Apple has destroyed the potential of the Smart Connector on the new iPad Pro

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 89
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    auxio said:
    Besides, cloud access is expensive (at least it is for me -- cellular data rates around here are brutal) and slow. I can't amuse a client with small talk for half an hour while their 10GB project downloads.
    Cellular data is still far too expensive for large amounts of data.  Wired is still the way to go.  I can get unlimited data on DSL for around $50 per month (25Mbps).  I guess if your clients are people in remote areas, or who can't/won't pay for decent internet connections, then it makes sense to work that way.
    A 10GB project is still going to take the best part of an hour even over a 25Mbps connection.
  • Reply 82 of 89
    auxio said:
    If there's any degree of uncertainty in the task, then yes, computers are pretty awful.  I'm mainly talking about how the model of files and folders is very rudimentary and could be improved upon a lot for many tasks to better model how people think about the organization of information for those tasks, and what they need to achieve with that information.

For example, think about searching a whole bunch of video files for one which contains footage of a particular car.  Files and folders don't capture that kind of information.  Sure you could scan those files, do image recognition on the frames, and then store that information for each file.  But that would take a lot of time and storage space.  And it would likely still be slow to search.  So what if, instead of storing video as files, it was in a footage archive which was optimized for the exact tasks you need to do with that video footage (searching in many ways, quick access based on time, etc).  And that archive could be distributed across machines/drives as needed (not just a simple file).
    Interesting ideas, and i applaud the imaginative approach you're applying to envisioning a better file system!

In the meantime, the way iOS manages files makes it difficult for me to use an iPad to do the kind of work I do. The fundamental objection remains: the file system is not yet capable/flexible enough and, in my opinion, would benefit from improvement. The primary issue isn't whether Apple adopts an old-fashioned, "traditional" file system or something new and more useful, but simply that what exists now is less flexible than "mature" operating systems like macOS and even Windows. How big a deal that is depends on how many people it affects, which I don't know.

auxio said:
    In general, people only care about (pay for) the end result of your work.  What tools and process you use to get that end result are entirely up to you.
    I absolutely agree. Of course, as you mentioned in a later post, one of the "results" clients appreciate is speed. In my line of work I don't even get to start on a project until everyone else is done and the deadline is looming. Tools that slow down the workflow without adding something really significant to the product have to be avoided. That means for what I do, the iPad Pro probably isn't the best choice, at least in part because of its file system. That's not being resistant to change, it's just pragmatic project management.
  • Reply 83 of 89
    thanx_al said:
    I think over the 3 or so years I had iPad Pro 1 and 2, I counted two (2) accessories (edit: other than Apple Smart Keyboard) that used the connector: Logitech dock and Logitech Slim Combo case. Am I mistaken? Was there a third? 
    Logitech CREATE keyboard case. (Not shouting, they used all caps in their marketing :smile:  )
    firelock said:
    The new Smart Keyboard gives the new iPad much more stability and stiffness when in “laptop” mode. It is much easier to use when actually on my lap and generally it has a much more premium feel than the old Smart Keyboard. The old one always felt like it was about to fall off, and frequently did if picked up wrong. It also wore fairly quickly. I recently sold my 10.5” on eBay, but the cover was looking pretty worn for wear after a little over a year of heavy use. I’m pretty certain that will not be the case with the new Smart Keyboard, but I guess I’ll find out next year for sure.
    Makes me really appreciate the original design of the Logi Create keyboard. Bought it for 1st gen 12.9, kept it for 2nd gen and it fits perfectly, is ultra stable and durable with full back cover. I only use Pencil occasionally to write/draw/notate and then just fold it back on the kb. It makes a great stand for watching movies lying on the couch. Mine’s 3 years old now, averaging 3 hours a day of use and it’s showing no sign of wear. Nada. All backlit keys working great with a super feel, no letters worn off, case still holds tight, no cracks on the fabric hinges, no scuffs on the exterior, SmartConnect has been faultless. Awesome quality and value. They should’ve called it the Logitech Camry.

I feel like I would be giving up a lot going to the new iPad and a new case (never mind the %#^! cost).
    firelock said:
    That said my new 11” iPad Pro with keyboard does feel SIGNIFICANTLY heavier than my old 10.5” 2017 model. Thus I find myself frequently taking the iPad off of the cover when I don’t think I’m going to need the keyboard. That is not something I felt like I needed to do with my old 10.5” Pro. It is very easy to take the iPad out of the cover and replace it, so this has not been an issue really. Overall I’d say I am very pleased with Smart Keyboard / iPad Pro 11” combo, but it would be nice if they could figure out a way to reduce the weight while keeping the same premium “laptop-like” feel.
    Though it doesn’t matter to me, that was the only knock against the Create and probably why Logi discontinued it and went with detachable keyboards. Reducing weight while keeping a premium feel would be a tall order without going to exotic materials like carbon fibre, etc. And then that would only supercharge the %#^! cost.

The new magnetic Pencil holder/charger/pairing is very cool though. But I’m OK with not paying almost $2000 to get that. I just leave the lightning cable connector on all the time and charge overnight. 
    edited November 2018
  • Reply 84 of 89
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    auxio said:
    auxio said:
    auxio said:
    Trust me, I'm notorious for being skeptical of new methods of doing things, and hard-headed about change.  But I almost always find that, once I wrap my head around that new way, I realize how much better/simpler it makes things.  I'm actually glad that I work with a group of people who push me to change/rethink how I work because, if I was working on my own, I'd likely still be stuck in the past and burning a lot of time unnecessarily on things which have been automated and/or eliminated completely by new ways of working.
    What you are describing are work arounds.
    Most knowledgeable people welcome new ways of doing things.   But, new or old, they stick with what meets their needs the best.  Sometimes that's the new way and sometimes its the old way.

The touch interface for example is great for playing games or social media on a bus on your way to work but it's not so great if you're creating a large, complicated spreadsheet.  For that, a large screen with a keyboard and mouse are the better tools.

If you take a trip to Lowe's you'll see that they still sell regular old screw drivers even though there are newer, electric ones now.  And people buy and use whichever best meets their needs.
    So remember that we're talking about "pros" here (people doing jobs for money).

In almost any industry, you'll quickly be overtaken by competitors if it takes you longer to perform a task than others (assuming the end result meets the requirements).

In your scenario, imagine if a contractor used a regular screwdriver on a big job and was charging you by the hour.  You'd quickly hire someone else.
    A contractor is going to use the best tool available -- which is not necessarily the newest one.  Which is why you will see a set of "old fashioned" screw drivers in every contractor's tool kit -- right beside the fancy "new" electric one.   

As you say:  "In almost any industry, you'll quickly be overtaken by competitors if it takes you longer to perform a task than others (assuming the end result meets the requirements)."
    ...  Exactly!   That's why they use the BEST tool available rather than the newest one.  To a pro, the age of a tool means nothing.  They just use the best tool for the job.   Sometimes that's the oldest.  Sometimes it's the newest.   It depends on the job.
    But a good pro also keeps up-to-date on the newest tools, building materials, and techniques so they find ways to do their job better or more efficiently.  Rather than getting stuck only seeing one way to do things.
    I agree -- smart people (not just pros) use the best tool available to get the job done efficiently and effectively without regard to whether its new or old, or designed by Steve Jobs or Bill Gates.

I won't use a new MacBook Air because the keyboard totally sucks and the hard drive can't be replaced.
    I do use my 3 year old MBA for watching videos and accessing Apple's ecosystem because it's good at doing that.
    I still use my 6 year old Thinkpad when I have to type something or my 10 year old Thinkpad for doing my accounting work because because both are really good at doing those things.

Frankly, I couldn't care less about how old it is or who made it.  I use the best tool available for the job.

• Reply 85 of 89
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member

Cosgrove said:
    Our old Ipad is on the fritz. Given the price of a laptop and it's advantages, goodby Apple.  
    Since the cost of a new, Gen6 iPad is only about $300, I don't see your reasoning.   You simply aren't going to get a better deal anywhere
    tht
  • Reply 86 of 89
    Back to the topic: as much as I might want to pay the serious additional cost of upgrading my second generation iPad Pro to the newest version (with visions, I can’t unless there is a real keyboard option. I rely upon my current Logitech Slim Folio too much with its backlit keys, additional function row, and multiple angle brace. I find it a pleasure to type on. And, to the Smart Connector detractors, yes, it does make a difference to me that I can just snap the keyboard on without any time wasted in Bluetooth pairing or power management (at least based on my prior BT keyboard experiences).

I’ve tried to type on Apple’s iPad keyboards. My WPM drops and I find the key spacing and travel unsatisfying. Keyboards are very personal so I appreciate others’ mileage may vary. But the $1,500 or so in potential Apple sales (after accounting for the new Pencil etc) stays in my pocket until there is a good keyboard alternative ... and maybe an iOS that actually makes USB-C a real upgrade to the functionality of my current Lightning dongles.

It’s a pity. I use the iPad Pro as my main work device, so I’m probably the target market for this upgrade.
  • Reply 87 of 89
    I always find it funny that virtually the ONLY people who complain about Apple products are the IT hacks! BooHoo, you are going to have to get out of your comfort zone and actually work instead of just applying the same dinosaur applications and code... The placement of the smart connector is a precursor to the way they will connect the iPhone in the future... follow the logic! It is all coming together exactly as Apple envisions, not through your ancient eyes! I have BOTH iOS and Android devices, Mac and PC... I actually work with REAL PEOPLE, and techies... The "REAL PEOPLE" prefer iOS over Android all day... the Techies, not so much... The techies all think everyone wants anything but a walled garden, while the REAL PEOPLE don't really care... they actually like the "walled garden" because they don't spend all day trying to figure out how to change everything on their devices. They just want to use them!
  • Reply 88 of 89
    I always find it funny that virtually the ONLY people who complain about Apple products are the IT hacks! BooHoo, you are going to have to get out of your comfort zone and actually work instead of just applying the same dinosaur applications and code... The placement of the smart connector is a precursor to the way they will connect the iPhone in the future... follow the logic! It is all coming together exactly as Apple envisions, not through your ancient eyes! I have BOTH iOS and Android devices, Mac and PC... I actually work with REAL PEOPLE, and techies... The "REAL PEOPLE" prefer iOS over Android all day... the Techies, not so much... The techies all think everyone wants anything but a walled garden, while the REAL PEOPLE don't really care... they actually like the "walled garden" because they don't spend all day trying to figure out how to change everything on their devices. They just want to use them!
    I don't necessarily agree or disagree with your fundamental premise, but I gotta ask why you demean anyone who doesn't wholeheartedly embrace whatever is SHINY and NEW! with derogatory epithets like "ancient" and "dinosaur?" What leads you to believe that only old people have preferences different than yours? Why do you think old is automatically bad? What do you accomplish by insulting anyone who doesn't share your opinion?

Consider this: Sometimes procedures, methods, structures, and technologies only get to BE old by being good in the first place. If they weren't good, they wouldn't have been around long enough to be old. Also consider that mature methods have had time to iron out the wrinkles so they're generally pretty reliable and tolerant of varied circumstances. Finally, consider that long-standing systems enjoy a wealth of shared knowledge and experience, so there's common language and understanding among users. Even things that aren't perfect may have an advantage by virtue of the shortcomings being well known and understood, rather than being an unwelcome surprise at an inopportune moment.

Bottom line: Newer is not automatically better. Older is not automatically better. Nothing is best for everyone -- what works best for some people will be an utter disaster for others. Keep an open mind, constantly strive for better (as opposed to just newer), and don't assume that YOUR way is always the BEST way for EVERYBODY.
    elijahg
  • Reply 89 of 89
    ipedroipedro Posts: 63member
    The fact that Apple kept the USB port on the bottom of a portrait device — also clearly indicated by the orientation of the Apple logo — tells me that Apple continues to stick with the concept that the iPad should be used as a *pad* of paper, in portrait. When using it as a consumption device, I use my iPad Pro in portrait most of the time. Browsing the web in portrait is like reading a magazine or a book. Shorter lines are easier to read and more content fits on the "page" without scrolling. When using my iPad as a creation device, the same often applies. When writing, I dock my iPad in portrait mode in a slot on my Penna keyboard. It's like writing on a typewriter, again with shorter lines and more of my content seen on one page without scrolling. I also take notes on my iPad. Again, portrait is easier to hold, like a pad of paper. The only time I use my iPad in landscape is when I'm drawing or editing photos, most of which are in landscape orientation. Putting the smart connector on the bottom of a portrait device makes the most sense if the iPad is going to remain a digital version of a pad of paper. If they were to put it on the side, then they would have gone all in and moved the USB port there too and turned the Apple logo as well.
    edited March 2019