Zuckerberg told Facebook execs to stop using iPhone after Tim Cook privacy comments

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    Maybe Facebook should stop supporting iOS altogether. No Facebook app for you, Apple. What Zuck is asking is quite ridiculous as plenty of those executives would be unhappy to switch to Android OS if they're already in the iPhone ecosystem. The things Tim Cook is saying about Facebook certainly isn't untrue so Zuckerberg shouldn't be taking offense.
    radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 41
    M68000 said:
    macxpress said:
    Yes, don't use an iPhone, use an insecure Android device to match our FaceBook service. 
    Beautiful !   LOL...    and I wonder how Mr. Zuckerberg would like it if iPhone users deleted their facebook accounts in very large numbers... ?   After all,  nobody really needs facebook when you think about it.

Despite that viewpoint, we use Facebook as part of our marketing and customer engagement. On that front, it's very successful, for us as a small business. Beats all other platforms available. We need to go to where people are, and can't expect them to come to us.
  • Reply 23 of 41
    Enjoy...

watto_cobralostkiwi
  • Reply 24 of 41
    GadgetFreak22GadgetFreak22 Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Poor little Zucky-Boy...he butt hurt bad.  :'(
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 41
    gilly33 said:
    Well I can always delete the little temper tantrum twit’s app from my iOS devices. So there. Now I’ll have a temper tantrum. 😝 Zuckerberg! 

What took you so long?
    watto_cobralostkiwi
  • Reply 26 of 41
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,095member
    I guess Zuckerberg should also do away with the MacBook Pro he's been using and demand that all the Macs being used at FB's headquarters in Menlo Park be removed as well.

I'm sure he knows how much ad revenue he makes from iOS users.  
    watto_cobralostkiwi
  • Reply 27 of 41
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    widmark said:
    Absolutely he and everybody else have a responsibility to finger those who are harvesting our data for profit. Zuckerberg is even harvesting data on non users... why, because he can and it makes him money. He’ll say that Apple is just being elitist because it’s users can afford its expensive devices and don’t need to be subsidized by “free” software like Facebook and Android which harvest your data instead. What he is really saying is, Facebook is taking advantage of those who can least afford (or have little understanding) to avoid a deep and aggressive exploitation of their data trail. FB has turned freedom from personal data exploitation into a luxury.

We need regulation on data privacy yesterday... this won’t stop until we do.  It’s too profitable. Facebook is on a tear to exploit the undeveloped world where many think Facebook is the phone OS it’s so universally relied on. Credit to Apple that they haven’t succumbed and are taking a stand.
    Great post.  I love when someone comes along and recasts an issue to shine light on what’s really happening.  And you just did so, succinctly.  
    edited November 2018 christopher126watto_cobralostkiwi
  • Reply 28 of 41
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Maybe Facebook should stop supporting iOS altogether. No Facebook app for you, Apple. What Zuck is asking is quite ridiculous as plenty of those executives would be unhappy to switch to Android OS if they're already in the iPhone ecosystem. The things Tim Cook is saying about Facebook certainly isn't untrue so Zuckerberg shouldn't be taking offense.
    ———————
    To: Management team

Shoot that messenger, and stop using his hardware!
    - Zuck

sent from my iPhone
    ———————
    edited November 2018 macseekermuthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 41
    Definers????? Sounds like some sort of Millennial Superhero 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 41
    galfridus said:
    Targeted advertising is nothing new, so not sure why you're upset. 
    Except it’s not about “targeted advertising.” People aren’t up in arms about that—they’re incensed by the way the advertising tools were used and abused and Facebook’s unwillingness to even look at it till it became a PR issue for them. PBS just ran a two-part story about FB on Frontline and The New York Times published a piece about what happened today: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/14/technology/facebook-data-russia-election-racism.html

The reality is Facebook is far beyond “targeted ads” and it’s disengenious to suggest as much.
    Maybe you didn’t read the comment I was replying to. They said, “Even then, I get ads from places that FB should have no idea about.” which is literally targeted advertising by definition. 
  • Reply 31 of 41
    GHammer said:
    Does anyone you know actually have a FB app of any sort installed on their phone, Apple or otherwise? If I have to go there for some family thing, I use a browser. I use a FB container in Firefox to visit that site. Even then, I get ads from places that FB should have no idea about. Scum.
    I don't have it on my phone. I don't really have any social media apps on my phone as I don't use them enough to warranty needing the app. 

That being said, if even half (hell even a quarter) of iPhone users deleted the FaceBook app off their iPhone FaceBook would shit themselves. 
    watto_cobralostkiwi
  • Reply 32 of 41

danvm said:
    widmark said:
    Absolutely he and everybody else have a responsibility to finger those who are harvesting our data for profit. Zuckerberg is even harvesting data on non users... why, because he can and it makes him money. He’ll say that Apple is just being elitist because it’s users can afford its expensive devices and don’t need to be subsidized by “free” software like Facebook and Android which harvest your data instead. What he is really saying is, Facebook is taking advantage of those who can least afford (or have little understanding) to avoid a deep and aggressive exploitation of their data trail. FB has turned freedom from personal data exploitation into a luxury.

We need regulation on data privacy yesterday... this won’t stop until we do.  It’s too profitable. Facebook is on a tear to exploit the undeveloped world where many think Facebook is the phone OS it’s so universally relied on. Credit to Apple that they haven’t succumbed and are taking a stand.
    I find interesting how you criticize FB for harvesting users data, and at the same time mention how Apple "haven’t succumbed and are taking a stand.", when Google pays them $9B to keep Google Search the default search engine.  Don't you think that if Apple is really taking a stand, as you said, they would reject Google offer and use another search engine with a better privacy record? 

https://9to5mac.com/2018/09/28/google-paying-apple-9-billion-default-seach-engine/
    You know that you do have a choice, right? And, if you chose not to exercise that choice, you -- and others like you -- deserve what you get?
    You mean how I always switch my default search engines to Duck Duck Go? 
    fastasleepwatto_cobralostkiwi
  • Reply 33 of 41
    wood1208 said:
    Tim Cook has right to brag about Apple's Privacy stand and implementation in it's products but no need to point finger against others in neighborhood(silicon valley) if they come short on privacy. Facebook's bad karma will teach Mark lesson to fix Privacy problems as customers raise their voice against shortcomings..

There's a history of failed companies who believed that "the better product will win".

Bad Karma is not a strategy, and you don't want to win customers just because the other guys' products are bad, but because yours are better.

If you want to win because your products are better, that isn't enough, you have to actively tell people why they're better. That means explaining that other companies in the neighborhood come up short.

edited November 2018 watto_cobralostkiwi
  • Reply 34 of 41
    Wonder if it is possible to also get Definer like companies to circulate rumors and "articles" about supply chain cuts or soft product demand in order to get back at a company.
    watto_cobralostkiwi
  • Reply 35 of 41
    Correction:
    As expected, Cook, a stanch proponent of data privacy,

"... a staunch supporter." Ones stanches a hemorrhage ... or the flow of personal data to Facebook. 
    radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 41
    Down with Facebook, I never had an account, never required it, divorced a wife over it and to hell with facebook. In the famous words of Jim Carrey who just pitched in about Mark and it's FaceBook operation.... 01000110 01110101 01100011 01101011 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00101110 00100000 00001101 00001010
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 41
    macxpress said:

danvm said:
    widmark said:

I find interesting how you criticize FB for harvesting users data, and at the same time mention how Apple "haven’t succumbed and are taking a stand.", when Google pays them $9B to keep Google Search the default search engine.  Don't you think that if Apple is really taking a stand, as you said, they would reject Google offer and use another search engine with a better privacy record? 

https://9to5mac.com/2018/09/28/google-paying-apple-9-billion-default-seach-engine/
    You know that you do have a choice, right? And, if you chose not to exercise that choice, you -- and others like you -- deserve what you get?
    You mean how I always switch my default search engines to Duck Duck Go? 
    Me too...and I avoid 3rd party free apps as much as I can. 
    watto_cobralostkiwi
  • Reply 38 of 41
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    The whole privacy thing isn't working out for Apple. If people really cared Android would be nowhere.. and google search and facebook would be defunct. 
  • Reply 39 of 41
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,409member
    danvm said:
    widmark said:

Yo know who have a choice too?  Apple.  And they decided to use Google as default for Safari in iOS or macOS.  And here is were things get confusing.  You have this company (Apple) who take a "serious stance" with privacy, and at the same time takes $9B from a company (Google) with privacy issues.  Does it makes sense to you what Apple is doing from a privacy POV?
  • Reply 40 of 41
    Enjoy...

Hilarious. Thanks for sharing 👍