Apple could and should make a larger iPad Pro but it probably won't be 15 inches

Comments

• Reply 21 of 64
    I replaced my 12” MacBook with the new 12.9” iPad Pro with Smart Folio Keyboard and Pencil, and it’s now my primary “computer.” 

Mouse support? NO! I’m actually enjoying the idea that I have to break old habits, and actually lift my arm to do some things, instead of being lazy and just sliding around fingers. The Pencil helps with that, as well. I have no problem with text selection, as it’s easier on the iPad than it is on iPhone, thanks to the size. Also, there’s no searching to find where the damn pointer is, as I just tap where I need to be. It’s much faster and more intuative than using any pointing device, even the superb trackpad on modern MacBooks. 

I do miss some things about having macOS, especially if I have to format an external drive for something. I do have an old cheap Dell laying around for the rare occasions that I have to do something that the iPad and iOS can’t do... for now. 

So far, I’m not regretting my decision to give up macOS for the iPad Pro. It’s a huge speed boost over the Core M3 in the 12” MacBook. Is it perfect? No, it’s not, but I believe this could replace an actual computer for a large number of people. 

One huge advantage for iOS is the app selection, even if it can’t run 3rd party apps. There are so many quality iPad apps available, that most people wouldn’t miss much. 
  • Reply 22 of 64
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    ireland said:
    MOUSE SUPPORT!  What do we need to do to convince Apple that if the iPad supported a mouse, we would use it as our daily driver?  (as I type this on my MacBook Pro:) 

Yawn...   Yep!   More of the same...

Apple needs to start broadening out their product lines.  Too many users will not bend their functional needs to fit a very narrow product line from Apple.

The iPad is a tablet.   Period. 
    Disagree. With these new keyboards Apple is trying to bridge a gap. A trackpad mode would make the iPad much better for text editing in keyboard orientation.
    We agree.   When I said the iPad is a tablet, I meant it is restricted to that today.  a trackpad could open door after door for it.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 23 of 64
    MOUSE SUPPORT!  What do we need to do to convince Apple that if the iPad supported a mouse, we would use it as our daily driver?  (as I type this on my MacBook Pro:) 
    The Mac is for you then. People have learned to live without mouse for over 8 years with help of the iPad. The slowing laptop sells don’t seem to indicate people love trackpads & mice very much.
    With today's technology we shouldn't have to choose one OR the other.   Or have to buy two machines because each has been artificially restricted in what it can do.
    canukstormwilliamlondon
  • Reply 24 of 64
    ireland said:

Yawn...   Yep!   More of the same...

Apple needs to start broadening out their product lines.  Too many users will not bend their functional needs to fit a very narrow product line from Apple.

The iPad is a tablet.   Period. 
    Disagree. With these new keyboards Apple is trying to bridge a gap. A trackpad mode would make the iPad much better for text editing in keyboard orientation.
    We agree.   When I said the iPad is a tablet, I meant it is restricted to that today.  a trackpad could open door after door for it.
    Almost as if Apple & MS are converging on the same path with the iPad Pro and Surface Pro with the only difference being that the iPP is running a mobile OS while SP is running a desktop OS
    williamlondon
  • Reply 25 of 64
    lkrupp said:
    To those who want a cursor and mouse on the iPad, you already have such a device available. It’s called the MacBook Air.
    But then you lose the touch and portability.   We want both.  Not either / or.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 26 of 64
    The Mac is for you then. People have learned to live without mouse for over 8 years with help of the iPad. The slowing laptop sells don’t seem to indicate people love trackpads & mice very much.
    With today's technology we shouldn't have to choose one OR the other.   Or have to buy two machines because each has been artificially restricted in what it can do.
    Agreed
    GeorgeBMacwilliamlondon
  • Reply 27 of 64
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    "I want Apple to build the kit I want and I want them to give it to me at a price I will set."
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 28 of 64
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Steve would approve.

thtGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 29 of 64
    So, lagging laptop sales is due to a dislike of mice and trackpads?  Really?  LOL!!!!

Here's a mind-blower for you...Apple *could* add mouse capability, and guess what?...you don't have to use it!  You can actually go MOUSE-FREE and keep using the iPad like you always have!   Amazing!!  AND, for those of us that could use the functionality of using a mouse on an iPad, WE TOO could do that!  Imagine...everyone can do what they want!  

Never understood why people are so against mouse capability on the iPad when it doesn't affect them at all if they choose not to use one?  Think of mouse compatibility as an Accessibility feature...you know that section in Settings you never go to? 
    edited November 2018 GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 30 of 64
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    "What about a new iPad Mini? The current Mini 4 has a X8 inside and has not been really updated since the Mini 3 which has the same A8 inside. Talking 2014!
    What is really shocking here there is likely an executive at Apple wondering why sales stink.
  • Reply 31 of 64
    The only iPad form factor I like is the mini 4... I just find all the others too heavy and awkward to use.  
    also:
    I want a smallish phone (no bigger than iphone 8) with a head phone jack.  
    I want lots of ports on my laptop computer including an SD slot and at least one type A usb 3 because Docks suck.. 
    The new apple tv is way too expensive for what it is.  
    Apple watch is the only product I am remotely interested in, but that's mostly due to my curiosity around the fitness and health monitors.

I haven't purchased an Apple product since 2014 since they no longer make anything that I want.   I know that complaining here won't do anything but maybe.... 
    GeorgeBMacwilliamlondon
  • Reply 32 of 64
    thedbathedba Posts: 762member
    YP101 said:
    I don't think iOS require mouse or some sort of pointer support.
    Apple should implement new OSX to touch. OSX is getting old.
    They need shift to new area that Windows already there long ago.

It is time to Apple introduce new touch OS11.
    This will be separate from iOS to OS11 and iPad can be increase screen size. 13-15 inch.

The OS11 should have 2 version. 1 for full blown for Mac Pro, Macbook pro, etc.. Other for some what strip down to core function for iPad pro.(I would say IPad MAX means maximum functionality.)
    OS11 strip down version still you can install desktop application or iPad app.

New bigger iPad should start with 6-8GB RAM, 256GB SSD up to 2TB. And microSD card for data and copy photo from DSLR.
    This platform will be true test for Ax to intel CPU. If A13 or higher can take on Intel's i3 and i5 then Apple will introduce Macbook 12' and Air 13; will be replace from Intel by year 2021 or 2022.
    You want Apple to further subdivide their OS’s? Not going to happen any time soon, if at all. 
    The experiment of slapping on touch to a desktop OS hasn’t yielded the windfall that MS may have hoped for. The Surface line, which is supposed to be the holy grail of Windows devices hasn’t convinced enough buyers to surpass either the minuscule market share Mac or iPad.
    Developers on the Windows side haven’t jumped on the touch bandwagon to redevelop their apps and most users have stuck with what they’re already familiar, which is desktop mode. 

SD card slot will never happen on an iPad. They’ve removed it already from the MacBooks, do you honestly think they will reintroduce it on a future iPad?

• Reply 33 of 64
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    thedba said:
    YP101 said:

This will be separate from iOS to OS11 and iPad can be increase screen size. 13-15 inch.

The OS11 should have 2 version. 1 for full blown for Mac Pro, Macbook pro, etc.. Other for some what strip down to core function for iPad pro.(I would say IPad MAX means maximum functionality.)

New bigger iPad should start with 6-8GB RAM, 256GB SSD up to 2TB. And microSD card for data and copy photo from DSLR.
    This platform will be true test for Ax to intel CPU. If A13 or higher can take on Intel's i3 and i5 then Apple will introduce Macbook 12' and Air 13; will be replace from Intel by year 2021 or 2022.
    You want Apple to further subdivide their OS’s? Not going to happen any time soon, if at all. 
    The experiment of slapping on touch to a desktop OS hasn’t yielded the windfall that MS may have hoped for. The Surface line, which is supposed to be the holy grail of Windows devices hasn’t convinced enough buyers to surpass either the minuscule market share Mac or iPad.
    Developers on the Windows side haven’t jumped on the touch bandwagon to redevelop their apps and most users have stuck with what they’re already familiar, which is desktop mode. 

SD card slot will never happen on an iPad. They’ve removed it already from the MacBooks, do you honestly think they will reintroduce it on a future iPad?
    There wasn't one on the MacBooks or the iMac for ages, then suddenly there was; I wouldn't be so confident in never.  A fair few people said Apple would never put 64GB of DDR Ram in the MacBook Pro.
  • Reply 34 of 64
    thttht Posts: 5,421member
    Mocking up stuff! Love this type of stuff. I mocked this up in OmniGraffle on iOS on my 10.5:

The keyboard color still sucks, and window shadows need to be larger.

15” 4:3 displays
    0.25” bezels
    2 lbs (likely)
    Overlapping windows
    3 row keyboard layout with full horizontal and vertical key spacing
    Key swiping for alternate characters a la current keyboard
    A trackpad button to turn keyboard into trackpad (2 touch still there)
    Arrow keys
    Meta keys for the usual key combos

The keyboard layout seriously needs to be centered better, and some keys rearranged. Maybe off-centering to make it more approachable for people who grew up with keyboards whose design dates back 150 years, but there really isn’t any reason for the off-setting of key rows other than historical familiarity, like Roman carts determining the size of rockets 2000 years later.

Somewhere between 10” to 11” display is the maximum size for the a slate device to be considered a handheld device. 13” and larger slates or tablets are table top, laptop computers. You won’t be holding them up for usage for the vast majority of time. Then, overlapping app views, document views are inevitable the larger and larger you go.

Full screen and split screening of full screening of apps probably acceptable somewhere between 10” to 13”, but 15”, probably not. Overlapping is really required.

Then, I’m diametrically opposed to using a tablet like a laptop. It’s a nice accessory for those who want it, but the default state of a large iPad or tablet should be flat on a table with an onscreen keyboard.

• Reply 35 of 64
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Agreed
    Not agreed.  I'd rather have two items each specifically designed for its purpose than a hybrid that is a mess.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 36 of 64
    Apple just hate or forgets about updating their “Mini” products. Mac Mini did not get updated for 4 years and the iPad Mini has not been really updated since the Mini 3! Apple has no love for their “minis”. Minis are the forgotten Apple products that do not get much love!
  • Reply 37 of 64
    thedbathedba Posts: 762member
    crowley said:
    thedba said:
    YP101 said:

There wasn't one on the MacBooks or the iMac for ages, then suddenly there was; I wouldn't be so confident in never.  A fair few people said Apple would never put 64GB of DDR Ram in the MacBook Pro.
    And once upon a time, Apple was pushing FireWire technology until they completely replaced it with USB. So what’s your point?
    As for your second comment, which people were saying that? BTW, MacBooks don’t come with 64 GB RAM, today. The max is 32 GB. 
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 38 of 64

Ladies & Gentlemen, I give you the new Maxi Pad
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 39 of 64
    sabonsabon Posts: 134member
    If you aren’t interested in a bigger iPad, don’t buy one. But some of us would DEARLY love to have a bigger iPad. Just like there are quite a few people that REALLY miss the 17” MacBook Pros. Sometimes size does matter.

You think it would be too cumbersome. Fine. No problem. Don’t buy one. But it would NOT be too cumbersome for me. And no, iOS is not too limited FOR ME as it is now. I would love to be able to carry around a 15” or even a 17” iPad Pro to some place that inspires me. I could then draw and I could write and doing research with at least two full screen programs side by side (Scriviner and Safari plus maybe a skinny strip for my calendar or contacts, etc. taking up a sliver on the right or left or in the middle between the two apps.

I currently have a 12.9” iPad Pro. Trying to write in Scrivener while researching side by side with Safari does not work very well for me on my 12.9” iPad Pro. There just isn’t enough screen real estate for me. And yes, I use the “Smart” Keyboard for writing. I write so much that I literally wore out my first Smart Keyboard. It wasn’t damaged according to two Apple people. They ended up replacing my keyboard for free and kept my old one to send to Apple. 

Anyway. Just because something would be good for you doesn’t mean there aren’t people in the world where a 15” or even a 17” iPad Pro wouldn’t be perfect for them, meaning me.
  • Reply 40 of 64
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    I thought "more bigger is more better" was for Android?