2018 Soli