Hands on: Boosted's flagship electric skateboard, the Stealth

Posted:
in iPhone edited May 2019
We're taking an adventurous turn here at AppleInsider by checking out an iPhone-connected gadget you can ride: Boosted's top-of-the-line electric skateboard, the Stealth.

Boosted Stealth

Boosted debuted on Kickstarter six years ago, and in 2014 launched its first three board models. Since then -- helped in no small part by hype from YouTube celebrities like Casey Neistat -- the company's boards have become some of the most sought-after, challenged mainly by the likes of Onewheel and Evolve.

Boosted's products are now in their third generation, characterized mainly by the company's switch to in-house parts such as the trucks and deck, and the addition of two smaller boards, the Mini S and Mini X.

The Stealth is a longboard like previous Boosted boards, but no longer uses a bamboo deck, instead turning to a composite design combining poplar, fiberglass, and foam. The company has also reinforced the edges to reduce wear, and done away with a mid-section taper -- the result is a flexible yet pretty sturdy-feeling board with more foot space. Other upgrades include metal pulleys and wider, Boosted-made 85-millimeter wheels.

Boosted Stealth

As someone with relatively little skateboard experience, these changes made me feel a little more confident in stepping on, especially since the Stealth starts out in a "Beginner" ride mode that caps speed at 11 miles an hour and stops you from attempting hills. Make no mistake though: unless you've been on an electric skateboard before, expect to take several days learning how to comfortably balance and carve. You'll also want to wear a full assortment of safety gear, not just a helmet, until riding becomes second nature.

It'll be a little while before I can test another feature, Hyper Mode. This is an option exclusive to the Stealth, with even more acceleration than the Boosted Plus and a top speed of 24 miles per hour. From what I've seen online only the brave need apply, and it comes at the cost of battery life -- while the board can otherwise last up to 14 miles, that figure gets cut in half.

The Boosted iPhone/iPad app lets you estimate range, update firmware, and track and share rides. You also get an odometer, and notifications when a board is finished charging. None of this is strictly necessary.

Boosted iPhone app

If you have an Apple Watch you can check speed and battery percentage on the fly. I should say that you'll need to load the app before you start riding, and in practice I found that I was often too focused on balance or steering to safely raise my wrist.

Keep following AppleInsider in coming weeks for a full review, including video of the Stealth in action.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Warpfactor10Warpfactor10 Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Save yourself 1200bucks n just buy a Meepo, Wowgo or Ownboard for under 400! Do not buy belt drive type e-board unless you enjoy maintenance every 200miles. The only advantage Boosted has is a bit more tork. For under 300bucks, get a Yee Play Electric Skateboard- dual hub motor with good enough specs! Am current owner of Halo Board Carbon, Koowheel gen2 and Skatebolt previous version. 
    GeorgeBMacrazorpit
  • Reply 2 of 7

The article ended rather abruptly - like you suddenly fell off the board!

Looking forward to the full review.

GeorgeBMacjbdragonrazorpitSpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 7
    I agree. These things are way overpriced. Bought a BlitzArt board for a 100 bucks and works great. And hey if it breaks I can buy 10 more for the price of one of these.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 7
    zachinlazachinla Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    bought a teamgee electric skateboard at 1/3 of the price of boosted board. up to 22 miles speed and 11 miles range. the only con is no apple ios app. https://teamgee.com/collections/skateboard/products/teemgee-h5-37-electric-skateboard-with-drop-through-deck
    edited November 2018 GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 5 of 7
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Save yourself 1200bucks n just buy a Meepo, Wowgo or Ownboard for under 400! Do not buy belt drive type e-board unless you enjoy maintenance every 200miles. The only advantage Boosted has is a bit more tork. For under 300bucks, get a Yee Play Electric Skateboard- dual hub motor with good enough specs! Am current owner of Halo Board Carbon, Koowheel gen2 and Skatebolt previous version. 
    Any one of those would have been awesome back in the 80's when I had a full news paper bag AND had to kick myself up hills.  :D
    edited November 2018
  • Reply 6 of 7
    razorpit said:
    Any one of those would have been awesome back in the 80's when I had a full news paper bag AND had to kick myself up hills.  :D
    As an owner of both a boosted stealth and wowgo i can say they’re it the same. The cheap chinese boards are great beginner boards because they’re slow and can help you cruise around. However as you become used to an electric power you want something faster. That’s where the boosted stealth comes in with faster acceleration, better braking power and a more flexible dexk you won’t see the boards the same again.
    longboardreviewd