Ill-informed YouTuber bemoans Apple repair policies after breaking iMac Pro

191011121315»

Comments

• Reply 281 of 290
    ArmorpiercerArmorpiercer Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    but why they can't just refuse in such a manner? they just said it in a way we think they have no capable to repair it (in the one of the videos, they waited for 2 months to get refused because of "we can't obtain the parts needed to repair it" instead of refused due to unauthorized tampering)
  • Reply 282 of 290
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    This whole thing is a hot mess.

Who in their right mind would be so careless with a $5,000+ device if it was unintentional?

The closed up, glued together please do not touch anything assembly of the Black iMac is a prime argument against buying one or even considering one for purchase. Beyond that, their attitude concerning repairs is not consumer friendly.

Not sure who at Apple decided that owners should never be able to repair, upgrade or even access to clean the insides of their devices, but would love to hear their justification for building stuff that way. Imagine how much easier the battery exchange program would have been had Apple just made iPhones with user accessible battery compartments in the first place. Instead of huge long lines in Apple stores they could have just mailed them out or handed them to customers in the store.
  • Reply 283 of 290
    davgreg said:
    This whole thing is a hot mess.

Who in their right mind would be so careless with a $5,000+ device if it was unintentional?

The closed up, glued together please do not touch anything assembly of the Black iMac is a prime argument against buying one or even considering one for purchase. Beyond that, their attitude concerning repairs is not consumer friendly.

Not sure who at Apple decided that owners should never be able to repair, upgrade or even access to clean the insides of their devices, but would love to hear their justification for building stuff that way. Imagine how much easier the battery exchange program would have been had Apple just made iPhones with user accessible battery compartments in the first place. Instead of huge long lines in Apple stores they could have just mailed them out or handed them to customers in the store.
    These idiots were too stupid to unlplug their $5K machine before stumbling around in there, then dropped and broke the display when they arced the display against the board frying whatever else in the process. Do you ever have anything positive to say? Why are you even here?
  • Reply 284 of 290
    I see. Across 15 pages of this thread, from April 2018 to November 2018, this tech vlogger Linus is just another uninformed Youtube idiot with a prejudiced view towards Apple.  Thats fine, that's the prevailing opinion here, fair enough. But to dismiss him as "ill-informed" and other potshots leveled at Linus, I'm curious how many of you have sampled a variety of his works over the years. You're speaking about one of the top twenty most respected tech vloggers on the web.

Now granted, popularity has never been and never will be a predictor or indicator of high quality and integrity, but have you ever sampled some of his other works beyond this iMac repair thing? He's got a wildly envied depth of knowledge across many entire categories of tech— despite his intentional packaging as an entertaining vlogger. 

So who is OK and respected as a tech vlogger?  Marques Brownlee ? Or does he too have a prejuduced view towards Apple? Is Linus really just some flunkie out to get 'em? 

TOP 3

Another video to hate:

• Reply 285 of 290
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    quicksite said:
    I see. Across 15 pages of this thread, from April 2018 to November 2018, this tech vlogger Linus is just another uninformed Youtube idiot with a prejudiced view towards Apple.  Thats fine, that's the prevailing opinion here, fair enough. But to dismiss him as "ill-informed" and other potshots leveled at Linus, I'm curious how many of you have sampled a variety of his works over the years. You're speaking about one of the top twenty most respected tech vloggers on the web.

Now granted, popularity has never been and never will be a predictor or indicator of high quality and integrity, but have you ever sampled some of his other works beyond this iMac repair thing? He's got a wildly envied depth of knowledge across many entire categories of tech— despite his intentional packaging as an entertaining vlogger. 

So who is OK and respected as a tech vlogger?  Marques Brownlee ? Or does he too have a prejuduced view towards Apple? Is Linus really just some flunkie out to get 'em? 

TOP 3

Another video to hate:

I'm not certain what your point is. The only thing you've proved is Linus has viewers. That doesn't mean he knew what he was talking about in the first video. It's fantastic that he's got the talent and the audience that he does -- which makes it all the more important when he screws up something as badly as this, that he's called out on it.

Linus generally does good work. His second and third videos on this topic were much better. The one that we wrote this editorial about was terrible, and factually incorrect on a number of points, and like I've said about 10 times in this thread, a five-minute call to his co-host on the third video, Louis Rossman, would have resulted in some education that he needed before he published his first video.

Having an audience and being an influencer as put forth in your link (which does not necessarily mean respected, as you imply it does) does not make somebody immune from correction or criticism.
    edited November 2018
  • Reply 286 of 290
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Why is this thread still open? All I’m seeing are sycophants that someone (Linus?) wound up and pointed in this direction. At this point it’s just beating a dead horse iMac Pro that some idiot didn’t unplug before trying to disassemble.
    edited November 2018 fastasleepliquidmark
  • Reply 287 of 290
    Stop kissing up to Apple! Apple is on the wrong path and you know it!

This is why I turned the back on Apple.

Apple is not a computer company anymore. They make sleek portable devices, which are not designed to be repaired or serviced. Face it, pro users are not their target group, for quite a while. It's all about running a fancy brand with a huge margin, that's it.

Apple's computer used to be pretty good. The "Apple tax" was okay for the fact, that pretty much everything just worked without much tinkering.

Today, the "Apple tax" is insane and the hardware is not acceptable for pro users. You can not even open the devices to clean the dust out of the fans, or upgrade RAM and SSD. The new MacBook Pros have everything soldered directly on the main board, just to be some inches thinner and to restrict users in upgrading them. It's just insane on how Apple is obsessed with making their devices as thin as possible, while sacrificing ports and upgrade options, causing thermal issues and making their hardware brittle.

Now regarding repair: my 2011 MBP's GPU died, and I got new logic board from Apple, back then. This was a common problem and Apple was forced to "fix" the MBPs for free, however. Replacing the boards was not a real fix, as the new boards developed the exactly same issue. So, what is Apple's repair service worth? Nothing! - No efforts to address the root of the problem.

Yes, Apple may write somewhere in the fine-print the right to refuse repairs. And this gives them the legal backing for what they do.  But being more lenient won't hurt. Furthermore, this behavior drives me even further away from Apple. If Apple claims to be a "green" company, then they should be proactive in helping users to use their devices as long as possible.

I am done with Apple.
  • Reply 288 of 290
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

OH and SURPRISE SURPRISE THEY ENDED UP FIXING IT THEMSELVES
    I guess Apple didn’t stop them from fixing it after all then. Imagine that.
    They had to go via back channels and call in favours that probably wouldn't have been available to them had they not been a popular YouTube channel.  Apple did just about everything they could to stop them.
  • Reply 289 of 290

Federal law says you can repair your own things, and manufacturers cannot force you to use their own repair services.

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/ne9qdq/warranty-void-if-removed-stickers-illegal-ftc

Appleinsider's argument is against federal law where you have the right to repair.  Manufacturers cannot void warranty just because the product is opened up. 
    Apple isn’t stopping them from fixing it themselves. They just aren’t helping them facilitate the repair. If they want to fix it themselves, then they just need to fix it.

The machine was in working order before they opened it up and broke it. The machine is now out of warranty because they broke it through their own purposeful action. 
    Apple designs their products in a way, that they easily break, when you take them apart.

Also, try to disassemble a new MBP using just traditional shaped screwdrivers. - Good luck!

Yes, they broke it, however. This is not the point, as the screen can also break on accident, when moving office or so. The problem is the same. Parts for a current product must be available.

Also, in order to clean the dust out of the fans, you need to be able to open a computer. Otherwise the fans will clog up eventually and cause overheating. - I can understand, that this might not apply to people, who use their Apple products only in professional cleanrooms, however. Most computers are used at home or in an officeenvironment, where there is dust.
This discussion has been closed.