Apple News committed to different political views while avoiding 'filter bubble' & fake ne...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2020
At Apple News, Apple is trying to represent different political views without stumbling into some of the pitfalls of modern journalism, the service's editor-in-chief explained to Australian newspaper.

Apple News on iPhone

"Misinformation can come out so quickly and spread so rapidly and that's something that we take pride in not allowing to happen. Our mantra is that it's better to be accurate than first," Lauren Kern told The Sydney Morning Herald. Kern was only hired around May 2017, coming from New York Magazine.

Networks like Facebook, Twitter, Gab, and WhatsApp have frequently been used to spread false rumors or intentionally faked news. The Russian government wields social media to influence U.S. elections, for instance, and Facebook has been accused of doing too little to deter hate rhetoric ahead of the Rohingya genocide in Myanmar.

Apple is interested in "having publishers from different parts of the political spectrum," Kern continued, but doesn't want people getting trapped by clickbait or ideological bubbles Facebook algorithms can spawn.

"In general, outrage clicks well," she said. "People like to read within their own filter bubble. That's not something we want to encourage here."

This agenda stems in part from CEO Tim Cook, according to the company's VP of apps, Roger Rosner.

"Tim Cook very quickly saw the critical social impact, the value to society, of this sort of effort," Rosner said. "He told us early on we needed to make a priority of helping journalism thrive, of helping democracy in an increasingly challenging world. We are trying in our own, small way, to build a little bit of a shared reality here, and mend some of the polarization."

The Apple News app is installed by default on every iOS device.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    News stories/articles that reflect a wide spectrum of viewpoints is always the best solution.
    newBeliever
  • Reply 2 of 12
    “People like to read within their own filter bubble.”

I’d imagine it’s probably pretty easy to post with one’s own filter bubble in mind, too.  
    gatorguylkrupp
  • Reply 3 of 12
    In Apple News I follow the news sources and topics I’m interested in. How does Apple prevent filter bubbles unless they decided what you see but then isn’t that just their filter bubble?
  • Reply 4 of 12
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    If they are primarily getting their news from the MSM, there is a filter-bubble built right in.
    monstrosityirelandequality72521williamlondon78Bandit
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Given that Apple is Communist China's henchman in helping enforce the great firewall and blocking any news critical of the communist party, their claims here about defending balanced news are hilarious.
    monstrositywilliamlondon
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Given that Apple is Communist China's henchman in helping enforce the great firewall and blocking any news critical of the communist party, their claims here about defending balanced news are hilarious.
    Apple is just a hardware maker in China. They have to abide by their rules. While you were standing on your moral pedestal, they were actually making money.
    Thrashmanleavingthebiggredgeminipapropodequality72521williamlondon
  • Reply 7 of 12
    ThrashmanThrashman Posts: 22unconfirmed, member
    Actually- I noticed the majority of the articles were left leaning.

I hope I’m wrong.  If Apple ends up picking sides - it probably won’t end well on their P&L.
    monstrosityequality72521tnet-primarywilliamlondon
  • Reply 8 of 12
    cgWerks said:
    If they are primarily getting their news from the MSM, there is a filter-bubble built right in.
    True, but not all their sources are mainstream. Also, they tap writers from across the spectrum.
    monstrosity
  • Reply 9 of 12
    I liked it better when I was treated like a grownup and no one thought to make sure my reading habits were ideologically diverse enough.  Something tells me that isn’t the actual goal anyway.
    monstrosityThrashmanequality72521designrcgWerks
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Nonsense. Massive bias. I removed it from my phone entirely. Mainstream lies.
    Thrashmansfprops
  • Reply 11 of 12

How can it have massive bias when you choose what you want to see?
    redgeminipa
  • Reply 12 of 12

How can it have massive bias when you choose what you want to see?
    Don’t confuse anyone with facts. 
This discussion has been closed.