Apple makes SIM-free version of iPhone XR available in the United States

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple has started to offer the iPhone XR in a SIM-free option in the United States, with the most recent iPhone release now able to be acquired without it being provisioned for one of the country's four major carriers.

The online Apple Store showing the SIM-free iPhone XR option
The online Apple Store showing the SIM-free iPhone XR option

New iPhone releases are usually offered to customers in the United States as being activated to work on AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, or Verizon's networks, with the carrier selectable during the ordering process. A separate option to "Buy without a carrier" provides customers with a SIM-free device, which can be activated with any carrier at a later time.

For the release of the iPhone XR in the United States, the SIM-free option was notably missing, with customers forced to select a carrier if they were ordering through the online Apple Store. For customers who want to use a different carrier, this caused problems as the carrier-specific versions offered are not necessarily compatible with the other networks when unlocked, with varying support for different LTE bands.

On Thursday, Apple added the option to acquire the SIM-free version for U.S.-based customers. The SIM-free variant is usually the most compatible option for most mobile networks, and is also the handiest for travelers who would prefer an unlocked device so they can easily swap the SIM card out for a local carrier when in a foreign country.

It is unclear exactly why the SIM-free version was delayed for the iPhone XR in the United States. In other markets, SIM-free model options were offered right from when the iPhone XR was first made available.

The SIM-free version of the iPhone XR costs the same as the carrier-specific versions, priced at $749 for the 64-gigabyte capacity model and rising to $899 for the 256-gigabyte variant.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    wonderwomanwonderwoman Posts: 9unconfirmed, member
    How is the dual sim mode with this device?
  • Reply 2 of 11
    I think it’s just an agreement with the major carriers to give them priority they probably pay for the privelage 
  • Reply 3 of 11
    There was a fifth stealth carrier on launch of all three iPhones - Xfinity Mobile which runs on the Verizon network. I got an interest free two year loan for my $1,449 GOLD 512GB Xs Max @$60 a month. Received it on launch day Friday Sept 21 - sim-free. Had to install Xfinity Mobile’s nano sim.

Unlimited Talk & Text is only $1.27 in taxes. Cell data is $12/GB but the first 100MB is free. So I just have all the Cell Data switches OFF and run all data exclusively on WiFi for free. 🤪
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 4 of 11
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    There was a fifth stealth carrier on launch of all three iPhones - Xfinity Mobile which runs on the Verizon network. I got an interest free two year loan for my $1,449 GOLD 512GB Xs Max @$60 a month. Received it on launch day Friday Sept 21 - sim-free. Had to install Xfinity Mobile’s nano sim.

Unlimited Talk & Text is only $1.27 in taxes. Cell data is $12/GB but the first 100MB is free. So I just have all the Cell Data switches OFF and run all data exclusively on WiFi for free. ߤꦬt;/div>
    Huh?
    Comcast (mobile) is running on Xfinity's Verizon's* network?
    .... Isn't that like Ford using a Chevy engine in its F-150?

I find that, in combination with the upcoming rollout of 5G, to have some interesting possibilities.

* Corrected typo -- I meant to say Verizon
    edited November 2018
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Comcast is Xfinity. The way it was explained to me is: Verizon was needing financial help several years ago to complete their network - Comcast helped out and is now exercising their right to use Verizon's network. And they aren't charging much for it!
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 6 of 11
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    marklark said:
    Comcast is Xfinity. The way it was explained to me is: Verizon was needing financial help several years ago to complete their network - Comcast helped out and is now exercising their right to use Verizon's network. And they aren't charging much for it!
    Thanks -- yeh, I meant to say Verizon.   Thanks for reading my mind!

But I still find that kinda amazing!
  • Reply 7 of 11
    George - as Multimedia said, the price is right: I paid $12 last month for 4 of phones with unlimited talk and text. As a bonus, Comcast is paying me $100 for each of the 3 iPhones that I migrated (offer expired now) and $200 for the iPhone 8 that I bought for my wife -- after a few months of continued service, of course.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 8 of 11
    marklark said:
    George - as Multimedia said, the price is right: I paid $12 last month for 4 of phones with unlimited talk and text. As a bonus, Comcast is paying me $100 for each of the 3 iPhones that I migrated (offer expired now) and $200 for the iPhone 8 that I bought for my wife -- after a few months of continued service, of course.
    I was mostly curious because Comcast teaming up with Verizon sounded a bit like cats & dogs teaming up.

But too, I've been curious about Comcast claim that you can save data by using their extensive WiFi connections.   Since I don't I hang out very often at coffee shops and use my own WiFi here at home it didn't sound like much of a benefit.   But it sounds like its working for you.   How is that?   Are you really using their hotspots?  Or do you just not use much data?
  • Reply 9 of 11
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member

Unlimited Talk & Text is only $1.27 in taxes. Cell data is $12/GB but the first 100MB is free. So I just have all the Cell Data switches OFF and run all data exclusively on WiFi for free. 🤪
    Been doing that for over a year now. 4 iPhones for grandparents and 2 elementary kid with cell data off: $0/month on these...the fifth one for me and it has unlimited data for $45! The bad news is: Xfinity doesn’t support e-SIM.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    At last! I am not going to pay $1k for phone,but on the other hand I read reviews for Android competition their sites and as much as I would like to switch now to Android I have no choice and keep myslef locked in iPhone issues that I have seen for last five years. Now having said that XR is okay, but I will have to resolve ssue of missing jack and poor qulaity adapter from Apple (see reviews on Apple website before you jump on me).
  • Reply 11 of 11
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,293member
    At last! I am not going to pay $1k for phone,but on the other hand I read reviews for Android competition their sites and as much as I would like to switch now to Android I have no choice and keep myslef locked in iPhone issues that I have seen for last five years. Now having said that XR is okay, but I will have to resolve ssue of missing jack and poor qulaity adapter from Apple (see reviews on Apple website before you jump on me).
    Buy a pair of AirPods with your X-R and you will forget about the flipping headphone jack and swear off ‘droids forever.