MacBook 2016 (A1534) with popping noise around the hinge

Posted:
in Genius Bar
It has that popping sound when I adjust the display, sometimes holding it on the corner can cause that happen too.
I know that some MacBook Pros are experiencing similar issues, but haven't seen any future update since 2017.  Is this issue got fixed in later models?  Are there any solutions?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    DuhSesame said:
    It has that popping sound when I adjust the display, sometimes holding it on the corner can cause that happen too.
    I know that some MacBook Pros are experiencing similar issues, but haven't seen any future update since 2017.  Is this issue got fixed in later models?  Are there any solutions?
    I get it rarely in my 2016. Haven't heard it at all in the 2018.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    DuhSesameDuhSesame Posts: 1,278member
    DuhSesame said:
    I get it rarely in my 2016. Haven't heard it at all in the 2018.
    I did little research and here’s a more recent post: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/macbook-pro-2018-pop-sound.2132473/

I’m not a mechanical engineer, but I think that could be the reason.  Obviously, not every MacBook have this issue, and I don’t think there’s a second hinge supplier.

From what I've learned, the popping noise mostly came from the up left corner, and I can felt something is crackling when I hold the MacBook.  Last time when I re-applied the thermal paste, I tried to turn the screws on the hinge, and it's much tighter than rest.  Maybe I will try again before Christmas to see.
    edited November 2018