Poor news curation at Bloomberg, CNBC, Reuters creating misleading iPhone supply chain pan...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    I believe it's all Warren Buffett's during. Not these "reputably reports and analyst." Buffett is driving down the prices in a hostile take over. 

(just in case, I am being sarcastic) 

Please forward your story to all the above analyst and news outlets. 
    Thank you, Daniel Eran Dilger

Gadzooks sir! No!

While I believe DED is one of the best journalists out there when it comes to interpreting Apple numbers (PED and Horace Dediu are also must-reads), his annoying habit of backing up solid analysis with facts and numbers runs the risk of shortening time of the stock dips. I might miss out! 

edited November 2018 StrangeDaysmelodyof1974magman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 37
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    I explain this before, the supplier are down grading the forecast because they just found out they did not have 100% share of the 5 new products apple release this fall. They probably gave analysis some big number think they would continue being Apple's primary source of their components only to find out Apple have another source they develop and is now using them.

If you do not think Wall Street and the media idiot know this, they do, but their success of driving people out of Apple Stock is success for their investors. The market is going nuts, and if they drive apple down with the entire market all the better since the Big guys have been pulling money out of the market for the last months, now it time to drive it lower so they can buy in on everyone FUD.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 37
    rob53 said:
    Kuyangkoh said:
    softeky said:
    "Bloomberg drawing the wrong collusion from the facts at hand" A Freudian slip?
    Aren’t these news outlets liable for thier wrong reporting that causes Apple stock to go down?? Where they were wrong all the time??
    this is like stock manipulation and they make money out of it...
    there should be law against this, just my thought 
    No. They get away with all sorts of things but Elon makes a simple comment and he’s dragged through the ringers. News agencies get away with everything. Yes, they need to be held responsible but as Daniel has always said nobody except Tim Cook knows who all Apple’s suppliers are so trying to hammer Apple because a few suppliers aren’t getting as much work as they used to doesn’t mean much to Apple. 
    It wasn't a simple comment and his punishment was just. As CEO of a public company he can't assert as fact things that are not ('the investor money is all ready to go!') willy nilly. SEC rules exist for a reason, to prevent people from investing under untrue claims. 
    magman1979tmaySpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 37
    silvergold84silvergold84 Posts: 107unconfirmed, member
    Well done. A good article. Finally someone honest. This speculation against Apple is absurd. 
    StrangeDaysmagman1979watto_cobraneil anderson
  • Reply 25 of 37
    This article had me laughing my leg off. It takes some considered thought and interpretation, to reach beyond the headlines, to make sense of the sensationalist “Apple analyst” bs. When that’s done right, as this article nailed, those guys are now DED in the water. 

Here on this website I guess we all support a free press. We can appreciate the dark side of this though. These analysts reporting fabricated nonsense are materially hurting investors with little or no regard to the repercussions. I wouldn’t be surprised too see an individual or organisations litigate against this in future. Who knows, maybe even Apple themselves?!
    sacto joemagman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 37
    Saw two huge spikes in AAPL this morning. Must be Buffet or Apple buying.
    scribe1964watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 37
    FAANG stocks are officially in a bear market.

melodyof1974
  • Reply 28 of 37
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,663member
    avon b7 said:
    "Finisar, the company that Apple invested $390 million of its $1 billion Advanced Manufacturing Fund into last December to help it build a Texas manufacturing facility dedicated to VCSELs, specifically aimed to provide Apple with access to a supply of advanced components that were slated to begin "shipping components in the second half of 2018."

Apple didn't invest in Finisar:

"Questions have arisen regarding news reports of Apple Inc.'s ("Apple") announcement this morning regarding a $390 million award to Finisar Corporation ("Finisar"). Apple has not made a debt or equity investment in Finisar. The amount referred to by Apple represents anticipated future business between the companies over a period of time."

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1094739/000110465917073092/a17-28415_18k.htm

"As a key supplier to Apple, Finisar's business prospects were so attractive that II-VI Incorporated just paid $3.2 billion to acquire the company a week ago. It's unlikely that would that have happened if Finisar's VCSEL business were actually collapsing due to poor sales of the new Face ID iPhones"

I doubt Apple's business with Finisar had much to do with the takeover. Finisar's bread and butter is within the telecom's industry but Finisar has been under pressure for some time in that area so any new space for its technology is welcome - but not just from Apple, but all players in that space.
    The article doesn't say Apple made "a debt or equity investment in Finisar," it says Apple's Advanced Manufacturing Fund invested the money to help Finisar build a facility. 

Not sure what your nebulous distraction comes from, maybe a google search. But you are wrong, and there's still a plant in Texas producing VCSELs used new iPhones, the "troubled supplier" in the news was formerly making all of them.

As for the acquisition: the article again said the opposite of what you are claiming. It wasn't that Apple's business with Finisar prompted the takeover, but rather that it wouldn't be swooping in to buy if it were a "troubled Apple supplier."

Once again, shocking that you rush to defend lies and try to invent problems with the simple truth laid out here. 
    What is shocking is your reply.

The statement I quoted came direct from Finisar as a result of reporting in the media at the time. Look at where the word 'invested' links to. That is the word that was widely used at the time (and rehashed in this piece) and which provoked the statement in the first place! If anything, Apple invested in its own interests to guarantee supply.

In your second point, you are claiming I claimed something which I didn't, so I will let that crash to earth all by itself.
    edited November 2018
  • Reply 29 of 37
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,921member
    There was panic? I quit taking any of these rumors seriously long ago.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 37

FAANG stocks are officially in a bear market.

Now compare those company's P/E, and tell me which drops are justified and which are not.
    magman1979watto_cobraneil anderson
  • Reply 31 of 37
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    And then there's the WSJ story that's tanking AAPL this morning. An update?
    Square is down 10%, Google is down 3.82%, compared with Apple being down 3.96%, Microsoft is down a similar percentage, Amazon is down 5%, most chip stocks are down more than 4%.  Those are all at the market close, so it’s not just Apple.  
    magman1979watto_cobraneil anderson
  • Reply 32 of 37
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    "Finisar, the company that Apple invested $390 million of its $1 billion Advanced Manufacturing Fund into last December to help it build a Texas manufacturing facility dedicated to VCSELs, specifically aimed to provide Apple with access to a supply of advanced components that were slated to begin "shipping components in the second half of 2018."

Apple didn't invest in Finisar:

"Questions have arisen regarding news reports of Apple Inc.'s ("Apple") announcement this morning regarding a $390 million award to Finisar Corporation ("Finisar"). Apple has not made a debt or equity investment in Finisar. The amount referred to by Apple represents anticipated future business between the companies over a period of time."

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1094739/000110465917073092/a17-28415_18k.htm

"As a key supplier to Apple, Finisar's business prospects were so attractive that II-VI Incorporated just paid $3.2 billion to acquire the company a week ago. It's unlikely that would that have happened if Finisar's VCSEL business were actually collapsing due to poor sales of the new Face ID iPhones"

I doubt Apple's business with Finisar had much to do with the takeover. Finisar's bread and butter is within the telecom's industry but Finisar has been under pressure for some time in that area so any new space for its technology is welcome - but not just from Apple, but all players in that space.
    The article doesn't say Apple made "a debt or equity investment in Finisar," it says Apple's Advanced Manufacturing Fund invested the money to help Finisar build a facility. 

Not sure what your nebulous distraction comes from, maybe a google search. But you are wrong, and there's still a plant in Texas producing VCSELs used new iPhones, the "troubled supplier" in the news was formerly making all of them.

As for the acquisition: the article again said the opposite of what you are claiming. It wasn't that Apple's business with Finisar prompted the takeover, but rather that it wouldn't be swooping in to buy if it were a "troubled Apple supplier."

Once again, shocking that you rush to defend lies and try to invent problems with the simple truth laid out here. 
    What is shocking is your reply.

The statement I quoted came direct from Finisar as a result of reporting in the media at the time. Look at where the word 'invested' links to. That is the word that was widely used at the time (and rehashed in this piece) and which provoked the statement in the first place! If anything, Apple invested in its own interests to guarantee supply.

In your second point, you are claiming I claimed something which I didn't, so I will let that crash to earth all by itself.
    Do you not know when to STFU when you’ve been proven not to know WTF you’re talking about? You’re like this in ALL the trash you spew!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 37
    Nice job Daniel!  Yes, these “experts” as well as their publications should be sued...called class action!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 37
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    This is the kind of analysis that both "analysts" and "the media" are incapable of doing, it would seem.  

Now, that doesn't mean that there isn't something to glean w.r.t. iPhone sales (and this is mostly a result of reading Neil Cybart at Above Avalon). 
    - It is entirely possible that iPhone sales are trending lower than last year a bit.  This might be the reason for Apples Q1'19 guidance that some thought conservative.  So it is already baked into the Apple revenue projections on record
    - Difference in sales mix of models, between projections and reality.  A similar phenomenon played out a bit last year.  Apple makes their initial build plans on models, and if the mix is different, it can impact some suppliers.  It is quite possible that iPhoneXR is selling less than model, perhaps the Xs models are more, or iPhone 8 continues to sell well.
    - iPhones are retaining value longer.  Lasting longer.  More grey market sources.  Means people can get a good iPhone, but they are not buying it from Apple.

As others have mentioned, this stock decline is about sentiment (no one liked the disclosure change) and momentum, IMO.  For a company with gobs of free cash, such a decline allows them to buy back even more stock, which will have a greater increase on future EPS.  Nothing wrong with that.  

I am not worried about buying on the dips, even if it goes a bit lower.  That is due to Apple's PE already being conservative.  Can't say I have same confidence in purchasing Amazon, Netflix or FB on similar dips...
    magman1979
  • Reply 35 of 37
    BLOOMBERG's Gurman is so consistently wrong about Apple that I simply mute the TV or change channels when he appears. There is no shortage of competent geeks in their assembly of staff and guests; but, sadly, Gurman has apparently decided to represent the niche of pre-judging analysts who have a short to sell.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 37
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,293member
    Thanks DED for the great article...much appreciated.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 37
    It's analysis like this that give those who pay attention an edge. The herd stampedes because people fear that someone knows something they don't. Ignorance is the root cause of fear. Information like the type presented here gives we readers a distinct advantage over the stampeding herd.