Review: Opso is the only Apple Watch charger you need for on the go

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited January 2021
Opso is a minimalist charging dock designed for Apple Watch with an internal battery to be sure you'll never run out of juice while on the go.

Opso Apple Watch battery pack
Opso Apple Watch battery pack

Whenever I'm hitting the road, I always struggle with what to do with my Apple Watch. I need a charging puck to bring with me but the original one that shipped with my watch is far too long or already encased in a dock. I've looked at many third-party alternatives which offer shorter lengths for less than Apple and even the new USB-C version Apple dropped. None of these really fit the bill for what I was looking for. They all came with their own compromises.

I've been bringing OPSO's new Apple Watch battery pack with me for all my recent travels and think I've finally landed on the first Apple Watch charger for on the go that don't also have a series of compromises.

What it is

The OPSO battery pack is a small palm-sized device that stores a 2100mAh battery behind a standard Apple Watch charging puck. That is enough for roughly four full days of Apple Watch use.

Opso Apple Watch battery pack Lightning port
Opso Apple Watch battery pack Lightning port

To power up OPSO, there is a Lightning port which makes a world of difference. If you are on the road for more than four days and find yourself needing to charge OPSO, you simply use the same cable you use for your iPhone. That's one less cable needed when space can be a commodity.

Opso Apple Watch battery pack and Lightning cable
Opso Apple Watch battery pack with Lightning cable

There are a host of uncertified Apple Watch adapters, and we don't recommend any of them. The OPSO is a happy exception -- Apple has certified the device though their Made for Apple Watch program, including the Lightning port. That guarantees compatibility and reliable charging.

Opso Apple Watch battery pack power button
Opso Apple Watch battery pack power button

Construction

The body of OPSO is covered in one of two materials -- leather or fabric. We tried out the fabric model and appreciated the soft material wrapping the enclosure. If you've tried the Mophie USB-C powerstations, it isn't too dissimilar to that fabric which has received rave remarks.

Because of that detail, We felt more comfortable with our band resting against that rather than an unadorned metal or plastic case. OPSO has a bean-shaped curve to it that is comfortable in the hand while holding it, as well as makes it easier to clasp a band around the device.

Opso Apple Watch battery pack Nighstand mode
Opso Apple Watch battery pack Nightstand mode

Looking back at my original complaints about Apple Watch portable charging, OPSO addresses all our concerns. There is no permanently attached cable, but when it does need to be plugged in it uses a cable you already have. It is small and portable, well-built, and Apple certified. And most of all, it lets us go away from the home base for days at a time without having to worry about charging my Apple Watch.

Rating: 5 out of 5

Where to buy

OPSO is available to order now on Kickstarter with shipments scheduled to commence shipping in January for $39 -- a slight premium over a standalone Apple Watch charging puck.

Remember, this is a Kickstarter and your backing OPSO helps them come to market and isn't a guarantee that the product will succeed. However, as we've already tested the viability of the product, it is certified through Apple, and OPSO has been putting out products for years, we are very confident it will be delivered to customers.

OPSO - A Power Bank Refining How You Charge Apple Watches -- Kicktraq Mini

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    J.PetersenJ.Petersen Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    It's too bulky and I'm trying to be more portable when I travel, so I don't really see how it's better than the charger that comes with the apple watch already, which is super compact. The attached cable don't bother me. I've never had an apple cable brake, ever. I roll them correctly when I pack them away and keep my apple accessories in a separate pouch. I CAN see how the battery function can be cool, but I've never had an issue with my battery on my apple watch running out in a day. I charge it every night and there isn't an issue. I'd MUCH rather see an option that could charge the apple 3-pack. Phone, watch and iPad. Such charger is about due. And this is coming from someone who travels 5 month out of the year.
    edited November 2018 StrangeDays
  • Reply 2 of 17
    payecopayeco Posts: 580member
    5v/1a charging input for a battery of that size, at that price, is pretty pathetic in 2018.

For that price you could get an Anker PowerCore 6700 with a battery 3 times the capacity and the same physical size; and a 4 inch MFi Apple Watch charging cable and just stick it to the Anker battery with double sided tape. Plus, then, you’d have the opportunity to plug your phone in to charge it if you’re in a pinch.

Also, that price $39 is a Kickstarter discount from the future retail price. They expect to be charging $54 (!!!) for this thing when it hits stores.
    edited November 2018
  • Reply 3 of 17
    Uh...I have had the IQIYI [MFi Certified] Apple Watch Charger for a while now (a few months). It 2100mAh(7.8Wh) battery as well. $35 on Amazon. So the OPSO can't be the only one.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Pretty neat, but I'll wait for a USB 3 version.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    crowley said:
    There is no data involved here. USB version is irrelevant.
    dewmesandorwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 17
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    payeco said:
    crowley said:
    It's not irrelevant for the cable you need to have handy.

I meant USB C, not 3.
    edited November 2018 sandor
  • Reply 7 of 17
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,332member
    That is one of the only Apple Watch charging accessories that looks reasonably impressive. The power sourcing option is nice and the form factor works. The only complaint I have is the inability to use it in nightstand orientation with the charging cable attached, which is my most frequently used docking scenario. I suppose you could lay it upside down with the cable sticking up in the air. Not a show stopper.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 17
    crowley said:
    payeco said:
    crowley said:

I meant USB C, not 3.
    The charger in the article uses lightning. Do you not have an iPhone?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 17
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    dewme said:
    That is one of the only Apple Watch charging accessories that looks reasonably impressive. The power sourcing option is nice and the form factor works. The only complaint I have is the inability to use it in nightstand orientation with the charging cable attached, which is my most frequently used docking scenario. I suppose you could lay it upside down with the cable sticking up in the air. Not a show stopper.
    As I read it, the battery should be able to charge a watch four times before it needs to be recharged itself. If you leave the battery charging in your hotel room, for example, during the day, you would never run into that issue.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 17
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    crowley said:
    payeco said:
    crowley said:

I meant USB C, not 3.
    Just get a dongle - that’s what Apple expected you to do for every thing else.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    MplsP said:
    crowley said:
    payeco said:
    crowley said:

I meant USB C, not 3.
    No they don't. They expect you to buy the proper cables for your hardware, which varies. It's not terribly difficult to buy what you need, plus then you don't have to whine about it for years on end. Win-win.
    randominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 17
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    MplsP said:
    crowley said:
    payeco said:
    crowley said:

I meant USB C, not 3.
    No they don't. They expect you to buy the proper cables for your hardware, which varies. It's not terribly difficult to buy what you need, plus then you don't have to whine about it for years on end. Win-win.
    Or they could include ports compatible with the most common standard in the industry, including every iOS device and watch they sell so you don’t have to buy addintional cables or dongles, or worry about compatibility with friends and colleagues devices. Win-WIn.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    sandorsandor Posts: 655member
    MplsP said:
    MplsP said:
    crowley said:
    payeco said:
    crowley said:

I meant USB C, not 3.
    Or they could include ports compatible with the most common standard in the industry, including every iOS device and watch they sell so you don’t have to buy addintional cables or dongles, or worry about compatibility with friends and colleagues devices. Win-WIn.

They haven't since the days of SCSI when Wintel was ATA, ADB, etc.
    Typically going with what they perceive as better for their ecosystem.
    USB-C is actually a welcome shift that will hopefully become ubiquitous in the next 2-3 years.

After 30+ years of using Apple products, i have learned to live with it, because they haven't (won't) change that approach.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 17
    How about reviewing real products that are actually shipping. When you order something through kickstarter, you may or you might not ever see the product. 

I ordered an AI recommended  product from Kickstarter. It arrived from China. Took forever to get and no company to call or email. Didn’t work properly. I was very disappointed. 

First product I ordered never arrived. Should have learned from that experience. 

Please review real products that ship from the USA. I don’t mind  if it’s made in China, but I would prefer dealing with a company that has an office here and is sold through American outlets, e.g., Amazon, Best Buy, Apple. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 17
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    MplsP said:
    MplsP said:
    crowley said:
    payeco said:
    crowley said:

I meant USB C, not 3.
    So USB is no longer a standard? And USB-C ports on the newest Macs is no longer the newest version of said standard? What are you smoking man? You're the kind of guy still crying in his cup about the lack of serial and parallel ports, too. Get real.

Also, you're confused. A cable is different than a dongle. Haters like to say "dongle" because it's a stupid-sounding word, but you don't need dongles when using the native cable, which you can pick up in 5 seconds on Amazon.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 17
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member

sandor said:
    MplsP said:
    MplsP said:
    crowley said:
    payeco said:
    crowley said:

I meant USB C, not 3.

They haven't since the days of SCSI when Wintel was ATA, ADB, etc.
    Typically going with what they perceive as better for their ecosystem.
    USB-C is actually a welcome shift that will hopefully become ubiquitous in the next 2-3 years.

After 30+ years of using Apple products, i have learned to live with it, because they haven't (won't) change that approach.
    Hey, why try to understand the shifts of technology and design decisions when he can just whine endlessly about the world not conforming to his wishes? "But I waaaant it!"

I like your way better.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 17
    Please review real products that ship from the USA. I don’t mind  if it’s made in China, but I would prefer dealing with a company that has an office here and is sold through American outlets, e.g., Amazon, Best Buy, Apple. 

I hear you - the article could have made it clearer at the beginning that it's a kickstarter.  

But OPSO do sell their other products through Amazon - and I'm sure once it's out of kickstarter that this charger will be for sale on Amazon too.

I appreciate having the 'early bird' option.