watchOS 4 no longer lets you browse iPhone music library on your Apple Watch

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 53
    T-RoyT-Roy Posts: 1member
    Funny how you gain functionality when you update other brands but with Apple you consistently lose functionality. Why am I still buying this stuff???? This was one of my most used features. 😡
    anonymist
  • Reply 42 of 53
    I know this will do little, but to vent I signed here:
    https://www.change.org/p/apple-watch-os-4-iphone-music-source-function

I also wrote a little blurb on hackernews:
    https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=15495548

Maybe Apple will read this?

So angry that they took away this feature. I love being able to view my entire iPhone library via my watch. 
  • Reply 43 of 53
    Let’s hope Remote IOS app will have an associated complication which can deal w iphone... that is the best way for Apple to escape this misfeature... Apple’s engineers, some work is waiting for you urgently...
  • Reply 44 of 53
    I use my watch to teach music and movement classes to preschoolers. I used to be able to view my playlists, choose a specific song in a playlist, quickly switch to a different playlist...all crucial options and the whole reason I purchased the watch. I updated last night and today my watch was useless. I need to ability to use my watch as a remote for my iPhone and that option no longer exists. Hoping Apple will get on this right away and give us this option back. Otherwise I need to find a new option. 
  • Reply 45 of 53
    Thank god I read this!

I was very, very close to picking up a Series Three. I won't be doing that until they fix this issue.

The ability to browse, play and control the music on the iphone was my favourite feature of the first iteration of apple watch. I'm not a person who uses playlists and I don't want to be restricted to the 2 GB limit, which is why I am excited for the ability to stream music. Sometimes you're not in a position to do that though and you have to fall back to offline options. 

From what I've read, you can browse your library over WiFi/cellular IF you subscribe to Apple Music. Could this be part of the reason for the change, I wonder? In any case, that doesn't solve the problem.

Oh well, guess I'll have to keep checking back until they sort it out. 
    edited November 2017
  • Reply 46 of 53
    I have a new Watch 3 non-cellular & an iPhone 6 Plus. I also have Apple Music. 

In my setup, I've found that the playlist issue is non-existent as long as my Watch has some sort of access to the internet, either directly through local WiFi or through my iPhone's cellular capability. Whenever I am in the Watch Music app, there is a drop-down menu in the lower lefthand corner which allows me to access & select from the contents of the playlist. And I can pick & choose what the next song will be.

On the other hand, the Now Playing function - can't really be called an app - is nothing more than a remote control for anything you are playing on of the iPhone - podcasts, Audible, Spotify, whatever - just like the inline controls on a wired headphone. 

It does not appear to me that getting the cellular version of the Watch will change any of the problems people have. I've come to the conclusion that what Apple is trying to do is push people toward Apple Music. If you pay the $10 a month for the AM subscription, you get access to all your music - on any Apple device you have, as far as I can tell, so long as that music resides in the Cloud - plus any Apple Music songs you.ve downloaded to any device, phone, pad or mac.

Judging from what I've read on this comment thread, downloading your playlists to your Watch won't solve the problem if you don't have Apple Music. I do know that when I'm out of a WiFi network & want to use the Music app to access even my Watch stored songs, I have to turn on cellular on my iPhone to make it happen. (I have to wonder what will happen if I'm in a dead zone - I'll bet it won't work.)

Bottom line: without Apple Music, you don't get granular control of your iTunes music, and there's an end on it. 

• Reply 47 of 53
    HdowHdow Posts: 2member
    Notwithstanding my conclusion in my prior comment about needing Apple Music to get granular control of your songs, I see that:

"Apple also confirmed to AppleInsider at Tuesday's release event that an Apple Music subscription is not required to stream music to the device using LTE. Users with iTunes Match subscriptions can stream owned music as well." 

Obviously, LTE would let your Watch access the internet like it does through your iPhone's cellular function. So I read the above to mean that an iTunes Match subscription will give you the same functionality for the Watch Music app as an Apple Music subscription. Does anyone have that situation - i.e., iTunes Match but not Apple Music? Do you have granular control of your playlists etc? Because an iTunes Match subscription is a whole lot cheaper than an Apple Music subscription...

On the other hand, maybe all Apple meant is that you would have the Now Playing functionality...
  • Reply 48 of 53
    nhughesnhughes Posts: 770editor
    Hdow said:
    Notwithstanding my conclusion in my prior comment about needing Apple Music to get granular control of your songs, I see that:

"Apple also confirmed to AppleInsider at Tuesday's release event that an Apple Music subscription is not required to stream music to the device using LTE. Users with iTunes Match subscriptions can stream owned music as well." 

Obviously, LTE would let your Watch access the internet like it does through your iPhone's cellular function. So I read the above to mean that an iTunes Match subscription will give you the same functionality for the Watch Music app as an Apple Music subscription. Does anyone have that situation - i.e., iTunes Match but not Apple Music? Do you have granular control of your playlists etc? Because an iTunes Match subscription is a whole lot cheaper than an Apple Music subscription...

On the other hand, maybe all Apple meant is that you would have the Now Playing functionality...
    I have iTunes Match but not Apple Music, and it works great on the Apple Watch Series 3 with cellular.
    anonymist
  • Reply 49 of 53
    I for one no longer trust Apple. There was absolutely no reason to remove the feature other than to force people to start streaming music. It gives a giant finger to those who own their own music library by buying CDs, vinyl or downloading. Strange since the iPod which started all this was encouraged people to rip the music from their own CDs. I bought a product, it worked well. I used the music feature almost daily. Now I'm angry every time I want to play that is on my phone. Please don't say I can create a playlist for my watch. Can my watch hold 30GB of music? Why should I spend time figuring out what should be on my watch when previously I had all my music available?

What function will Apple remove next? Maybe it will be the ability to tell time. Afterall that feature doesn't produce any revenue for Apple like Apple Music, Apple Pay or Apple's slice of all the phone plan fees collected around the world. Think it's time to take a serious look at Android. I sure won't be buying another Apple Watch.
    anonymist
  • Reply 50 of 53
    I am also frustrated by this change. But I do have some hope.

There is an app called "Static" that replicates this feature right now on watches with watchOS4. I have a Series 2 and it works, although it doesn't work as well as Apple's used to. I created an account to post this as I do find it to be a serviceable alternative. 

Apple has mistreated its customers and I won't be upgrading to a Series 3 any time soon, if ever, depending on what happens. I no longer buy music from iTunes anymore either, because I do not trust their intentions. But I hope they have indeed left it open for third party developers to include this functionality into their apps. Hopefully Ecoute or Cesium soon develops a watch app that performs this function as well and I will never have to use Apple's music app ever again. Sort of like how Apple never had a podcast app that allowed similar kinds of browsing on the watch, but apps like Overcast do (and do it very well). Sometimes I think Apple just acknowledges their bloated apps aren't that great and they leave it to developers who are more skilled.

DJC1983
  • Reply 51 of 53
    I thought I was losing my mind! All of the sudden one day at the gym I got really confused as to why there were only like 3 playlists on my phone. I have several playlists on my phone and one of the reasons I bought the watch in the first place was so that I wouldn't be one of those people sitting on the machine staring at their phone. It made it great for me to be able to just keep my phone in my pocket, untethered by cords with the AirPods, using my watch to switch between playlists. Then one day, poof!...gone. So guess what, Apple?...I put the damn series 3 watch on eBay last week and sold it. It's a good thing I never bucked up and bought the stainless band I was eventually gonna get around to buying. I can understand adding features, but this was a huge selling point for me, and at that, really about all I used to watch on the watch. Do I enjoy getting my wrist buzzed for every notification all day, feeling like some kind of pavlovian science project...no, I don't (and yes I know they can be disabled). Do I enjoy my watch telling me to get up and move around, when I already work out 5 times a week?...not really. Is it fun to have to charge yet another device?...no. Is it tedious to return texts on the tiny screen?...yes. Does opening my front door with the watch or using ApplePay at the grocery store save me that much more time than pulling my phone out of my pocket...nope. I'm done here. That was a $400 wasted (after the eBay money I got back from the sale).
    DJC1983
  • Reply 52 of 53
    I really miss being able to pick out any of over 2600 songs that i have on my phone. I work in a big lab and can't get to my phone all the time but my watch is with me. So I'm limited to one Artists at a time. I was thinking of getting an Apple Watch 3 may need to look at other devices.
  • Reply 53 of 53
    Argh... let me pile on ... this is still a mess in iOS 12 and WatchOS 5.  The "Music" complication of the phone doesn't allow proper control of playlists of the iPhone.
    Like others, I have my music as files, create playlists and have the music and playlists download to the phone, which I use to play the music - it has a big battery and a headphone jack (6plus).  So all I want to do is use the watch as a remote control for the iPhone playing the music.  The music complication lets one play a playlist on the phone, select the next track., prior track, control volume and pause/resume.  BUT there is no option to SHUFFLE or REPEAT.  The shuffle is the feature I want - because when I kick off my 2000 song playlist on the phone from the watch, I do not want to listen alphabetically, meaning hearing the same damn song every time I start driving in the car.

Jezzus apple engineers (or is it the managers) some of the thickest or most masochistic jerks on the planet.

I'm not going to subscribe to apple music, or other streaming service.  Not now, not ever.  Stop trying to force me to do so.