ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    So tired of winning....
    baconstang
  • Reply 22 of 41
    ivlad said:
    So tired of winning....
    I'm not. Ready for 6 more years.
  • Reply 23 of 41
    "Trump suggested a 10 percent tax could be applied to the iPhone and other goods, as 'people could stand that very easily.'" Trump didn't "suggest" this at all. The interviewer specificially fed him a question about "even iPhones?" to get a clickbait quote from "the president." And Trump delivered the "sure" response the interviewer calculated.
    Daniel, is that you? Didn't you declare years ago that you were dropping the facade?
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwichmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 24 of 41
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    These tariffs are attempting to treat a symptom (in a rather brute force way that is causing significant collateral damage to consumers) rather than one of the root causes of the illness. This isn't a "China Problem," it's a "United States Problem" and specifically a failure of the educational and civic responsibility systems in the US. The US public has accepted having a third rate primary educational system that craps out millions of "graduates" who are unprepared to do much of anything to contribute to society or even take care of themselves. On the social side there are no expectations around personal civic responsibility or paying back, or paying forward, for the birthright privileges that have been gifted to so many - by virtue of being born.

How does this manifest itself in the world of Apple and tariffs? Take your pick of just about any Fortune 500 company headquartered in the US today. Any company. Any sector. Manufacturing or services. Start asking about job openings. The numbers, across wide swaths of US businesses, are staggering. Hundreds of openings, thousands of openings, the numbers start to boggle the mind and fly in the face of calls to repatriate low-paying and low-skill jobs jobs that have been outsourced to several regions, including but not limited to China, back into the US. The reality is that US companies already have massive numbers of unfilled jobs and rock bottom unemployment. Yeah, these are not low-paying or low-skill jobs. Bringing back low-paying and low-skill jobs to the US will not fill these unfilled "skill" jobs, it will simply shuffle the burden from taxpayers to ...uh, taxpayers, who will now be paying for those "unskilled" jobs via increased prices for goods and services. But again, why not instead focus on filling the "skill" jobs and raising the tide on the overall economy instead of simply playing accounting games with public subsidies and social welfare? Education that's tailored to filling the actual needs of society, whether university based or vocational based, has more promise for a successful outcome than does pointing fingers and blaming someone else one's own problems. Exceptionalism has to be earned. 
    baconstang
  • Reply 25 of 41
    Apple could sue and only pay for thevaue add from the Chinese sourced parts and labor. No point paying a chinese tarriff on a korean screen, taiwanese chips, or malay parts. Otherwise apple will make Them assembled in Mexico. All they have to do is ship the back glass separated a packet of screws and the rest of the phone into Mexico have them put the back glass on put a few screws in and then poof it’s assembled in Mexico
  • Reply 26 of 41
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    adamc said:
    Perhaps the tariff is already baked into the price of the iPhones. Apple already saw it coming so they lowballed their forecast for the first quarter.
    More likely, they were going to raise them by a lot more than that next year anyway, and now the question is if they add this on top too, or just not raise them quite as much.
  • Reply 27 of 41
    wonderwomanwonderwoman Posts: 9unconfirmed, member
    Start packing the assembly lines from China and send it to India, Indonesia, Vietnam or for that matter Taiwan. A lot of companies now have assembly lines in South Asia, might as well swallow the pill and help out democracies! 
    baconstang
  • Reply 28 of 41
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Making America Great Again.....LOL!
  • Reply 29 of 41
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    JWSC said:

The tariffs will be a lose-lose event for everyone in the short term.  But I’m slowly coming around to the realization that the kleptocratic Chinese leadership and US companies that continue to source their products from this regime need a hard ‘biff’ on the nose.

China is not becoming more open with closer economic ties as many had thought it would.  China continues to aggressively steal US IP.  A wake up call is needed.  Whether tariffs are the best answer is debatable.   But the way everyone has been operating needs to change.

This is a huge lie. Who owns the IP? You simplified it too much to US.The US government? This is cheating by you. The IP is owned by companies and individuals. Instead of the nonsense tariff what can be done is for the government to encourage the companies to sue Chinese companies that are using the IP. 
  • Reply 30 of 41
    The most realistic scenario will be Apple to file a lawsuit for unfair competition. Because the main rival Samsung is affected much less by the tariffs, Then a judge will make decision to stop the tariff. Then we just wait for two more years. 
  • Reply 31 of 41
    ahh poor Wall Street and shareholders won’t get as much money for doing nothing. How will the leeches survive?
    baconstang
  • Reply 32 of 41
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    tzeshan said:
    JWSC said:

The tariffs will be a lose-lose event for everyone in the short term.  But I’m slowly coming around to the realization that the kleptocratic Chinese leadership and US companies that continue to source their products from this regime need a hard ‘biff’ on the nose.

China is not becoming more open with closer economic ties as many had thought it would.  China continues to aggressively steal US IP.  A wake up call is needed.  Whether tariffs are the best answer is debatable.   But the way everyone has been operating needs to change.

This is a huge lie. Who owns the IP? You simplified it too much to US.The US government? This is cheating by you. The IP is owned by companies and individuals. Instead of the nonsense tariff what can be done is for the government to encourage the companies to sue Chinese companies that are using the IP. 
    No, China and Chinese companies stealing intellectual property is not a huge lie, it's a huge problem. China wants to play in the world's sandbox but they don't want to play by the same rules as everyone else. I don't agree with Trump on much, but I do agree that China's behavior is a problem
    JWSC
  • Reply 33 of 41
    MplsP said:
    tzeshan said:
    JWSC said:

No, China and Chinese companies stealing intellectual property is not a huge lie, it's a huge problem. China wants to play in the world's sandbox but they don't want to play by the same rules as everyone else. I don't agree with Trump on much, but I do agree that China's behavior is a problem
    Yes, it is a huge lie. Because China is not the originator of stealing intellectual property.  Microsoft stole Apple Mac intellectual property  and put them in the Windows more than thirty years ago. Google steal Apple iPhone intellectual property and put them in Android OS. Why you ignore these egregious stealings? I am not making things up because I read it from Steve Jobs. So US companies have engaged massive stealings from Apple and you pretend that only China is stealing intellectual property. This is a huge lie. 
  • Reply 34 of 41
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    tzeshan said:
    MplsP said:
    tzeshan said:
    JWSC said:

Yes, it is a huge lie. Because China is not the originator of stealing intellectual property.  Microsoft stole Apple Mac intellectual property  and put them in the Windows more than thirty years ago. Google steal Apple iPhone intellectual property and put them in Android OS. Why you ignore these egregious stealings? I am not making things up because I read it from Steve Jobs. So US companies have engaged massive stealings from Apple and you pretend that only China is stealing intellectual property. This is a huge lie. 
    ... where did Microsoft, Google, and everything else come into this? Nobody's saying that it is only China, so I'm not sure what you're flipping out about.
  • Reply 35 of 41
    tzeshan said:
    MplsP said:
    tzeshan said:
    JWSC said:

... where did Microsoft, Google, and everything else come into this? Nobody's saying that it is only China, so I'm not sure what you're flipping out about.
    My point is philosophical. The point is stealing IP is done by everybody. Why single out China only? This makes ignorant people think only China is stealing IP. This is a lie. Further, who originates the IP theft by Huawei? Google? If there is no Android OS like before 2009, there won't be HTC, Samsung, and Huawei stealing IP. Google and Microsoft are teachers, telling Chinese that stealing IP is OK. You don't think Americans are teachers of Chinese? Why there are so many Chinese coming to US universities? Obviously they want to learn from US. US is the teacher of China, the role model. 
  • Reply 36 of 41
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    tzeshan said:
    tzeshan said:
    MplsP said:
    tzeshan said:
    JWSC said:

My point is philosophical. The point is stealing IP is done by everybody. Why single out China only? This makes ignorant people think only China is stealing IP. This is a lie. Further, who originates the IP theft by Huawei? Google? If there is no Android OS like before 2009, there won't be HTC, Samsung, and Huawei stealing IP. Google and Microsoft are teachers, telling Chinese that stealing IP is OK. You don't think Americans are teachers of Chinese? Why there are so many Chinese coming to US universities? Obviously they want to learn from US. US is the teacher of China, the role model. 
    ... they're singling out China only in this post, because that's what the source article is about. The article isn't about Google, or Microsoft, or Samsung or anything else. We have plenty of articles on that.

Just because all these other companies did it, that doesn't mean that China should get a pass.
  • Reply 37 of 41
    No one has been following this?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2018/12/01/donald-trump-xi-jinping-meet-over-dinner-g-20-discuss-trade/2163739002/

The tariffs being raised further are off for now the next few months.

BUENOS AIRES – President Donald Trump's administration said Saturday it will temporarily hold off on a new round of tariffs aimed at China, the first signal of a possible truce after months of escalating trade tension between the two nations.
    The announcement came after Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping met for more than two hours over a steak dinner at the G-20 summit in Argentina, an encounter closely watched by investors and world leaders for signs of a break in the trade battle.
    In a departure from the hard line stance Trump had taken with China for most of the year, the White House said it would suspend for 90 days a 25 percent tariff that had been set to take effect next month on $200 billion in Chinese goods. The administration left open the possibility of raising those tariffs if no deal is worked out in coming months. 

The President is smart to keep the pressure on the Chinese because they are notorious for agreeing to something, then backpedaling. The US needs to keep the threat of financial penalties front and center until they make major changes.

edited December 2018
  • Reply 38 of 41
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    lkrupp said:
    ivanh said:
    "People could stand that very easily."  People could mean Apple investors, Apple shareholders, Apple top executives,.
    Apple could even lower the prices of iPhones by the equivalent tariff and still make huge profit.

Prove it. Pojnt us to valid data that proves your allegation. Otherwise it’s just random blathering in the wind.
    Apple's net profit margin for 2018 was 22% (across all products, but most analysts estimate the iPhone to be greater than that even).  They could absorb a 10% tariff into their bottom line, if they so chose to.
  • Reply 39 of 41
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    tzeshan said:
    MplsP said:
    tzeshan said:
    JWSC said:

It is not a lie and it is not the same as what Microsoft did because companies like Apple had recourse to the law, even though some would argue the law was only partially effective in thwarting Microsoft’s dodgy activities.

The key differentiator is that the Chinese government itself continues to be directly involved in the theft of commercial IP the world over.  The Chinese government works hand in hand with many Chinese companies in this endeavor.  Such close government to private sector cooperation does not exist in the rest of the industrialized world, and it is highly frowned upon.  While a US company might have some recourse in suing a Chinese company, when the Chinese government is the perpetrator the aggrieved company has no recourse to the law.  This is not perceived to be a level playing field by the rest of the world.  It is perceived, accurately in my opinion, as state sponsored theft.

baconstang
  • Reply 40 of 41
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    No one has been following this?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2018/12/01/donald-trump-xi-jinping-meet-over-dinner-g-20-discuss-trade/2163739002/

The tariffs being raised further are off for now the next few months.
    Been following, but really, it’s a big should shrug.  Those Argentine steaks must have been pretty good and put both Presidents in a warm mood.  But don’t fret.  It won’t last.
    edited December 2018