Apple Watch gains (PRODUCT)RED Sport Loop band

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited November 2018
Apple on Wednesday quietly released a (PRODUCT)RED color option for the Apple Watch Sport Loop, part of the proceeds from which will go to the Global Fund's efforts to combat HIV/AIDS.

Apple Watch Series 4

The new Sport Loop is available in 40- and 44-millimeter sizes, though these should also fit 38- and 42-millimeter Watches respectively. The accessory costs $49 in either format.

The only other (PRODUCT)RED Watch bands include versions of the Sport Band and the Modern Buckle.

Apple has sometimes been criticized for keeping the RED brand out of products that would make a meaningful contribution to the charity. Most of its RED-linked products are low-cost items like iPhone and iPad cases, the exception being the iPhone XR, which is priced anywhere between $749 and $899.

In 2017 the company responded with RED versions of the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus, followed by equivalents for the iPhone 8 and 8 Plus earlier this year. Unlike the XR, however, those options shipped well after other colors.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Looks like a Target Store brand watch band.
    mobird
  • Reply 2 of 11
    They are taking forever to make the Nike reflective sport loop available separate. It'd be awesome if Apple made all colors of the sport loops with reflective yarn.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member

Looks like a Target Store brand watch band.
    I read your comment before looking at it and I thought it would be the sports band.

I think it looks nice and classy.
    lovemn
  • Reply 4 of 11
    gutengel said:
    They are taking forever to make the Nike reflective sport loop available separate. It'd be awesome if Apple made all colors of the sport loops with reflective yarn.
    Agree all sport loops should be reflective as a safety measure for outdoor athletics.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    I find this whole project very incincere.

Do Apple declare exactly what % or amount is given to these charities?

And why are the product Red options NEVER avaliable at launch? When all the early adopters, with a lot of buying power, make their choices. 
  • Reply 6 of 11
    I don’t think HIV/AIDS has the same mind share as breast cancer/cancer in the USA.  I realize is still a big deal in developing countries, but it’s not something I’d purchase an ugly watch band over.

I’m not saying the cause of finding a cure isn’t important, but AIDS is very treatable...

It would be interesting to see who buys this Apple band.  Will it become a symbol of someone’s sexuality by wearing it?  Like wearing a black ring for swingers... time will tell.

• Reply 7 of 11
    I don’t think HIV/AIDS has the same mind share as breast cancer/cancer in the USA.  I realize is still a big deal in developing countries, but it’s not something I’d purchase an ugly watch band over.

I’m not saying the cause of finding a cure isn’t important, but AIDS is very treatable...

It would be interesting to see who buys this Apple band.  Will it become a symbol of someone’s sexuality by wearing it?  Like wearing a black ring for swingers... time will tell.

Who cares if it’s product RED. Maybe someone just wants a red band. I think it looks nice. Especially for the holidays,
    AppleExposedHumaneTechredgeminipa
  • Reply 8 of 11

You have not been asked to buy the  watch band or to speculate on the  sexuality of someone who does buy it.   Project(RED) raises funds for HIV/AIDS globally—people support it for humanitarian purposes without symbolizing being a person with HIV/AIDS.  Thank you for not saying that finding a cure isn’t important—indeed it is.  This is a global pandemic of a transmittable disease of a human retrovirus that still exists in the body when viral activity is undetectable.     You are UNinformed when you dismissively say that AIDS is very treatable.    The life-long treatments are tremendously expensive in the United States (unlike in developing countries) and access to these pharamceutical products is extremely problematic, fragile and erratic.  The long-term effects of taking these toxic medications are barely acknowledged or studied.   I’m skipping the black ring for swingers: huh?  Yes, time will tell, exactly what the Apple Watch does so very well, no matter how you secure it to your wrist.    
    redgeminipa
  • Reply 9 of 11
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member

If Apple donated just %1, that's more than any other tech company ever would.

The breast cancer thing in the U.S. is a huge scam. There was a report where they collected billions with zero advancement toward "the cure". It's also pretty damn sexist. Fu** them.

But let's critisize Apple only and ignore the rest of the world......

" Will it become a symbol of someone’s sexuality by wearing it?"

IGNORANT.
    gutengelredgeminipa
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Even more virtue signaling. 

How about Apple delivered what they promised, such as APFS support in High Sierra for Fusion drives? Keeping promises is also a virtue. 
  • Reply 11 of 11
    ElCapitan said:
    Even more virtue signaling. 

How about Apple delivered what they promised, such as APFS support in High Sierra for Fusion drives? Keeping promises is also a virtue. 
    Too much time and concern over how to spend a company's money on social causes vs. keeping a laser focus on delivering innovative products is how a company eventually loses their way. Look at GE. Today they're a shell of a company quickly heading toward irrelevance.
    ElCapitan