Apple ships new model of Apple Watch Magnetic Charging Dock

Posted:
in Apple Watch
Apple has released an updated version of its Apple Watch Magnetic Charging Dock, but while the wireless charging accessory has gone on sale, it is unclear exactly what Apple has done to it to warrant releasing a new version of the charger.

The new Apple Watch Magnetic Charging Dock
The new Apple Watch Magnetic Charging Dock

Appearing in the online Apple Store, the Apple Watch Magnetic Charging Dock offers practically the same functionality as the original, offering a place for users to rest their timepiece while the battery is topped up. Larger than the standard charger, the circular charger can be used with the Apple Watch laid flat, or the central charging section can be raised so that the Apple Watch screen can still be viewed in nightstand mode.

The main sign that this is a new charging dock is the change of model number, as while the original had the number MLDW2AM/A, the new version bears the model MU9F2AM/A. Apple no longer stocks the old model in its online store, with consumers only able to buy the updated version.

A diagram from an FCC filing showing the Magnetic Charging Dock's regulatory labels
A diagram from an FCC filing showing the Magnetic Charging Dock's regulatory labels

It is unknown what is new in this version, as an FCC filing related to the accessory reveals no major changes in its RF testing, with the unit continuing to be able to output power at a maximum of 5 watts. The filing also reveals Apple requested the FCC withholds schematics and details of the antenna specification from public view, citing the need to keep trade secrets confidential, making finding out what has been altered a much harder task.

The fact that it has undergone testing does suggests some sort of internal refinement, as FCC regulations require documentation changes when transmitting power has been altered with no engineering changes, or if a product has changed sufficiently enough to justify new RF tests. This could include refinements to the antenna design used for transmitting power to the Apple Watch, the use of new materials in the transmitter, a capacitor array change, or any number of smaller alterations that don't necessarily introduce new features.

Apple is selling the new Apple Watch Magnetic Charging Dock for $79.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    One thing for sure, for $79 I'll be keeping my old model.
    cornchip
  • Reply 2 of 13
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    Qi standard charging?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 13
    1983 said:
    Qi standard charging?
    That would be a welcome change. 

Strange Apple does not release any notes about this ...and the apparently troublesome AirPower. 
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 13
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,921member
    razorpit said:
    One thing for sure, for $79 I'll be keeping my old model.
    My thoughts as well. Just what does this give you beyond the standard disc that comes with the Apple Watch? i can snap the standard disc on the back of my watch and it lays on its side perfectly - no pad required. 
    mwhitekingofsomewherehot
  • Reply 5 of 13
    1983 said:
    Qi standard charging?
    That would make it incompatible with the Apple Watch.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 13
    bonobob said:
    1983 said:
    Qi standard charging?
    Why? 
  • Reply 7 of 13
    bonobob said:
    1983 said:
    Qi standard charging?
    Why? 
    Because Apple Watch doesn't use full-blown Qi to charge. It may use technology from that standard, but Apple Watch doesn't use Qi to charge. This is why you can't just to get any charger you want for Apple Watch. 
    caladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 13
    I used my cheap 3D printer to print a stand for my AW3.  I placed the charger that came with it in there and it has worked perfect. Moves my watch up into nightstand mode and the ledge makes it easy to align so I get a perfect charge alignment every time.  Probably cost me $1 in materials and an hour to print.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 13
    macxpress said:
    Because Apple Watch doesn't use full-blown Qi to charge. It may use technology from that standard, but Apple Watch doesn't use Qi to charge. This is why you can't just to get any charger you want for Apple Watch. 
    I wonder if that has anything to do with their inability to get the AirPower mat to market?

watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 13
    airnerd said:
    I used my cheap 3D printer to print a stand for my AW3.  I placed the charger that came with it in there and it has worked perfect. Moves my watch up into nightstand mode and the ledge makes it easy to align so I get a perfect charge alignment every time.  Probably cost me $1 in materials and an hour to print.  
    Post a photo, please.
    watto_cobraairnerd
  • Reply 11 of 13
    DovDov Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Could be because of the 44mm size being larger than the prior 42mm. I have the old one, and my 44mm S4 has trouble staying upright - the attached band pulls it down at an angle, and at least once I've woken up to a watch that didn't charge overnight.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 13
    macxpress said:
    I wonder if that has anything to do with their inability to get the AirPower mat to market?

Partially yes. I think it has to do with multiple technologies put into 1 charging pad and making them all work seamlessly without any user fuss and the ability to charge the device safely when placed on the mat. 
    edited November 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 13
    airnerd said:
    Post a photo, please.
    Not sure if I know how to do that, let me try.  This isn't my watch or photo, but this is the device and plans I used.  I don't own the file (they are free) and don't want to get sideways with anyone thinking I'm advertising for another site.  If I can post the link I will, or I can message to anyone.

I can snap a picture of my actual unit, but mine is in black PLA just like this one.  Mine even has the extrusion lines like this :)
    spheric