Apple Music coming to Amazon's Echo speaker range on December 17

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    Hmmmm, give Amazon access to my Apple ID...... no thank you!!!!

So why is Apple allowing it?

If it's the same as linking my iCloud Calendar to the Echo, then it will use an App Specific Password, so Amazon will never have my actual AppleID password.

• Reply 22 of 32
    peteo said:
    AI you need to update your post

From the USA Today exclusive report:

"From the Amazon Alexa app on your phone, you can select Apple Music and link the account to an Echo, just as you might do via the app with Spotify or other streaming options. If you choose to make Apple Music the default music service, Alexa will play the song, artist or playlist of your choice upon request, or for that matter Apple’s Beats 1 radio, without your having to direct Alexa specifically to Apple Music. If Apple Music is not the default, you’d have to say, “Alexa play X on Apple Music.”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/columnist/baig/2018/11/30/alexa-welcomes-apple-music-amazon-echo/2151574002/

Its not an alexa skill. so you do not need to say alexa play the pixies on apple music
    That's what I was hoping for, with Amazon treating Apple Music on the Echo the same as it does TuneIn, Spotify, or its own music.  Great stuff...  But I don't need any more reasons for the wife to say there's no point in getting a HomePod!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 32
    alphafox said:
    I’d prefer it the other way around: open up the home pod to play prime music. I don’t want to pay more for Apple Music when I have prime, even if the Apple Music service is much better and has more music, I’m ok with the prime selection. 
    You can do that now, through using your iPhone or iPad. Simply play it through AirPlay and choose your HomePod as the speaker.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 32
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    I want to know if Apple Music is coming to "all" Echo devices or just the assistants?   This is important because the Echo Link (preamp) and Echo Link Amp (60 wpc stereo) are coming and if they also support Apple Music you have a strong hardware platform to leverage. 
  • Reply 25 of 32
    lkrupp said:
    I don’t agree that the Echo range and HomePod are “competing” per se. It’s like saying the iPhone and a $100 Android phone are competing. They are in the same market but at different levels. And yes, the Echo is dominating the market share metric just like Android dominates the  smartphone market share with its myriad of cheap products. 

As for Apple Music and the Echo it’s no surprise at all. The iPod started out exclusive to Apple and iTunes became cross platform later. If Apple wants to grow in the services area then they must go cross platform. Apple’s customer base will still buy Apple products. I bought an Echo just to see what it was all about and it’s not all that superior a product. It’s just relatively cheap and cheap has never doomed Apple in the past even with pundits predicting it would.
    Completely agree..i have echo and 6 Homepods...comparing them is like comparing my Vintage Jaguar convertible with my prius.  They do different things..each in their lane well.  The echo is great for listening to audiobooks but when you are in ‘that mood’ a house full of homepods delivers an experience just like the Jag does on a sunny 80 degree day on the Cape.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 32
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    Is iTunes Match included or just the rental service?
  • Reply 27 of 32
    appleric said:
    alphafox said:
    I’d prefer it the other way around: open up the home pod to play prime music. I don’t want to pay more for Apple Music when I have prime, even if the Apple Music service is much better and has more music, I’m ok with the prime selection. 
    You can do that now, through using your iPhone or iPad. Simply play it through AirPlay and choose your HomePod as the speaker.
    That’s not native though. Native is better.
  • Reply 28 of 32
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    Of course this is one way for Apple to grow services. But I think it also could be an indication that HomePod isn’t a big seller but Apple isn’t interested in creating a cheaper model. I still think Apple should allow native support of other streaming services which would help HomePod sales. Not everyone wants to use Apple Music.
    Nor do you have to. I have a HP and never use voice commands to play Apple Music, always app controlled, exactly how it would be for someone using another service. Voice is still overrated. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 32
    shevshev Posts: 84member
    About time, not really a fan of spending £640 for two homepods vs £50 for 2 echo dots  :D Paying over 10x more for a crippled device with the worst assistant on earth. Nahhhhh thank you
  • Reply 30 of 32
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    peteo said:
    AI you need to update your post

From the USA Today exclusive report:

"From the Amazon Alexa app on your phone, you can select Apple Music and link the account to an Echo, just as you might do via the app with Spotify or other streaming options. If you choose to make Apple Music the default music service, Alexa will play the song, artist or playlist of your choice upon request, or for that matter Apple’s Beats 1 radio, without your having to direct Alexa specifically to Apple Music. If Apple Music is not the default, you’d have to say, “Alexa play X on Apple Music.”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/columnist/baig/2018/11/30/alexa-welcomes-apple-music-amazon-echo/2151574002/

Its not an alexa skill. so you do not need to say alexa play the pixies on apple music
    Given that Amazon is calling it a skill, I think we're okay.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 32
    mazda 3s said:
    lkrupp said:
    As for Apple Music and the Echo it’s no surprise at all. The iPod started out exclusive to Apple and iTunes became cross platform later. If Apple wants to grow in the services area then they must go cross platform. Apple’s customer base will still buy Apple products. I bought an Echo just to see what it was all about and it’s not all that superior a product. It’s just relatively cheap and cheap has never doomed Apple in the past even with pundits predicting it would.
    Ehh, have to disagree there. I'm all-in for Apple products where they shine (I have an iPhone X, Apple Watch S4 SS, and 11-inch iPad Pro), but I use Amazon Echos for my smart speakers. They are dirt cheap, and they get the job done. I used to have 2nd generation Echo Dots spread throughout the house, but with all the Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales (where the Echo Dot 3rd gen was on sale for $24), I replaced three of the Echo Dots with the new generation (I even managed to score one combo with an Echo Dot and a TP-Link smart plug for $29). The audio quality and max volume of the 3rd gen versus the 2nd gen is amazingly better.

I replaced the fourth with an Echo Spot for the kitchen (was $89 - 25% off for trading in one of my Echo Spots), so I can see who's at the front door (I have a Ring 2 Video Doorbell) if I'm cooking (I can't do that with anything Apple offers using just my voice). I can also use the Echo Spot to monitor my cameras outside the house and in our 2-year-old's room.

I may eventually upgrades to the Echo Show (second generation) with the built in smart hub for the kitchen, as its screen is far larger, but I'm not to keen on having that much "screen" in the kitchen. Depends on how low the price goes though :)
    U pee ur self a little every time you say a brand name aloud - I’m sure of it.
    watto_cobra