Two devices supplying power to MBP, problems??

Posted:
in Genius Bar
I have a 2016 MBP connected to the world via an OWC Thunderbolt 3 hub.  The hub provides power (85 w) etc. The current monitor is direct connect usb-C to display port. I'm looking to upgrade to a USB-C monitor which also supplies power back (60W) to the connected device.  Talking with OWC, they said that if a device is supplying power and is connected to their hub, the hub will shut down all power transfer out to any connected device. Result, no power to my MBP. 

The other option is to direct connect the monitor to the MBP along with the hub. So now I have two devices trying to supply power to my MBP.  What will happen??  I tried chatting with Apple but they couldn't give me an answer.  There is no option to turn off power transfer in the monitor.

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Just tried apple again and talked with someone who had a setup very similar to this -- charger, MBP and USBC monitor.  No issues.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    Just tried apple again and talked with someone who had a setup very similar to this -- charger, MBP and USBC monitor.  No issues.
    I don't think OWC is right. The USB-C monitor you want to connect to is powered. When it plugs into the dock, the dock won't request power, so there won't be a negotiation. Your MBP is requesting power from the dock, so that's settled.

I've used both externally powered and not-externally powered USB-C monitors with an assortment of docks, and as long as the dock was rated to supply enough power to the display, it's been fine.