Need new Macbook Pro Battery Replacement for Late 2011 and a few other mods

Posted:
in Genius Bar

Hey all,

I am hoping to get some help with this. So I have a late 2011 MacBook Pro Late 2011 15" that i use for DJing. I have no intentions of upgrading the model but want to improve performance. I have updated the ram to 16GB and this was done approximately 2 years ago.

One big issue is the battery. I attempted to go to the Apple Store but they told me my Macbook is "vintage" and no longer have the parts to replace the battery. On that note can anyone make any reputable recommendations for replacements? I cannot afford to have issues with this computer

Additionally, I am looking at upgrading the HD. It is currently a 750GB HD that was installed when I initially purchased it, but am looking at upgrading possibly to Samsung EVO 850 SSD 1TB. Does anyone have thoughts on this? Or if there may be a better model?  Debating between the EVO and PRO

Lastly, my Macbook gets warm (to what I consider hot) on the left side near the speaker. Not sure if there is actually anything wrong but would appreciate if anyone can make any suggestions of what that could be.

With my DJ program there is some lag and ultimately that is why I am looking to make these upgrades.

Any & all help is much appreciated

Thanks in advance

Jimmy

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator

Hey all,

I am hoping to get some help with this. So I have a late 2011 MacBook Pro Late 2011 15" that i use for DJing. I have no intentions of upgrading the model but want to improve performance. I have updated the ram to 16GB and this was done approximately 2 years ago.

One big issue is the battery. I attempted to go to the Apple Store but they told me my Macbook is "vintage" and no longer have the parts to replace the battery. On that note can anyone make any reputable recommendations for replacements? I cannot afford to have issues with this computer

Additionally, I am looking at upgrading the HD. It is currently a 750GB HD that was installed when I initially purchased it, but am looking at upgrading possibly to Samsung EVO 850 SSD 1TB. Does anyone have thoughts on this? Or if there may be a better model?  Debating between the EVO and PRO

Lastly, my Macbook gets warm (to what I consider hot) on the left side near the speaker. Not sure if there is actually anything wrong but would appreciate if anyone can make any suggestions of what that could be.

With my DJ program there is some lag and ultimately that is why I am looking to make these upgrades.

Any & all help is much appreciated

Thanks in advance

Jimmy

The 2011 has SATA 2-- The advantages you'd get from the Pro are mostly rendered irrelevant by that. The Evo, or just about any 2.5-inch SSD give that you're not on SATA 3 will be fine. As far as the battery goes, look to OWC for a replacement. 

If this is a single point of failure, preventing you from working if it conks out, you need to consider either a second unit, or something newer and send the 2011 to the backup bin in case of a failure. You don't need to go new, but do consider something additional.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    Not at home right now but I did this a few years back. From memory:

1. If you don't already have the screwdriver for the screws on the battery, get a battery that includes one in the box.

2. When removing the screws on the underside of the MBP, remember which holes they came out of. Some are longer than others.

3. Follow an iFixit teardown or similar if you need a refresh on the process since you upgraded the RAM.

4. Mine doesn't get too hot and I think the logic board sits on the left side. Do you ever hear the fan ramp up?

5. I think I went for the Samsung pro SSD (512GB).

The machine flies compared to its stock configuration.

Good luck!
  • Reply 3 of 3
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    I just checked my system. It's early 2011 (not late 2011) and I went for the Samsung Pro (512GB on offer) and 16GB of RAM. This means I don't know if the internal distribution of your system so the heat might be being caused by something different although I believe the designs should be largely the same between the two models.