US senators ask FTC to tackle rampant advertising in kids' apps for iPhone & other platfor...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    deceptive advertising practices? so kids can't be allowed in grocery stores, or any stores for that matter, the can't watch TV, they can't watch youtube, they can't look at billboards, and they can't go to sporting events. possibly transporting them back to the 1700s might keep them from seeing deceptive advertising practices! complete imbeciles!
  • Reply 22 of 25
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    nht said:
    supadav03 said:
    I kind of have mixed feelings on this one. While I don’t need/want more government involvement in these types of things, it’s very frustrating to download an app for my kids just to see it’s an ad-fest. I’m not concerned about them buying stuff since my password is required for all purchases and I have IAP turned off on their iPads, but it makes for an awful experience. Every few seconds they are whisked out of the app & into the App Store to buy something or download a related app. Then they come to me “I don’t know what happened. Can you get me back to the game?” it’s garbage. Feels sleazy, especially when it’s something supposedly made for pre-schoolers. Wouldn’t mind something being done. 
    Or you could give the kids some pencils and a stack of blank papers and let their imaginations go to work instead? Just an idea.
    Do you have kids?  Just an idea.
    I WAS a kid. It’s what I had when I grew up and it helped me use my imagination instead of relying on pre-imagined content from others. :)
    So you have no idea what it's like to be a parent and all of your "advice" and "conclusions" on this subject is theoretical...and in my opinion completely worthless.

The opinions of former parents that raised their kids in a different era (before iPhones) is only mostly worthless on the subject of digital access and control.  

Its a lot different than when there was only 1 TV in the house that got 3 channels.  Or even 100 channels from cable.  To not have a smartphone by high or even middle school puts your child at a disadvantage both socially and academically but it's a two edged sword that can cut deeply.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 23 of 25
    nht said:
    nht said:
    supadav03 said:
    I kind of have mixed feelings on this one. While I don’t need/want more government involvement in these types of things, it’s very frustrating to download an app for my kids just to see it’s an ad-fest. I’m not concerned about them buying stuff since my password is required for all purchases and I have IAP turned off on their iPads, but it makes for an awful experience. Every few seconds they are whisked out of the app & into the App Store to buy something or download a related app. Then they come to me “I don’t know what happened. Can you get me back to the game?” it’s garbage. Feels sleazy, especially when it’s something supposedly made for pre-schoolers. Wouldn’t mind something being done. 
    Or you could give the kids some pencils and a stack of blank papers and let their imaginations go to work instead? Just an idea.
    I WAS a kid. It’s what I had when I grew up and it helped me use my imagination instead of relying on pre-imagined content from others. :)
    So you have no idea what it's like to be a parent and all of your "advice" and "conclusions" on this subject is theoretical...and in my opinion completely worthless.

The opinions of former parents that raised their kids in a different era (before iPhones) is only mostly worthless on the subject of digital access and control.  

Its a lot different than when there was only 1 TV in the house that got 3 channels.  Or even 100 channels from cable.  To not have a smartphone by high or even middle school puts your child at a disadvantage both socially and academically but it's a two edged sword that can cut deeply.
    Complete nonsense. It's lazy parenting when it's easier to make the kids just be quiet and keep them entertained by handing them a new toy instead of engaging in their learning process. The "leaders of tomorrow" aren't spending all of their time playing Fortnite.
    edited November 2018
  • Reply 24 of 25
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    nht said:
    nht said:
    supadav03 said:

Complete nonsense. It's lazy parenting when it's easier to make the kids just be quiet and keep them entertained by handing them a new toy instead of engaging in their learning process. The "leaders of tomorrow" aren't spending all of their time playing Fortnite.
    What’s lazy is your inability to do any basic research and understand that school work is often web based (for which an iPad works okay) via google docs and drive, where communication of school events and clubs is through chat apps, and where kids social circles are largely coordinated through social media.

It has zero to do with “keeping them quiet” but functional students.  You are  arrogantly opinionated and ignorant...which is to say typical of internet discourse.

Congrats on achieving boorish mediocrity.

• Reply 25 of 25
    nht said:
    nht said:
    nht said:
    supadav03 said:

What’s lazy is your inability to do any basic research and understand that school work is often web based (for which an iPad works okay) via google docs and drive, where communication of school events and clubs is through chat apps, and where kids social circles are largely coordinated through social media.

It has zero to do with “keeping them quiet” but functional students.  You are  arrogantly opinionated and ignorant...which is to say typical of internet discourse.

Congrats on achieving boorish mediocrity.

You sound like a real peach. Enjoy the rest of your day.