Which one of Apple's 2018 iPad or iPad Pro models should you buy?

Posted:
in iPad edited February 2020
Now that the new iPad Pro is available, Apple's 2018 iPad lineup consists of four models: the 2018 iPad Pro, the 2017 10.5-inch iPad Pro, the 2018 9.7-inch iPad and the iPad Mini 4. AppleInsider examines all of the options and explains what is worth looking out for when buying a new tablet.

iPad versus iPad Pro

Externals, Smart Connectors, and Security

Right off the bat, I want to take the iPad mini 4 off the list for a few reasons. It's the only current iPad that doesn't support the Apple Pencil, it's powered by a processor that came out in 2014, and it's more expensive than the iPad, so I personally wouldn't buy it.

Don't just take my word for it, as a poll on our YouTube from roughly a week ago revealed that out of almost 10,000 people, only 3 percent thought that the iPad Mini 4 was the better choice. A considerable 63 percent of them thought that the 2018 iPad Pro was the best choice, despite being the most expensive.

The design of the new iPad Pro is the polar opposite of the old iPads. The edges are now completely flat compared to the old chamfered and rounded edges which made it a tad bit difficult to press the buttons. The new buttons feel great and the new shape will take a bit of time to get used to since the curved design felt more natural to hold in the hand.

The rounded display of the new iPad Pro

On the back, the camera is quite a bit larger compared to the other iPads, making it look like it's packing a serious imaging sensor.

iPad and iPad Pros on a desk

The smart connector has been relocated and made larger on the new iPad Pro, which also features a bunch of internal magnets so it can powerfully hold onto covers and cases with more than just the smart connector and the front face. The 9.7-inch iPad doesn't have the smart connector, and users will have to resort to using Bluetooth for keyboards.

I personally love that the front of the new iPad Pro is black, which helps hide the TrueDepth sensor array that brings Face ID to the iPad for the first time ever. The best part is that Face ID it works in any orientation, even upside down.

The white front on the old iPads really made the bezels stand out, especially the huge bezels on the 9.7-inch iPad. The 10.5-inch iPad Pro had thinner bezels on the sides, in fact, even thinner than the bezels on the 11-inch iPad Pro, but thankfully the top and bottom bezels are now gone thanks to the new model ditching Touch ID, which also makes it a lot easier to use the iPad Pro while in landscape mode.

The iPad Pro with the Apple Pencil 2

This change alone makes the new iPad Pro really stand out from the crowd. To put it simply, every old iPad just looks ancient in comparison, just like the iPhone X compared to the iPhone 8.

Some might hate the fact that Touch ID is gone, but if you own an iPhone X or newer iPhone, you've already become used to the new gestures and it honestly makes it so much quicker and easier to navigate compared to the old iPads. And I love having the tap to wake feature on the new iPad.

Ports, Pencils, and Sound

Unfortunately, the new iPad Pro is the first iPad model to get rid of the headphone jack, which does help make it thinner than both the iPad and old iPad Pro, but some probably won't think it's worth the exclusion.

The headphone jack is gone on the new iPad Pro models

The 2018 iPad Pro is also the first iPad to ditch the old Lightning port for a USB-C port. This gives it many benefits in terms of connectivity, and it will only get better with iOS 13 next year, but my favorite thing about the new port is that you can use your MacBook charger to charge the new iPad Pro, and I've already noticed how much more convenient it is to charge it.

Even better, the 2018 iPad Pro finally comes with an 18-watt fast charger compared to the old 12-watt iPad power adapter, so it charges quite a bit faster.

Lightning and USB-C ports on the iPad and iPad Pro models

Apple has also redesigned the Apple Pencil with a brand new charging system. Just simply bring it close to the new iPad Pro Apple Pencil connector, and it magnetically snaps into place, automatically pairs and charges wirelessly. There's no need to plug it into a Lightning port like you had to do with the previous Apple Pencil, and because of that, only the new iPad Pro supports it.

Comparing the Pencils themselves, the new one is larger and has a matte finish, and it just feels better in the hand compared to the old version. It's also got a new double-tap feature which allows you to instantly switch between tools.

The original and new Apple Pencil

The new and improved Apple Pencil is something you miss out on if you go with an older iPad.

The 9.7-inch iPad also has considerably worse speakers than both of the iPad Pro models, which have speaker grilles on both the top and the bottom, giving you stereo sound. There's not much of a difference in sound quality between the iPad Pros, but they both sound much better than the 9.7-inch iPad.

Screens

Both of the iPad Pro models have a laminated display, which increases contrast and colors, and makes it seem like the display is right under the glass. With a non-laminated display, like on the 9.7-inch iPad, there's a noticeable gap between the glass and the display, which has a few downsides.

The 'gap' in the non-laminated iPad

First of all, parts of the display get covered up when looking at it from an angle, which is extremely distracting, and the gap also makes it feel less solid compared to a laminated display. Not only that, but you can visibly see the gap when using the Apple Pencil, making it harder to draw if you're looking at the display from an angle.

Moving onto display technology, both of the iPad Pros both support True Tone, P3 wide color gamut and have an anti-reflective coating that makes a world of a difference in cutting reflections and glare.

The vivid colors of the iPad Pro display

However, the biggest deal is the ProMotion technology used on the iPad Pros. It basically allows the display to dynamically adjust the refresh rate between 24 and 120 hertz based on the content you're viewing. This makes navigation incredibly smooth and also helps save battery life by matching the lower capture rate of movies, shows, and videos.

Not only that, but ProMotion helps bring Apple Pencil lag down to a remarkably low 20ms, so drawing on an iPad Pro with ProMotion feels more natural compared to the 9.7-inch iPad.

Performance

The 9.7-inch iPad only has 2GB of RAM compared to 4GB on the iPad Pros, which really helps with multitasking. If you get the 1 terabyte 2018 iPad Pro model, you get an even greater 6GB of RAM.

Benchmarked in Geekbench 4, the new iPad Pro gets triple the multi-core score of the iPad, and almost double the score of the 10.5-inch iPad Pro.

• iPad benchmarks in Geekbench 4
  • iPad benchmarks in Geekbench 4

These differences are pretty huge, but looking at graphics performance, there's no comparison. The new iPad Pro is over three times as powerful, with the 10.5-inch iPad Pro around 10,000 points behind.

We then tested the iPads using the Antutu benchmark, and we saw that the 9.7-inch iPad wasn't too far off from the 10.5-inch Pro, but the 11-inch iPad Pro completely swept the floor with both of them, even setting a record in the benchmark.

iPad benchmarks in Antutu

Finally, we tested a more realistic test by exporting a 1 minute 4K HEVC video. Here, we see that the new iPad Pros performance shines in the real world as well, finishing twice as fast as the 10.5-inch Pro and almost three times faster than the 9.7-inch iPad.

iPad benchmarks in Adobe Rush

Photography

Finally, let's talk cameras. The 9.7-inch iPad packs the same camera from the iPhone 6. The 10.5-inch iPad Pro has the iPhone 7's camera, and the new 11-inch iPad Pro packs a slightly revised version of the wide camera from the iPhone XS, ditching optical image stabilization and one of the lens elements.

The best part about the new iPad Pro is that it gets the same Portrait Selfie mode and Animoji features that the iPhone XS gets, but unfortunately, you can't take portraits on the rear camera like the iPhone XR can.

Comparing the iPad and iPad Pro cameras

In comparing photos between the iPad models, this first photo shows that the new iPad Pro has an exceptional level of detail, and it really brings out the colors of the plant compared to the other two.

We see the same thing in this shot. The 11-inch iPad Pro looks extremely detailed, making the iPad look blurry in comparison. The new iPad Pro also does a better job at showing the true white balance compared to the other two.

In this wide shot, the 10.5-inch iPad Pro actually looks the worst, as it exposed quite dark. Both of the old iPads just looks dim and gloomy. The new iPad Pro is able to bring out the colors and make them appear close to real life.

Now moving to the front side, we see the biggest differences, since the 9.7-inch iPad features a weak 1.2-megapixel selfie camera. As you can see, the detail just isn't there. Everything is in focus because of the small sensor and wider aperture. The 10.5-inch iPad Pro gets a 7-megapixel sensor so the background gets a little bit of blur, making the selfie look better.

The 11-inch iPad Pro gets portrait selfie mode, which along with the high level of detail, makes this selfie look countless times better than the other iPads.

Based on those all of those photos, it's clear that the 11-inch iPad Pro has the best camera, by far.

In Summary

So now that you know the differences between all of these iPads, which one should you buy?

Well, I'm also crossing off the 10.5-inch iPad Pro.

Why? Because the new iPad Pro is the first of its kind. It's completely redesigned and features many firsts like the first rounded display, the first iPad with Face ID, the first iPad to support the new Apple Pencil, the first iPad with USB-C and the first iPad to pack an ultra-powerful 7nm chip.

With that said, I wouldn't recommend anyone to buy the 10.5-inch iPad Pro over the 11-inch model unless you can get it used for an incredibly cheap price, preferably in the $350-400 price range.

The iPad, 10.5-inch iPad Pro, and 11-inch iPad Pro

Even then, I'd rather just spend the extra cash and have the best of the best, an iPad Pro that's future proof for years. It also doesn't make sense to buy the old Apple Pencil knowing that future iPad Pros will likely use the new Apple Pencil anyway.

What if you don't need the best of the best? What if you just want an iPad for casual use to occasionally play a game or do some sketches with the Apple Pencil? Or what if you're not even interested in the Apple Pencil? Then definitely buy the budget 9.7-inch iPad instead.

Sure, the new iPad Pro will do everything better, but if you're not going to be using it often, or you don't need the extra performance, better display, and Apple Pencil improvements, then it doesn't make sense to spend $800 or more on the new iPad Pro.

Furthermore, if you're not in a hurry, it may be worth waiting four months until March. That's when Apple usually refreshes the budget 9.7-inch iPad, and there's a chance it will be redesigned it to match the look of the new iPad Pro. There's no guarantee it'll get Face ID or support for the new Apple Pencil, but it's definitely going to receive some improvements.

Current iPad deals

Apple authorized resellers are currently discounting iPads, including new 11-inch and 12.9-inch iPad Pros. Save up to $220 on the 2018 models -- or for the greatest savings, opt for a closeout device. Mid 2017 12.9-inch iPad Pros are currently up to $500 off, while 10.5-inch iPros are up to $250 off.

To view the latest discounts and the best deals across all of the iPad lines, please visit the AppleInsider iPad Price Guide.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    I love the iPad mini. It fits easily in my pocket, so is good for reading a map when out walking. It is great for reading the newspaper. I just wish Apple would upgrade it to use the stylus.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 19
    I love the iPad mini. It fits easily in my pocket, so is good for reading a map when out walking. It is great for reading the newspaper. I just wish Apple would upgrade it to use the stylus.
    I don't think the stylus is coming to iPad mini, but I am hoping for a new mini with the same design as the new iPad Pro.  That will be an instant buy for me.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 19
    thttht Posts: 5,421member
    Just got my father-in-law a base model 6th gen iPad for $250. Both Target and Amazon was offering it for $80 off. It’s essentially a video, audio, game player and web browser to him. Great great deal. I can easily see Apple selling 10m 6th gen iPads this holiday quarter alone.

iPad 9.7: media and game player, kid computer
    iPad Pro 10.5: school computer (junior to high school)
    iPad Pro 11: university and mobile computer
    iPad Pro 12.9: premium mobile computer

watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 19
    urashid said:
    I don't think the stylus is coming to iPad mini, but I am hoping for a new mini with the same design as the new iPad Pro.  That will be an instant buy for me.
    Another avenue Apple can go is give the iPad Pro treatment to the 9.7" screen size => all screen, FaceID, A12X.  This should be small enough to satisfy those wanting an iPad mini.  The current 9.7" iPad form factor can still stick around for those that don't need all the top-end features.  Therefore the lineup would look like;

iPad 9.7" - $329
    iPad Pro 9.7" - $599
    iPad Pro 11" - $799
    iPad Pro 12.9" - $999
    urashidwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 19
    [...] if you're not in a hurry, it may be worth waiting four months until March. That's when Apple usually refreshes the budget 9.7-inch iPad, and there's a chance it will be redesigned it to match the look of the new iPad Pro. There's no guarantee it'll get Face ID or support for the new Apple Pencil, but it's definitely going to receive some improvements.
    To the prognosticators in the crowd:

I've never paid any attention to iPad development cycles because I haven't needed or wanted one. Now I do, and have a couple questions.

Is a March refresh of the "standard" (i.e. non-Pro) model likely? Is it like iPhones in September, something that happens with virtual certainty every year, or are iPad refreshes more random, like Macs?

If you had to guess, what do you think are the chances of certain aspects of the new Pros making their way into the standard model:

- narrower bezels
    - squared edges
    - Face ID
    - USB-C instead of Lightning
    - support for new Pencil

The existing model is fine for what I need, I'd just prefer not to buy into functions that are on their way out, like the older Pencil and the Home button, if they're likely to be replaced in the next iteration. I also really like the look of the new Pro models and would be tickled if I could get the squared edges and smaller bezels in a more modestly equipped and priced model.

Anyone have any thoughts, predictions, educated guesses, or wild speculation?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 19
    urashid said:
    Another avenue Apple can go is give the iPad Pro treatment to the 9.7" screen size => all screen, FaceID, A12X.  This should be small enough to satisfy those wanting an iPad mini.  The current 9.7" iPad form factor can still stick around for those that don't need all the top-end features.  Therefore the lineup would look like;

iPad 9.7" - $329
    iPad Pro 9.7" - $599
    iPad Pro 11" - $799
    iPad Pro 12.9" - $999
    I think the point of the Pros is they are larger than 10", so a Mini Pro, even being larger isn't that neccesary. It also would be at a weird price point considering it would haft to be $500-600 ,which I think they should bring back in the 9.7" screen size. It is more likely though they'll make in the next mini, if there is one, it will have the same specs as the 9.7" does when it's updated in its smaller design at maybe $330 while the 9.7" goes up to $400 (assuming they upgrade it next year with the A12 and Face ID or something along those lines).
    I assume Apple Pencil support (Gen 1 at least) will be on all new iPads, but that makes me wonder if they'll haft to keep the lightning port on the basic models.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 19
    I upgraded from a gen 1 12.9 ipad pro with pencil to the new 12.9 ipad pro with new pencil. This thing is blazing fast... quite often, while observing my videos rendering or witnessing complex effects in realtime... i cant stop myself from saying Wow... followed by a big smile!...... and the new pencil docking and charge solution and the ‘tap to change function’ take care of all the stupid design issues of the old one. Love this thing. But Please Apple. Give us an iOS pro with a core, comprehensive user manageable file/folder system with consistent UI accessible from all apps..... and please open up the usb-c port to external drives ! You have a powerhouse here handicapped by the above ..
    TomEredgeminipatmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 19
    TomETomE Posts: 172member
    I agree with Yojimbo007, it is fast . . . but the iOS file system is not what a Pro wants it to be. I know, not all Pro's are the same, but to drop that much money, I expect it to be like or better than my Mac.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 19
    Just think. You could buy four iPad 9.7” for the cost of one iPad Pro 12.9”.

• Reply 10 of 19
    I upgraded from a gen 1 12.9 ipad pro with pencil to the new 12.9 ipad pro with new pencil. This thing is blazing fast... quite often, while observing my videos rendering or witnessing complex effects in realtime... i cant stop myself from saying Wow... followed by a big smile!...... and the new pencil docking and charge solution and the ‘tap to change function’ take care of all the stupid design issues of the old one. Love this thing. But Please Apple. Give us an iOS pro with a core, comprehensive user manageable file/folder system with consistent UI accessible from all apps..... and please open up the usb-c port to external drives ! You have a powerhouse here handicapped by the above ..
    iOS provides a core, comprehensive user manageable file/folder system with consistent UI accessible from all apps on the iCloud. And on the local device you can use a file management app to build your own folder structure and integrate it with the Files app. Hopefully USB-C flash drives will appear soon, probably once the manufacturers update their apps. There is no reason Apple arbitrarily restricts USB-C external storage access on the iPad Pro, external storage access is already available via Lightning.
    edited November 2018 watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 19
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    urashid said:
    Why wouldn’t they bring the Pencil to the mini? If you think they’re going to redesign it to match the new iPadPro, there’s no way they wouldn’t. It’s just that many more Pencils they could sell.

If Apple were only promoting the Pencil as a drawing tool, that would be one thing, but the fact they’re making it easy to both access and use it for note taking makes the mini a must for Pencil use, assuming the mini has any future at all for Apple’s plans. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 19
    iOS provides a core, comprehensive user manageable file/folder system with consistent UI accessible from all apps on the iCloud. And on the local device you can use a file management app to build your own folder structure and integrate it with the Files app. Hopefully USB-C flash drives will appear soon, probably once the manufacturers update their apps. There is no reason Apple arbitrarily restricts USB-C external storage access on the iPad Pro, external storage access is already available via Lightning.
    Have you been able to make an iOS device work like the equivalent of a thumb drive? That is, just create a folder in the Files app and drop a couple random files in it? I couldn't get it to work. iOS wanted me to select an app to host the files. It would not let me just "store" them in a folder.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    [...] if you're not in a hurry, it may be worth waiting four months until March. That's when Apple usually refreshes the budget 9.7-inch iPad, and there's a chance it will be redesigned it to match the look of the new iPad Pro. There's no guarantee it'll get Face ID or support for the new Apple Pencil, but it's definitely going to receive some improvements.

I've never paid any attention to iPad development cycles because I haven't needed or wanted one. Now I do, and have a couple questions.

Is a March refresh of the "standard" (i.e. non-Pro) model likely? Is it like iPhones in September, something that happens with virtual certainty every year, or are iPad refreshes more random, like Macs?

If you had to guess, what do you think are the chances of certain aspects of the new Pros making their way into the standard model:

- narrower bezels
    - squared edges
    - Face ID
    - support for new Pencil

The existing model is fine for what I need, I'd just prefer not to buy into functions that are on their way out, like the older Pencil and the Home button, if they're likely to be replaced in the next iteration. I also really like the look of the new Pro models and would be tickled if I could get the squared edges and smaller bezels in a more modestly equipped and priced model.

Lorin - you are more knowledgeable than me, but still I would make some educated guesses.

Narrower bezels - Most likely NO. Reason - This iPad is all about cost-cutting. Redesigning this iPad would cost much more than what Apple would be willing to spend on it. For the same reason, don't expect any of the other points - squared edges, Face ID, USB-C instead of lightning. And no changes to display as well. I am not sure if new pencil support has anything to do with display or chassis. If yes, count it out as well. If not, most likely it would become the default. If all of them happens, that would actually be a bad news - Huge increase in price for the base model.

One positive change I do expect is - 3GB of RAM instead of 2GB of RAM along with SoC upgrade. Base storage might still be 32GB though.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Have you been able to make an iOS device work like the equivalent of a thumb drive? That is, just create a folder in the Files app and drop a couple random files in it? I couldn't get it to work. iOS wanted me to select an app to host the files. It would not let me just "store" them in a folder.
    The thumb drive’s app provides a “Location” to Files. In Files select the file(s) then tap the folder icon on bottom. iOS will ask you to select a location for that file. This is as simple as that. You tapped the Share button, not that, tap the Folder button.
  • Reply 15 of 19

- narrower bezels
    - squared edges
    - Face ID
    - support for new Pencil

Lorin - you are more knowledgeable than me, but still I would make some educated guesses.

Narrower bezels - Most likely NO. Reason - This iPad is all about cost-cutting. Redesigning this iPad would cost much more than what Apple would be willing to spend on it. For the same reason, don't expect any of the other points - squared edges, Face ID, USB-C instead of lightning. And no changes to display as well. I am not sure if new pencil support has anything to do with display or chassis. If yes, count it out as well. If not, most likely it would become the default. If all of them happens, that would actually be a bad news - Huge increase in price for the base model.

One positive change I do expect is - 3GB of RAM instead of 2GB of RAM along with SoC upgrade. Base storage might still be 32GB though.

Excellent point about cost. One reason I'm finally considering an iPad at all is that it's now inexpensive enough to be make sense for the very limited role it would play in my work. If it was expensive, I wouldn't bother.

I'm still really hoping for at least Face ID though! The rest I can live without.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 19

The thumb drive’s app provides a “Location” to Files. In Files select the file(s) then tap the folder icon on bottom. iOS will ask you to select a location for that file. This is as simple as that. You tapped the Share button, not that, tap the Folder button.
    I guess I'm just not understanding how the Files app works. I have no ides what you mean by "The thumb drive's app."

I had two pdf files on my Mac I wanted to take to a meeting. I selected AirDrop on my Mac and selected my iPhone as the destination. The iPhone offered to put the pdf files in my Books library or store them in the cloud. The Files app was visible but "greyed out." I was not able to select local storage on the iPhone as a destination for the pdf files.

I tried to RTFM, but there IS no FM! :smile: 

EDIT: Update. According to 
    https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT206481, it appears there really isn't such thing as storing a file on an iDevice. All the Files app does is access stuff stored in iCloud. That's useless to those of us who work in locations with no internet access.
    edited November 2018
  • Reply 17 of 19

I guess I'm just not understanding how the Files app works. I have no ides what you mean by "The thumb drive's app."

When you purchase a thumb drive for Lightning, you download that drive's file management app from the AppStore, supplied to Apple by the manufacturer and distributed via AppStore. That app may provide a location to your Files app, so your drive becomes visible by the Files app. If that app does not provide access from Files app (not visible in Files app under "Locations"), then don't buy it or return the drive for a refund or keep it without using Files app, it may still accept documents via the Share sheet.

I had two pdf files on my Mac I wanted to take to a meeting. I selected AirDrop on my Mac and selected my iPhone as the destination. The iPhone offered to put the pdf files in my Books library or store them in the cloud. The Files app was visible but "greyed out." I was not able to select local storage on the iPhone as a destination for the pdf files. of us who work in locations with no internet access.
    I checked the same thing on my Macbook Pro and my iPhone. When the two files have been received by the iPhone via AirDrop, a long list of pdf-compatible apps was displayed, including "Files". I chose "Files" and then chose the Acrobat folder "On my iPhone".  The two pdfs have gone directly into Acrobat's folder. I don't know why your "Files" option was visible but dimmed.

EDIT: Update. According to https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT206481, it appears there really isn't such thing as storing a file on an iDevice. All the Files app does is access stuff stored in iCloud. That's useless to those of us who work in locations with no internet access.
    Read below the headings "Find Your Files" and "Keep Your Files Organized". Especially "Create New Folders" sub-heading explains how to create folders on your iPhone. The Files app may have a UI flaw there, you may need to swipe down to reveal the "Add Folder" button !.. Minor, but still confusing design flaw !...

And in my post Reply #10 above I suggested to build a custom folder structure in the 3d party file management app, because Files app restricts folder creation locations to within app folders only "On My iPhone/iPad", and that may not be suitable to some people who need an app-independent folder hierarchy. If you don't want to keep your project documents in a specific app's own folder then use iCloud Drive or a 3d party file management app to create a custom folder structure "On Your iPhone/iPad". Keep also in mind that each iOS app can write to other apps' folders, for example you can copy a Numbers spreadsheet into the Pages app's folder.

The weird thing about all of this is that no one complains about not accessing any document to send via WhatsApp. Apparently everyone can manage to send whatever they have on their iPhone without needing "a full file system" providing access to WhatsApp's "folder hierarchy" !...
  • Reply 18 of 19

When you purchase a thumb drive for Lightning, you download that drive's file management app from the AppStore, supplied to Apple by the manufacturer and distributed via AppStore. That app may provide a location to your Files app, so your drive becomes visible by the Files app. If that app does not provide access from Files app (not visible in Files app under "Locations"), then don't buy it or return the drive for a refund or keep it without using Files app, it may still accept documents via the Share sheet.

I had two pdf files on my Mac I wanted to take to a meeting. I selected AirDrop on my Mac and selected my iPhone as the destination. The iPhone offered to put the pdf files in my Books library or store them in the cloud. The Files app was visible but "greyed out." I was not able to select local storage on the iPhone as a destination for the pdf files. of us who work in locations with no internet access.
    I checked the same thing on my Macbook Pro and my iPhone. When the two files have been received by the iPhone via AirDrop, a long list of pdf-compatible apps was displayed, including "Files". I chose "Files" and then chose the Acrobat folder "On my iPhone".  The two pdfs have gone directly into Acrobat's folder. I don't know why your "Files" option was visible but dimmed.

EDIT: Update. According to https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT206481, it appears there really isn't such thing as storing a file on an iDevice. All the Files app does is access stuff stored in iCloud. That's useless to those of us who work in locations with no internet access.
    Read below the headings "Find Your Files" and "Keep Your Files Organized". Especially "Create New Folders" sub-heading explains how to create folders on your iPhone. The Files app may have a UI flaw there, you may need to swipe down to reveal the "Add Folder" button !.. Minor, but still confusing design flaw !...

And in my post Reply #10 above I suggested to build a custom folder structure in the 3d party file management app, because Files app restricts folder creation locations to within app folders only "On My iPhone/iPad", and that may not be suitable to some people who need an app-independent folder hierarchy. If you don't want to keep your project documents in a specific app's own folder then use iCloud Drive or a 3d party file management app to create a custom folder structure "On Your iPhone/iPad". Keep also in mind that each iOS app can write to other apps' folders, for example you can copy a Numbers spreadsheet into the Pages app's folder.

The weird thing about all of this is that no one complains about not accessing any document to send via WhatsApp. Apparently everyone can manage to send whatever they have on their iPhone without needing "a full file system" providing access to WhatsApp's "folder hierarchy" !...
    My eyes glazed over about half-way through reading that. The information is very helpful, but my aging brain is feeling disinclined to figure out how to make it all work. It's much easier for me to just continue using the Mac I know and love. It's not a problem, as I prefer a clamshell form factor over a tablet anyway.
  • Reply 19 of 19

My eyes glazed over about half-way through reading that. The information is very helpful, but my aging brain is feeling disinclined to figure out how to make it all work. It's much easier for me to just continue using the Mac I know and love. It's not a problem, as I prefer a clamshell form factor over a tablet anyway.
    In some indeterminate future, an iPad may provide a totally Finder-like document management. It needs RAM, VM, CPU and obviously, battery improvements for that. First of all, it needs preemptive multitasking so that it doesn’t halt when you try to copy 1236835 files from your flash drive. Then the battery should last enough to complete a hours long file copy operation. With the current limited hardware profile, iOS provides the best document management that can be expected from such slim devices, an experience still not much different from what you’re doing on your Mac, and mostly more efficient and straightforward thanks to the touch UI.