iOS 12 now on 75 percent of compatible devices, hit mark faster than iOS 11

Posted:
in iOS
Third-party analytics data suggests the adoption of iOS 12 on active iPhones and iPads has reached 75 percent, continuing a trend where the latest milestone release of Apple's mobile operating system continues to outpace iOS 11.

A graph showing iOS 12's adoption rate, according to Mixpanel's data
A graph showing iOS 12's adoption rate, according to Mixpanel's data

According to data from analytics firm Mixpanel, iOS 12 achieved 75.01 percent penetration of active iOS devices on November 26, marking the first time it was seen to be used on three quarters of compatible devices. The data also reveals the level has continued to increase slowly since then, reaching 75.06 percent on November 28.

By contrast, iOS 11 is shown to be going down at a similar rate. On November 26, iOS 11 was used on 19.58 percent of compatible devices, with the remainder consisting of older iOS releases.

The results show that, at least by the measuring mechanisms used by the firm, iOS 12's adoption rate is continuing to outpace that of iOS 11 last year, by a considerable margin. In 2017, iOS 11 reached the 75 percent barrier on December 18, with the release taking a few weeks longer.

Initial data for the first 48 hours of iOS 12's release suggested it was actually lagging behind iOS 11 by a few percentage points, though later results showed growth of iOS 12 had improved.

While the adoption data is useful, the firm acquires the information via indirect means, such as by acquiring analytics data from various sources, rather than from Apple directly. This does make the results potentially inaccurate, but the changes in adoption over time is still a good indicator of where iOS 12 is heading in terms of usage.

Apple does issue its own adoption rates, based on data collected by iPhones contacting the App Store and its other services, but those releases are sporadic. According to the current charts, dated for October 29, iOS 12 was used on 63 percent of all compatible devices introduced since September 2014, and 60 percent of all iOS devices.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    Amazing. In our family, iOS 12 has brought new life , to the Mini 2 ,5S & the 6 Plus. It’s been a great release, and Siri Shortcuts is amazing for 3rd party apps.
    MisterKitrazorpitwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 2 of 19
    MKMcMKMc Posts: 14member
    I was not in a particular hurry to upgrade to iOS12. I was busy and didn't really care either way - but the nagging tactics that Apple employs and the infuriating tactic of making me punch in my pin every time I dismissed a nag to update wore me down and eventually I just did it for peace sake. So I wonder how many others did the same thing. Nagging users to death until they upgrade can hardly be counted as enthusiastic adoption.
    muthuk_vanalingamcharlesatlas
  • Reply 3 of 19
    But....but....but....iOS 11 was such a buggy mess that smart people will hold off on upgrading to iOS 12 to avoid issues.
    lkruppMplsPStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 19
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    Meanwhile, Android Pie (Version 9.x released in August 2018) is beat by Gingerbread (Version 2.3.x released in October 2010).

I am really liking iOS 12.
    lkruppStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 19
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    MKMc said:
    I was not in a particular hurry to upgrade to iOS12. I was busy and didn't really care either way - but the nagging tactics that Apple employs and the infuriating tactic of making me punch in my pin every time I dismissed a nag to update wore me down and eventually I just did it for peace sake. So I wonder how many others did the same thing. Nagging users to death until they upgrade can hardly be counted as enthusiastic adoption.
    Turn automatic updates off. Settings - General - Software Update.. and toggle automatic updates off. 

Doing this will not allow the update file to be downloaded to your device and you won't get the nagging reminders as you put it. Maybe learn how to use your device before coming here and going on a ridiculous tangent about Apple's "tactics"...sheesh.

I have had this turned off for years and NEVER receive these notifications that you complain about.

bdkennedy1002MisterKitStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 19
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    MKMc said:
    If you want to stay on a certain version of your phone’s operating system just switch to Android and you’ll never get another update again. “Nagging users to death until they upgrade” is why developers have an easier time developing for iOS. They have a known base platform to work with. Android developers have to cope with dozens of different versions of that operating system. There’s a good reason for Apple to nag you to death.
    dhawkins541razorpitwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 7 of 19
    Wow! I didn't think my comment was a "tangent". Uncalled for comment from you. If Apple were not using "tactics" to edge people towards updating, they would turn off automatic updates by default and allow us to enable it by choice. Relax dude, this is a conversation not a battle.ground
    lkrupp said:
    MKMc said:
    If you want to stay on a certain version of your phone’s operating system just switch to Android and you’ll never get another update again. “Nagging users to death until they upgrade” is why developers have an easier time developing for iOS. They have a known base platform to work with. Android developers have to cope with dozens of different versions of that operating system. There’s a good reason for Apple to nag you to death.
    edited November 2018 razorpitMplsP
  • Reply 8 of 19
    lkrupp said:
    MKMc said:
    Yeah, I understand all the arguments and I am not anti Apple being able to boast high upgrade rates. I am merely raising the issue of forcing me to enter my pin every time I choose "Not Now". I am not a developer, so is there a reason for this beyond just making it inconvenient to not choose to update at a given moment. I would be interested to know. If I am using my own iPhone surely a simple "Not Now" should suffice? I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on this.
    MplsP
  • Reply 9 of 19
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    But....but....but....iOS 11 was such a buggy mess
    You got that right. 
  • Reply 10 of 19
    jcs2305 said:
    MKMc said:
    Turn automatic updates off. Settings - General - Software Update.. and toggle automatic updates off. 

Doing this will not allow the update file to be downloaded to your device and you won't get the nagging reminders as you put it. Maybe learn how to use your device before coming here and going on a ridiculous tangent about Apple's "tactics"...sheesh.

I have had this turned off for years and NEVER receive these notifications that you complain about.

But why nag every single day whether you want to restart now or be reminded in 24 hours? Why not just tell you once that you've downloaded it and it's ready whenever you want to do the update?
    MKMc
  • Reply 11 of 19
    iOS 12 is a solid, mature, robust version. I cannot think of a reason not to install it on any compatible device.
    razorpitStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 19
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    jcs2305 said:
    MKMc said:

But why nag every single day whether you want to restart now or be reminded in 24 hours? Why not just tell you once that you've downloaded it and it's ready whenever you want to do the update?
    Because then you would forget about it and there it would sit on your device forever. At some point you’d be raging at Apple wondering what is taking up so much space on your device. That’s why.
    Rayz2016StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 19
    jcs2305 said:
    MKMc said:

Or just turn off auto updates..simple enough. It's a reminder not a nag. If you can't deal with that then shut down the auto update toggle, or update the phone. It's really not that huge of a deal in my opinion anyway.

StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 19
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,924member
    hentaiboy said:
    But....but....but....iOS 11 was such a buggy mess
    You got that right. 
    Yeah - I’m betting a lot of people upgraded just to get out of iOS 11. 12 still has a couple of minor things, but the first version of 12 was less buggy than the last version of 11
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 19
    lkrupp said:
    jcs2305 said:
    MKMc said:

Because then you would forget about it and there it would sit on your device forever. At some point you’d be raging at Apple wondering what is taking up so much space on your device. That’s why.
    +1
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 19
    jcs2305 said:
    jcs2305 said:
    MKMc said:

Or just turn off auto updates..simple enough. It's a reminder not a nag. If you can't deal with that then shut down the auto update toggle, or update the phone. It's really not that huge of a deal in my opinion anyway.

A reminder is welcome; a nag is repeated, intrusive and unwelcome. As such, reminders can easily become nags. 

I’m sure many people aren’t aware of how to turn off auto updates, and the way Apple does it’s ‘reminders’ makes it easy to accidentally authorize an update when you’re trying to get rid of the reminder/nag. 

As a rule, I don’t upgrade iOS as soon as it comes out in case there are major bugs. I ended up doing so with iOS 12 precisely because I accidentally authorized it. As it turned out it was a good thing. 
  • Reply 17 of 19
    MKMc said:
    Wow! I didn't think my comment was a "tangent". Uncalled for comment from you. If Apple were not using "tactics" to edge people towards updating, they would turn off automatic updates by default and allow us to enable it by choice. Relax dude, this is a conversation not a battle.ground
    lkrupp said:
    MKMc said:
    The reason they default to it on, is because it's a Good Idea (tm). Newer OS releases close security loopholes, hardening it against intruders and data loss. If you want to be a stick in the mud about it that's your right, but it's absurd to claim they should default to that. Get real.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 19
    MKMc said:
    lkrupp said:
    MKMc said:
    The reason they default to it on, is because it's a Good Idea (tm). Newer OS releases close security loopholes, hardening it against intruders and data loss. If you want to be a stick in the mud about it that's your right, but it's absurd to claim they should default to that. Get real.
    You’re right about keeping devices secure, but new OS’s have also been known to have bugs, cause battery issues, cause older devices to run slowly and even brick devices. None of these issues are the norm, and the slowdowns haven’t been as much of an issue with more recent releases, but they are all legitimate reasons to proceed cautiously with upgrades. 
  • Reply 19 of 19
    cintoscintos Posts: 113member
    I run an instance of Windows 10 under VMware on my 2012 Mac Pro. One has to dig deeply into the Settings control panel to suspend auto updates. I do that regularly while running GIS jobs that take overnight. If idon’t, Win10 will close running apps and do update & restart regardless of cpu activity. I forgot once last week and lost 20 hours of batch work. I clear the freeze when not needed, because I am a big fan of s/w updates. I’d rather they nag me, though. 

I am surprised that Apple does nothing to trumpet the ridiculous Android adoption (or actually, availability) rate for their latest releases. Keeping 5 year old devices relevant is a key reason for the high resale value of old iPhones. Yes, it means that users are not forced to buy the latest handset to get upgraded s/w, but that’s a GOOD thing, right?
    edited November 2018 watto_cobra